Author Topic: Amazon's Fire HD 8 gets upgraded with better specs and Alexa, for $90  (Read 3500 times)  

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Countdown to Doctor Who -- April 15
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon�s Fire HD 8 gets upgraded with better specs and Alexa, for $90
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2016, 07:17:33 AM »
A couple of yrs  ago,  we were researching new laptops for a corporation.  The big push in the electronics industry is battery life...and every available space was used to maximize that.  It doesn't leave extra space for increasing speaker size.

So far I'm pleasantly surprised by the battery life in the new Fire... I was streaming Netflix last night & again saw solid results in usage.  Battery life is a priority for me,  since a tablet is a true mobile device for me,  used mostly on the go.

I think another consideration is that a lot of people probably don't listen to the tablet through the installed speakers. They either use earbuds or headphones, or connect an external speaker.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Scarpad

• View Profile
Re: Amazons Fire HD 8 gets upgraded with better specs and Alexa, for $90
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2016, 10:16:42 AM »
Yeah I think the battery life is a pleasant surprise because Amazon tablets have not been know for stellar Battery, this HD8 does have stellar BL

Offline Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2016, 12:48:04 PM »
Yeah I think the battery life is a pleasant surprise because Amazon tablets have not been know for stellar Battery, this HD8 does have stellar BL

That's why I bought it. I use my tablet several hours a day and I'd would have to charge my 7" at least twice and then charge it overnight.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2016, 07:20:07 AM »
That's why I bought it. I use my tablet several hours a day and I'd would have to charge my 7" at least twice and then charge it overnight.

And now my Fire won't charge at all. The charging symbol is on but the charge keeps slipping away. I see a return in my future.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline Lursa (aka 9MMare)

• Outside Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2016, 07:27:09 AM »
Uh oh. I think it's odd that there's no indicator light on the outside, like on my Kindle or phone, that shows it's charging, or fully charged.

THanks for the reminder to really 'kick the tires' and use it early on. I hope it works out for you. Amazon is really good about returns.

Offline jkingrph

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2016, 09:31:22 AM »
The 5th and 6th generation Fire hd8 has no charging indicator light.  You have to look at symbol on the upper right of screen to tell if it is charging.

Offline MagicalWingLT

• Brick, NJ
  • Reading Amanda Ashley, and Christine Feehan Books.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2016, 05:02:28 PM »
OK so me and the hubby are thinking of getting the Fire 8HD 32GB model. We previously had a iPad 2. And last year I bought a Galaxy Tab A 9.7 with S Pen 16GB. Which has the same specs as the iPad 2. Will the Fire 8HD be a big upgrade? Also I noticed the price is $119.99 for it. I thought it was more money at one point. Is it on sale this week?

(Make your own reading bar)A Kindle 1, 3 (Keyboard), and Paperwhite owner. I just love reading romance novels :P

Offline Lursa (aka 9MMare)

• Outside Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2016, 10:21:43 AM »
This tablet is on sale today for $30.00 off....$59.00.

That's an amazing deal for a really good tablet. I love mine...wish I could have taken advantage of this deal. I got mine without special offers tho.

Offline luvmykindle3

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2017, 08:19:33 PM »
I got my Fire 8 for $59.99, on the sale. I ordered orange. It works great and the battery life is much better than that of my fire 6, so I will be selling that. The fire 8 works great, love it. The 7 was on sale during the holidays, I just could not find anyone I needed to buy one for LOL

Offline Chad Winters

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2017, 08:29:25 AM »
I've been surprisingly happy with my Fire HD 8. Bought it on the 60 buck sale. I have an aging iPad2 but have not been able to bring to spend 800 bucks or so on a new one. I'm finding that I actually like the size of the 8 better than the iPad. The widescreen format is better than the ipad for videos. The resolution seems fine. Reading books on is great which sucks because my Oasis is being reduced to outdoors in the sun use only!

Member since 10/28/2008 | (make your own reading bar)