by M. R. Mathias

$ 3.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-07-09
Bestseller ranking: 7257

Product Description
Taerak's Void
(Book One of Fantastica)
A new series by multiple award winning author, M. R. Mathias

After finding a strange medallion and some maps with markings that no one in his village can understand, Braxton Bray decides to take it all to the Hall of Scholars in the kingdom's capital. But greed is everywhere. Braxton and a tough young female caravan guard named Nixy are forced to run for their lives, for someone else wants what Braxton found and is willing to go to great lengths to take it from him.

With a hefty, kingdom wide, bounty on their heads, not even the great wizards of the Sorcerious can help them. Left with nothing but each other, Braxton and Nixy have no choice but to get on a ship and go on an adventure that will take them places they would have otherwise never imagined. Elves, dwarves, giant gothicans, and trolls, treacherous forests on distant shores, love, death, terror, and magic all await...

Author Topic: "Amazon Music Unlimited" released  (Read 1690 times)  

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
  • Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
"Amazon Music Unlimited" released
« on: October 12, 2016, 05:29:32 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/gp/dmusic/promotions/AmazonMusicUnlimited?pf_rd_r=34HG5QR8DBE7ACVEJHPC&pf_rd_p=8878c80e-64c0-40c0-8755-c9449effe096

Apparently it is $10/ month generally, $8/month forPrime members, and $4/ month for an Echo only plan. I don't totally reject the Echo plan, but the others are too expensive in a world with plenty of legitimate free streaming music.

(Make your own reading bar)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
Re: "Amazon Music Unlimited" released
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 05:35:42 AM »
https://techcrunch.com/2016/10/12/amazon-music-unlimited-debuts-with-discounts-for-prime-members-cheap-echo-only-plan/

This news article contains some info that I don't readily see in the Amazon stuff. Apparently Prime members have an annual rate of $80/year available. And the Echo plan has "commentaries" for a very limited selection of music. I doubt I'll get the Echo plan. Still completely rejecting the other options, especially since I have a subscription to Prime Music already with my Prime Membership.

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 05:40:58 AM »
Didn't read everything . . . no time right now . . . but how is this different to the existing Amazon Prime streaming?

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 05:46:47 AM »
Didn't read everything . . . no time right now . . . but how is this different to the existing Amazon Prime streaming?

In short, much broader selection of music, especially for new releases. This is a competitor to Pandora or Spotify.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 05:51:10 AM by The Hooded Claw »

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 05:50:02 AM »
In short, much broader selection of music. This is a competitor to Pandora or Spotify.

Ah!

So sort of like the difference between Prime Reading and KU.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 06:58:44 AM »
But prime music is not going away, right? I know it doesn't have the selection of a spotify or such things, but I really don't need that. I find plenty to listen to on prime music. There is a lot of stuff in it really. I will not pay extra for it. I don't listen to music that often and I found I just keep going back to my own stuff anyway. My own music storage that is.

I am more of a radio listener so I might try Iheart Radio's plan later this year they are starting up. I like the surprise of turning on a radio channel and not knowing what is coming as suppose to having to pick something specific.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
  • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 07:59:57 AM »
I am going to at least try (and probably keep) the Echo plan.  I don't listen to much music on-the-go or any place else.  Echo plan info says single Echo.  I have two in my one bedroom condo.  Single Echo is one at a time -- not one only.  :)

There may be a broader selection of music on Pandora, but you can't request anything too specific.  I have and like Pandora One (no commercials).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 08:03:09 AM by Sandpiper »

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 08:03:03 AM »
But prime music is not going away, right?

That was my understanding when the initial reports surfaced a month or so ago, and it appears to be still true.  The included Prime benefit will still exist; just more current/popular music will be available through the Music Unlimited subscription.  I do expect some music previously available on Prime will be shifted over to be available only on Unlimited.  Edited for clarity--see later post.  Sorry for any confusion.  For the time being, I'm sticking with Prime.

Betsy
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 10:03:00 AM by Betsy the Quilter »
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 08:05:47 AM »
That was my understanding when the initial reports surfaced a month or so ago, and it appears to be still true.  The included Prime benefit will still exist; just more current/popular music will be available through the Music Unlimited subscription.  I do expect some music previously available on Prime will be shifted over to Unlimited.  For the time being, I'm sticking with Prime.

Betsy

I would think everything available on Prime music would also be available on Music Unlimited -- that and (much?) more.

Online Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 08:48:06 AM »
I am going to at least try (and probably keep) the Echo plan.  I don't listen to much music on-the-go or any place else.  Echo plan info says single Echo.  I have two in my one bedroom condo.  Single Echo is one at a time -- not one only.  :)

Yeah, the word SINGLE is also throwing me off a bit.  We have multiple Echo devices (including Dots and a Tap) in the house and I'd want to be able to use it in whichever room I happened to be in at the time.
Did you find something that specifically said one at a time instead of a plan tied to a single existing Echo?

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 09:42:34 AM »
It's funny, I also have reservations about the mention of a single Echo. It will make a difference whether that means one Echo ever, or one Echo at a time. I didn't know there were that many people with multiple Echoes, but I'm sure members of this Forum are not typical.

I also know nothing of any changes to Prime Music. I assume it is staying. Between my own music library of over 30 gig stored in Amazon Cloud, and the stuff I occasionally get from Prime Music, I think I will skip even the Echo version of the new service, though it is tempting.

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 09:55:08 AM »
I would think everything available on Prime music would also be available on Music Unlimited -- that and (much?) more.

I agree completely!  Sorry, I was definitely unclear before.  What I meant to say was that it wouldn't surprise me if some music currently available on Prime (like the Beatles catalog, for example, which must be very expensive) will at some point be shifted so that you have to subscribe to Unlimited to listen to it.

I'm going to stick with Prime.  I can buy a lot of individual pieces of music I like for $80/year.

Betsy

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2016, 10:00:09 AM »
Yeah, the word SINGLE is also throwing me off a bit.  We have multiple Echo devices (including Dots and a Tap) in the house and I'd want to be able to use it in whichever room I happened to be in at the time.
Did you find something that specifically said one at a time instead of a plan tied to a single existing Echo?

No, didn't find it on the web site.  I called Amazon Echo dept. (877-375-9365) and asked.  She told me "single" is one at a time -- not one specific Echo only.  I asked her to confirm that a couple times when I was talking with her.

I am having a hard time with voice requests.  They've go a lot of work to do still.  I asked, "Play lullabies instrumental only."  Two tracks and it quit??  I called Amazon.  Told me to try, "Play instrumental lullabies."  That seems to work.

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 10:19:21 AM »
Thanks for asking, Sandpiper.  I noticed that the information about the plans on the website is pretty skimpy.

Betsy

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 10:19:27 AM »
So on Amazon it says over 2 million free with prime. Seems like plenty. Will it have the newest stuff? Not much, but I don't really listen to a whole lot of new music anyway. And it would be cheaper to buy those occasional albums then.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 10:25:48 AM »
Thanks for asking, Sandpiper.  I noticed that the information about the plans on the website is pretty skimpy.

Betsy

I just now called again.  Again confirmed that "single" is one at a time -- not one only.  Yes. 

Also told him that if Amazon is going to charge for this service, they have got to improve voice requesting.  As far as I'm concerned -- it's bad.  I have a hard time.  No better than it was with just Prime music.  Don't know that simply bigger catalog is worth the $4.  There's got to be other improvements -- voice requesting.

Offline gdae23

• NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 12:13:15 PM »
 Undecided at the moment whether I'll try this or not, but here's another helpful article:

https://www.wired.com/2016/10/amazons-music-service-launches-secret-weapon-alexa/

Offline DawnB

• California, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2016, 06:59:52 PM »
I signed up for the free trial of the Unlimited $7.99 (Prime Members) plan, I listen to a lot of music & have several devices. So far they have all the new releases I'm searched for. (Prime Music didn't have them). I had Spotify before but I think Music Unlimited will be better for me.

Offline gdae23

• NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2016, 03:11:32 PM »
According to this article, if you take the $3.99 plan you can use Music Unlimited on all of your Alexa devices during the 30 day trial period.  However, once the trial period is over, you can only continue to listen on the device on which you signed up for the plan.  If you want to listen on your other Alexa devices after the trial period, you have to upgrade to the full plan.  In that case, you would be able to use it on all your non-Alexa devices as well.

I've been looking over the selection in Music Unlimited,  and it seems to be about as good as the selection in the other big streaming plans. I listen to mostly non-mainstream music,  and much of it is on there.  Still on the fence about whether I'm going to try this plan or not.

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazons-3-99-echo-only-plan-for-amazon-music-unlimited-is-litterally-for-a-single-device/

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2016, 03:41:54 PM »
According to this article, if you take the $3.99 plan you can use Music Unlimited on all of your Alexa devices during the 30 day trial period.  However, once the trial period is over, you can only continue to listen on the device on which you signed up for the plan.  If you want to listen on your other Alexa devices after the trial period, you have to upgrade to the full plan.  In that case, you would be able to use it on all your non-Alexa devices as well.

I've been looking over the selection in Music Unlimited,  and it seems to be about as good as the selection in the other big streaming plans. I listen to mostly non-mainstream music,  and much of it is on there.  Still on the fence about whether I'm going to try this plan or not.

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazons-3-99-echo-only-plan-for-amazon-music-unlimited-is-litterally-for-a-single-device/

I just called Amazon -- again.  What this article says is true, but . . . .  I asked Louie to confirm it via e-mail.  If you have more than one Echo, you can go into "Manage Your Devices" on Amazon and easily switch plan from one Echo to another whenever you want.

Online Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2016, 06:13:33 AM »
I just called Amazon -- again.  What this article says is true, but . . . .  I asked Louie to confirm it via e-mail.  If you have more than one Echo, you can go into "Manage Your Devices" on Amazon and easily switch plan from one Echo to another whenever you want.

That seems like more work than I'm willing to do...  At that point, it may be worth it to pay the $79/year so I can listen on everything.
I think I'll wait to start my trial until after the first 30 days are over so Amazon has a chance to iron the wrinkles out.
I did laugh at some of the comments - specifically the one wondering who had more than one Echo.  I know lots of people who have multiple Echo devices :)

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2016, 06:27:18 AM »

Ah.  This makes sense to me.  It's the same way they do newspaper subscriptions for Kindles; you get the subscription to a designated Kindle--but can switch it through MYD. 

Betsy

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2016, 07:59:31 AM »
That seems like more work than I'm willing to do...  At that point, it may be worth it to pay the $79/year so I can listen on everything.
I think I'll wait to start my trial until after the first 30 days are over so Amazon has a chance to iron the wrinkles out.
I did laugh at some of the comments - specifically the one wondering who had more than one Echo.  I know lots of people who have multiple Echo devices :)

I have two in a one bedroom condo.  Reading the comments on one of the linked articles above -- someone in Hawaii has 12.  :o  :o  I'm only guessing he might have a large B&B, small motel each room with an Echo?  Nice amenity.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 08:43:09 AM by Sandpiper »

Online Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2016, 08:39:14 AM »
I think we are up to 10 total (after adding in the two new Dots that will arrive next week).  The home automation has sucked me in and I want one in every room :)

Offline DawnB

• California, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2016, 05:01:09 PM »
I have 3, 1 Echo, 1 Dot, 1 Tap (Echo in the living room, Dot in my bedroom with a Brookstone Mini Blue speaker) There is not a full wall separating my livingroom/kitchen the Echo can hear me from the kitchen too. (The tap sits on my desk). I have a 2nd Gen Dot on order, about 2 wks ago my Dot would stop playing audio on its own then start up by itself again at random times (ie 5, 30 minutes or even an hour later) the Echo support & I couldn't figure out why after a lot of troubleshooting (we assume the Dot is losing its connection to the service servers but not losing wifi connection) so they gave me a $25 credit towards the new dot. When the new Dot gets here I'm going to give my original Dot to a neighbor to see if acts up for him too.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac