Author Topic: FORMATTING HELP - monospace font - solved  (Read 489 times)  

Offline IreneP

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • IrenePreston.com
FORMATTING HELP - monospace font - solved
« on: August 08, 2016, 01:49:39 PM »
So, my upcoming release has a lot of text messages which, in the MS, I format with an extra indent and switching from TNR to Courrier. It looks GREAT in Word. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to translate so well to e-book formatting.

I set up a separate style for these passages and I'm running it through Jutoh. The ebook result doesn't seem to have the monospace font. It still looks okay on larger screens, but when I test at the mobile sizes even the extra indent is pretty much lost.

Any ideas how I can format this so the "text message" is clearly in a different format? It's not unreadable as is, but it doesn't look nice as I would like.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 04:25:39 PM by IreneP »

Offline Parbar

• View Profile
Re: FORMATTING HELP - different font
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 01:59:39 PM »
This is probably not the answer you are looking for, but one of my novellas has a plot twist which depends on an ambiguous font and the only way I could achieve this in any ebook format was to insert the required text as a picture (jpg) in the exact font of my choice.

Offline IreneP

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • IrenePreston.com
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 02:05:42 PM »
This is probably not the answer you are looking for, but one of my novellas has a plot twist which depends on an ambiguous font and the only way I could achieve this in any ebook format was to insert the required text as a picture (jpg) in the exact font of my choice.

Ah. Well, it was the answer I was hoping not to get. I may have to give up on the font change, but maybe I can play with the spacing a little more. 

Thanks for the answer.

Offline Ms Earl Grey

• Scotland
  • Editor and bookworm
    • View Profile
    • KT Editing Services
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 02:10:21 PM »
I'm not familiar with Jutoh, but you should definitely be able to both indent and make your text messages bold or italic (bold would probably be better) to make them stand out, as I do various things with indents when designing ebooks for my clients.

Offline Gessert Books

• Amarillo, Texas
  • Book Layout and Formatting by Phillip Gessert
    • View Profile
    • Gessert Books: Book Layout and Formatting
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 02:14:05 PM »
I believe you can do this with the <code> tag in HTML, or with font-family: monospace in CSS, but I don't know if it is possible with your Word / Jutoh workflow.

Offline Nick Marsden

• View Profile
    • Nick Marsden Author
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 02:24:47 PM »
I don't think epud/mobi recognizes "Courier" as a font (or rather the ereaders don't unless you add the font to your ebook package). You'd need to set the font to "Monospace" in the html. You can try unpacking it in Sigil and changing all the mentions of Courier (hopefully there is a CSS style that is the same for all your text messages) to font-family: monospace.

In my experience, this is one of the downfalls of having software build your ebook for you: making a change like this becomes 10 times harder because there are probably going to be several different CSS styles for the one type of text you are wanting to change. Or each text message will be styled in-line, meaning you'd have to search your entire document for text messages and change each one separately.

I hate to harp on this: I feel like most of my posts are anti-Jutoh/Calibre/Scrivener formatting. But hand formatting in HTML can be a god-send in times like this.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 02:43:57 PM by Nick Marsden »

Epic Fantasy Author
Nick Marsden | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline Wysardry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 02:37:12 PM »
It doesn't look as if Amazon's list of Supported HTML Tags in Book Content includes any of the tags that would be rendered in a fixed width font (TT, CODE, KBD).

Your best bet is likely to be setting your font to "Monospace" in the CSS file.

Offline Crenel

• Puget Sound region
  • My books won't bite you, I promise.
    • View Profile
    • By the Campfire with Stuart
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 02:47:50 PM »
I hate to harp on this: I feel like most of my posts are anti-Jutoh/Calibre/Scrivener formatting. But hand formatting in HTML can be a god-send in times like this.

This is my take on it as well. Whether people are comfortable with it or not, e-books are computer data, not at all like creating something on paper. Handling that data as data and making it technically correct to begin with will avoid clunky workarounds that look terrible for some readers. (Using an image of text is unwise, to put it mildly.)

The intended goal described by the OP is very easy to accomplish if the data is handled correctly. A CSS class should be defined to declare how the "special" text should appear, which can include indent, alternative font (with that font embedded in the book unless it's a CSS standard font family), etc. Then apply that class to each paragraph container that contains the text that needs to look different. If the text appears within a paragraph of normal text, then wrap the special text in SPAN tags and apply the class to that. Ideally, the CSS class should be defined in a CSS file that is referenced in the chapter files where such text appears, whether that means the main/only CSS file or a separate one for special handling. (The latter often would not be of much value, especially for something as basic as importing a font and defining a class.)
Crenel
(Stuart J. Whitmore)

Promote your book for free on LazySaturdayReads.com.

Offline locker17

• The Bay Area
    • View Profile
    • http://www.locker17.com
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 02:58:26 PM »
This is kind of biased but I loathe the font courier. It reminds me of the sort of people who grew up with no computers and resent those that did. Years ago I sent my manuscript to this new small press publisher who promised feedback as long as you formatted it her way. So I went out of my way to format my sample it her way, crazy margins, crazy indents, courier and I had to go add an extra pointless space to the front of each sentence. I'm surprised she didn't ask for that weird nearly see through typing paper too. She never bothered to get back to me either. So much for her promise.

TL/DR Say no to courier. I would almost rather read a book in comic sans.

Have you seen Ricky? Find him today.
Shannon Brown | website | blog

Offline Nick Marsden

• View Profile
    • Nick Marsden Author
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 03:07:28 PM »
This is kind of biased but I loathe the font courier. It reminds me of the sort of people who grew up with no computers and resent those that did. Years ago I sent my manuscript to this new small press publisher who promised feedback as long as you formatted it her way. So I went out of my way to format my sample it her way, crazy margins, crazy indents, courier and I had to go add an extra pointless space to the front of each sentence. I'm surprised she didn't ask for that weird nearly see through typing paper too. She never bothered to get back to me either. So much for her promise.

TL/DR Say no to courier. I would almost rather read a book in comic sans.

Courier and Courier New (and other monotype fonts) are easier to read on the printed page. Proofreaders and editors (and people who read screenplays) prefer Courier because they usually print the pages out. The "crazy" spacings and margins allow for notes to be taken on the page and for proofreading marks to be written in. That is why traditional publishing has the "proper novel manuscript format" thing. It makes it easier to read and evaluate a book. As a guy who spends 90% of my time staring at a computer screen for my day job, not to mention for writing, it can be an eye saver to do careful work like proofreading on a printed page instead of on a computer screen. But then, I didn't get my first computer until I was fifteen.

Epic Fantasy Author
Nick Marsden | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline Peter Spenser

• near Buffalo, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 03:20:14 PM »
This question comes up often enough that Word Fan asked me to put up a blog post about it.

http://peterspenser.blogspot.com/2016/08/adding-monospaced-text-to-your-e-book.html

It works quite well.

If you have any questions, contact me or her.

Offline IreneP

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • IrenePreston.com
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 03:44:49 PM »
Oh, gosh - I DID IT!!!

And thanks to all those who contributed, your comments helped me figure this out.

I can actually do this using my normal Word to Jutoh method.

The text is saved as a style in Word. And Actually, it's Courier New, which is a monospace font (did I mention that before?).

In Jutoh, I open the style as though to edit. On the advanced tab, I choose Use custom CSS.

Then I compile as usual and it formats correctly.

Offline IreneP

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • IrenePreston.com
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 03:51:53 PM »
Well, mostly correctly. On the really small screens and iPad, it wants to lose the hanging indent, but I think I'm going to call it good.  ;D