KB Featured Book
Murder in Seattle
by Dianne Harman

$ 0.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 445

Product Description
From USA TODAY bestselling author and seven time Amazon All Star author, another page-turning cozy murder mystery!

What would you do if your sister's husband of twelve hours, Clark, was considered a suspect by the police in connection with his rich Uncle Vinny's murder? And the rich uncle just happened to be a member of the Mob?

DeeDee has no choice but to enlist the help of her boyfriend Jake, a private investigator, as well as Al, Uncle Vinny's scary bodyguard, to help her find the murderer and clear Clark's name.

It could have been a number of people, but which one? Was it Uncle Vinny's cousin or his wife? Uncle Vinny had a lot of money, and although he hadn't come by it legally, the color was still green. Or the rogue cop whose father had ended the prostitution rings in Seattle, but was certain Uncle Vinny was the person who had resurrected them. Or perhaps Clark'...

Author Topic: Amazon is intermittently admitting to errors in it's KU page reporting.  (Read 301904 times)  

Offline KaraKing

• Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon is intermittently admitting to errors in it's KU page reporting.
« Reply #100 on: October 03, 2016, 07:46:20 AM »
My rankings on both my kindle titles have plummeted to levels I haven't seen in years. Still no response from Kdp and my book is still in the review process! It's like it's stuck in review mode. Something is going on over there.

Am I the only one whose rankings have fallen way down? From the 800's to 3800 today!!! I was 2800 yesterday. When will it stop?   ???

It seems those being affected are either  new releases or have made changes to their titles recently. Anyone not in these two categories having issues?

Kara King | twitter | facebook

Offline WasAnn

• I is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 03, 2016, 07:51:43 AM »
It's very important that if you notice a problem with your page reads that you reach out to Amazon to let them know. Please don't wait for others. It's possible that each situation needs it's own investigation and that there will be no blanket solution.

Not every author who has emailed in has gotten satisfaction, but no author who has remained silent has gotten satisfaction.

-Bec

While that is certainly true, the sad fact is that a lot of us aren't big enough names to get the same kind of diligence from Zon. Many of us will get an "everything is fine" email and no matter how much we stomp and ask to speak to the manager, we will get put on the bottom of the pile while those who have some pull are taken care of.

So, if one of those that can get serious attention from KDP would let those of us who get nothing more than a pat on the head know what they find out, it would be a kindness.

Offline Going Incognito

• It's always the quiet ones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 03, 2016, 07:54:41 AM »

It seems those being affected are either  new releases or have made changes to their titles recently. Anyone not in these two categories having issues?

If you mean that the author as a whole is tanking after a new release and/or making changes, then that's me, too. But if you mean just the new release titles or updated titles are crashing, then no. Every title I have is nosediving, new or old, untouched or updated. Nosediving HARD. I've gone from a very solid $20k a month income for over a year to $5k in the throwing of an Amazon switch. I'm now at a very steady average that is exactly 1/4 of my normal.

Offline Steven Kelliher

• Boston
    • View Profile
    • StevenKelliher.com
« Reply #103 on: October 03, 2016, 07:58:29 AM »
I mean ... is there any legal action that can be taken?

I'm a very small fish in this pond, but dropping from an average of 1k pagereads per day for 6 weeks with NO PROMOS down to zero, is strange to say the least.

Everyone who was reading the book finished it on the same day? And nobody else has picked it up despite sales?

Seems bigger authors here have much more legit statistics to show them. I don't like the fact that we have no way of knowing how accurate (nor not) Amazon's reporting is.

Steven Kelliher | Web site | Twitter

Offline Markus Croft

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 03, 2016, 08:14:54 AM »
Exactly, and sorry.

I wouldn't apologize to people like that, you did nothing wrong and your thoughts don't need to be validated by anyone else to be relevant (despite what some self-important posters seem to think). Kboards is a wonderful place with a wealth of information, but like someone else said, it's also a shark tank with a few individuals who can't seem to tolerate people who have curiosities or lines of thinking they don't understand or agree with. My unsolicited advice is: Ignore them and read on! ;D

Offline JalexM

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 03, 2016, 08:16:56 AM »
Amazon has been having alot of problems lately, from also boughts and also views being interswitched, to series pages being messed up, and now to pages read, I just released a new book and I've never been sticky before but i've gotten an average of 500 pages read a day since tuesday, but it's a new release so i'm not sure if that's bad or good yet.

Offline Going Incognito

• It's always the quiet ones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 03, 2016, 08:21:15 AM »
Oh, and I don't do anything scammy. No click to the ends. Nothing.

Offline Becca Fanning

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 03, 2016, 08:27:21 AM »
While that is certainly true, the sad fact is that a lot of us aren't big enough names to get the same kind of diligence from Zon. Many of us will get an "everything is fine" email and no matter how much we stomp and ask to speak to the manager, we will get put on the bottom of the pile while those who have some pull are taken care of.

So, if one of those that can get serious attention from KDP would let those of us who get nothing more than a pat on the head know what they find out, it would be a kindness.

I understand the sentiment but I disagree. I know the author that pushed and pushed and got someone to admit something was wrong. Their books are very good, but they're a rising star, not quite on Amazon's radar. The only thing that mattered was that they persevered where I (and others) had given up. You and Amazon have a business relationship, and if you operate in good faith with them then you can demand the same from them. It doesn't matter if you sold one book two years ago or if you're selling hundreds a day.

Don't count yourself short.

Becca Fanning

Offline Crystal_

• Portland, OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 03, 2016, 08:35:53 AM »

If enough authors contact them, they'll have to look into it. I'm planning on sending a detailed email as soon as I'm at my computer (currently traveling). A lot of Kboards authors are big authors. I'm someone no one has heard of and I've nabbed one of the top 50 All Star bonuses for the last few months.

Offline eroticatorium

• View Profile
    • Eroticature.org
« Reply #109 on: October 03, 2016, 08:45:26 AM »
I emailed them yesterday about books stuck in review for several days now, and they said they are aware of issues but will take five days to get back to me (they've already been in review for three days, so this totally sucks, they'd be earning cash right now, it's a niche that's blowing up).
Moderator of free and open fictional universe site Eroticature

Offline Moist_Tissue

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 03, 2016, 09:12:09 AM »
My bet is some engineer, in a good faith effort to automate and expedite the upload approval process, accidentally tinkered with something that affected page reads. As a result, there is probably manual review, approval, and tallying of pages. Just a wild guess.
The Molly Malones: 100%

Siuil a Run: 100%

To The Valley's Edge: 0%
Siobhn Babhar

Offline Becca Fanning

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 03, 2016, 11:00:02 AM »

It's also worth mentioning that September's money will be the last we get until AFTER the holiday season. For some of us, pages lost are Christmas presents that can't be afforded.

Becca Fanning

Offline JaclynDolamore

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 03, 2016, 11:02:10 AM »
I only have one title of note and it's been moving up the charts basically since the beginning of September, so I can't tell what "normal" page reads should look like. Maybe they should be even better, for all I know. That's what is disturbing about this... I don't know that I should email them, because my page reads look reasonably solid, but if this is affecting so many people it's hard to feel confident...

Jaclyn Dolamore | Blog | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Becca Mills

• California
  • Beware the yellow snowball.
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
« Reply #113 on: October 03, 2016, 11:24:49 AM »
My bet is some engineer, in a good faith effort to automate and expedite the upload approval process, accidentally tinkered with something that affected page reads. As a result, there is probably manual review, approval, and tallying of pages. Just a wild guess.

It could also be, as Rinelle said, that they're trying to implement a system that really does keep track of pages-read incrementally, not just at the end. Maybe they broke or clogged up the reporting while tinkering with it? If a new tracking system requires changes to each ebook's coding, that might explain why the problem seems to be affecting new releases in particular: new releases have the new coding, but older books are still being reported in the old way. (All total guesses on my part, of course.)

My biggest problem is how do I know for sure that I'm having an issue? I'm still seeing some page reads. Not as much as my last release, but it was the last in a serial, this is the first in a related one. And it's been 6 months since then. I just really can't tell for sure. It's very frustrating!

See, this is why this problem is so serious, IMO. We need to be able to trust the reporting system. Everyone understands (or should understand) that glitches happen, but Amazon's vendors have to be able to trust that, in the end, they will be paid for every digital product sold. Since digital commerce is functionally invisible, trust is key. Problems like this break trust. Now every single KU author is looking at their pages-read and wondering. Terrible.  :(

Offline HSh

• Homicide, She Typed
  • Manslaughter, She Inscribed
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 03, 2016, 11:35:23 AM »
I don't know if this is related, but there's some wonkiness in the Amazon wish list area, for me at least.  It hasn't added anything for at least 24 hours, even when it says it's been added (or re-added). 

Hollis Shiloh  | My blog | Amazon page

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 03, 2016, 11:44:50 AM »
It's also worth mentioning that September's money will be the last we get until AFTER the holiday season. For some of us, pages lost are Christmas presents that can't be afforded.

Yeah, and for some of us, it's food that won't be on the table, but, prawn.

I've spent the morning going through my statements since May, and as far as I can tell, my issue is with Book Report. They're off on some things, but not enough for me to have panicked.

I truly have no idea if my page reads are messed up or if it's just that my niche market isn't interested in my stuff any more. Normally, a new release would bring all the previous books back up, but it didn't happen this time. The last of those I'd released was in late May, so I probably lost momentum.

In August, I had a new novel out (different pen name), which made for a decent month considering everything else. September was sucky. I had eight sales and five returns. I've only had five returns over the last five years!

Anyway, I'm just going to keep plugging away and try to meet my goals for this month. Whatever is going on, I hope it works out soon, because this sort of thing, without any explanation from Amazon, is crazy.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline dianapersaud

• View Profile
    • Diana Persaud
« Reply #116 on: October 03, 2016, 12:12:50 PM »

This is why there should be quality control testing BEFORE the "update" is released and live.
Somebody (or maybe a group) didn't do a thorough job.

My husband works in quality control (not for Amazon) and is crazy good at finding issues and he always catches errors when Engineering does "small" fixes. You would be surprised at how often "small fixes" create large problems.

Diana Persaud | My Website

Offline Becca Fanning

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 03, 2016, 12:14:47 PM »
I just called into Amazon (866-216-1072) and went to an operator. I told the person that I was a KDP Author and needed to speak to someone in their KDP tech support department. I was quickly transferred and spoke to a nice gentleman who asked me for some of my ASINs.

I gave him two or three egregious offenders (though not any dates, just the ASINs). He asked me if I knew that I only got page reads for borrows and not sales. I confirmed that I understood that. He put me on hold for a minute or two then came back and said that there is an ongoing problem on the pages appearing in the reports and that he would have to transfer my information to another department so they could go over it.

HERE IS THE IMPORTANT PART: They are only checking ASINs that they are made aware of via phone. I had sent them several ASINs via email and they sent me back the boilerplate everything is fine email. Only when I called in and gave them ASINs did they agree to check them. I confirmed that they will only check the ASINs I give them, so I gave them the last 20 books I published.

Emails might not be enough: you should call in.

Becca Fanning

Offline AliceW

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 03, 2016, 12:31:19 PM »
Emails might not be enough: you should call in.

Not everyone lives in the US. Calling Amazon might not be an option for many international prawns, who firstly don't have historical data to "know" something is wrong with reads, and secondly (because they are prawns) can't afford a horrifically expensive call to Amazon.

Offline Becca Fanning

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 03, 2016, 12:39:38 PM »
Not everyone lives in the US. Calling Amazon might not be an option for many international prawns, who firstly don't have historical data to "know" something is wrong with reads, and secondly (because they are prawns) can't afford a horrifically expensive call to Amazon.

I know sometimes KDP will authorize your account for direct phone support. An author under those circumstances might be able to request a phone call from them? I don't know otherwise, sorry. :(

Becca Fanning

Offline bbhamel

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 03, 2016, 12:45:10 PM »
FOR ANYONE UNSURE:

Go into your authorcentral account and find a few books that look like the book that might be problematic (as many as you can; even just 1 similar book would be fine). If they're of a similar kenpc length and genre, that's ideal, but get what you can. Then go compare those books in your bookreport (or whatever you use to track this data) and grab their ranks off authorcentral to make sure they're equivalent. I took days 4, 5, and 6 of four books and compared them to days 4, 5, and 6 of a book I believe has issues. I found the book ranked similarly (within 30 slots), had an almost identical kenpc, and was on the same pen as two of the books, but had 50% fewer pages read. That trend continued for the book's lifespan, never improving to the point where it would be reasonable to assume anything but a glitch.

This issue seems to only be effecting people that launched after September 5th, so if your backlist titles look normal, that's fine.

B. B. Hamel | Website | Facebook

Offline Steven Kelliher

• Boston
    • View Profile
    • StevenKelliher.com
« Reply #121 on: October 03, 2016, 12:46:47 PM »
Piggybacking on Becca's post ^^^

I just called in and finally got transferred to the KDP office. The man I spoke with assured me that Amazon is aware of the problem and has received a lot of Emails and calls this week about it. He actually said it has been "elevated far above my position, to our highest team."

That, folks, leads me to believe this is a big, big deal and has been identifies as a major problem by Amazon. He assured me my complaint would be escalated to that team and I should be called or Emailed by them without a form response.

I'll update here when/if that happens.

Glad other (bigger) authors wrote about it here. I was just assuming my pagereads dropped off. I'm a noob. But, then again, it doesn't make sense that I went from an avg. of about 700 pages per day to goose eggs.

Steven Kelliher | Web site | Twitter

Offline bobfrost

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 03, 2016, 02:42:41 PM »
More back and forth emails with Amazon. First assurances that there are no problems, and now...

An email stating that their technical team is looking into it.

Ugg :(

« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 02:59:53 PM by bobfrost »

Online LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 03, 2016, 02:49:02 PM »
I've sent my request, too. I'm not missing the thousands of dollars others are, but I want Amazon's reporting to be accurate. This situation--especially the reports of initial stonewalling--makes me very leery of continuing to put my books in Kindle Select/KU.

Offline Sam Kates

• UK
  • From the land of song and dragons.
    • View Profile
    • Sam Kates
« Reply #124 on: October 03, 2016, 03:25:05 PM »

Yep - that pretty much describes me.  :(

sam kates