KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Echo reading WSJ from Audible  (Read 611 times)  

Offline Pickett

• View Profile
Echo reading WSJ from Audible
« on: January 04, 2017, 12:40:47 PM »
Is anyone able to get Alexa to read the current WSJ or NYTimes?  I get a WSJ read every day from Audible, but no matter how I word it Alexa either says she can't find it or she reads one from a different date a year or two ago!  I have tried every wording I can think of and finally Alexa herself said "Clearly this is not supported."

But it is there in my Audible cloud and once I was able to get her to read yesterday's WSJ and another time one from a week ago.

This has been a huge source of frustration for me and I am ashamed to admit I finally told her she is stupid; she responded "That's not very nice to say" which made me feel bad (and wonder if this is monitored at Amazon!) but also made me realize she has heard this before.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Re: Echo reading WSJ from Audible
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 12:50:09 PM »
I've had Alexa respond the same way.  ::)

I recommend you send feedback to the Alexa team using the app.  You can open one of the "cards"on the home page where asking for the WSJ didn't work and send feedback from that card.  They will be in touch with you very quickly and will likely ask if they can call you to have you try things while they are on the line.

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Pickett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 07:06:09 PM »
Thanks Betsy.  Here is their answer:

"unfortunately the Audible function on Alexa is able only for Audiobooks. 
Some Audible content and featuressuch as newspaper and magazine audio subscriptions, chapter navigation by voice, stats and badges, bookmarks, or narration speedare not supported at this time."

I find it a bit strange bc as I said it will play a WSJ. just not the most recent one.  Being owned by Amazon I would think it would not be difficult to support reading the correct date. But so be it. Perhaps in the future.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 08:19:25 PM »
Hmmm.

I could have sworn the other day, when listening to an audible book on my Dot, I asked her to skip a chapter and she did.

You might reply saying that you've had it read WSJ to you...

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Pickett

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 12:44:05 PM »

You are right, Betsy,  especially since when it does read WSJ (albeit not the issue I requested) I can navigate, going back and skipping to the next chapter. It will also pick up the reading on my other Echo/Dot.  But right now I am too frustrated with the experience to fight with Amazon. There is probably a bug or programming issue somewhere and they have determined it is easier to say it's not supported than to deal with it. Perhaps in time it will be "supported."