Author Topic: Amazon is intermittently admitting to errors in it's KU page reporting.  (Read 282028 times)  

Offline ernestgordontaulbee

• View Profile
Re: Amazon is intermittently admitting to errors in it's KU page reporting.
« Reply #150 on: October 04, 2016, 08:11:09 AM »
Im willing to be the guinea pig here.

I put my novel A Sibling in Always in KU in late July. Being literary fiction, I expected nothing but received over 4,000 page reads in August. It was doing near as well in September, then everything flat lined on the 23rd. That seems to be about the time everyone else started reporting problems.

I took the advice in this thread to heart and contacted Amazon yesterday, and I am waiting for them to reply.

I have only been in the KDP community for a few months. I am willing to be the gadfly who annoys KDP until the situation is resolved. Worse case scenario for me I am kicked off KDP and out of KU. Big whoop. I am not getting any traction anyway. If that happens I just go wide, and publish through other means.

I love the opportunity KDP presents, but if it doesn't report accurately, I would prefer to try other options anway.

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 04, 2016, 08:32:52 AM »
Ok, somebody talk me off the ledge. Or push me over.
I'm thinking about Becca's 'now may be the time' post, coinciding with Amazon making October 'Powered by Indies' month. With everything going on right now, from reporting issues to also boughts, everything, I'm thinking of getting a Twitter account.
Tweeting things like

How many of my books were even borrowed? How much money is in the pot this time? Who's keeping Amazon honest? #poweredbyindie #for[expletive]ssake #KUWTF?

Or/and-

New release with no borrows? Still no response from Amazon. How is Amazon treating their indies? #poweredbyindie

Trust issues #poweredbyindies

Release the borrows! #poweredbyindie

Don't worry about the Amazon behind the curtain. Everything is reporting fine! #poweredbyindie

I deleted my email, is it powered by indie or indies?

Stuff like that. Maybe getting a group together? Retweeting each other's stuff? Linking to blog posts mentioned here with #poweredbyindie on it?

Good idea? Slitting my own throat?
IMHO?  That's poor form.  This is a business relationship.  Treat it as such.  There's a problem with your distributor, you take it up with them and give them a reasonable chance to fix it.

8 Pen Names; Genres: Non-fiction (dating, puppies, cooking, finance, writing), SFF, Romance
Cassie Leigh | blog

Offline brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 04, 2016, 08:48:48 AM »
I haven't released or updated anything in a long time. I make most of my money from a single 5-book series, including a 2-book bundle of the first two books and a 5-book boxed set. Generally 65-70% of my revenue is from page reads. Doing some analysis as suggested above:

400 KENP average per book,
Borrows/sales for the year = 1.69. (The first quarter wasn't very good and I didn't do much promoting)
Borrows/sales Apr.1-Aug.31 = 2.06
Borrows/sales Sept. 1-Oct. 4 = 1.07 (I ran a bunch of promos in Sept. and saw almost no results - gave away 780 books last weekend and I'm getting follow-on sales, but no reads)

Right now, I'm seeing a single dump of a few hundred pages read every morning and no updates until the following day. Should I assume that I've saturated my market? No one wants to read my books any more? So sad.

B.R. Kingsolver
Author of The Telepathic Clans Saga

http://brkingsolver.com/

Offline Going Incognito

• It's always the quiet ones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 04, 2016, 08:52:12 AM »
IMHO?  That's poor form.  This is a business relationship.  Treat it as such.  There's a problem with your distributor, you take it up with them and give them a reasonable chance to fix it.

True. And I asked for honest opinions, I can totally understand that thought. Though my very first, sarcastic, thought is, 'have you met Amazon?'

They are only concerned with customer experience and public opinion. On the customer experience front, this isn't effecting customers/readers. They're buying/borrowing/reading unaware of any of this. Other than the fact that not knowing how many units are borrowed is a customer experience issue, public airing of indie laundry may be the only shot indies have of getting the borrow numbers.

No other distributor in the world can get away with the vendor asking, "how many units did you move for me?" by responding, "none of your business, just take this money based on our made up pot calculations."
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 08:56:48 AM by Going Incognito »

Offline Moist_Tissue

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 04, 2016, 09:01:27 AM »
Amazon views authors are customers, too, which is why legal is involved at this point. I think folks should create a bulleted letter, listing every failure observed in the last year. Beginning with KU1 through the scamlets to the gazillion page bundles to high profile scams to now this. Highlight that your faith in Amazon as a business partner is shaken. Give them an ETA to respond with a resolution.

If they don't respond, share your experience--as a business owner--to your customer base.
The Molly Malones: 100%

Siuil a Run: 100%

To The Valley's Edge: 0%
Siobhn Babhar

Offline LadyStarlight

• Orion
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 04, 2016, 09:09:49 AM »
Amazon views authors are customers, too, which is why legal is involved at this point. I think folks should create a bulleted letter, listing every failure observed in the last year. Beginning with KU1 through the scamlets to the gazillion page bundles to high profile scams to now this. Highlight that your faith in Amazon as a business partner is shaken. Give them an ETA to respond with a resolution.

If they don't respond, share your experience--as a business owner--to your customer base.

Bumping for support.
The Goddess be with you!

Time until a new star is born!

100%. Blast off!

Offline Becca Mills

• U.S.
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
« Reply #156 on: October 04, 2016, 09:11:42 AM »
Im willing to be the guinea pig here.

I put my novel A Sibling in Always in KU in late July. Being literary fiction, I expected nothing but received over 4,000 page reads in August. It was doing near as well in September, then everything flat lined on the 23rd. That seems to be about the time everyone else started reporting problems.

I took the advice in this thread to heart and contacted Amazon yesterday, and I am waiting for them to reply.

I have only been in the KDP community for a few months. I am willing to be the gadfly who annoys KDP until the situation is resolved. Worse case scenario for me I am kicked off KDP and out of KU. Big whoop. I am not getting any traction anyway. If that happens I just go wide, and publish through other means.

I love the opportunity KDP presents, but if it doesn't report accurately, I would prefer to try other options anway.

What you're describing sounds more like falling off the 30-day cliff -- the end of sales/borrows produced by Amazon's promotion of your book on its new-releases list. If so, it's totally normal.

rmclean

« Reply #157 on: October 04, 2016, 09:15:00 AM »
aybe getting a group together? Retweeting each other's stuff? Linking to blog posts mentioned here with #poweredbyindie on it?

Bad idea for a few of reasons.

1) IF you wanted to attack Amazon guns blazing, it's only logical to do that if you are not doing business with them.
2) Slitting your own throat? Maybe, who knows how easy it would be for them to mess with your visibility in the store
3) If anything, this could ruin your rep with readers as they wonder why you are on Amazon if you have such issues with them that you feel the need to attack them aggressively in public.
4) I think it's perfectly legit to blog about what is going on and your views on the issue. The options aren't silence or mob attack... there is a middle ground.
5) Ultimately, Amazon may not yet understand what is happening. They respond to emails and phone calls. They aren't doing this on purpose (we have to assume). So something broke in the system and until they know what it is and can fix it, they can't offer much guidance.

Lastly, if this doesn't resolve itself, you don't have to worry about starting a twitter campaign, it will happen of its own accord.

I got destroyed in this glitch (KU reads dropped to zero on the 15th and only started coming back a few days ago). But until I see evidence that Amazon is ignoring the problem or pretending it doesn't exist (which they aren't, they acknowledged the problem to me in an email) then all I can do is sit tight for a bit. 

Offline SallyRose

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 04, 2016, 09:23:58 AM »
Ok, somebody talk me off the ledge. Or push me over.
I'm thinking about Becca's 'now may be the time' post, coinciding with Amazon making October 'Powered by Indies' month. With everything going on right now, from reporting issues to also boughts, everything, I'm thinking of getting a Twitter account.
Tweeting things like

How many of my books were even borrowed? How much money is in the pot this time? Who's keeping Amazon honest? #poweredbyindie #for[expletive]ssake #KUWTF?... ...

I completely get the frustration that leads to a temptation to do something like this...but I wouldn't recommend it.

I had an econ professor in business school who I think summed up the best option when it comes to situations like this. He told the story of a company that had a poor working environment (for various reasons). Ultimately, the company went from being on the top of its game to suffering financial losses because it was so dependent on the intellectual property of the employees it treated so poorly - and those employees began leaving in droves.

"They didn't understand that their most important assets had feet" was his summation of the company's undoing.

KU assets also have feet. As long as authors stick with the program, Amazon is not incented to change. If they lose enough authors from the program that they begin losing subscribers... they'll have an incentive to look at changes that would bring authors back to the program. Until that happens, I don't expect much to change in our favor.

Admittedly, I have little to lose by leaving KU, I had two books in the program for a short stint and had already unchecked the renewal box before this latest debacle began to unravel. I've got 10 days before I can take my books wide...and watching all of this just makes me more determined to build a broader base for my platform.

Offline Going Incognito

• It's always the quiet ones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 04, 2016, 09:48:41 AM »
Ok, fair enough. I'm going to go simmer down and pour my grand over the top ideas into writing my next chapter, where, in fiction, it has a chance at actually changing the world and helping the guy get the girl. That way, when this stuff does calm down, I'll have more product to peddle.
Thank you all.

Offline GARael

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 04, 2016, 10:09:28 AM »
I haven't released or updated anything in a long time. I make most of my money from a single 5-book series, including a 2-book bundle of the first two books and a 5-book boxed set. Generally 65-70% of my revenue is from page reads. Doing some analysis as suggested above:

400 KENP average per book,
Borrows/sales for the year = 1.69. (The first quarter wasn't very good and I didn't do much promoting)
Borrows/sales Apr.1-Aug.31 = 2.06
Borrows/sales Sept. 1-Oct. 4 = 1.07 (I ran a bunch of promos in Sept. and saw almost no results - gave away 780 books last weekend and I'm getting follow-on sales, but no reads)

Right now, I'm seeing a single dump of a few hundred pages read every morning and no updates until the following day. Should I assume that I've saturated my market? No one wants to read my books any more? So sad.

This sounds similar to what's been happening with one of my series. About 75% of my revenue is from page reads as well, and lately, I've been at about a tenth of my "bad day" page numbers. Makes me a bit wary to put an upcoming 3-book series into KU until this is all sorted out.
The White Cat Chronicles (Book 2): 100%

The White Cat Chronicles (Book 3): 80%
G.A. Rael | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads|The Coven Newsletter

Offline eroticatorium

• View Profile
    • Eroticature.org
« Reply #161 on: October 04, 2016, 10:53:48 AM »
What are you guys actually saying in your emails? They finally got back to me and said there is no problem.
Moderator of free and open fictional universe site Eroticature

Offline phil1861

• Albuquerque, Mew Mexico
    • View Profile
    • Phillip M Bryant
« Reply #162 on: October 04, 2016, 11:04:32 AM »
What are you guys actually saying in your emails? They finally got back to me and said there is no problem.

I got the same from an email, nothing to see here (could have been as I can't tell if there is/isn't an issue provided what limited intel I have) but I also called the number.

The annoying thing is, I had to pass through: a triage (who was pretty chatty and personable), a level one who couldn't help with anything, a level two who also couldn't help with anything but who promised he was going to raise my request to the next highest level.

Levels one and two have 0 visibility into your book's account and had only visibility into what I have, my kdp console information. As I also had another issue with visibility after a free run that has tanked my rank, both levels could only shrug their shoulders and tell me they didn't know what the algos do and were responsible for, couldn't tell me what also bought lists my book showed on or used to show on, and can't do anything about it if it was a problem. The only thing he could do was have their level 3 support get back on the reporting issue.

At the moment, waiting to see if this produces anything at all.

Author of Historical Fiction
Phillip Bryant | Blog | Facebook | Goodreads | Newsletter

Offline WasAnn

• I is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 04, 2016, 11:09:17 AM »

I'm pretty sure that's close to what a lot of us got. This time I wrote with the ASINs and that I already knew there was a significant and widespread problem, that I didn't want to hear that everything is fine, that it needed to be escalated right up to the team investigating it for the other thousand or so authors who also have the problem. We'll see what I get back this time.

Since I'm a relative nobody that makes 4 figures a month (and has been since my first month publishing) with my first figure almost always a 1, I'm not a big fish. I have no idea what will happen.

Offline eroticatorium

• View Profile
    • Eroticature.org
« Reply #164 on: October 04, 2016, 11:16:05 AM »
I'm pretty sure that's close to what a lot of us got. This time I wrote with the ASINs and that I already knew there was a significant and widespread problem, that I didn't want to hear that everything is fine, that it needed to be escalated right up to the team investigating it for the other thousand or so authors who also have the problem. We'll see what I get back this time.

I replied back with one recently published book and gave an ASIN, but that still annoys me. I have more than 1000 books in KU. Do I need to send an email about each of them? Do I have to call and try to read each ASIN out over the phone? C'mon, amazon, just admit there's a problem and tell us how long it will take to fix it.
Moderator of free and open fictional universe site Eroticature

Offline Becca Fanning

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 04, 2016, 11:58:17 AM »
To try to get our borrow information, our message needs to come from the right place, be concise and be seen by the right people.

Venue: I don't think tweets will accomplish much. It's too complicated of an issue happening to too small of a demographic for it to go viral. I think Facebook is the better avenue: we all have a presence there and most of our readership does as well. It also lends itself better to more lengthy messages.

Message: It's gotta be quick and concise. We want to communicate to laypeople what the problem is and why they should care. The problem is Amazon has seemingly lost track of credit that should be paid to authors, and that makes authors want to leave Amazon. So we want to know how many customers are borrowing our books, like we used to. I think some kind of graphic with text overlay, those are popular on Facebook. Then a paragraph with our Call to Action. Our call to action should include a pre-written email that readers can fire off to jeff@amazon.com.

Audience: Facebook and, if we really want it to have an impact, our mailing lists. We might lose a few subscribers, but I think our readers want us to succeed and be compensated by the fifth largest corporation in the world. I think they'll be ok with one email about an issue that really affects us in an immediate way. Harnessing the power of our mailing lists means each of our voices gets multiplied by dozens to thousands.

Becca Fanning

Offline lostones

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 04, 2016, 12:29:57 PM »
Right now we, as authors, are in a great position. We've gotten them to now admit to most (all?) who call in that there is a problem on their end that requires further investigation. It sounds like the RWA might also reach out to Amazon on our behalf (an act which would have me join their ranks when otherwise I wouldn't have). This is all great.

But what happens next is tricky. 24 hours ago their official position was to try to get us to ignore the problem. Remember:

"Weve thoroughly reviewed all of your KU/ KOLL borrows and can confirm that the pages read displayed in your dashboard are accurate."

We might have enough of a foot in the door to press them to give us borrow numbers now. The real issue is credibility, and giving us more transparent access to our borrow information would do a lot to prevent these issues in the future. The best case for Amazon right now is to pump up the KDP pool for September and make it rain pages on us so we'll continue the status quo. The best case for authors is to press them to get better information.

I know that prior attempts to get this information have failed, but we've never had a tangible, demonstrable indication that Amazon has been less than competent with our data. Now we do.

If your reports excel matches the inside. Its accurate. No author can start stating i should have got X amount of reads this month. That's bogus as no one can determine what readers do.  As long as the KU reads match the excel its accurate.

Offline ashleyrose

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 04, 2016, 12:37:30 PM »
If Amazon is saying there is no problem, then why put any more books in Select?  If we would stop using that program, the program would not have inventory and would disappear.  Right?  Nothing new from me is touching Select until the problem is fixed...and there is definitely a problem.

Offline AliceW

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 04, 2016, 12:43:43 PM »
No author can start stating i should have got X amount of reads this month. That's bogus as no one can determine what readers do...

This is my concern with demanding to know borrows - how does that help? I can see authors then assuming every single borrow should result in a full count of pages read. But readers don't all sit down and read 100% of a book as soon as they borrow it. You cannot know the particular behaviour of every reader. Personally I think demanding to know borrows is simply going to muddy the water further. What author wants to be told they have a high number of borrows and few pages read because readers are abandoning the book? Knowing number of borrows (presupposing Amazon would ever release that data) will create a whole different set of problems.

Offline lyndabelle

• California
    • View Profile
    • Lynda Belle's Blog/Website
« Reply #169 on: October 04, 2016, 12:46:43 PM »
Wow! Look what happens when you're away from the board for the weekend.

I had lower KU page reads and thought it was because of my first review for my new release being a one star. (Not the best way to start a release, of course) And I released one of my top selling series as an omnibus edition on Sept. 12, which seemed to be doing well. The next week, things tanked. But the one star was on Sept. 21. So, thought things were horrible because of that. (I have gotten another better review which has helped the ranking, but the damage may be done). So, maybe the bugs have been worked out cause the page reads have started up again over the weekend for me, but there haven't been any the last two days. I know when a new month starts, it's like things reset. I did a promo at the beginning of Sept. thinking it would help the new release too.

September was a very weird month!

And if October is Indie Month, I haven't really seen any advertising for it on Amazon. I've only seen the library events going on. I don't even think Barnes and Noble is getting in on the Indie Month thing either. Maybe some are with local authors. Will have to check out.

I'll have to watch my reads and see if they go up some. Sort of glad I planned the next promo near the end of the month with Halloween so all this can get sorted out first. Makes me wonder what could be going on. Thanks for the heads up. Will follow the thread to see what happens.
The Queens of Andromeda 65%

Love In One Act: Steampunk Erotic Tale #1 67%

Lynda Belle | Website | Amazon Author Page

Offline Becca Mills

• U.S.
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
« Reply #170 on: October 04, 2016, 01:04:28 PM »
What author wants to be told they have a high number of borrows and few pages read because readers are abandoning the book?

Er ... <raises hand>

Not that I'm in KU, but that seems like a pretty darned valuable piece of feedback to get.

Offline AliceW

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 04, 2016, 01:18:28 PM »
Not that I'm in KU, but that seems like a pretty darned valuable piece of feedback to get.

The problem is bulk data will cause more problems, if Amazon simply said you had X borrows. You are going to need to know the number of pages read for each individual borrow for it to have any value. Otherwise all you can do is divide pages read by borrows and approximate how many pages each reader makes it through. Which is exactly what many of us do now, by dividing pages read by KENPC to approx number of borrows (which will always return a conservative number of borrows as it assumes every one is a full read). I can see the tears and tantrums now as indies protest their book is a work of art and of course every reader reads every single page, how can they possibly only have Y reads with X borrows? Then there will be emails demanding another investigation, more data etc.

If you want feedback about if people are reading the book or abandoning it there are other ways that are within your control, to seek that feedback. Don't rely on Amazon to hand you data about your reader behaviour or to provide you with feedback about the quality of your story.

Offline JalexM

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 04, 2016, 01:25:56 PM »
The problem is bulk data will cause more problems, if Amazon simply said you had X borrows. You are going to need to know the number of pages read for each individual borrow for it to have any value. Otherwise all you can do is divide pages read by borrows and approximate how many pages each reader makes it through. Which is exactly what many of us do now, by dividing pages read by KENPC to approx number of borrows (which will always return a conservative number of borrows as it assumes every one is a full read). I can see the tears and tantrums now as indies protest their book is a work of art and of course every reader reads every single page, how can they possibly only have Y reads with X borrows? Then there will be emails demanding another investigation, more data etc.

If you want feedback about if people are reading the book or abandoning it there are other ways that are within your control, to seek that feedback. Don't rely on Amazon to hand you data about your reader behaviour or to provide you with feedback about the quality of your story.
This is a poor argument seeing how we used to see how many borrows we got when we were paid at 10% read instead by the page. It is valuable to know if the problem is your book or if you're getting any borrows at all.

Offline Marian

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 04, 2016, 02:17:57 PM »
I'm coming to this thread late, and I confess that I haven't read every page. Thankfully, I have only one book in KU, and I'm taking it out as soon as the term is up. What has surprised me--shocked me, really--is that  corrections won't be made to KU books unless the authors call Amazon KDP directly. Unless I don't understand what's going on here, what it means essentially is that thousands of authors whose books are in KU who don't read kboards or participate in other forums may never find out that there is a glitch; or they may suspect that something is wrong but they may not handle it effectively by calling KDP. In other words, they may not get what is due them.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 02:39:52 PM by Marian »

Offline Crystal_

• Portland, OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 04, 2016, 02:45:17 PM »
This is a poor argument seeing how we used to see how many borrows we got when we were paid at 10% read instead by the page. It is valuable to know if the problem is your book or if you're getting any borrows at all.

We saw how many borrows we got where people read to 10%. We didn't see the borrows where people read 0-9.9%.