KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: 4 years, 20 books, $1.43 million, 700,000 sold: Writing for love & money  (Read 12297 times)  

Offline Usedtoposthere

• View Profile

On September 1, 2012, I held my breath and pushed the KDP "Publish" button for the first time, and sent off my first three books into the world.

I had never read a craft book or taken a writing class. My first book was my first fiction. I started writing it, and it just--boom. Felt like I'd found what I was born to do, 50 years AFTER I was born. I thought the books were pretty good, but, man, I really had no idea.

Boy, was I nervous. I just prayed I wouldn't crash and burn, and hoped in my wildest dreams that I'd make back my $1,400 investment by Christmas.

It took 10 days.

So it's been four years. In that time, I've written 20 books (about 2 million words in all--average length about 100K). I've sold (or had borrowed) about 700,000 books in ebook, audio, German ebook, and print (very few there!). I've made $1.43 million dollars [edited; I added wrong], and in 2016, for the first time, I should crack the $500K/year mark. This past year, I wrote 600,000 edited words--another personal record.

So--yeah. That's not bad. And yet...and yet. I still compare myself to other, better-selling authors all the time. I still hear that it's much more profitable to write 50K or 70K books, which I could get out there every month or six weeks, instead of every two and a half or three months. I still hear advice about studying the market and dissecting books and writing to trend, and wonder, "Should I do that?"

And still...what I actually DO, always, is write exactly what I want to write. I still need a few weeks between books to think up the new one. I still write in three or four subgenres in romance instead of sticking to one thing, with not always optimal results sales-wise. I still jump around in series instead of dancing with the one what brung me. I still write 2K to 8K a day instead of 10K, because I edit extremely heavily as I go, and I go back over and over my work to polish it. I'm a little faster than I used to be--writing a 100K book still takes about six weeks, as it did from the start, but editing has gone from a month to a week. But I don't use any techniques to get faster. I'm still in Select and not wide. I've still never put a nekkid manchest on one of my covers.

Basically, "artist me" wins every time. (Though I feel pretty uncomfortable with that "artist" label--call it "craftsman me.") What I want above all else is to learn and grow and try new things and take risks, as uncomfortable and scary as it is. Fortunately, I have some readers who will read me across subgenres and series, and my sales stay fairly steady over time; my early books still sell. So--it's a different way to "do" a career, but it's not bad.

I'm still struggling to accept that doing it my way probably means never cracking the really big time. I'll say I want to, but I'll start that new series anyway. Because I don't need a million dollars a year. I NEED the creative fulfillment of meeting that challenge, of pushing that new boundary, of writing in first person or writing a mystery that really works. Whatever it is.

I think my way "works," inasmuch as it does, because I do understand at a fundamental level what readers in my genre are reading for. It's not really "about" billionaires, stepbrothers, bear shifters, rock stars, or motorcycle guys. (Which is lucky for me.) It's about escape, and fun, and above all else, emotion. It's about believing in these people, feeling with these people. It's about being taken for a ride, even if that's not a bumpy rollercoaster one (I tend to write at the lower-drama end of the scale).

There are lots of readers out there. Figure out what your genre's readers really want, underneath the surface trappings, and satisfy that need. You might never hit seven figures a year, but maybe you'll get to spend a few months in New Zealand every year. And that's pretty nice.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 08:58:54 PM by Rosalind J »

Out_there

Re: 4 years, 20 books, $1.33 million, 750,000 sold: Writing for love & money
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 01:51:55 PM »
Thanks for the post. You sound wildly successful without letting the process suck your soul out. Good for you. Continued success.

Offline PaulLev

• New York City
  • I was here three months from now.
    • View Profile
    • Paul Levinson's Infinite Regress
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 01:56:07 PM »
Congratulations indeed!

Online EB

• used to care
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 01:57:09 PM »
Thank you for sharing. I always look forward to your posts. It's awesome to see how your hard work has paid off.  8) 8)

Offline evdarcy

• Cheshire, UK
    • View Profile
    • My Author Site
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 01:57:19 PM »
And still...what I actually DO, always, is write exactly what I want to write. I still need a few weeks between books to think up the new one. I still write in three or four subgenres in romance instead of sticking to one thing, with not always optimal results sales-wise. I still jump around in series instead of dancing with the one what brung me. I still write 2K to 8K a day instead of 10K, because I edit extremely heavily as I go, and I go back over and over my work to polish it. I'm a little faster than I used to be--writing a 100K book still takes about six weeks, as it did from the start, but editing has gone from a month to a week. But I don't use any techniques to get faster. I'm still in Select and not wide. I've still never put a nekkid manchest on one of my covers.

Basically, "artist me" wins every time. (Though I feel pretty uncomfortable with that "artist" label--call it "craftsman me.") What I want above all else is to learn and grow and try new things and take risks, as uncomfortable and scary as it is. Fortunately, I have some readers who will read me across subgenres and series, and my sales stay fairly steady over time; my early books still sell. So--it's a different way to "do" a career, but it's not bad.

I think my way "works," inasmuch as it does, because I do understand at a fundamental level what readers in my genre are reading for. It's not really "about" billionaires, stepbrothers, bear shifters, rock stars, or motorcycle guys. (Which is lucky for me.) It's about escape, and fun, and above all else, emotion. It's about believing in these people, feeling with these people. It's about being taken for a ride, even if that's not a bumpy rollercoaster one (I tend to write at the lower-drama end of the scale).

This, all this!  This is exactly how I want to write, how I want to get my tales out there.  I'm not looking to be a millionaire, just to be successful enough to give up teaching and write full time.  I don't want to write to market, I want to write the stories that I have to tell. The ones that I want to live!

Thank you for sharing this, for letting me see that I don't need to do x, y and z in order to achieve my heart's desire, I just need to follow said heart!

E. V. Darcy | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Blog

Offline Sara C

• New Mexico
    • View Profile
Re: 4 years, 20 books, $1.33 million, 700,000 sold: Writing for love & money
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 02:05:15 PM »
You're an inspiration. Thanks for sharing!

Sara C Roethle | Website

Online EC Sheedy

• BC, Canada
  • "Words are Deeds." Wittgenstein
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 02:07:49 PM »
Rosalind, thank so much for posting your story. It's awesome and inspiring.

We all need to be reminded that the pure delight in writing is in doing it our way--for better or worse. I believe those talented writers who can produce a book a month have their own kind of delight and sense of fulfillment. And, yes, I occasionally envy them.

When I get down about my own lack of production (which isn't even in the same league as yours!) I remind myself--again--that each writing path is as unique as the fingerprints on the keyboard, and I try never to check in to the Blue Guilt Motel that is always advertising from the side of the road. And I read stories like yours . . .   :)

I deeply admire your work, your contributions to this board, and your sure-footed way of handling your success.

"We don't need a list of rights and wrongs, tables of dos and don'ts: we need books, time, and silence.
Thou shalt not is soon forgotten, but Once upon a time lasts forever."   ― Philip Pullman

Offline carrie 123

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 02:11:37 PM »
You're awesome, Rosalind. You are hugely successful and get to do a job you love. Can't beat that! Thanks for sharing :)

Online Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2016, 02:11:40 PM »
Great post, Rosalind. As other people have said, you're always an inspiration.

Offline Howietzer

• That's THREE baby!!
    • View Profile
    • Idea Forge Publishing
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2016, 02:28:19 PM »
Bravo!!! Always enjoy your posts and insight. Thanks so much for sharing. :)

Offline SarahHope

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2016, 02:31:59 PM »
what an inspirational post. It's great to hear how others have and continue to succeed. Thank you.

Sarah Hope

Offline lyndabelle

• California
    • View Profile
    • Lynda Belle's Blog/Website
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2016, 02:32:11 PM »
Roselind, I want to be you when I grow up.

Thanks for proving that you can go out there, write the book you want to write, and make money. It is my dream. I'm doing the writing, but working toward getting that money. My take away from your post: write longer. Longer books seem to sell better. *sigh*
But I'm always finding that my books end up being shorter. Not sure if it's just me, or the fact I'm still learning how to get my books to be more noticed.
I guess if the same path worked for everyone, life wouldn't be as much fun or a challenge.

Thanks for posting that it is possible to make it all happen.  ;)

Lynda Belle | Website | Amazon Author Page

Offline Kit Hallows

• View Profile
    • Kit Hallows
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2016, 02:33:46 PM »
This is a hugely inspiring read! I'm three weeks from publishing my first novel and it's posts like these that motivate me to believe anything is possible.
Thank you!

Kit Hallows | Website | Twitter

Offline katygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2016, 02:35:08 PM »
Wow!  I consider you fairly big time.  Thank you for still hanging out at boards and inspiring those of us just starting out.

Offline Scout

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2016, 02:39:15 PM »
Amazing story. Congrats!

Offline Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2016, 02:48:22 PM »
Roselind, I want to be you when I grow up.

Thanks for proving that you can go out there, write the book you want to write, and make money. It is my dream. I'm doing the writing, but working toward getting that money. My take away from your post: write longer. Longer books seem to sell better. *sigh*
But I'm always finding that my books end up being shorter. Not sure if it's just me, or the fact I'm still learning how to get my books to be more noticed.
I guess if the same path worked for everyone, life wouldn't be as much fun or a challenge.

Thanks for posting that it is possible to make it all happen.  ;)
Most bestselling authors in romance seem to write more like the 75K level, so I'm not so sure about that! The book that's coming out in February from Montlake is 145K. That's just crazy long. Takes a long time to write, and it's not profit-maximizing. So I'd say, from a "sales" point of view, writing shorter is probably better.

Offline Rica G

• Sydney
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2016, 02:52:59 PM »
Thank you :) Very inspiring post.

2.5 Novella WIP: 100%

Offline CJArcher

• View Profile
    • CJ Archer
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2016, 02:55:48 PM »
What an awesome post! Congratulations on your success, and thanks for the reminder that it's possible to do incredibly well by doing things your own way.
TRY FOR FREE 

C.J. Archer: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Tumblr

Offline IreneP

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • IrenePreston.com
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2016, 04:06:43 PM »
Thanks for sharing! I always love to hear from authors who have had success writing exactly what they want to write!

Offline Karl Fields

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2016, 04:12:04 PM »
Thanks for posting this Rosalind. I needed to read something like this today. Congratulations and best wishes for continued success!

Offline Andrew Dorn

• Montreal, Canada
  • Live from icy but warm-hearted Montreal!
    • View Profile
    • Andrew's Website
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2016, 04:38:47 PM »
Very informative and interesting post. Thanks Rosalind and all the best for your next 20 books!
My first SF novel: 99%
Andrew Dorn | Andrew's Website | Twitter | Facebook

Offline James R Wells

• Bellingham, WA
  • Without Fear, Speak What is True - Axiom
    • View Profile
    • The Great Symmetry
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2016, 04:48:14 PM »
Wow, on a break from deep inside Volume II, it's humbling to read this, both on the levels of success and also tremendous effort.

My favorite parts, subsetted here with a comment below.

And still...what I actually DO, always, is write exactly what I want to write. ... I still write in three or four subgenres in romance instead of sticking to one thing, with not always optimal results sales-wise. I still jump around in series instead of dancing with the one what brung me.

I think my way "works," inasmuch as it does, because I do understand at a fundamental level what readers in my genre are reading for. ... It's about escape, and fun, and above all else, emotion. It's about believing in these people, feeling with these people. It's about being taken for a ride, even if that's not a bumpy rollercoaster one (I tend to write at the lower-drama end of the scale).

There are lots of readers out there. Figure out what your genre's readers really want, underneath the surface trappings, and satisfy that need.

In any business, there is an "optimal" way to make the donuts. And that way works for a lot of businesses. Choose the right kind of donut, be efficient, get it done, make sure it's good enough, make the next donut. There's always someone who will want a donut.

But sometimes that model doesn't work. Sometimes "optimal" doesn't produce the best actual result.

What I'm reading from this inspiring post is: Yes, do find the processes that are efficient and effective, that will help you in the market. Then do only those things that are true to yourself and your intent.

James R Wells | The Great Symmetry

Offline Denise Templey

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2016, 04:49:06 PM »
Congrats, Rosalind. Great post (as always).

Happy reading:)

Offline pwtucker

• Asheville, NC
    • View Profile
    • TransientMe
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2016, 05:21:43 PM »
Thank you for sharing, Rosalind, and huge congrats. You've been one of the most generous authors on KBoards, and your example has always been inspiring. Here's to your breaking many more of your personal records in the years to come!

PS: You didn't mention my favorite accomplishment of yours: having that All Black player read your book on TV while dressed in a terry cloth robe ;)

Offline Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2016, 05:24:10 PM »
Thank you for sharing, Rosalind, and huge congrats. You've been one of the most generous authors on KBoards, and your example has always been inspiring. Here's to your breaking many more of your personal records in the years to come!

PS: You didn't mention my favorite accomplishment of yours: having that All Black player read your book on TV while dressed in a terry cloth robe ;)
Haha, that really WAS a dream come true! Seeing that on national TV...that was just an amazing moment. ("World famous in New Zealand," as they say.)