KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Nick Bowman Editing: Proofreading from $2.75/1000 words, copyediting from $3.80  (Read 2875 times)  

Offline nickbowmanediting

• Editor
    • View Profile
    • Nick Bowman Editing
Hi, KBoards!

I'm Nick Bowman. I work as an editor, and have done for almost 6 years now. I'd like to offer my services to you, which begin at $2.75 per 1,000 words for proofreading, and $3.80 per 1,000 words for copy editing.

For many readers, the prospect of a new read is damaged by poor spelling, grammar, and structure. As such, editing remains a greatly important element of publishing even in the independent world writers are now afforded - but doing it alone can be challenging.

Finding all errors in a piece of writing is difficult when you have a strong relationship to it. It's for this reason that many independent authors turn to editors: to tighten up their work and ensure readers are won or lost on the story, not the author's technical ability.

I can help.

In this time I have worked in the publishing industry, I have had the pleasure of working with dozens of authors from all areas: fiction and non-fiction; independent and traditionally published. For the vast majority of these clients, I provided editing at various levels of detail, starting from basic line edits, all the way to deeply involved multi-pass literary edits.

My job is to provide the fresh eyes you need, plus a thorough understanding of the mechanics of written language, in order to strengthen your work. But I also understands writers love to bend rules, and so my goal is also to understand your personal voice and style, and preserve it, keeping your book yours and error-free.

You can find my website at http://www.nickbowman-editing.com, where you'll be able to read all the details about each of my services, and their costs. You can also get in touch directly via nickfbowman@gmail.com, or send me a DM here. I'm always happy to help, and I respond to all messages within 24 hours.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 08:15:20 AM by nickbowmanediting »
Nick Bowman Editing:
Proofreading: $2.75 - $3.30/1,000 words
Copy editing: $3.80 - $4.50/1,000 words
Formatting beginning at just $22.95

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Re: Nick Bowman Editing: 33-40% off proofreading and copy editing until Sept 15
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 05:08:21 AM »
Welcome to the KB Writers Cafe!

You're welcome to promote your business and website here in the Writers' Cafe!

Now that you have an official thread, you'll want to add your listing to our Yellow Pages Listing, found here:
http://www.kboards.com/yp/

The listing is free to KB members and is completely self-service; you can add and edit your listing from the page. More information on our Yellow Pages listing can be found here.

In your thread here, we ask that the same basic rules be followed as we have for authors in the Book Bazaar: you may have this one thread about your service and must post to it rather than start a new thread each time. New threads about the service wil be removed. Please bookmark this thread so that you can find it again to post to. And, you may not make back-to-back posts to the thread within seven days. If someone responds (such as this post), you may reply but otherwise must wait seven days, thanks!

Note that members may provide civil and honest feedback about your service to this thread, and you may respond in a civil manner. Disputes between you and clients should be handled off site.

Betsy
KBoards Moderator

Note that this welcome does not constitute an endorsement or vetting of a service by KBoards. Members should do due diligence when considering using a service, for example, by asking KB members for feedback and doing an Internet search such as "service provider name" complaints.
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

• Editor
    • View Profile
    • Nick Bowman Editing
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 09:16:35 AM »
Hi, KBoards. I hope you've all had a pleasant, and productive, week!

I've been working on several items this week, but my queue is now clear and I'm ready to take on new projects.

I'd like to take the opportunity while I'm here to let you know about my formatting offers. Since last week I have revised my pricing, with formatting now available for $15.95 when purchasing a single digital format, up to just $27.95 when purchasing two digital formats (Smashwords, and an EPUB) and a print-ready PDF. These prices are applicable on books of 80,000 words or below, with additional blocks of 40,000 words billed between $5 and $7.50 each, depending on the package.

These prices sink even lower on books I have previously edited, with additional discounts of approximately 10% available - so if you take out proofreading or copy editing, followed by any formatting package, you'll pay between $14.35 and $24.95 for the first 80,000 words.
Nick Bowman Editing:

Online Herefortheride

• Chengdu
  • Loving every minute
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 10:21:54 AM »
Hi, KBoards. I hope you've all had a pleasant, and productive, week!

I've been working on several items this week, but my queue is now clear and I'm ready to take on new projects.

I'd like to take the opportunity while I'm here to let you know about my formatting offers. Since last week I have revised my pricing, with formatting now available for $15.95 when purchasing a single digital format, up to just $27.95 when purchasing two digital formats (Smashwords, and an EPUB) and a print-ready PDF. These prices are applicable on books of 80,000 words or below, with additional blocks of 40,000 words billed between $5 and $7.50 each, depending on the package.

These prices sink even lower on books I have previously edited, with additional discounts of approximately 10% available - so if you take out proofreading or copy editing, followed by any formatting package, you'll pay between $14.35 and $24.95 for the first 80,000 words.

I made be interested sometime in the next two weeks. Have you edited and formated for anyone on kboards recently?
Blood Cauldron (DoH book 3): 93%
H.C. Harrington

• Editor
    • View Profile
    • Nick Bowman Editing
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 10:33:31 AM »
I certainly have. I provided digital formats for Alex Mahon, wearywanderer64, just this past weekend. (Alex's thread enquiring after formatting is here.) This week I also provided copy editing for an upcoming book by Chris Ward, who reached out to me via email after seeing this thread last week. I concluded working on Chris's project yesterday afternoon.
Nick Bowman Editing:

Online Herefortheride

• Chengdu
  • Loving every minute
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 11:18:02 AM »
I certainly have. I provided digital formats for Alex Mahon, wearywanderer64, just this past weekend. (Alex's thread enquiring after formatting is here.) This week I also provided copy editing for an upcoming book by Chris Ward, who reached out to me via email after seeing this thread last week. I concluded working on Chris's project yesterday afternoon.

Sounds good. Let me tidy up and send it over for you to proofread and format next week.
H.C. Harrington

• Editor
    • View Profile
    • Nick Bowman Editing
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 11:22:25 AM »
That sounds great. I look forward to working with you.
Nick Bowman Editing:

Offline wearywanderer64

• Spain
  • I wander lonely as a cloud
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 11:33:54 AM »
I can vouch for Nick. I employed his services to format my two books below signature line. Fast, efficient service.

Offline ChrisWard

• View Profile
    • A Million Miles from Anywhere
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 01:58:22 PM »
Nick was awesome. Couldn't believe how fast he was and he did a really thorough job. I'm looking forward to working with him again soon.

• Editor
    • View Profile
    • Nick Bowman Editing
Hello, KBoards! I hope you've all had a pleasant start to the week.

As September 15th approaches, I have received a great many messages from authors who wish to take advantage of the discounts I have available on proofreading and copy editing. I have also received a large number from people who were not able to get in prior to the promotion's September 15th end date. With this in mind, I am extending the 33 - 40% discounts applied to my editing services. These will now be available until October 16th, so everyone who wasn't able to make the initial deadline can comfortably get in.

I've really enjoyed working with KBoard members, and I'm excited to work with even more of you in the coming weeks.
Nick Bowman Editing:

Offline steffmetal

• New Zealand
  • Author - Metalhead - Sherlockian
    • View Profile
    • Steff Metal
Re: Nick Bowman Editing: 33-40% off proofreading and copy editing until Oct 16th
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 01:10:47 PM »
Hey Nick, is it possible to pay for / reserve a spot for a book that isn't done yet? I'd like to take advantage of the special, but my next book won't be finished until the end of the month.

Cheers!

Author of paranormal romance and dark fantasy. Metalhead. Blogger. Obsessed with ducks.
Steffanie Holmes | S. C. Green | blog | facebook | twitter | newsletter | Goodreads

• Editor
    • View Profile
    • Nick Bowman Editing
Re: Nick Bowman Editing: 33-40% off proofreading and copy editing until Oct 16th
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 01:35:15 PM »
Hi, Steff. You can absolutely reserve a spot, and no deposit is necessary. Just send me a message or email with the date you'd like to book, and I'll put you down in my calendar.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 01:55:43 PM by nickbowmanediting »
Nick Bowman Editing:

• Editor
    • View Profile
    • Nick Bowman Editing
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 12:48:26 PM »
Hi, KBoards. I hope you're all having a great and productive week so far.

I have a number of bookings in the coming weeks, but I do have space for some additional editing or proofreading work in this final week of September, as well as room to take on projects throughout the month of October, both before and after the 16th. Feel free to send me a message if you'd like to discuss any work you'd like undertaken. You can contact me here on KBoards, or via email: nickfbowman@gmail.com.
Nick Bowman Editing:

• Editor
    • View Profile
    • Nick Bowman Editing
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 06:20:58 AM »
Hey, KBoards!

My formatting prices are changing! The current rates will continue to be applicable on all existing bookings, but new projects taken on after October 6th will be under a new pricing structure. I'll update next week when this goes live. In the meantime, the existing rates are still available for another week.

As always, if you'd like to hire me for any formatting or editing projects, which remain discounted until the end of October 16th, please feel free to send me a message here, or drop me an email: nickfbowman@gmail.com.
Nick Bowman Editing:

• Editor
    • View Profile
    • Nick Bowman Editing
Hey, KBoards. As I mentioned last week, my formatting rates have now changed. The new prices can be found here, and start at $22.95.

There are now 10 days until the current discounts on proofreading and copy editing expire. Things are looking pretty tight, but I have a little bit of room around my existing bookings which I can get a couple of last projects into before the 16th. As ever, feel free to PM me or send an email to discuss your project: nickfbowman@gmail.com.
Nick Bowman Editing:

• Editor
    • View Profile
    • Nick Bowman Editing
Hello again, KBoards!

Starting today my adjusted editing rates have gone live. These remain discounted until November 15th, with new costs of $1.20/1000 words for proofreading, and $1.80 per 1000 words for copy editing. I've got a few spaces still available over the rest of October, and my schedule in November remains largely open, so if you'd like to take out any of my services, feel free to send me a message here on KBoards, or send me an email: nickfbowman@gmail.com.

Have a great, productive week!
Nick Bowman Editing:

• Editor
    • View Profile
    • Nick Bowman Editing
I'm now taking bookings for November. As ever, if there's anything you'd like to discuss, feel free to send me a PM or an email: nickfbowman@gmail.com.
Nick Bowman Editing:

Offline adornoda

• Saint Paul, MN
    • View Profile
    • Daniel Adorno - Author of Fantasy and Science Fiction
Just wanted to throw my hat in this thread and say that Nick is a consummate professional. He edited and formatted my manuscript in a timely manner and stuck firmly to the dates he set. Whenever there were changes to be made, he was prompt, courteous, and fast! It's every author's dream to work with a freelance editor as attentive to detail and quick to please as Nick Bowman. Do yourself a favor and hire him now--you won't regret it.  :D

Daniel Adorno | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads

Online Herefortheride

• Chengdu
  • Loving every minute
    • View Profile
I also had a professional and quality experience with Nick's editing service.   :)
H.C. Harrington

• Editor
    • View Profile
    • Nick Bowman Editing
Thank you, Daniel and Mr Harrington! It was a great pleasure working with both of you.
Nick Bowman Editing:

Offline ChristinaGarner

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
    • ChristinaGarner.com
Hi Nick--what's our turnaround time? I'll be needing proofreading in 3-4 weeks.

• Editor
    • View Profile
    • Nick Bowman Editing
Hi, Christina. Turnaround varies based on project length, but to give a rough idea, proofreading an 80k manuscript tends to take 4-5 working days.
Nick Bowman Editing:

Offline ChristinaGarner

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
    • ChristinaGarner.com
Hi, Christina. Turnaround varies based on project length, but to give a rough idea, proofreading an 80k manuscript tends to take 4-5 working days.

That seems perfectly reasonable :) Thanks for the info and you're on my list to contact in a week or two.

Offline cadle-sparks

• View Profile
I used Nick for the first time this week on a published book that had been proofed by four or five of the picky amateurs I use (librarians or professors, most of them, and one kboards writer pal), and he found several more errors and even pointed out a logical timeline error in something a character said. It also helped me add a few lines to my editing macro, as I see I have some recurring issues that I can fix with the macro to save him from having to repeat it 100 more times to me in the future. He's good. If you need a new proofreader, he may well be your guy.

• Editor
    • View Profile
    • Nick Bowman Editing
Thanks, Lou, for your feedback!

Hi again, KBoards! A number of updates have gone live on my website today. Here's the low-down:

The previous discounts on proofreading and copy editing have changed. Proofreading is now discounted by 10%, to a cost of $1.35 per 1,000 words. This discount will be available until the end of December 9th.

Copy editing has been adjusted! I've had the pleasure of working on many great books, and for some of them there is much less advice I can provide. As such, copy editing is now on a flexible rate. Typically priced $2.10 - $2.50 per 1,000 words, it is currently discounted to $1.80 - $2.10 per 1,000 words. As above, this discount will be available until the end of December 9th.

I've also introduced a new service. Traditional publishing houses employ whole teams of editors and proofreaders across multiple passes of a book; as such, I'm now offering a second pass option. Comprising a second proofread, or a discounted one if I previously copy edited your book, it's available for $1.00 or $1.25 per 1,000 words respectively.

Finally, I've added a few new testimonials.

If you'd like to know more, or book a piece of work with me, please don't hesitate to get in touch either here on KBoards, or via email: nickfbowman@gmail.com.

Have a great week!
Nick Bowman Editing:

• Editor
    • View Profile
    • Nick Bowman Editing
Hi, KBoards. I hope you've all had a good start to the week!

I'm now taking bookings for the 1st of December onward. If there's anything you'd like me to work on, feel free to send me a PM here, or drop me an email: nickfbowman@gmail.com.
Nick Bowman Editing:

• Editor
    • View Profile
    • Nick Bowman Editing
Slots are quickly filling up for the rest of the month. I'll be working right the way through until December 24th, picking back up around the 27th - so if you're planning on getting your book out in time for the holiday or early in the new year, feel free to get in touch via PM here on KBoards, or send me an email to discuss your project: nickfbowman@gmail.com.
Nick Bowman Editing:

• Editor
    • View Profile
    • Nick Bowman Editing
Hi, Alvina, and thanks for your message. I've sent one back your way.
Nick Bowman Editing:

• Editor
    • View Profile
    • Nick Bowman Editing
I'm now scheduling for the new year. Please feel free to reach out here or via email, nickfbowman@gmail.com, to make a booking or discuss a project.

Happy holidays!
Nick Bowman Editing:

• Editor
    • View Profile
    • Nick Bowman Editing
Happy holidays, KBoards!

I still have a number of slots available in January. If you'd like to book or discuss a project, please feel free to PM me or send an email: nickfbowman@gmail.com.
Nick Bowman Editing:

• Editor
    • View Profile
    • Nick Bowman Editing
Happy New Year!

I still have several slots available throughout January and beyond. Feel free to get in touch via PM, or by email nickfbowman@gmail.com to discuss your project.
Nick Bowman Editing:

Offline CarissaNasyra

• View Profile
I just wanted to step up here and say that I worked with Nick on my first ever novel, Shrouds of Silver, and I was very impressed with his work. I had worked with other editors prior to him, and comparatively, Nick was professional, responsive, and did fantastic work. I especially love that he includes a "big picture" document that points out some running writing trends or problems that he noticed throughout the full novel (for example, my penchant for overusing the phrase "for a moment"...  ;D ).

He has my next book now, and I plan to continue to work with him. He's a wonderful editor and a real professional. I feel like I got very lucky by picking his name out of the Kboards directory.

• Editor
    • View Profile
    • Nick Bowman Editing
Hey, KBoards! I hope you're all having a great and productive (vacations excused) start to the summer.

I'm now taking bookings for the months ahead for proofreading, copy editing, and formatting projects.
Nick Bowman Editing:

Online LilyBLily

• View Profile
Wondering how many typos you typically find in 1,000 words.

• Editor
    • View Profile
    • Nick Bowman Editing
Wondering how many typos you typically find in 1,000 words.

It very much depends. In the cleanest manuscripts, it's not uncommon for there to be only 1 to 2 errors per 1,000 words. The manuscripts that require heaviest editing may have 20 to 30. Some require even heavier editing than this, although it's uncommon. An average project tends to be around 8 to 12 errors per 1,000 words.
Nick Bowman Editing:

Online LilyBLily

• View Profile
It very much depends. In the cleanest manuscripts, it's not uncommon for there to be only 1 to 2 errors per 1,000 words. The manuscripts that require heaviest editing may have 20 to 30. Some require even heavier editing than this, although it's uncommon. An average project tends to be around 8 to 12 errors per 1,000 words.

Thanks for this info. I'm a firm believer in a proofreading pass, but as a former professional proofreader myself, I'm ending up with very few typos for my proofreader to catch. In fact, the most recent number was so laughably low I wondered if the proofreader I'd hired was doing a good job or if the ms. truly was almost sparkling clean. I'm reluctant to find out the hard way by publishing without another set of eyes, though.   

Online Herefortheride

• Chengdu
  • Loving every minute
    • View Profile
Nick-I'm trying to get a hold of you by email.
H.C. Harrington

• Editor
    • View Profile
    • Nick Bowman Editing
I hope everyone here at KBoards is doing well as autumn approaches.

I'm now taking bookings throughout October, heading into the rest of the year. If you'd like to discuss any editing or formatting projects, please get in touch via personal message, or by shooting an email to nickfbowman@gmail.com.
Nick Bowman Editing:

Offline RichardHein

• View Profile
Giving a shout out to Nick's editing services. The piece he edited will be coming out in the next two weeks or so, and his work was quick and thorough. I'm very impressed with the service. The editor I worked with on my last novel left a lot to be desired, so I went with Nick Bowman for the sequel and everything turned out great.

• Editor
    • View Profile
    • Nick Bowman Editing
Nick Bowman Editing has moved!

You can now find my site at http://www.nickbowman-editing.com. (Sorry if anyone visited the old website to find a 404 error this past week!)

I'm still taking bookings for the month of November and beyond.
Nick Bowman Editing:

Online Herefortheride

• Chengdu
  • Loving every minute
    • View Profile
Nick has helped me on several formatting projects and has been very professional. I'll certainly continue to work with him when I get the chance.
H.C. Harrington

• Editor
    • View Profile
    • Nick Bowman Editing
Nick has helped me on several formatting projects and has been very professional. I'll certainly continue to work with him when I get the chance.

Thank you!
Nick Bowman Editing:

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac