Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: Findaway Voices as an audio alternative  (Read 2145 times)  

Offline AliceS

• Asheville, NC
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Findaway Voices as an audio alternative
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2017, 11:23:05 AM »
That doesn't sound too good, Tobias. Thanks for sharing.

Post-Apocalyptic, Space Fantasy and Mystery
Alice Sabo | Blog | Facebook | Website

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2017, 11:59:55 AM »
I'm using them, but frankly they're not up to much. They are great at finding you narrators, and good email support. However, the website suffers from a lack of investment in time and effort - it doesn't do much and what it does do it really doesn't do well. There are no restrictions (which is great), but there are NO RESTRICTIONS - which is frankly amazing!

An author can do deals with the narrator and sidestep Findaway. Unethical? No! Because Findaway have not even tried to tie down the narrators or the authors. They just made over $400 on an intro - not bad money?  but where are they now? I've got a book out there which is in process of publishing, and they sent me an email telling me who is taking it (well some of the platforms), but there is going to be no listing of sales on a daily or any day/week basis. A monthly report by email apparently. Not good enough.  I will continue to use them to find my narrators, but will do deals directly where I can.

If I ever saw a golden opportunity thrown away, FINDAWAY is IT!
I agree with your point that the website could be better.

Doing a side deal with a narrator might well be cheaper, but if you haven't worked with that narrator before, I would think there'd be some advantages to working within the Findaway system. However, if someone just wanted to use Findaway to hit the other distribution channels not covered by ACX rather than for the whole process, that's also an option.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Online TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2017, 12:42:49 PM »
I agree with your point that the website could be better.

Doing a side deal with a narrator might well be cheaper, but if you haven't worked with that narrator before, I would think there'd be some advantages to working within the Findaway system. However, if someone just wanted to use Findaway to hit the other distribution channels not covered by ACX rather than for the whole process, that's also an option.

It didn't work out cheaper Bill, but the narrator got ALL of the money and it was a big difference to him. Findaway is good if you're looking for narrators and as you say, non-exclusive platforms. The danger is that if you go with the major ones which are all SEVEN YEAR contracts even on non-exclusives, then you're committing yourself to a partnership with FINDAWAY for that long. I think that's a MASSIVE commitment at 10-20% of your royalties when there's nothing beyond the narrator selection in the company. So, if you sell a thousand books over the next 7 years at 25% of $20 that's $500-$1,000 your giving them for nothing that you can't do yourself by dealing directly with ACX or the other big one (name escapes me).

Like I said, I'm disappointed at such a lacklustre backup of an initially brilliant concept.

Tobias Roote | Website | Facebook | Twitter