Free Parenting Tips AppFree Parenting Tips App

Author Topic: Amazon is intermittently admitting to errors in it's KU page reporting.  (Read 308355 times)  

Offline McKinneyAuthor

• View Profile
Re: Amazon is intermittently admitting to errors in it's KU page reporting.
« Reply #125 on: October 03, 2016, 03:32:54 PM »
I published a novella on Sept 26 and minus a few buys from relatives, it's been dead in the water. As my first published work, I had chalked it up to not having a dedicated following yet. However, with it being in KU, I had expected some borrows and reads at the very least. I've only received one page view outside of my husband reading a few pages to see if they would show up, and it seems they did. I've noticed my ranking going up and down, so now I'm wondering if my page reads aren't showing up either. Either way, I hope this is resolved soon. I can't tell if anything is wrong with my reports because I have no prior releases to compare it to.

Lindsay McKinney

Offline Sam Kates

• UK
  • From the land of song and dragons.
    • View Profile
    • Sam Kates
« Reply #126 on: October 03, 2016, 03:37:54 PM »
Seriously, you guys never heard of Skype? I dropped $20 in my account in early 2015, called the US tax office (spent about 40 minutes listening to some daft recorded info while being on hold), and ring a relative in Europe every month and talk for about 30 minutes, and the money still hasn't run out. These are all people who don't have Skype. It just produces a local phone call one your behalf.

Not so much the money (though I have to be choosy where I spend my dosh), but the time differences and working full-time, blah, blah, blah. The biggest for me is the lack of historic data - only just started self-pubbing again (most of my titles are with a small press, and wide) and haven't been in KU long enough to build up a clear picture. Even so, something seems off - I'd just struggle to convince Amazon of it.

From nowhere, 71 page reads appeared today, but for yesterday, and they haven't affected the novella's ranking one iota. It's screwy.

Will continue to follow this thread with interest.

sam kates

Offline 9 Diamonds

• View Profile
    • 9 Diamonds Press
« Reply #127 on: October 03, 2016, 05:49:59 PM »
Thanks for the alert and all the advice on this. I'll drop them an email straightaway.

Offline JVRudnick

• Canada
  • Your SciFi dude....
    • View Profile
    • CanuckSEO
« Reply #128 on: October 03, 2016, 05:54:14 PM »
Like others I too am off by thousands daily...so I emailed and I just got this Hello,

This is a second email regarding the pages read.

In the answer email about the royalties and payments for the pages read of the book. The information indicated that all the numbers where right, at this moment we discover that there is a problem with the update of the information that is displayed in the system, because of this we will need more time to verify the numbers again and confirm that the amount of pages read is the right one.

Please note and keep in mind that this is not a problem that may cause the loss of royalties, is a problem in the up date of the system when the information is displayed. The team in charge of the records is going to take the case and will contact you with the proper information.

they will contact you in 24 - 48 hours.

Thank you --

So....i also see NEWLY added 5k worth of reads just in the past hours...

SO....call or email folks!

Join me by reading the RIM Confederacy Series!
Jim Rudnick | Author Site | Blog Site

Offline AliceW

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 03, 2016, 06:50:00 PM »
Seriously, you guys never heard of Skype?

Skype doesn't work where I am. We don't have broadband out here, or even a cell signal. And it's tough when you are juggling children and other commitments to work around time zone differences. It doesn't seem logical to me that Amazon is ignoring emails and only a phone call will get through.

Offline RedAlert

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 03, 2016, 07:36:11 PM »
A display problem only??  I have been following this thread with increasing dismay.  It looks like Amazon is not exactly forthright.  Dang, what a shame.  If the various authors had not banded together, would Amazon have opted to correct the counts of those few that complained?

I'm in the camp that thinks KU 3.0 arrived broken.  I know that computer code can run to billions and one tiny thing can destroy a program.  But, SEPT 5TH??  That's a long time without a comment from Amazon.

They told JV that all the numbers in the first email results were correct, and that it was just an update problem.  They needed more time to confirm the numbers.  Then, they dump a few thousand reads to his account.  I guess the problem could be ongoing and catching up to today for his number count.  But, it doesn't make any sense.  I guess the take away is that the first email didn't do anything, and the second one produced a different answer.

"...because of this we will need more time to verify the numbers again and confirm that the amount of pages read is the right one."  Wut?  This is babble.

I recently bought a paperback from Amazon.  So far, it seems to be ready for delivery tomorrow by the USPS.  But, the USPS very carefully pointed out that it didn't necessarily vouch for whether the book was actually in their hands.  That book better show up!

I love buying stuff from Amazon.  They have literally never let me down.  The vendors are reliable.  I have only returned one item, because it was obvious that it was used, and in a category of item that it wasn't acceptable.  And that return was easy and unquestioned.  So, I am disheartened by all of this. 

Amazon needs to square this with its authors.  I propose that they put an extra million or so into the shared pot to make up for many, many authors not getting their due.  Increase that payout to ensure goodwill and trust returns to the 'Zon Universe.

Offline LSMay

• New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 03, 2016, 07:47:08 PM »

Amazon needs to square this with its authors.  I propose that they put an extra million or so into the shared pot to make up for many, many authors not getting their due.  Increase that payout to ensure goodwill and trust returns to the 'Zon Universe.

I for one will be very interested to see if the payout reflects a drop in page reads or not. (Either a smaller pot, or a higher payout per page or both.) Although, the mention upthread of a displaying problem gives me hope that Amazon still has the data somewhere, so hopefully they can sort everyone out.

As for me, I really don't know if I'm affected. September was my best month ever for page reads, but that was off the back of my first free promo and book 4 of my series coming out late August, so maybe it should have been higher? I had no new releases in Sept, but I did update 2 of my books.

L S May | Website | Twitter | Goodreads

Offline katrina46

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 03, 2016, 08:42:27 PM »
My page reads have basically died, but I put it off as not having released anything in that niche lately. Maybe there's something going on other than that, but I have no real basis to complain. But, I had eight sales reported, one was paid and two show as returns. What happened to the other five? No idea. I thought it was Book Report at first, but now I'm thinking it's on Amazon's end.
i'm not all in KU, so my page reads were never spectacular, but I went from maybe 7,000 a day to 30-100 page reads in September. It does seem odd. I didn't release in September because I was working on something for wide, but to dry up over night instead of tapering off gradually? Maybe I should send an email just to be on the safe side. All they can do is say it's fine you just sucked last month.

Offline SidK

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 03, 2016, 09:29:14 PM »
What email address are you guys sending the emails to?

Offline Kate.

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 03, 2016, 09:32:06 PM »
I've had a slightly different kind of weirdness. I don't know if it's related, but it started on Sept 5th.

Page reads began tending down despite sales remaining even. In addition, I've had a two-day spike every seven days (so a five day lull, two day spike) on the US Sunday and Monday. It's a substantial spike (>5k pages). I've never seen this before. Screenshot:

Offline RedAlert

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 03, 2016, 09:34:52 PM »
I for one will be very interested to see if the payout reflects a drop in page reads or not. (Either a smaller pot, or a higher payout per page or both.) Although, the mention upthread of a displaying problem gives me hope that Amazon still has the data somewhere, so hopefully they can sort everyone out.

As for me, I really don't know if I'm affected. September was my best month ever for page reads, but that was off the back of my first free promo and book 4 of my series coming out late August, so maybe it should have been higher? I had no new releases in Sept, but I did update 2 of my books.

Well, that is very worrisome.  Amazon is stating a system-wide meltdown (again, I say that it is odd that it is lasting so long,) and I think the presumption should be that you are affected.  Call them up, get a count, see what they say.

And, don't tell them that you aren't sure!  You are not an exception, if they are truly having a system glitch of this magnitude.  You are affected by virtue of being in KU, period.  It's their fault.  Have them do a manual count, or whatever they do. Seems like they are kicking it to higher powers for resolution.  If you don't do it, you will never really know--and from this moment forward, you will always question your counts.

Offline Richardcrasta

• New York and elsewhere
    • View Profile
    • Richard Crasta's Books
« Reply #136 on: October 03, 2016, 09:47:41 PM »
Not just KU, but non-KU sales reporting.

In September, i earned more on Google Play (with 10% or less of the market) than on Amazon, where I have many more titles, with 75% of the market.

How could that be?
Editing and proofreading: http://bit.ly/123Vpkz
Fiction, humor, essays: "Very funny"-Kurt Vonnegut. "A fabulous editor"-Bill Taub, awardwinning TV scriptwriter.
Web: http://bit.ly/dJan7m
Reviews: http://bit.ly/187vIyn
Amazon US: http://amzn.to/nc07dD
Amazon UK: http://amzn.to/iUbcHw
Apple: http://bit.ly/qWYPOI
Nook: http://bit.ly/pk0dzB
Smashwords: http://bit.ly/g2GRMl
Kobo: http://bit.ly/HAh8PM
Twitter: @richardcrasta
Blog: http://bit.ly/1086zmF

Offline katrina46

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 03, 2016, 10:11:30 PM »
Not just KU, but non-KU sales reporting.

In September, i earned more on Google Play (with 10% or less of the market) than on Amazon, where I have many more titles, with 75% of the market.

How could that be?
Actually, I know quite a few authors who can say that. I myself have had better months on GP. Visibility is easier over there because it isn't so saturated. The algos are stickier and permafrees work great. It's one of my favorite sites to publish to.

Offline RedAlert

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 03, 2016, 10:43:10 PM »
I've had a slightly different kind of weirdness. I don't know if it's related, but it started on Sept 5th.

Page reads began tending down despite sales remaining even. In addition, I've had a two-day spike every seven days (so a five day lull, two day spike) on the US Sunday and Monday. It's a substantial spike (>5k pages). I've never seen this before. Screenshot:

I hope someone comments on this.  That IS weird.  Right there, right on the day.  What is weird is it's a spike followed by a big drop. Except for the 5th, you have double days on each peak.  It's like you have a slow leak. 

It doesn't make any sense at all.  If Amazon has a glitch in its counting system, why does your Kenp look like that?  You have a uniform count of 5 days between each spike, as you slowly sink.  I hope that other authors look at their graphs to see if there are similarities.  That would be very interesting.

If anyone knows why about this, come back.

Offline jhubbard

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 03, 2016, 11:59:20 PM »

That is weird. Is there any chance that this could be related to school starting up - people (adults + kids) reading more on Saturday and Sunday, because the weekdays have become packed with stuff; then it records when they synch their devices (Sunday and Monday)? Maybe over the summer everyone's a little more freeform?
Earth's changing climate: 10%
College science for kids!
Website

Offline Kate.

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 04, 2016, 01:11:33 AM »
That is weird. Is there any chance that this could be related to school starting up - people (adults + kids) reading more on Saturday and Sunday, because the weekdays have become packed with stuff; then it records when they synch their devices (Sunday and Monday)? Maybe over the summer everyone's a little more freeform?
That's something I considered, but I've never seen it before. My numbers are usually fairly steady or have predictable lifts following promos, like in the first two thirds of the chart. (The climb around late July was from a new release.) I'd love to know if anyone else is seeing the same phenomenon.

Offline Rinelle Grey

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 04, 2016, 02:38:59 AM »
I've seen spikes similar to this when page reads are falling. Not quite so regular though. Nothing I could predict.

Feel good romance with a touch of magic.
Rinelle grey | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline dgaughran

• Dublin
  • Let's Get Digital
    • View Profile
    • David Gaughran
« Reply #142 on: October 04, 2016, 03:08:49 AM »
Between the perma-issue of KU scammers, Also Bought/Also Viewed problems on books launched this summer, hundreds of thousands of books missing from Kindle Exclusives, and this issue with KU reporting (and generally plummeting KDP service levels), Amazon/KDP is having a hell of a time at the moment.

Hope they right the ship, and soon.

David Gaughran | mailing list | blog | website | facebook | twitter
LET'S GET DIGITAL 2 Free for purchasers of the 1st edition! Instructions here

Offline thesmallprint

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 04, 2016, 05:02:00 AM »
For lightning service, tell 'em your book's about drones.

Offline katrina46

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 04, 2016, 05:07:22 AM »
Between the perma-issue of KU scammers, Also Bought/Also Viewed problems on books launched this summer, hundreds of thousands of books missing from Kindle Exclusives, and this issue with KU reporting (and generally plummeting KDP service levels), Amazon/KDP is having a hell of a time at the moment.

Hope they right the ship, and soon.
I just published part one of a serial a couple days ago. I wrote it for KU, but put it wide at the last minute until they fix some of these issues. It's already made me as much on Barnes and Nobles as I'm earning with these wonky page reads, so it was a no brainer.

Offline Eric Thomson

• The Great White North
    • View Profile
    • Eric Thomson's Sci-Fi Worlds
« Reply #145 on: October 04, 2016, 05:33:16 AM »
So I wake up this morning and find an email from Amazon Accounts Payable concerning my royalties from the AU store.  I go to my online reports and see that they intend to pay me the Australian store royalties for August on October 5th!  Vurt da furk???  ???

Eric Thomson | Blog | Facebook | Website

Offline Becca Fanning

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 04, 2016, 05:40:01 AM »
Right now we, as authors, are in a great position. We've gotten them to now admit to most (all?) who call in that there is a problem on their end that requires further investigation. It sounds like the RWA might also reach out to Amazon on our behalf (an act which would have me join their ranks when otherwise I wouldn't have). This is all great.

But what happens next is tricky. 24 hours ago their official position was to try to get us to ignore the problem. Remember:

"Weve thoroughly reviewed all of your KU/ KOLL borrows and can confirm that the pages read displayed in your dashboard are accurate."

We might have enough of a foot in the door to press them to give us borrow numbers now. The real issue is credibility, and giving us more transparent access to our borrow information would do a lot to prevent these issues in the future. The best case for Amazon right now is to pump up the KDP pool for September and make it rain pages on us so we'll continue the status quo. The best case for authors is to press them to get better information.

I know that prior attempts to get this information have failed, but we've never had a tangible, demonstrable indication that Amazon has been less than competent with our data. Now we do.

Becca Fanning

Offline shunterni

• Ohio
    • View Profile
    • shunternisbet.com
« Reply #147 on: October 04, 2016, 06:23:25 AM »
I'm not in KU but I followed the advice above and wrote in about my also-boughts not repopulating and the free status problems. Got an email back from Amazon saying they will be looking into things. Excuse me while I scoop my jaw off the floor.

I agree with Becca, if we're going to get accountability, the time is now. I want to put a book into KU next month, but I need to be able to trust my numbers. This is making me not trust them.

S. Hunter Nisbet | Under-Paid, Over Enthused

Offline Going Incognito

• It's always the quiet ones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 04, 2016, 07:52:40 AM »
Ok, somebody talk me off the ledge. Or push me over.
I'm thinking about Becca's 'now may be the time' post, coinciding with Amazon making October 'Powered by Indies' month. With everything going on right now, from reporting issues to also boughts, everything, I'm thinking of getting a Twitter account.
Tweeting things like

How many of my books were even borrowed? How much money is in the pot this time? Who's keeping Amazon honest? #poweredbyindie #for[expletive]ssake #KUWTF?

Or/and-

New release with no borrows? Still no response from Amazon. How is Amazon treating their indies? #poweredbyindie

Trust issues #poweredbyindies

Release the borrows! #poweredbyindie

Don't worry about the Amazon behind the curtain. Everything is reporting fine! #poweredbyindie

I deleted my email, is it powered by indie or indies?

Stuff like that. Maybe getting a group together? Retweeting each other's stuff? Linking to blog posts mentioned here with #poweredbyindie on it?

Good idea? Slitting my own throat?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 08:02:41 AM by Going Incognito »

Offline ernestgordontaulbee

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 04, 2016, 08:11:09 AM »
Im willing to be the guinea pig here.

I put my novel A Sibling in Always in KU in late July. Being literary fiction, I expected nothing but received over 4,000 page reads in August. It was doing near as well in September, then everything flat lined on the 23rd. That seems to be about the time everyone else started reporting problems.

I took the advice in this thread to heart and contacted Amazon yesterday, and I am waiting for them to reply.

I have only been in the KDP community for a few months. I am willing to be the gadfly who annoys KDP until the situation is resolved. Worse case scenario for me I am kicked off KDP and out of KU. Big whoop. I am not getting any traction anyway. If that happens I just go wide, and publish through other means.

I love the opportunity KDP presents, but if it doesn't report accurately, I would prefer to try other options anway.