KB Featured Book
No Direction Home
by Elizabeth Burns

$0.00
Kindle Edition published 2017-05-20
Bestseller ranking: 81281

Product Description
Hunter Grayson flits from job to job, relationship to relationship, continent to continent until thetragic death of her parents brings her back to her childhood home.While trying to figure out how to move forward, she meets wild, fun Natalya Haven, who quickly becomes the sister she never had. But when Natalya moves in, their friendship unravels.
A second tragedy sends Hunter to a small town in New Mexico, a town out of her own past. For Hunter, that's more than a coincidence, that's fate. Natalya's family will fill the void in her life. Natalya's parents will become her parents. She and Natalya's brother will fall in love. But nothing is ever that simple....

Author Topic: All-New Amazon Echo Dot (2nd Generation)  (Read 2064 times)  

Online Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
All-New Amazon Echo Dot (2nd Generation)
« on: September 14, 2016, 05:20:51 AM »
Looks like Amazon is going to try the Dot again.  It is showing up in a bundle with a Bose speaker and also by itself for just $49.99 - release date October 20th.  It is available in black and white.

I wasn't terribly impressed with the first one, but for the lower price I might be willing to try again.

Offline Brownskins

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: All-New Amazon Echo Dot (2nd Generation)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 06:20:15 AM »
Andra, can you send me a link to your previous post on your thought on the 1st generation echo dot?  I'm curious to know more.
Train rides + Kindle reads = Win!
2017-to-date: 4
2017 Target: 60

A few of my thoughts and reviews are posted here:  https://simplyctrocks.blogspot.com/

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 06:47:45 AM »
I have the 1st gen Echo Dot.  I like it for what I got it for--I already had an Echo.  Well, two Echos.  I got the Dot for my office specifically because I can add a wired speaker or pair my Bluetooth headset with it.  Sometimes I want to listen to music/news/audiobooks early in the morning  in the office which is right next to the bedroom.  Being able to pair my headset with my Echo Dot is great so I don't disturb my husband.  Or, if I want to just play it, I have a small speaker I plug in.  The speakers that are in it aren't very good, really.

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Online Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 07:13:56 AM »
Andra, can you send me a link to your previous post on your thought on the 1st generation echo dot?  I'm curious to know more.

I don't know that I said much beyond "The speaker is noticeably more 'tinny' on piano instrumental music than the Echos but for listening quietly to unwind it is fine."  DH uses it connected to a separate speaker and it's OK.  I find it more useful to ask questions and control my smart plugs and such.
I have a birthday coming up so I went ahead and ordered a Dot with the Bose speaker from the Deal of the Day today...  I have a little over a month to change my mind if I decide I want to spend the money on something else.

Offline Brownskins

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 12:55:54 PM »
Thank you for the feedback Betsy and Andra.  So it looks like its primary appeal to me would be to act as a voice activated box to control my music.  I plan to plug it into my AV system for surround music.  I don't really have smart plugs or a smart thermostat yet.

A few more questions:  How can you tell Alexa to use Spotify rather than Prime music?  Also, how can I log in to my Spotify?  In Fire TV, I can't log in directly.  I have to link in my mac through wifi, but I have to set up spotify each time through my mac and do my selection of playlists there.  Is it different for Echo and/or Echo dot?

A few of my thoughts and reviews are posted here:  https://simplyctrocks.blogspot.com/

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 01:22:08 PM »
You link Spotify right in the alexa app. I don't have it so I can't try. But its then there along with other things to link like Iheartradio, pandora, your music library, prime music and tunein. Those are the ones listed in my app. I assume you just tell her to play something with spotify. When i want a iheartradio station for the first time, I say iheartradio and what I want. Next time she remembers. They are all connected then. I think, but don't know for sure that if you just say play this and that, it will look in prime first. If you want a specific playlist, you say that. If you want spotify or other service, you say that. But since I don't have any other service other than prime and iheart, I don't know how it works exactly.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Online Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
  • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 06:22:40 AM »
I have Pandora, not Spotify.  So you say, e.g., "Pandora Quiet Time station."  If you want Prime Music, e.g., "Shuffle Jimmy Buffet from Prime Music."

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

Offline Brownskins

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 07:16:31 AM »
Thanks Sandpiper and Atunah!  ;)

Online Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 09:16:44 AM »
There is also a new setting where you can tell the app what music thing you want for your default.  DH has set his up to be iheart radio but I left mine at Amazon since that's where most of my music is stored.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 12:16:57 PM »
There is also a new setting where you can tell the app what music thing you want for your default.  DH has set his up to be iheart radio but I left mine at Amazon since that's where most of my music is stored.
you are right, I just looked. I didn't know this was there. I assume its set to amazon by default? Its where most of my music is.

Its in settings-music & media (account). there is a choose default and it gives different options for music library and for default station. So for music library I can pick amazon music or spotify, for station service I can pick amazon music and iheartradio. Pandora is greyed out, are they gone? I am also sad I don't have tunein anymore. It was the only place I had for some of my german stations. I have not found them anywhere else. *sadface.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Online Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 07:13:11 PM »
I received my new toys today. I plugged the Bose speaker in to charge when I first got home. It took about 3 hours to fully charge. The Dot setup was simple and pairing the two was incredibly easy. The Bose speaker definitely has a fuller sound than the Dot. I like it!

edit to correct spelling mistakes...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 06:05:38 AM by Andra »

Offline Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 07:18:54 PM »
Just got mine today. Actually got it for my Mom to listen to audiobooks. The quick start guide didn't list audiobooks, but I'm sure it will play audiobooks.

I meant to bring it with me tonight when I went to Mom's but I was running very late and forgot. I'll have to set it up tomorrow. I'm sure I'll be back here with questions.  :D

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook