Shop Foodie Calendars Now! Shop Dog Calendars Now!
KB Featured Book
Wish Granted! Tips, Tools, and Templates to Write a Winning Grant
by Holly Rustick

$1.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-08-22
Bestseller ranking: 95983

Product Description
INCLUDES BONUS FREE E-DOWNLOADS: TEMPLATES FOR GRANT WRITING!

Grant writing shouldn’t feel like a trip to the dentist. Take the pain out of the process with this innovative and fun, yes fun, guide. Learn all the inside tips and tools of the grant-writing trade in this easy-to-read and upbeat book.
This book is definitely for you if:
•You break out in a cold sweat when your boss mentions the word ‘grant’.
•You’ve been tempted to throw your computer against the wall while writing a grant.
•You happily tell stakeholders there’s plenty of grants out there … but haven’t the faintest idea how to write and get one!
•You think you can send out a bog-standard letter to a bunch of organizations and get funded.
•Your eyes glaze over when you’re presented with grant writing jargon and acronyms.
•Your organization’s grant success A-game has r...

Author Topic: 2 Paperwhites, but they are different.  (Read 9327 times)  

Offline sparklemotion

• New York
    • View Profile
Re: 2 Paperwhites, but they are different.
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »
UPDATE

Despite showing a delivery date of Oct 17-29th for my replacement I just got the overnight shipping notice on my replacement from Amazon and will have my replacement tomorrow, the 5th. Hopefully this will have a great screen, I am certainly happy Amazon provided a timely replacement.

Great news! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the new PW. Here's hoping it's an improvement. :)
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
~ Dr. Seuss

Offline sjc

• (Member 153)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2012, 05:42:19 PM »
OK all; I'm dating myself here:  Going back to my first K1: 

This sounds very similar to the fading in bright sun issues which took several of us a few returns before we got it right.  There was ghosting, dark spots, fading...page refresh was only a quick fix.  They did resolve the issues and wrote it off as a bad batch.  I am certain that Amazon will make good and also correct the issue w/ future batches. 

Approach is everything.  Amazon has always been very good with my returns/replacements.  I am short sweet and to the point and have always yielded great C.S. in return.

Good luck to those with the issues and keep us POSTED.
Fight the Battle-Win the War

Offline jaspertyler

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2012, 05:46:07 PM »
My replacement is ready to ship now.

Offline canyonblue737

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2012, 04:45:05 AM »
you aren't going to believe this. i noticed that amazon sent me several emails yesterday, including the one showing my replacement had not only shipped but was arriving today. i didn't read all the amazon emails until this morning... and one of the emails apologizes that there is not enough stock of the kindle paperwhite wifi model so they upgraded my replacement to the 3G model for free! very, very generous of amazon, but bottom line is i hope the screen is good. i'll know today.

Offline w5jck

• Arlington, TX
  • Amateur radio, W5JCK
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2012, 09:04:02 AM »
you aren't going to believe this. i noticed that amazon sent me several emails yesterday, including the one showing my replacement had not only shipped but was arriving today. i didn't read all the amazon emails until this morning... and one of the emails apologizes that there is not enough stock of the kindle paperwhite wifi model so they upgraded my replacement to the 3G model for free! very, very generous of amazon, but bottom line is i hope the screen is good. i'll know today.

Same here, I got upgraded to the 3G and my replacement is out for delivery today! Amazon's CS is terrific, although Amazon really needs to do much better with quality control.
Jack

Kindle Touch and Kindle Fire

Offline tiktokman

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2012, 11:22:46 AM »
Just got off a very frustrating call with Amazon Kindle support. Took 35 minutes, 4 holds and lots of stress to initiate an exchange for my PW. I get random bolded words no matter what font and eyestrain anytime I read for more than 10 minutes. The rep kept telling me I could return it and get a refund even though I repeatedly asked for an exchange. Then she told me it'd be 4-6 weeks before my new one arrived and that I had to send my current one back within 30 days. I disagreed with that logic and after another hold she said she could extend my return window. After getting that sorted I told her that I'd heard nothing but good things about Amazon Kindle Support and that this call did not live up to my expectations. After another hold she came back on and magically they had a new Kindle they could send me by next week. It should be here by the 9th she said. I asked her for a confirmation # on this call/ticket and she told me they don't use them but that I'd be getting an email shortly with all the details. That was 2 hours ago and still no email.

Fingers are crossed.

Offline w5jck

• Arlington, TX
  • Amateur radio, W5JCK
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2012, 11:49:08 AM »
Just got off a very frustrating call with Amazon Kindle support. Took 35 minutes, 4 holds and lots of stress to initiate an exchange for my PW. I get random bolded words no matter what font and eyestrain anytime I read for more than 10 minutes. The rep kept telling me I could return it and get a refund even though I repeatedly asked for an exchange. Then she told me it'd be 4-6 weeks before my new one arrived and that I had to send my current one back within 30 days. I disagreed with that logic and after another hold she said she could extend my return window. After getting that sorted I told her that I'd heard nothing but good things about Amazon Kindle Support and that this call did not live up to my expectations. After another hold she came back on and magically they had a new Kindle they could send me by next week. It should be here by the 9th she said. I asked her for a confirmation # on this call/ticket and she told me they don't use them but that I'd be getting an email shortly with all the details. That was 2 hours ago and still no email.

Fingers are crossed.

You will get the email, don't worry. It took a few hours for mine to arrive. CS sends the request to the Kindle Replacement Team and then they send you the email letting you know they processed your replacement.
Jack

Offline w5jck

• Arlington, TX
  • Amateur radio, W5JCK
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2012, 11:52:57 AM »
I got my replacement this morning. I'll use this thread to discuss the differences between the replacement and the defective units.

The replacement unit is much better over all, but still not as good as I would have liked. I do think it is a keeper though. I'll outline the differences between the units below.

Background Shade

• Defective PW: Darker than the Touch when unlit and much darker and blueish when lit.
  • Replacement: Same as Touch when unlit and much lighter/whiter when lit.

Light Color

• Defective PW: The light casts a dark blue hue on the screen.
  • Replacement: The light casts a barely noticeable light tan hue on the screen.

Light Shadows

• Defective PW: Very blotchy and uneven all over screen. Top third of screen very dark.
  • Replacement: Slightly noticeable uneven shading when in a darker room, but over all very evenly distributed light, except bottom half inch of course.

Fonts

• Defective PW: Lower contrast (lighter and thinner) than Touch. Letters are mostly washed out at any light level with a lot of variations in contrast and darkness. Lot of eyestrain when reading.
  • Replacement: Noticeably higher contrast (darker and thicker) than Touch at all light levels. Still some variations in contrast and darkness and these areas coincide with those on the Defective PW, so I'm thinking firmware issue. Haven't yet read enough to see if there is any eyestrain, but I don't think there will be.

Over All Impression

The Replacement PW is much better over all with a screen that when adequately lit more closely resembles the marketing ads and the descriptions herein presented by many MR members. There are still some minor font display issues but I suspect that can be cleared up with a firmware upgrade. The Replacement PW delivers a much better reading experience than my Touch. I'm going to read a lot on it then report back on how that went, but preliminary testing looks very good!
Jack

Offline canyonblue737

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2012, 02:45:10 PM »
Well I got my replacement:

Pros:

1. They for free upgraded me from a Wi-Fi only Special Offers Paperwhite ($119) to a *3G* *NO SPECIAL OFFERS* Paperwhite ($199) which is pretty incredible of them to do.

Cons:

1. The screen has 3 pieces of dust under the light guide layer that show up as sparkling points of light when over a dark area. Most of the time you get "lucky" and they don't hit the text but when they do your eye goes right to it. If the page has any kind of graphics like the home page etc. they stand out like a sore thumb. My other two Paperwhites had no dust.

2. The screen is as dingy or worse in color than my problem Paperwhite. The color is perhaps a bit less "pink" than the older Paperwhite but it is also perhaps a bit darker and greenish. I honestly couldn't tell you one is better than the other. What I can say is that neither hold a candle to my wife's Paperwhite with an even WHITE light.

SO NOW WHAT?

I used my "bad" Paperwhite on a two day work trip this week. During periods of reading, in particular if their was some ambient light and I was mainly using the built in LED's to "whiten" the screen (ie. a mix of light) it looks pretty darn nice. I actually thought perhaps the LEDs were "breaking in" and that when I got home it would look better. When I finally got back from the trip it was obvious that I was simply growing used to my unit when I wasn't comparing a good vs. bad one side to side. Perhaps had I never seen my wife's Paperwhite, or if hers looked like mine, I would think this was "normal" and "better" than the Nook Glowlight and would have been happy. I am kinda torn up about it but I honestly think I am going to send back the new 3G one and just keep my Wi-Fi and try to be happy by not looking at my wife's Paperwhite anymore.

Quality control is all over the map on these things obviously and I have no idea if mine wife's is the exception to the rule and the color of my other two Paperwhite's is the rule. As my wife said "If I hadn't seen mine I would have been happy with yours, but mine is Paperwhite, yours is Paperpink."

Bummed. First world problems I tell ya...

Offline sparklemotion

• New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2012, 08:57:15 PM »
That's a shame, I'm sorry about your bad experience. :( Did you decide what you're going to do? I'm starting to wonder if the good PW's are more the exception rather then the rule too.
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
~ Dr. Seuss

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2012, 06:35:46 PM »
That's a shame, I'm sorry about your bad experience. :( Did you decide what you're going to do? I'm starting to wonder if the good PW's are more the exception rather then the rule too.

Not likely. Those disappointed are just more likely to be vocal.  And, remember, KB members are a very small minority of all kindle owners. . .and generally a more talkative subset at that. :D

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline canyonblue737

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2012, 10:07:28 AM »
Ok, I have now used my "flawed" device extensively on a week vacation and have some additional comments...

1. Let me get the bad out of the way first... the screen is still worse than my wife's, without question there has been no improvement as others suggested might be happening with more time for glues to cure or something.

2. If I don't look at my wife's for a few days and start using mine on a mid-level setting lets say 14-16 on the 24 point scale, it starts to look better to my eye over time, and is satisfying reading. My view of the unit resets to negative if I look at my wife's again, but I grow satisfied with it if I don't... so it can't be that bad can it?

3. *Any* time you use the Paperwhite, even my "flawed" one, with a mid-level light setting AND any form of room lighting, in particular a bit of sunlight from a window etc. the glow of the screen disappears and what you are left with is a flawless, shadowless, smooth white PAPER screen. it is the most spectacular thing you have ever seen and the best e-ink by a mile... and every bit the equal of my wife's Paperwhite. The ONLY time the flaws really come out is if you A) use the device in pure darkness (and even then it is ok) or B) overdrive the light when you shouldn't, ie. high brightness even with significant room lighting. Now that I have learned to use mid-level settings and ambient lighting if it is available I am satisfied with the unit.

Not a perfect device AND THERE ARE DIFFERENCES in quality between Paperwhites... but I have grown satisfied that it is still the best e-ink reader on the market.