mblart

Author Topic: Is this a scam?  (Read 1894 times)  

Offline V.P.

• View Profile
Is this a scam?
« on: October 30, 2016, 06:17:11 AM »
A few months ago, I read a thread about Creative Online Publishing started by SA Soule (quoted below). There were only a few responses to Sherry's post. Most of the responses were not very encouraging, but no one actually called Creative Online Publishing a vanity press.

I just received a similar letter from Creative Online Publishing, and now they claim to have expanded into the mystery/thriller arena. A couple of things I found interesting in the email I received were these claims:
Currently we have over 30,000 genuine iBook store customers on our database, and this figure is growing by the day. These readers help push all our titles into the top charts within the first week of release. Furthermore, we also promote your title once its live via hundreds of blog posts dedicated to online readership of this genre  and Our recent two releases, Brooke Page's *Obsession* and Katherine King's *Captivated* reached no. 2 and no. 4 on the US iBookstore Paid Top Charts for Romance!

What do you think? Legitimate? Scam? Vanity Press?

I received an email from Creative Online Publishing Inc, but I don't know much about this company. It seems they only publish romance type stories.
Has anyone had any experiences publishing through this site? Pros? Cons? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!
~Sherry

Offline AnnaB

• View Profile

Offline V.P.

• View Profile
Re: Is this a scam?
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 06:46:35 AM »
Thanks for the link. It made for some interesting reading. I'm still not sure what to make of the publisher's claims of successfully skyrocketing authors to the top of the Apple charts, which even one of the posters on the Absolutewrite thread acknowledged was true - although calling it a "honeymoon period" on the part of the the authors. That was over a year ago. I wonder if they have actually grown as much as they claim they have over the last year and really can help authors gain a significant toehold on Apple?

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 07:19:28 AM »
I'm not sure what about that linked thread doesn't set off your scam radar? The rep from the company basically admitted going around to find writers that might be willing to write for them, with the email stating they look for self-pub authors. That usually means the folks who don't know any better. What makes them think someone published by a press, big or small, would be interested in them?

They aren't exactly on the up-and-up in their first thread there in the paid work forum about rates, rights or anything else until someone asked. They posted about hiring ghostwriters. Now they're a publisher? Or what?

And then there's this from their site:

Welcome to Creative Online Publishing Inc, the experts in digital publishing!

According to the linked thread, they're just starting out, don't know how to go about convincing authors they're the real deal, can't figure out how to write a reasonable email to interest anyone but a newb. And a year later, they are experts? Seriously?

Oh, and this:

Launched in 2012, Creative Online Publishing Inc. is rapidly becoming a key player in the digital publishing industry.

Um. Then why has no one who hasn't gotten their emails ever heard of them?

For books that are already published online, we only ask for your digital Apple (iBook store) rights as we are experts in creating online HITS on the Apple iBookstore.

Emphasis theirs. Has anyone ever heard of these folks helping someone get a hit on Apple? Other than in their testimonials on the site? I don't think I've ever seen anyone come here and talk about how great this company has been in helping them sell more there, nor have I seen anything on any other writer's forum. And we'd normally be interested in getting better sales on other platforms.

Your books title (& your name) is emailed to tens of thousands of Apples most dedicated and loyal readers of erotic romance

We create an online viral marketing campaign including twitter feeds and blog postings

An email blast? You can do this yourself. Or pay Bookbub. Which admittedly isn't getting you an advance, but we know BB works. Why deal with an outside company that apparently pays a low "advance" and then has their hooks in you for however long the contract is, or life of copyright?

The site seems hinky to me, and I'm not sure about the part where they pay you $500. You get no details about rights, royalties, only a 60 day guarantee to let you out of the contract, free. What happens if you want out after that?

I'd say ignore, even block them from contacting you again (auto spam), and write and publish your own work. Or find a reputable press to take your books.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline V.P.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 07:50:06 AM »
Has anyone ever heard of these folks helping someone get a hit on Apple? Other than in their testimonials on the site? I don't think I've ever seen anyone come here and talk about how great this company has been in helping them sell more there, nor have I seen anything on any other writer's forum. And we'd normally be interested in getting better sales on other platforms.
The site seems hinky to me, and I'm not sure about the part where they pay you $500. You get no details about rights, royalties, only a 60 day guarantee to let you out of the contract, free. What happens if you want out after that?
I'd say ignore, even block them from contacting you again...

Thank you. Excellent analysis.
Also - good advice. I believe I'll take it.