Turkey Trouble on Amazon
KB Featured Book
My Claw is Quick
by R. S. Pyne

$1.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-08-29
Bestseller ranking: 3229473

Product Description
A hard-boiled detective story with a difference - Grimalkin is not your usual PI. Four legs, whiskers and a tail, perfect night vision and a talent for breaking and entering .... and a track record of crazy dames trying to kill him. He is also the only cat in history with a clown phobia. The case takes an even weirder twist when it becomes clear that a power-crazed parrot is calling all the shots. Sam Spade never had to deal with hysterical gerbil witnesses, pirate assassins or death by custard.

At 10,250 words in length, this is the first in a series of short stories featuring a very unconventional Private Investigator....

Author Topic: The "My Book Wasn't Accepted for Kindle Scout, Now What?" Thread  (Read 94758 times)  

Offline EB

• used to care
    • View Profile
Re: The "My Book Wasn't Accepted for Kindle Scout, Now What?" Thread
« Reply #125 on: November 04, 2016, 07:07:07 AM »
Stop calling yourself an unknown author. Every author is unknown until they're not. You absolutely must believe in yourself if you want anyone else to believe in you too. Live by the adage, "Fake it to you make it."

Truth!^^ 100x yes.

Click the pic above to donate to my Plunge for Special Olympics NJ, or
Donate via RR Books & get a free promo + inclusion in the
January 1 Special Olympics Heroes Promotion

See details HERE (scroll down for the the RR Books Charity Listing for deets).

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #126 on: November 04, 2016, 07:32:33 AM »
The secret, and I know it's difficult to implement, is to not care if you're selected. If Kindle Press passes on Retaliation, the moment I get that notification, the ARCs go out, the foreign language translation begins, the audiobook gets recorded, and I move on to my Murder Mystery, Score of Silence.

As an aside, I'm getting pretty darn close to my 300th rejection, and when I do, I'm going to compile them into a 300-page book and sell it on Amazon.
That great advice! I did go through a few minutes of angst when I first got my rejection, but then I just figured I was no worse off than if I hadn't entered in the first place and moved on.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #127 on: November 04, 2016, 07:53:41 AM »
I did go through a few minutes of angst when I first got my rejection, but then I just figured I was no worse off than if I hadn't entered in the first place and moved on.
But at least you're able to draw strength and inspiration from your handlebar mustache! My chin hasn't been bare since I was in the NAVY.

Offline RWhite7699

• Hershey, PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 04, 2016, 09:03:08 AM »
Looks like it's available through Kindle Unlimited, so I've downloaded it. I'll give it a read and leave a review on Amazon!

Thanks so much!

Ruth White | facebook | Author Central

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 04, 2016, 10:58:17 AM »
I know some of you will have already seen this on the regular Kindle Scout Thread, but for those of you who haven't, Different Lee is now available for the introductory price of $0.99. If you are interested, you can check it out here: http://viewbook.at/differentlee

(That's a booklinker link, which we were talking about a little earlier in the thread. It should take you to whichever Amazon store is correct for your location.)

Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #130 on: November 04, 2016, 12:22:52 PM »
I know some of you will have already seen this on the regular Kindle Scout Thread, but for those of you who haven't, Different Lee is now available for the introductory price of $0.99. If you are interested, you can check it out here: http://viewbook.at/differentlee

(That's a booklinker link, which we were talking about a little earlier in the thread. It should take you to whichever Amazon store is correct for your location.)

It's great to get it published quickly while it's still fresh in the minds of those who nominated you. I got my copy. Best of luck!

Kay L Ling | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline JennyOBrien

• Guernsey
    • View Profile
    • Jenny O'Brien's Book Blog
« Reply #131 on: November 04, 2016, 12:58:45 PM »
Just thought I'd say hi, I'll be here soon enough. Nice to see some familiar names
Jenny O'Brien | Blog | Facebook | Facebook page | Twitter | Website

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #132 on: November 04, 2016, 01:08:51 PM »
Just thought I'd say hi, I'll be here soon enough. Nice to see some familiar names

Welcome! The cool kids are all over here!

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 04, 2016, 02:24:23 PM »
It's great to get it published quickly while it's still fresh in the minds of those who nominated you. I got my copy. Best of luck!
Thanks! Much appreciated.

Some KU subscriber seems to have read the whole thing already. (KU readers tend to be fast.)

Offline RWhite7699

• Hershey, PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 04, 2016, 02:30:22 PM »

Not that we don't want you over here, Jenny, but don't jump the gun. You could very well have a winner.

Ruth White | facebook | Author Central

Offline LoriDRV

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 04, 2016, 03:21:57 PM »
For people thinking about making their own covers-- if you think you will be making multiple covers throughout your career, you might want to download GIMP which is basically just free Photoshop. It's not worth learning if you're only going to make one cover in your life, but if you foresee making several, it's worth learning. (I made all of my covers, below, the better ones I made on GIMP.) There are a bajillion tutorials on how to do stuff in GIMP, and, it has it's own chatroom ("Gimpchat") where newbies are helped very quickly.

https://www.gimp.org/

Hi Lorain - I've never done CreateSpace before and plan to soon. Is this program, GIMP, compatible with CS? Thanks for this tip.

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #136 on: November 04, 2016, 04:34:18 PM »
I know, right?

Mark, I have a question you may be able to answer. My paperback cover would look much better a little lighter. My sister doesn't have Photoshop, but she has some kind of a program where she lightened the PDF cover art file by 25% and it looked good. Unfortunately the changes refuse to save and the image keeps reverting to the original, dark setting. Is the problem anything to do with not using the original source file? Can a PDF file be lightened? I refuse to ask the graphic artist who applied the lettering to fix this. She's really unreliable and I never want to deal with her again! I want to take care of this immediately and reupload the cover it so I can order a few paperbacks to sell locally. 

Offline Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #137 on: November 04, 2016, 07:57:22 PM »
Mark, I have a question you may be able to answer. My paperback cover would look much better a little lighter. My sister doesn't have Photoshop, but she has some kind of a program where she lightened the PDF cover art file by 25% and it looked good. Unfortunately the changes refuse to save and the image keeps reverting to the original, dark setting. Is the problem anything to do with not using the original source file? Can a PDF file be lightened? I refuse to ask the graphic artist who applied the lettering to fix this. She's really unreliable and I never want to deal with her again! I want to take care of this immediately and reupload the cover it so I can order a few paperbacks to sell locally. 
PDFs really are just containers. Think of it like a metal bucket with the letters "PDF" printed on the side. Inside that bucket is what counts, i.e. text, images, etc. If the contents of the bucket are stored correctly, then you can reach in and "pull" out that cover art. Then apply the lightening, and put it back in the PDF bucket, and resave.

The issue that many authors have, is that they're used to doing stuff in an RGB world. Most digital art and photo manipulation is done in the 3-color RGB mode. Printing, however, is a 4-color process with the CMYK color scheme. Because the "K," or black channel is stored separately from the color data in CMYK, the "black" data has to be extracted from each of the three color channels from RGB. This usually results in the images being darker, and the colors often appear washed out.

Let me take a look at you pdf or any files your graphic designer sent you. If they're too big to email, upload them to your wordpress or Dropbox, and email the link to markgardnerauthor@gmail.com

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 05, 2016, 05:08:17 AM »
PDFs really are just containers. Think of it like a metal bucket with the letters "PDF" printed on the side. Inside that bucket is what counts, i.e. text, images, etc. If the contents of the bucket are stored correctly, then you can reach in and "pull" out that cover art. Then apply the lightening, and put it back in the PDF bucket, and resave.

The issue that many authors have, is that they're used to doing stuff in an RGB world. Most digital art and photo manipulation is done in the 3-color RGB mode. Printing, however, is a 4-color process with the CMYK color scheme. Because the "K," or black channel is stored separately from the color data in CMYK, the "black" data has to be extracted from each of the three color channels from RGB. This usually results in the images being darker, and the colors often appear washed out.

Let me take a look at you pdf or any files your graphic designer sent you. If they're too big to email, upload them to your wordpress or Dropbox, and email the link to markgardnerauthor@gmail.com
We're very lucky to have someone with your level of technical expertise in this thread!

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 05, 2016, 05:36:37 AM »
Since part of our mission is to help each other launch our books post KS, let me report on how Different Lee did on its first day (and the early hours of the morning today).

After less than 24 hours, it's sitting at 10,804 in the paid store and is at #36 in its best subgenre. I'm not even sure that reflects all the sales and yet. They're all on my dashboard, or I wouldn't know about them, but some of them haven't made it to the month-to-date unit sales page, and usually they don't seem to affect rank until they get to that page, though I can't be sure.

Unfortunately, I'm not one of these hyper-organized people who has promos going the very first day a book launches. I couldn't be with KS anyway, because I wouldn't have known when I was going to launch, and I didn't want to wait until later just to book promos in advance. I did spend most of yesterday booking promos--the thread I posted the link to was very helpful--but I had nothing running yesterday. I'm not even posting about it on social media until today.

Part of that momentum is undoubtedly due to you folks, so thanks again. However, the number of sales and borrows suggests that I must have gotten some response from my nominators. Early sales had been good (that partly was realistically probably all you guys, since nobody else knew about the book yet), but I saw a noticeable escalation in the afternoon, after Amazon put out the email to the nominators (about 3 pm my time). KU action also spiked, and when I checked this morning, the bulk of it was from Different Lee.

In the interest of full disclosure, I may be looking for reasons to think all the effort I put into the KS campaign was worth it, so I have a built-in bias. That said, the numbers do suggest that the effort is making at least a little difference in the strength of the launch. None of my earlier books got off to as big a start as this one (or even close).

In the interest of science, I probably should have let it sit a couple of days without doing anything else, but having a sense of how early it is to hit the ground running with a new book, I didn't. The AMS ad will kick in any time, I'll be tweeting and posting, and my first outside promotion (Sweet Free Books, which also advertises discounts and will take new releases) is today, so it will be hard to tell after this point how many sales are coming from what.

If anything else noteworthy happens, I'll be sure to report out. (While I've been typing, the book dropped a thousand in rank, and the remaining sales still haven't gotten to the monthly page yet. Amazon is being laggy is always. It didn't register any change in author rank yesterday, but today I'm up about 25,000 slots.)   

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #140 on: November 05, 2016, 05:49:41 AM »

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I just sent it. Let me know if it came through. It is a large file, just over 4MB. As Bill says, it's wonderful to have someone like you here who has expertise in this area!

Offline Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #141 on: November 05, 2016, 06:06:23 AM »
We're very lucky to have someone with your level of technical expertise in this thread!
THANK YOU SO MUCH! I just sent it. Let me know if it came through. It is a large file, just over 4MB. As Bill says, it's wonderful to have someone like you here who has expertise in this area!
Thanks, Bill.

Kay, I've sent your PDF back, and it reminded me of another tip for all of you who hire out your covers:
When your cover artist creates your PDF, make sure they save it to the PDF-Xa:2001 format and as a CMYK image. Also, make sure they send you a 6.25x9.25 300dpi image with and without the typography. Finally, make sure that they save your PDF with ZIP compression instead of JPG compression. JPG PDFs result in smaller PDF file sizes, but introduce jpeg artifacts. In your example, Kay, your RGB JPG-compressed PDF was 4MB, but the CMYK ZIP-compressed PDF is 16MB.

Kay, what cover file are you using for your digital book?

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #142 on: November 05, 2016, 09:29:52 AM »
Thanks, Bill.

Kay, I've sent your PDF back, and it reminded me of another tip for all of you who hire out your covers:
When your cover artist creates your PDF, make sure they save it to the PDF-Xa:2001 format and as a CMYK image. Also, make sure they send you a 6.25x9.25 300dpi image with and without the typography. Finally, make sure that they save your PDF with ZIP compression instead of JPG compression. JPG PDFs result in smaller PDF file sizes, but introduce jpeg artifacts. In your example, Kay, your RGB JPG-compressed PDF was 4MB, but the CMYK ZIP-compressed PDF is 16MB.

Kay, what cover file are you using for your digital book?

Wow. I think we're all learning a lot from your information. Too bad the "professionals" don't know some of the information you're recommending. Artifacts sound cool if you're collecting antiques, but not when you're making book covers, LOL.

The cover for the eBook is a jpg. Going by memory, I think it's 300 dpi or whatever is standard.

Offline Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #143 on: November 05, 2016, 10:21:26 AM »
Wow. I think we're all learning a lot from your information. Too bad the "professionals" don't know some of the information you're recommending. Artifacts sound cool if you're collecting antiques, but not when you're making book covers, LOL.

The cover for the eBook is a jpg. Going by memory, I think it's 300 dpi or whatever is standard.
Go ahead and email me your ebook cover file.

Offline Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #144 on: November 05, 2016, 11:53:57 AM »

Try this on for size:

click on it to embiggen.

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #145 on: November 05, 2016, 11:57:42 AM »
Try this on for size:

click on it to embiggen.

That looks beauteous. Actually I purposely made the writing on the smallish side to not detract from the artwork, but that really does look nice.

Embiggen. Lol. Love it.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 12:00:23 PM by Kay7979 »

Offline Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #146 on: November 05, 2016, 12:05:59 PM »
That looks beauteous. Actually I purposely made the writing on the smallish side to not detract from the artwork, but that really does look nice.
I think it looks good in thumbnail, too...

Edit: What's your CS page count?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 12:08:25 PM by Mark Gardner »

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #147 on: November 05, 2016, 12:14:53 PM »
I think it looks good in thumbnail, too...

Edit: What's your CS page count?

CS page count is 414
The lettering is beautiful but it does sort of steal the show from the artwork. Maybe a little smaller and it wouldn't dominate the art.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 12:17:36 PM by Kay7979 »

Offline Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #148 on: November 05, 2016, 12:21:17 PM »
CS page count is 414
The lettering is beautiful but it does sort of steal the show from the artwork. Maybe a little smaller and it wouldn't dominate the art.

414 in 6x9? what's your word count?

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #149 on: November 05, 2016, 12:25:29 PM »
414 in 6x9? what's your word count?

Around 114,000 words.