Author Topic: Amazon is intermittently admitting to errors in it's KU page reporting.  (Read 289300 times)  

Offline tresero

• Vegas Baby
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon is intermittently admitting to errors in it's KU page reporting.
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2016, 12:34:47 PM »

It's one of 5-6 kindle first options this month. I think it's a prime thing? 1st of every month Amazon sends out a 'get one of these books a month before anyone else can.' I usually don't pick one, they all usually look kind of... not for me.

Thanks, that would explain the Nov 1 release date.

Offline ParkerAvrile

• View Profile
    • The Runaway Model
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2016, 12:36:24 PM »
Yes, the book is available to everyone free who has Prime, which is a lot of people.  I almost chose that one myself. It's one of six choices, and the subject matter would seem to make it one of the most interesting and involving choices.
Visit my website for free reads & giveaways for lovers of steamy m/m romance www.therunawaymodel.com

Offline AliceW

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2016, 12:37:35 PM »
I wasn't implying anything. In fact I was wondering how it seems that that book is getting ranks. Delete if you need to.

As I and others replied, that title is an Amazon imprint. They have extra tools at their disposal to launch their titles, including giving Prime members a free copy before release. I'm not sure how it is relevant to a discussion about pages read?

Offline Going Incognito

• It's always the quiet ones...
    • View Profile

Offline Going Incognito

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2016, 12:39:35 PM »
As I and others replied, that title is an Amazon imprint. They have extra tools at their disposal to launch their titles, including giving Prime members a free copy before release. I'm not sure how it is relevant to a discussion about pages read?

I'm thinking it was meant as a 'here's another example of weirdness in the Amazon matrix,' kinda thing.

Offline tresero

• Vegas Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2016, 12:40:38 PM »
I'm thinking it was meant as a 'here's another example of weirdness in the Amazon matrix,' kinda thing.

Exactly, and sorry.

Online Boyd

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2016, 12:42:23 PM »

That was how I took it too. 

Hitting #6 in the paid store... those numbers have to be staggering.

Offline LeonardDHilleyII

• Marietta, OH
  • Author of Sci-fi Thrillers/Fantasy/Urban Fantasy
    • View Profile
    • Leonard D. Hilley II Author
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2016, 12:47:57 PM »
Please every one, keep posting and keep sharing. This is a very serious issue. Amazon needs to be held accountable for this glitch, or intentional change they've made without notifying us.

I agree. I had two huge spikes and then nothing for well over a week now. I've even run ads and sold books. No pages read showing up though, and it's usually much higher.

Join my subscription list at: http://leonarddhilleyii.com/ for a free digital copy of Forrest Wollinsky: Vampire Hunter.

Offline Going Incognito

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2016, 12:53:33 PM »
Exactly, and sorry.

Welcome to the shark tank, btw.

Offline chloegarner

• View Profile
    • Blender Fiction
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2016, 12:57:34 PM »
All right, so my numbers are small enough that I can track individual readers, download by download, and I'd assumed that I'd just hit a period where people weren't reading, but it's rare for people to read one of my books in more than two or three days (600 KENP apiece) and while I can count three or four downloads on one book in the last week, two or three on another, and two on a box set, I've been getting 25-50 pages a day on just one of the three.  That's a really, really long time to take on one book, for my normal readers, and no one has opened the other books at all.

My numbers don't remotely qualify as statistical, though.  Could just have a slow reader.

Offline Lysandra_Lorde

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2016, 01:14:10 PM »
I'll throw my ring into the hat. I had close to 4K downloads through SPRT a few days ago. The resulting KENP from a 525KENP book? Just under 5K page reads over 5 days. That would mean that some 13 odd people or so, out of nearly 4,000 borrowed my book... I mean I could just be totally wrong, but that seems horrendously low. I mean that's less than 0.5% per 1,000 eyeballs. I was expecting 1% on the low end, 3% on the high.

Offline mcarl215

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2016, 01:15:17 PM »
I just thought I had a meh month until I sat down with Excel and really analyzed my data. I should have made twice what I did. Emails to Amazon have gone out.

If you haven't looked closely at your numbers yet, do it.  :(

Online Allyson J.

• South Carolina, USA
  • Writer. Traveler. Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • AllysonJeleyne.com
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2016, 01:34:36 PM »
Last week I had a free run for the first book in a KU pen name's series...I got 11 downloads and NO page reads. But, I am now getting page reads on a book that has not been in KU since January of 2015. I have no idea what's going on.  ???

ETA: Romance series
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 01:38:04 PM by Allyson J. »

1900s - 1920s historical romance
Website | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Mailing List

Offline Indiecognito

• Even I don't know who I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2016, 01:45:14 PM »
Last week I had a free run for the first book in a KU pen name's series...I got 11 downloads and NO page reads. But, I am now getting page reads on a book that has not been in KU since January of 2015. I have no idea what's going on.  ???

ETA: Romance series

It almost sounds like one of their servers is set on the wrong date.

Offline eroticatorium

• View Profile
    • Eroticature.org
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2016, 02:18:02 PM »
Thanks for this, I've escalated my earlier request with KDP-support. A book I released last week has been under 70k rank this whole time and still has not had a single reported sale or page read. (Like others my sales in general are doing fine, better than expected even, especially since I would expect plummeting pages to lead to a downturn in sales.)
Moderator of free and open fictional universe site Eroticature

Offline bobfrost

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2016, 02:22:28 PM »
I'll throw in that I to have seen a massive decline since early September. Page reads have been cut in half pretty much across the board from my normal baseline, and my most recent novel release earned less than a third of what my typical releases earn out in a 30 day period despite ranking consistently with my catalog.

Perhaps to put it in better perspective, prior to September, I can't remember my last month where I didn't average $1,000 per day or more. Today, despite several recent releases and a book climbing the charts hard and fast, I'm might fall short of $200.

Something is going on, and I don't think it's on my end.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 02:28:51 PM by bobfrost »

Offline Lysandra_Lorde

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2016, 02:26:58 PM »
Me, too! On one freebie (SPRT also), my page reads flatlined the day the promo started.
On another freebie on overlapping days, the page reads are lowish but within a normal-ish range.

Glitch city.
Good to know I'm not alone! Lol.

Offline Becca Mills

• U.S.
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2016, 02:29:28 PM »
Blogged about this here. Sunday afternoon isn't the best time to catch people's attention, but fingers crossed.

Offline SM Barrett

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2016, 02:29:41 PM »
This is starting to look like a Kindle Select-wide issue, and not just something that certain authors are seeing.

If it's a system problem, all writers should see some correction, not just a few.

If every individual writer has to contact Amazon and deal with stonewalling, that is a significant issue, because it might represent SOP for any issue in the future.
S.M. Barrett

Offline bobfrost

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2016, 02:32:35 PM »
Here's another blog on the issue from hidden gems:

http://hiddengemsromance.com/amazons-indie-authors-not-earning/

Online PhoenixS

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2016, 03:39:14 PM »
I'll throw my ring into the hat. I had close to 4K downloads through SPRT a few days ago. The resulting KENP from a 525KENP book? Just under 5K page reads over 5 days. That would mean that some 13 odd people or so, out of nearly 4,000 borrowed my book... I mean I could just be totally wrong, but that seems horrendously low. I mean that's less than 0.5% per 1,000 eyeballs. I was expecting 1% on the low end, 3% on the high.

Did you catch at what rank your book returned to paid? That would give you an indication of how many borrows minimum it had over the free run period if it started out at a rank of at least #30K or so. (edited to add the "at least" to help clarify that it's easier to get an accurate number if the book is only ranking moderately well in the store at best to begin with.)

For the 2 we had in:

Book 1 - Contemporary:
# DLs - 2135
Returned to paid - #4700
Minimum borrows - 50 (because it takes 50 sales-equivalents to hit a rank of #4700)
Pages read so far - ~5000
KENPC - 274
Number of full reads (for purposes of this exercise) - 18

Book 2 - Historical
# DLs - 1635
Returned to paid - #16,696
Minimum borrows - 16
Pages read so far - ~5000
KENPC - 661
Number of full reads - 7.5

There were likely more borrows than the minimum since the book was free for 5 days. You can do some back-of-envelope figuring on yours too if you know where it returned to paid.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 03:51:42 PM by PhoenixS »
  (click to enbiggen)

Online PhoenixS

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2016, 03:42:45 PM »
More anecdotal data around low page read numbers:

I ran the same 3-book series on promo in June and Sept. Book 1 was free via BookBub in June and Book 2 free via BB in Sept. Comparatively, we saw more downloads of the freebie and many more sales of the paid books in Sept.

JUNE:
Book 1 - Free -  55,000 DLs
Book 2 - 99 - 1137 sales - best rank #308
Book 3 - $3.99 - 430 sales

SEPT:
Book 1 - 99 - 1490 sales - best rank #156
Book 2 - Free - 56,500 DLs
Book 3 - $1.99 - 1417 sales - best rank #195

Even so, over the same 15-day period encompassing the promo days and after, we've seen about 1/3 fewer page reads in September for this series.

ETA: To put numbers to what that looks like, in June it was about 1.1 million reads during that 15 days compared to about 716K during that same 15-day period in Sept. That's about a $1700 difference :(
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 03:46:53 PM by PhoenixS »
  (click to enbiggen)

Offline Lysandra_Lorde

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2016, 04:10:13 PM »
Thanks for the input on that, Phoenix :) I wish I could confidentially say. Probably around rank 15K at the lowest, and 10K at the highest. It went into free for 3 days, and it's paid started at 9K or something, I think.

Offline Crystal_

• Portland, OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2016, 04:23:30 PM »
I hadn't even considered looking at books published with updates. I don't have the data in front of me, so I can't say if my falling pages are normal post release drop or something more severe (I'm reasonably sure I updated two of the books in my main series during September). They are showing 30-50% drops in pages, but they're also coming off a promo. I'll have to check more in depth when I get home and have all my data handy. From a quick glance, the pages look low considering sales are holding steady.

Offline LKRigel

• west coast, north america
    • View Profile
    • Blog of LK Rigel
« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2016, 04:44:47 PM »
I don't know if this is relevant, but I updated some covers a few weeks ago and lost the also boughts on two of the books - both of which have been out for years. I complained to KDP and got the standard tough stuff cream puff boilerplate reply.