Author Topic: The "My Book Wasn't Accepted for Kindle Scout, Now What?" Thread  (Read 71496 times)  

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
Re: The "My Book Wasn't Accepted for Kindle Scout, Now What?" Thread
« Reply #150 on: November 05, 2016, 12:37:59 PM »
Around 114,000 words.
I ask, because my Space disaster is 91,000 words, and it's only 390-page 5x8. I would expect something like that to be in the 350-page range.

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #151 on: November 05, 2016, 12:54:59 PM »
CS page count is 414
The lettering is beautiful but it does sort of steal the show from the artwork. Maybe a little smaller and it wouldn't dominate the art.
I did this based on the CS 6x9 350-page template:

I'd center the barcode instead of right aligning it.

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #152 on: November 05, 2016, 01:06:01 PM »
I did this based on the CS 6x9 350-page template:

I'd center the barcode instead of right aligning it.

Amazing job! I can't believe you went to all this trouble for me! You were able to make a useable CS cover from the JPG of the eBook?

Kay L Ling | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #153 on: November 05, 2016, 01:14:21 PM »
Amazing job! I can't believe you went to all this trouble for me! You were able to make a useable CS cover from the JPG of the eBook?
Well, I cleaned up a few errors that I perceived, and expanded it from 5x8 to 6x9. Do you still have your original manuscript in word format?

« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 01:19:13 PM by Mark Gardner »

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #154 on: November 05, 2016, 01:22:22 PM »
Well, I cleaned up a few errors that I perceived, and expanded it from 5x8 to 6x9. Do you still have your original manuscript in word format?

Yes I have the original in Word, and the professionally formatted PDF. Fortunately there was nothing wrong with the interior of the book. It was just a matter of the cover being dark.

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #155 on: November 05, 2016, 01:30:27 PM »
Yes I have the original in Word, and the professionally formatted PDF. Fortunately there was nothing wrong with the interior of the book. It was just a matter of the cover being dark.
go ahead and send me your interior pdf and word file. I'd like to see it it can be tweaked to get you a lower page count.

Offline RWhite7699

• Hershey, PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 05, 2016, 02:16:35 PM »
That looks beauteous. Actually I purposely made the writing on the smallish side to not detract from the artwork, but that really does look nice.

Embiggen. Lol. Love it.

To tell you the truth, Kay, this is the first time I could actually see the details in your cover. Of course my eyes are not that great, but maybe you could enlarge the center of the cover, if that is possible. Is that possible? 

Ruth White | facebook | Author Central

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #157 on: November 05, 2016, 02:37:59 PM »
To tell you the truth, Kay, this is the first time I could actually see the details in your cover. Of course my eyes are not that great, but maybe you could enlarge the center of the cover, if that is possible. Is that possible?

No I don't want to make any more changes. I've also decided to leave the pages at 414 with my cream colored paper. I don't want to mess with success. I like the way the interior looked.

Offline RWhite7699

• Hershey, PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 05, 2016, 04:26:17 PM »
No I don't want to make any more changes. I've also decided to leave the pages at 414 with my cream colored paper. I don't want to mess with success. I like the way the interior looked.

I understand that. Good luck!

Ruth White | facebook | Author Central

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #159 on: November 05, 2016, 05:19:51 PM »
You were able to make a useable CS cover from the JPG of the eBook?
I followed you on Twitter, and noticed that your banner had elements covered up, so I whipped up this for you:

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #160 on: November 05, 2016, 06:12:31 PM »
I followed you on Twitter, and noticed that your banner had elements covered up, so I whipped up this for you:

Thanks. You're amazing!

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #161 on: November 05, 2016, 07:47:46 PM »

I am supposed to save the image from here? Or were you sending it to me?

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #162 on: November 05, 2016, 09:39:52 PM »
I am supposed to save the image from here? Or were you sending it to me?
the linked file is full resolution. If you have any trouble, I can email it to you.

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #163 on: November 06, 2016, 02:48:42 AM »
I understand that. Good luck!

Ruth, I remembered to download Lily of the Valley today. The plot sounds great! Maybe I'm the first to download today. I'm getting a nice collection of your work! Thanks.

I've started a Kindle Scout collection in my library since I have a growing number of books from Kindle Scout participants. I got Bill's the other day and a couple of Mark's last night. I finished Underneath by M.N. Arzu last night. Her campaign ended shortly after mine started. I've never read a book about Merfolk. It was really exciting.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 02:57:22 AM by Kay7979 »

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #164 on: November 06, 2016, 06:17:05 AM »
Ruth, I remembered to download Lily of the Valley today. The plot sounds great! Maybe I'm the first to download today. I'm getting a nice collection of your work! Thanks.

I've started a Kindle Scout collection in my library since I have a growing number of books from Kindle Scout participants. I got Bill's the other day and a couple of Mark's last night. I finished Underneath by M.N. Arzu last night. Her campaign ended shortly after mine started. I've never read a book about Merfolk. It was really exciting.
My biggest problem now is that my TBR list is growing exponentially. I used to have the standard English teacher fantasy of reading all day long when I retired, but of course as a writer I'm much too busy. Sigh!

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 06, 2016, 06:29:36 AM »
Day 2 of the new release went well, at least by my standards--some of you could easily be bigger sellers. The first two days I moved thirty copies (25 US, 3 UK, 1 France, and 1 Mexico--my first sale there). My KU reads suggest I also got about four full reads of Different Lee in the US, with a fifth person in Canada starting.

To put that in perspective, my first book got 27 sales and KOLL borrows--in the whole first month. True, I knew nothing about promoting, and most of those sales came from people who knew me. (I hadn't advertised even to them, but someone saw the book on Amazon by chance and blasted the news to pretty much everyone I knew.) Subsequent books probably got that many sales over about a two-week period.

The AMS ad hasn't done much yet, and the social media posts are getting responses but not much clickthrough so far. I had one small promo yesterday--Sweet Free Books. Otherwise, the sales and borrows are probably still all coming from you folks and my nominators.

Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #166 on: November 06, 2016, 06:35:55 AM »
Day 2 of the new release went well, at least by my standards--some of you could easily be bigger sellers. The first two days I moved thirty copies (25 US, 3 UK, 1 France, and 1 Mexico--my first sale there). My KU reads suggest I also got about four full reads of Different Lee in the US, with a fifth person in Canada starting.

To put that in perspective, my first book got 27 sales and KOLL borrows--in the whole first month. True, I knew nothing about promoting, and most of those sales came from people who knew me. (I hadn't advertised even to them, but someone saw the book on Amazon by chance and blasted the news to pretty much everyone I knew.) Subsequent books probably got that many sales over about a two-week period.

The AMS ad hasn't done much yet, and the social media posts are getting responses but not much clickthrough so far. I had one small promo yesterday--Sweet Free Books. Otherwise, the sales and borrows are probably still all coming from you folks and my nominators.
That's exciting news, Bill! I hope the trend continues for many months to come!

Online KitSarge

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 06, 2016, 06:39:08 AM »
That's a really great ranking, Bill. It looks like it's still doing well today!  ;D

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #168 on: November 06, 2016, 06:50:20 AM »
I autographed a book for the first time today. A fellow showed up at church with a paperback copy. Since I'm uploading my improved cover today it will be one of three with the original cover. I'm sending one to the editor at the Buffalo Evening News on Monday. I don't know when he'll get around to reading it, and I hope he doesn't throw it away after finishing it.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 06, 2016, 06:56:42 AM »
That's a really great ranking, Bill. It looks like it's still doing well today!  ;D
Yes, it's hanging in, though Sundays are usually slow days for me, so I expect it to decline during the day. I have two promos starting for Monday, Read Cheaply and Price Dropped Books, so that may help the momentum. I haven't tried so many promo sites on a new release before--if I get approved on all of them, I'll have nineteen. I'm following the idea that promoting during the first 30 days can be more valuable than the same amount of promotion later. Unfortunately, some of the sites I wanted were booked until January (Book Gorilla), required more than fifty reviews on a prior book to feature an new release, and I had only fifty (Book Barbarian), or had other problems. I also have two that fall outside the first thirty days, but I figured it was better to go with them than now.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 06, 2016, 07:03:34 AM »
I autographed a book for the first time today. A fellow showed up at church with a paperback copy. Since I'm uploading my improved cover today it will be one of three with the original cover. I'm sending one to the editor at the Buffalo Evening News on Monday. I don't know when he'll get around to reading it, and I hope he doesn't throw it away after finishing it.
I've gotten a few autograph requests. The first one from someone I didn't know was an Irish teenager, and shipping made it difficult to do that with a book. He settled for a digitally autographed jpg of me. (For some reason he really wanted a picture of me anyway, so that worked.) Then the request morphed into additional ones for two of his friends. They all still follow me on FB and Twitter. Interestingly, they all pushed for merchandise too. Unfortunately, I could have made a t-shirt with a book on it relatively cheaply, but shipping to Ireland would still have been too expensive to make it worth it. Sigh!

My reluctance to promote to people I know personally means I actually have more fans in Croatia than I do in my home town.

Offline Carey Lewis

• View Profile
    • Carey Lewis Author Site
« Reply #171 on: November 06, 2016, 07:09:18 AM »
Buffalo, no way! I'm originally from just across the border in Canada, a small city beside Niagara Falls!

Carey Lewis | Website | Twitter | Facebook

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #172 on: November 06, 2016, 07:17:51 AM »
Buffalo, no way! I'm originally from just across the border in Canada, a small city beside Niagara Falls!

Cool. I've probably been by your town, then. I live between Buffalo and Rochester and have been through much of Ontario.

Bill, I love it that you have rabid international fans!

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 06, 2016, 08:30:28 AM »
Cool. I've probably been by your town, then. I live between Buffalo and Rochester and have been through much of Ontario.

Bill, I love it that you have rabid international fans!
Yes, a handful!

Offline Michele Brouder

• Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 06, 2016, 09:56:01 AM »
I'm from Buffalo too! Hamburg, just south of Bflo. (Well, originally) Ha, small world.
Sorry I haven't been around in the last few days. Busy with NaNoWriMo and my official launch on Friday. As soon as I get a chance, I'll catch up on the thread. Hope ye are all well!

Michele Brouder | website | Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter