Author Topic: The "My Book Wasn't Accepted for Kindle Scout, Now What?" Thread  (Read 91301 times)  

Offline Marie Clapsaddle

• New Hampshire
    • View Profile
Re: The "My Book Wasn't Accepted for Kindle Scout, Now What?" Thread
« Reply #175 on: November 06, 2016, 12:15:27 PM »
the linked file is full resolution. If you have any trouble, I can email it to you.

First, I wanted to add my personal thanks for all your help with Kay's print book cover problem. That was incredibly kind of you!

I need a technical answer about how we plan to use the eBook cover on the internet, and I'm posting here because it's likely the information may be useful to others.

I'm concerned that the eBook cover is quite large and hi-res. That's perfect for its intended use as a Kindle cover, but it I upload it "as is" on a website or with a post on Facebook or Twitter, what's to stop anyone from downloading the .jpg and making their own poster or whatever from it. (I ask because Kay was talking about maybe having one or more posters made up and using them as prizes for a drawing.)

I'm thinking about shrinking a copy of it down so that it's about the size of a postcard when viewed at 100%. (I wouldn't touch any of the other settings.) That should be plenty big enough to post anywhere on the internet and I can always shrink it even smaller when creating Canva promos, etc. This way, anybody can download it if they want a postcard size copy, but if they try to enlarge it more than a tiny bit, it will get progressively more blurry.

What do you think? Am I crazy to be concerned about this? Does my idea sound OK? Are there any cautions I should keep in mind?

Marie Clapsaddle | Website | Blog | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest

Offline Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #176 on: November 06, 2016, 12:38:08 PM »
First, I wanted to add my personal thanks for all your help with Kay's print book cover problem. That was incredibly kind of you!

I need a technical answer about how we plan to use the eBook cover on the internet, and I'm posting here because it's likely the information may be useful to others.

I'm concerned that the eBook cover is quite large and hi-res. That's perfect for its intended use as a Kindle cover, but it I upload it "as is" on a website or with a post on Facebook or Twitter, what's to stop anyone from downloading the .jpg and making their own poster or whatever from it. (I ask because Kay was talking about maybe having one or more posters made up and using them as prizes for a drawing.)

I'm thinking about shrinking a copy of it down so that it's about the size of a postcard when viewed at 100%. (I wouldn't touch any of the other settings.) That should be plenty big enough to post anywhere on the internet and I can always shrink it even smaller when creating Canva promos, etc. This way, anybody can download it if they want a postcard size copy, but if they try to enlarge it more than a tiny bit, it will get progressively more blurry.

What do you think? Am I crazy to be concerned about this? Does my idea sound OK? Are there any cautions I should keep in mind?
I'm assuming that your kindle cover is greater than 1800x2700 (6x9 @ 300dpi.) Personally, I'm against shrinking any smaller than that, and here's why: Google will catalog each instance of your cover. If someone stumbles across your cover, you want it to be the best version it can be. As for someone "stealing" your cover, I wouldn't worry too much about that. It's the same counter-intuitive argument against worrying if your book has been pirated: Those people were likely never going to purchase your stuff anyway. Besides, if you're fortunate enough to have a fan that wants to make a poster, or otherwise make art out of your cover, then I say that you're lucky to have such dedicated fans. Personally, I always share fan art and derivatives on my blog, and when they're really cool, or touching, I'll include them in the next novel, etc. I'm of the opinion that the more you interact with your fans, the more they invest in you as an artist, and the more zeal they display when talking about your work. And what better way to interact than to encourage them to be creative with your art? If you're concerned that someone will download your content or cover and attempt to pass them off as their own, I wouldn't worry, those people are eventually found out, and the Internet can be very unforgiving in that situation. Plus, as the copyright holder, you do have rights to combat theft.

Offline Marie Clapsaddle

• New Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 06, 2016, 12:55:49 PM »
I'm assuming that your kindle cover is greater than 1800x2700 (6x9 @ 300dpi.) Personally, I'm against shrinking any smaller than that, and here's why: Google will catalog each instance of your cover. If someone stumbles across your cover, you want it to be the best version it can be. As for someone "stealing" your cover, I wouldn't worry too much about that. It's the same counter-intuitive argument against worrying if your book has been pirated: Those people were likely never going to purchase your stuff anyway. Besides, if you're fortunate enough to have a fan that wants to make a poster, or otherwise make art out of your cover, then I say that you're lucky to have such dedicated fans. Personally, I always share fan art and derivatives on my blog, and when they're really cool, or touching, I'll include them in the next novel, etc. I'm of the opinion that the more you interact with your fans, the more they invest in you as an artist, and the more zeal they display when talking about your work. And what better way to interact than to encourage them to be creative with your art? If you're concerned that someone will download your content or cover and attempt to pass them off as their own, I wouldn't worry, those people are eventually found out, and the Internet can be very unforgiving in that situation. Plus, as the copyright holder, you do have rights to combat theft.

Thanks, Mark. That makes a lot of sense.

Marie Clapsaddle | Website | Blog | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #178 on: November 07, 2016, 05:13:11 AM »
Is anyone else made crazy by going through the file for the print edition to make sure hyphenation is correct? Perhaps there is a better way.

I use Scrivener for composing, but for final print preparation I export to Word, Once all the other settings are correct, I go through the document using Word's manual hyphenation routine, checking each suggestion against CMOS guidelines and common sense. Word has a few things built in, like a way to avoid hyphen stacks, and it always splits between syllables, as it should, but it doesn't obey other CMOS standards, like not leaving a single letter at the end of a line or two letters at the beginning. After fixing the hyphenation, I go back through the manuscript again to check for appearance, because Word makes it hard to see the context during manual hyphenation. I end up with a satisfactory result, but it takes about a full working day to do it. Anyone have a better method?

Also, what's the consensus on worrying about widows and orphans? I used to use widow and orphan control in Word, but I didn't like the resulting uneven look at the bottom of the page. It looks better to me for the pages to have a uniform bottom margin, the only exception being if the last page of the chapter ends up with only a single line of text, which luckily doesn't seem to be happening anywhere in the current manuscript.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 07, 2016, 07:10:30 AM »
I turn widow and orphan protection off for print. I also turn off hyphenation. I print in trade paperback, 6x9, so I format the manuscript to those margins before I upload to CS.

BR Kingsolver | Author website

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 07, 2016, 09:34:41 AM »
I turn widow and orphan protection off for print. I also turn off hyphenation. I print in trade paperback, 6x9, so I format the manuscript to those margins before I upload to CS.
Just be clear, you don't hyphenate automatically, or you don't hyphenate at all?

Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #181 on: November 07, 2016, 09:48:15 AM »
I turn off hyphenation and turn on orphan control. I go through the MS and selectively turn off orphan control to tighten up specific chapters.

Offline editorjmv

• Minnesota
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 07, 2016, 02:24:15 PM »
I compose my paperback books with InDesign instead of Word, but I, too, turn off the hyphenation.

Joan Marie Verba | website

Offline Carey Lewis

• View Profile
    • Carey Lewis Author Site
« Reply #183 on: November 07, 2016, 11:02:21 PM »
I haven't done a paperback yet, but I've noticed Scrivener has that as an option. For what reason do people not use that?

Carey Lewis | Website | Twitter | Facebook

Offline Michele Brouder

• Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 08, 2016, 04:25:58 AM »
So yesterday, I received my paperback copy of A Whyte Christmas and of course I was thrilled because the Kindle version goes live on Friday. However, I noticed the typeset was off: the right pages are 1 line higher than the left pages. I've already contacted CS and I hope it is their mistake. After you review your proof and hit the publish button, how long before it goes live in the Amazon store?

Michele Brouder | website | Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter

Offline PatriciaThomson

• Orlando, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 08, 2016, 04:43:25 AM »
Thanks for the thread, Kay!  I, too, am a proud Scout reject, with the added bonus of Scout dragging out the process until I thought I would lose my mind.  I blogged about it should you wish to read my opinion.   :D

I published Merely Players on October twentieth.  Since I'm planning to release the second book, Another's Audience in early December, I want to line up a promotion push later this month.  I'm just happy that I've sold books to people I don't know, heh heh.  This is just the beginning and to be honest I'm proud of myself that I've gotten this far, considering how uncomfortable I was in the past letting people read my writing.  I'm even prouder that I momentarily overcame my revulsion of being photographed and now have a decent headshot!

How many people say that they're going to write a book and don't do it?  Everybody here's done it.  That's pretty awesome in itself, right?   

Patricia Thomson | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #186 on: November 08, 2016, 04:57:18 AM »
So yesterday, I received my paperback copy of A Whyte Christmas and of course I was thrilled because the Kindle version goes live on Friday. However, I noticed the typeset was off: the right pages are 1 line higher than the left pages. I've already contacted CS and I hope it is their mistake. After you review your proof and hit the publish button, how long before it goes live in the Amazon store?

Check with customer service. I can't remember what they quoted officially but everything seems to happen ahead of schedule, which is generally a good thing. I'm sure you can have them make the book "unavailable" until you get this sorted out. I believe you can select "unpublish" online, but I would check with customer service first to see what they advise.

Kay L Ling | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #187 on: November 08, 2016, 05:01:25 AM »
Thanks for the thread, Kay!  I, too, am a proud Scout reject, with the added bonus of Scout dragging out the process until I thought I would lose my mind.  I blogged about it should you wish to read my opinion.   :D

I published Merely Players on October twentieth.  Since I'm planning to release the second book, Another's Audience in early December, I want to line up a promotion push later this month.  I'm just happy that I've sold books to people I don't know, heh heh.  This is just the beginning and to be honest I'm proud of myself that I've gotten this far, considering how uncomfortable I was in the past letting people read my writing.  I'm even prouder that I momentarily overcame my revulsion of being photographed and now have a decent headshot!

How many people say that they're going to write a book and don't do it?  Everybody here's done it.  That's pretty awesome in itself, right?   

Welcome. Good to see you! I was thinking about you the other day. You and I share the  dubious distinction of waiting 12 or 13 days to be told NO! Make yourself at home and share your experiences. We're all here to help one another. Let us know what promotions you're using and how they go. That would be really helpful, and good luck with your second book! I need to get to work editing my books 2 and 3, but right now I'm too busy dealing with my book launch, and I have surgery on the 17th. Ugh.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 08, 2016, 05:55:36 AM »
I haven't done a paperback yet, but I've noticed Scrivener has that as an option. For what reason do people not use that?
For me it was as simple as Scrivener not supporting my trim size (6 x 9) at the time I looked. (They may now.)

That said, there is some print edition tweaking that's easier to do in Word or in another word processor. I've not tried, but I think it might it's a little complicated to get Scrivener to not count the pages in the front matter, so that the first page of text comes out as 1. That's easier in Word. Word also has a better grammar checker, so I actually look at the file in Word before doing my ebook export. Word also catches a few things like extra spaces. (In Scrivener it is sometimes possible to miss the extra space if it happens at the end of a line in the display.)

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 08, 2016, 06:11:41 AM »
To those of you who responded to my question about hyphenation, thanks!

Since I'd already spent a day manually hyphenating the manuscript, I was inclined to take your advice--for the next book. However, I discovered what may be an interesting bug in the latest version of Word.

Word has sometimes been problematic in the past when converting to PDF because the pagination sometimes changes, and that's the problem I was having. Before I always found a way to correct the issue. The difference this time was whatever I did before wasn't working. I tried all the online fixes and got the same wrong result each time. That created TOC issues, though I could just renumber the pages in the TOC and then replace the old TOC with the corrected one in the PDF file. The biggest problem was the beloved hyphens again, because there was no easy way to fix problems like words breaking across pages when the page breaks were different in Word than they were in the resulting PDF.

Since Acrobat had recently updated as well, I thought maybe it was buggy, but Nuance PDF produced the same result. So did submitted the Word file to CS and letting them do the conversion. I also tried loading the Word file into Open Office Writer and converting to PDF from there. (Maybe I should have tried to save as an Open Office file first.)

Finally I stripped out the hyphens to see what I would get. Luckily, all of you were right. The manuscript actually looks just as good without hyphenation. I had worried the space between words would vary a lot, but it doesn't seem to be much of a visual issue, and not hyphenating probably improves readability slightly.

Offline Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #190 on: November 08, 2016, 06:45:19 AM »
Hey, all. I'm still on track for a January 3rd release for my Kindle Scout reject, War of the Worlds: Retaliation. The ARC paperback should populate to Amazon today, and I'll start distributing the electronic ARC via Instafreebie. PM me if you're interested in an ARC. You should be able to leave a review on Amazon right away. I cross-posted this in two other threads.

Offline usedtocare

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 08, 2016, 07:34:12 AM »
Mark, congrats on the upcoming release. 8) Question for you: how are you doing the early reviews? I know I've tried it before but it's been so long I'm not sure how to swing it.

Offline Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #192 on: November 08, 2016, 07:43:35 AM »
Mark, congrats on the upcoming release. 8) Question for you: how are you doing the early reviews? I know I've tried it before but it's been so long I'm not sure how to swing it.
I published the ARC to Amazon via Createspace. Once it populated, I'll turn off the angel until the official launch on January 3rd. The listing will still be on Amazon, and available for reviews.

Offline lauramg_1406

• United Kingdom
  • Reader, Book Blogger & Author
    • View Profile
    • http://a-reader-lives-a-thousand-lives.blogspot.co.uk
« Reply #193 on: November 08, 2016, 10:18:33 AM »
Hi everyone! I'm coming to join you fresh from being rejected! I'm feeling alright about it right now, but that may all change in the next few hours!

I already started prepping for release, so I'm definitely going ahead. My only real worry is that basically I'm going to be releasing to nothing. I don't have a fan base or any way of really getting it out, so it kind of feels a bit pointless (there we go the rejection set in!)

Offline lincolnjcole

• Ohio
  • Storyteller
    • View Profile
    • Lincoln Cole
« Reply #194 on: November 08, 2016, 10:20:24 AM »
Hi everyone! I'm coming to join you fresh from being rejected! I'm feeling alright about it right now, but that may all change in the next few hours!

I already started prepping for release, so I'm definitely going ahead. My only real worry is that basically I'm going to be releasing to nothing. I don't have a fan base or any way of really getting it out, so it kind of feels a bit pointless (there we go the rejection set in!)

Getting rejected isn't a big deal! Keep in mind, the best way to sell this book is to write the next one, and you can always use KS again! I've been rejected twice and selected once, and I just keep plugging away and trying again!

Offline lauramg_1406

• United Kingdom
  • Reader, Book Blogger & Author
    • View Profile
    • http://a-reader-lives-a-thousand-lives.blogspot.co.uk
« Reply #195 on: November 08, 2016, 10:28:19 AM »
Getting rejected isn't a big deal! Keep in mind, the best way to sell this book is to write the next one, and you can always use KS again! I've been rejected twice and selected once, and I just keep plugging away and trying again!
Oh yeah I'm not put off trying again! I have other books on the go anyway!

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Offline Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #196 on: November 08, 2016, 10:54:22 AM »

I have had over 200 rejections since I started writing professionally in 2012. I've even had a "rejection" from Hydra/Random House after I got a contract on the same title from H/RH. I've almost got enough to publish a 300-page book of rejection letters. Keep on keeping on.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 10:59:49 AM by Mark Gardner »

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 08, 2016, 10:56:46 AM »

No one has a fan base in the beginning, and it takes time to build one. Even the people who now make a living at self publishing took at least a few books and a gradually growing momentum to get there.

I have definitely gotten some buys from nominees, and I'm sure you will as well. Also, I posted this thread earlier, but here it is again: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,236763.0.html It's a thread that discusses all kinds of promotional sites that will take new releases. Definitely worth exploring! What following I have I got mostly from earlier promotions.

Offline Carey Lewis

• View Profile
    • Carey Lewis Author Site
« Reply #198 on: November 08, 2016, 11:34:12 AM »

Sorry to hear that, but welcome to the cool kids table!  :P

I'm ashamed to admit that since I got my rejection, I've been going through the book, and I don't think it was ready for Scout. I hurried into it, excited, and it could have cost me. I didn't want to edit it while it was in the program, knowing I'd get the Kirkus edit anyway, so I didn't even look at it.  With a more objective eye, I'm fixing it quite a bit and will be releasing it soon.

TL;DR Rejection done me good for ma eye seeing!

Carey Lewis | Website | Twitter | Facebook

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #199 on: November 08, 2016, 12:19:23 PM »

Sorry to hear you got the "No," but glad you're here.

I'm in the same boat as you. I don't have a fan base or a mailing list. I'm starting from scratch. I got little or nothing from my 2100 KS page views. Most of the people who are buying my book are people who know me. But as Bill said, you have to start somewhere, and once you start promoting your book you'll gain momentum. I'm off to a slow start because I launched at full price ($3.99) and I'm not in any promo newsletters, but once the word-of-mouth promo begins, it will help.

Today one of my husband's customers stopped in. He told me he and his daughter liked my book! I didn't know they'd bought it. The girl is ten and she loved it, even through the MC is 22. The dad is in his thirties and he said he really enjoyed it, too. They already posted about my book on FB, and now they're contacting all their family in the Philippines! So, I guess it goes to show that one or two fans can really make an impact on spreading the word.