KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Eeep! My first BOOKBUB happening today - LGBT  (Read 1200 times)  

Offline IreneP

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • IrenePreston.com
Eeep! My first BOOKBUB happening today - LGBT
« on: September 10, 2016, 11:04:41 AM »
I got my first Bookbub!

I'm so excited-nervous-excited-nervous.

Few questions...

#1 - International Pricing
I do B&N, Kobo, and iBooks through D2d. Bookbub sent me a list of territories, vendors, pricing for the promo. (I'm doing $0.99). If I set my price on D2D at $0.99, does that take care of everything? I don't think I have any control over the specific territories for each vendor, do I? Will this work? Amazon is good. I just unchecked the box for basing everything on US and conformed the pricing.

#2 - Pricing of other books.
Books are NOT in a series, but generally when I do a sale I get a little sell-thru to my other contemporaries. The MOST likely other book to sell from this one just came off sale last month. Originally I had thought to leave it at regular price. Now I'm second-guessing and wondering whether I should put it down to at least $1.99 to encourage more sell-thru? Opinions?

#3 - It's all on the Bub
Because I've been in the middle of so much other promo lately, I've kind of dropped the ball on stacking other sites on the Bub. Anybody ever done a Bub with no real surrounding promo? Results?

#4 -Ack!
Is it normal to feel a little like puking the first time you get accepted?
Okay, seriously, this isn't my normal reaction to good news, but I had a what if I manage to flub this moment.

All experiences and input appreciated!

« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 08:40:39 AM by IreneP »

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
    • J. R. Tomlin on Writing and More
Re: Eeep! I got a BOOKBUB - noob questions
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 11:17:43 AM »
In my experience, stacking is just a bonus, BB by itself will give you excellent results. Good luck!

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin | J. R. Tomlin | Writing and More

Offline crusoe

• Writer
    • View Profile
    • Aravinda Loop
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 11:34:15 AM »
First of all, CONGRATS Irene! I'm shooting for a BB in a couple weeks, and I'm doing everything to stack the odds in my favor. (They've been super helpful in email support.)

I don't use D2D, so I can't speak to your first question, but I would definitely encourage you to NOT price anything at $1.99. It's been proven to have the lowest sell through of any price. (See point #7 at this super useful Smashwords article analyzing their stats.)

Dropping your price on another one of your popular books, might not be a bad idea... IF that book is part of a series and funnels readers to future books. Either way, choose 99 cents or $2.99, never $1.99. It truly is the sweet spot of suck.

As for point 3, I'll echo was JR said. Getting a BB is like hitting a gong that reverberates for days. Make sure you keep your discounted price at least 3 days after, as well. And good luck!

I write heart-expanding Mythic Sci-Fi that predicted gravity waves, years before they were proven in 2016.  Follow along on my travels to Hawaii & beyond → 🌺

Offline ADDavies

• Staffordshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 12:49:26 PM »
As long as you change the price in all the territories to the correct amount manually in D2D and Amazon you should be fine. Too much fluctuation otherwise. There are some smaller sites you can stack at short notice too if you want to. Bookraid, Bknights that sort of thing. Maybe Bargainbooksy. Probably too late for ENT and FKBT.

Good luck!
Adam Park #5 : 100%

Offline IreneP

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • IrenePreston.com
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 02:52:04 PM »
Thanks for the advice y'all.

I was pretty sure I was good with D2D didn't have any way to be sure.

Offline jenncrowell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 03:32:17 PM »
Congrats, Irene! I just got a BB too, and I am feeling exactly the same way! Mine's not till mid-October, so I'm going to attempt to stack ads, but based on all the reports I've seen, you should be in great shape even without extra promo.

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 04:45:46 PM »
Either way, choose 99 cents or $2.99, never $1.99. It truly is the sweet spot of suck.

Which is why it's currently Amazon's promo price of choice, I presume.

My thoughts looking at older Smashwords and Kobo data around the $1.99 price, which, unsurprisingly, my thoughts don't jive with Mark's analysis of the same data. Still pretty much in line with what I think today... http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,226948.msg3164790.html#msg3164790

Offline IreneP

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • IrenePreston.com
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 05:12:19 PM »
Which is why it's currently Amazon's promo price of choice, I presume.

My thoughts looking at older Smashwords and Kobo data around the $1.99 price, which, unsurprisingly, my thoughts don't jive with Mark's analysis of the same data. Still pretty much in line with what I think today... http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,226948.msg3164790.html#msg3164790

Hi Phoenix!

I was sort of hoping you would jump in because you've had thoughts about $1.99. before.

So, if you were me, would you price book 2 at:

• $0.99 - it's not lighting the world on fire up 'till now - might as well see how many readers I can attract, after all Bookbub peeps expect a bargain
  • $1.99 - Hopefully still pull in some sell-thru, but nab a little extra profit
  • $2.99  - Screw it. Full price. It just came off sale. Anyone who really loves me will pay it or hang tight until the next price drop.

FWIW - I sincerely hate that 35% royalty.

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 06:50:56 PM »
I've run a lot of books through BookBub for several authors and watched a bunch of other authors' runs. With the usual caveats firmly in place, what I GENERALLY see is limited buy-through to other books not in the same series.

Books in the same series at 99 in most genres will often hit sub-#500s. $2.99 in the same series will often hit sub-#3000. $4.99 can hit sub-#5000, but that's more rare. Sub-#15,000 is more common at $4.99.

So that's same-series. Results won't be near that for non-series. Yes, there'll be some immediate sell-through, but I'm speaking comparatively. I would say that since it's your first BB, the audience doesn't know you or follow you yet, so why not earn a little more goodwill at 99 cents? If that thought makes you sleep ill at night, then try $1.99. It'll help if that second book is in the alsobots of your first book. Especially at Amazon and BN.

If you're looking mainly for a visibility boost, it matters, I think, what the normal average sales are for your non-BB'd book. If you sell 10-20 per day at $2.99 or more, then discounting may not be the way to go for a non-series book. If your sales would normally be 0-3 per day, then at 99 cents or $1.99 you'll get a little extra visibility and you're certainly not going to lose money, so why not make the customers feel good about a bargain and make yourself feel good about a bit of a rank boost since it won't cost you any extra?

Whatever you do, one thing's certain. You'll be second-guessing your decision from now until at least a week after your BB ad has run. ;)

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 07:00:19 PM »
I don't stack at all, because I try to get one Bookbub a year per title of each of my series starters, and I use the other venues (Freebooksy etc.) to prop up the sales when they start sagging after the Bookbub. You can't do that if you use them all up in one go.

Offline IreneP

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • IrenePreston.com
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 07:52:53 PM »

Whatever you do, one thing's certain. You'll be second-guessing your decision from now until at least a week after your BB ad has run. ;)

Oh, god - you so know me.

Also, the real goal would be some visibility for my new series (yay! I'm finally writing a series). Except, of course, it is a small sub-genre jump (PNR). I managed to track results from another Bookbub author who had both contemp. and PNR, and... results not encouraging. Which doesn't mean I'm not stoked about the 'bub - but it looks like the PNR is going to have to sink or swim on it's own.

I think I'm going to discount. You're right - I'm not really going to be leaving a lot of money on the table and the point of the promo is to draw in new readers. The other book is too short to ever get a Bookbub, so I might as well piggyback it as much as I am able.

Offline IreneP

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • IrenePreston.com
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 07:54:33 PM »
I don't stack at all, because I try to get one Bookbub a year per title of each of my series starters, and I use the other venues (Freebooksy etc.) to prop up the sales when they start sagging after the Bookbub. You can't do that if you use them all up in one go.

Excellent point.

Also, your SF/F promo rocked. I definitely picked up some preorders for the new pnr/uf thingy. Thanks so much!

Offline IreneP

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • IrenePreston.com
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 07:55:21 PM »
Congrats, Irene! I just got a BB too, and I am feeling exactly the same way! Mine's not till mid-October, so I'm going to attempt to stack ads, but based on all the reports I've seen, you should be in great shape even without extra promo.

You mean you almost puked, too??

Seriously, congrats!

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
    • J. R. Tomlin on Writing and More
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2016, 10:25:03 PM »
Excellent point, Patty. I always knew you were a smart one. I'll just steal that strategy. :)

And, Phoenix, thanks for the link about price points. I hadn't seen that post before. Something to take into serious consideration with promotion pricing.

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin | J. R. Tomlin | Writing and More

Offline IreneP

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • IrenePreston.com
Re: Eeep! My first BOOKBUB happening today - LGBT
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2016, 08:43:12 AM »
Today is the day!

Okay... so I haven't got my email yet, but Bookbub hasn't emailed me that anything went wrong and... I NOTICED when somebody started getting theirs. Wowser!  :o

I assume they did a good job on the blurb!

Offline Anma Natsu

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Anma Natsu
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2016, 08:59:07 AM »
Congrats...I got my BookBub email about an hour ago.  Yours was the first book in it :D

Here is the blurb they used, if you don't want to wait: "Chef Garrett has always kept his feelings for his business partner, Carlo, on the back burner. But when a rumor stirs up hidden passions, their relationship heats up in this steamy romance. "

Offline IreneP

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • IrenePreston.com
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2016, 09:29:07 AM »
Ooooh. Thanks! They did a good job.

I think with the sweet cover, people won't get the idea that it's erotica despite the "steamy" phrasing.

#happy

Online Adair Hart

• Columbus, Ohio
  • Everything is as it should be
    • View Profile
    • Adair Hart
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2016, 10:00:38 AM »
Good luck Irene! 8)

The Earthborn Series prequel: 20%
Book 1 of the Earthborn series: 20%
Book 7 of the Evaran Chronicles: 20%

The Evaran Chronicles - Join Evaran and his human companions on their journey through space and time!
Adair Hart | Website | Facebook

Offline IreneP

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • IrenePreston.com
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2016, 12:57:17 PM »
About 3pm here. My "fun little foodie" is sitting at #600 in the kindle store and I'm just broke even on the promo (just counting 'zon sales).

I mean, I've watched these. I knew what should happen. But it is till incredibly thrilling to see my book at under 1K for the first time.