Author Topic: The "My Book Wasn't Accepted for Kindle Scout, Now What?" Thread  (Read 111960 times)  

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
Re: The "My Book Wasn't Accepted for Kindle Scout, Now What?" Thread
« Reply #1825 on: April 04, 2017, 07:57:39 AM »
I pushed the button on Kindle Scout at midnight last night...we'll see how long it takes them. Thanks for watching out for it!

I got the notification this morning.

Offline JPDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: April 04, 2017, 08:08:16 AM »
I just now added Getting Thin is Murder by Al Moe to my Kindle and I'll be reviewing it soon. My suspense thriller Mind Game will be available soon!
JP

JP David, author of mystery and suspense
JP David | Website

Online Joynell Schultz

• Wisconsin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Author Page
« Reply #1827 on: April 04, 2017, 08:10:32 AM »
I just now added Getting Thin is Murder by Al Moe to my Kindle and I'll be reviewing it soon. My suspense thriller Mind Game will be available soon!
JP

Sounds great! Let me know when your review is posted and I'll put Mind Game on the list.

Offline MWhateley

• Sheffield - United Kingdom
    • View Profile
    • My WordPress blog
I feel about as popular as the UK in the Eurovision song contest. Lol.

Take desert swarm off the list joy. I think it's got all it's going to get. Give some of the newer books a chance.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
I feel about as popular as the UK in the Eurovision song contest. Lol.

Take desert swarm off the list joy. I think it's got all it's going to get. Give some of the newer books a chance.

I wouldn't ask to be taken off the list. I hope we'll be getting a constant influx of new folks who want to support one another. Give it more time and I'm sure you'll get some reviews.

Offline MWhateley

• View Profile
    • My WordPress blog
I wouldn't ask to be taken off the list. I hope we'll be getting a constant influx of new folks who want to support one another. Give it more time and I'm sure you'll get some reviews.
It's been out a while now. So I don't need reviews for promotion purposes. That time has passed. I'm happy to leave it to get reviews the old fashioned way.

There are books that are still in their first sixty day phase that would benefit from reviews more. Plus I struggle with finding the time to give reviews, so it is cheeky expecting people to give me reviews.

Offline RWhite7699

• Hershey, PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: April 04, 2017, 06:18:46 PM »
Hey, Kay and all my thread buddies. I got back the copyright to six of my books, and I'm now in the process of self-publishing them. Please check out the first one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y1P8QCY/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1491354559&sr=8-9&keywords=Memories+of+Summer
It's an oldie but goody, and I don't expect much, but I'm proud of it. No vampires or zombies. Not even any sex. It's one of those books that wins awards and gets reviewed by big-time reviewers, but doesn't sell. Maybe it will do better self-published.

Ruth White | facebook | Author Central

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #1832 on: April 04, 2017, 07:24:54 PM »
Hey, Kay and all my thread buddies. I got back the copyright to six of my books, and I'm now in the process of self-publishing them. Please check out the first one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y1P8QCY/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1491354559&sr=8-9&keywords=Memories+of+Summer
It's an oldie but goody, and I don't expect much, but I'm proud of it. No vampires or zombies. Not even any sex. It's one of those books that wins awards and gets reviewed by big-time reviewers, but doesn't sell. Maybe it will do better self-published.

That's great news. I'm sure you can do better marketing the books yourself. I'm looking forward to reading more of your oldies but goodies!

Offline Kody Boye

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • KodyBoye.com
« Reply #1833 on: April 06, 2017, 10:57:54 AM »
I hit publish on my KS reject WHEN THEY CAME a few days ago. WHEN THEY CAME can be found at Amazon in my signature. I also have a free short story in that universe that I hope is enticing people to purchase the book. Running a Facebook ad now and am hoping that is going to help with the promotion.

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #1834 on: April 06, 2017, 11:06:02 AM »
I hit publish on my KS reject WHEN THEY CAME a few days ago. WHEN THEY CAME can be found at Amazon in my signature. I also have a free short story in that universe that I hope is enticing people to purchase the book. Running a Facebook ad now and am hoping that is going to help with the promotion.

Welcome and good luck. Let us know how your marketing efforts go--what works and what doesn't. I've run an AMS ad since November and have recently gone back to trying Facebook ads. I'm currently using the one they call "traffic" objective, with a link straight to my product page on Amazon.

Offline Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #1835 on: April 06, 2017, 01:02:33 PM »

Kody,

I hope your free short story does well!  Please let us know if the Facebook ad is successful, too.

I decided to give my book, "Moonlight, Roses & Murder" away for FREE, during the first five days of my campaign.  I'd do it longer, but I always publish KU and they have definite rules about that.  If you get a chance, please read it.  Still free through Saturday, then 99 cents for the month of April, along with my other books.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y1FTL51?ref_=ks_dp_pdm

Anyway, I have had over 400 books "purchased" for free, in the past two and a half days.  I'm pretty excited about that...and hoping to get some reviews.  My reason for trying Kindle Scout was to get more eyes on my books.  I have a great group on Facebook that has been very supportive, but it's always nice to get new followers. 

My book was #42 in the Paranormal Romance category of Kindle free books yesterday and #83 in Romance > Mystery & Suspense this afternoon.  I hope my strategy works, but at the very least...someone is reading my books!  :)

I found this article by Rosalind James on the "Tips, FAQs and Useful Threads for Authors page" and I thought it was really informative.  Best of luck with the campaigns!

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,182329.0.html 

Free. People love to beat up on the free-book idea. "You get what you pay for" and all that. Well, free books are the best way I've found to get visible. The difference between a (promoted) free book offer and a (promoted) 99-cent offer, for me, is ten to twenty times the number of downloads. I've had five-day "free offer" periods with up to 92,000 books given away. That's a LOT of eyeballs on your book, even if only 5% of them read the book right away. Here's a post I wrote about a recent free offer and how I promoted it: http://www.rosalindjames.com/kdp-select-promo-success-promoting-the-promo/

All I can say is, "free" is how I sold 2,000 books in my first month. I gave away 14,000 books a week into my "publishing career," and BAM, things took off from there. In my fifth month, January 2013, I did an offer and gave away the above-mentioned 92,000+ books. I sold 20,000 books for cash money that month. So, yeah, free worked for me, and it's still working. (I also use Countdown, and that's worked too, but "free" is still Top Dog in my book.)

« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 01:38:18 PM by Lorri Moulton »

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Books2Read

Offline RWhite7699

• Hershey, PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: April 07, 2017, 12:11:39 PM »
Hey, good folks. Please support my headtalker campaign here: https://headtalker.com/campaigns/memories-of-summer-2/   
Thank you!

Ruth White | facebook | Author Central

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #1837 on: April 07, 2017, 12:14:02 PM »
Hey, good folks. Please support my headtalker campaign here: https://headtalker.com/campaigns/memories-of-summer-2/   
Thank you!

With pleasure! Got you! Looking forward to reading the book. That's my era. 😀

Offline MN_Arzu

• View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: April 08, 2017, 07:41:11 PM »
Hey!

I ran a Genre Pulse Book Blast for $200 and only managed to sell 73 books. I had high hopes for that one, so it kind of sucked. Of course, I could be looking at a serious increase in KU's as the days pass, but so far, disappointing. Surprisingly, I ran an eReaderIQ promo, and that one sold 29. Since it was only $12, that was totally worth it!

Now is time to wrap up the sequel and send it to the new editor for her to work her magic. I've never launched a sequel before, so here's to learning more about the business of selling books :D

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #1839 on: April 09, 2017, 04:38:44 AM »
Hey!

I ran a Genre Pulse Book Blast for $200 and only managed to sell 73 books. I had high hopes for that one, so it kind of sucked. Of course, I could be looking at a serious increase in KU's as the days pass, but so far, disappointing. Surprisingly, I ran an eReaderIQ promo, and that one sold 29. Since it was only $12, that was totally worth it!

Now is time to wrap up the sequel and send it to the new editor for her to work her magic. I've never launched a sequel before, so here's to learning more about the business of selling books :D

Thanks for the update and good luck with your sequel. I'm in the same spot. My sequel is out in paperback and the eBook will be out in a couple weeks. I plan to discount Beyond the Forest for ten days and hope the action spills over onto Shadowglade.

Offline MWhateley

• View Profile
    • My WordPress blog
Thanks for the update and good luck with your sequel. I'm in the same spot. My sequel is out in paperback and the eBook will be out in a couple weeks. I plan to discount Beyond the Forest for ten days and hope the action spills over onto Shadowglade.
I'll be interested to see how your sequel goes. I'll be finishing mine soon.

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #1841 on: April 09, 2017, 03:35:39 PM »
Speaking of sequels, John and I came up with a rough synopsis to another War of the Worlds sequel. Since Severed Press has the worldwide English eBook and paperback rights, plus the contract for War of the Worlds: Retaliation gives them first right of refusal, I think I might kick John and my rough synopsis at them this week, and ask for an advance.

Offline MWhateley

• View Profile
    • My WordPress blog
Speaking of sequels, John and I came up with a rough synopsis to another War of the Worlds sequel. Since Severed Press has the worldwide English eBook and paperback rights, plus the contract for War of the Worlds: Retaliation gives them first right of refusal, I think I might kick John and my rough synopsis at them this week, and ask for an advance.
Excellent news Mark. I'd buy it. Loved the last one.

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #1843 on: April 15, 2017, 06:05:15 AM »
It's been quiet around here lately. I guess we're spending more time in our Facebook group, but I like this format too. It's easier to write long posts.

I'll be launching book 2 next week. The paperback is already up and I have five reviews, so I hope to have a few more by the time I'm ready to book promos. I'll be running promos for book 1 during Shadowglade's launch, hoping people will pick it up at $0.99 and then go on to book 2 at $3.99. We'll see. I'll post my results if anyone is interested.

Other things I'm trying to see if it's helpful: I just added the series name to book 1, and noted book 2's launch date at the end of my blurb. I also changed categories. I've never felt urban fantasy was a good fit. Epic is closer but still not a great match. So, I'm trying fantasy folklore/fairytales and for book two will use one category as contemporary fantasy. I've seen portal stories in so many different categories that it's tough to know where mine belongs.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #1844 on: April 15, 2017, 06:27:08 AM »
It's been quiet around here lately. I guess we're spending more time in our Facebook group, but I like this format too. It's easier to write long posts.
I have to pay more attention to FB then, I guess. I haven't been very active there during my current project, but I'm nearly done, so I'll start visiting the FB group pretty soon and see what's happening there.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #1845 on: April 15, 2017, 07:25:43 AM »
I have to pay more attention to FB then, I guess. I haven't been very active there during my current project, but I'm nearly done, so I'll start visiting the FB group pretty soon and see what's happening there.

Good. We look forward to seeing more of you in both locations! I like to keep this thread going since I hope we'll continue to get alumni from the other KS Kboard thread. The larger our support group the better.

Offline Alex Lidell

• View Profile
    • Alex Lidell's Website
« Reply #1846 on: April 15, 2017, 06:25:33 PM »
Hi fell ex-Scouters!  I just found out this forum existed from the wonderful Jada Ryker.  I was in Kindle Scout over the summer with TIDES.  Wasn't accepted, went into mourning, then got my act together and worked with editors to self publish.  Broke TIDES up into two books, the first of which releases on May 2 and the second on June 20th.  Also wrote a prequel novella.  I'm yet to contact Scout to let the know that TIDES is available... Will do it after May 2nd when its actually out.  So that's my story!  Looking forward to learning yours and catching up on everyone's journeys.  I wish i'd found you all sooner! -Alex
Alex Lidell
YA Fantasy Author
THE CADET OF TILDOR (Penguin, 2013)
FIRST COMMAND: TIDES Novella (Danger Bearing Press, 2017)
AIR AND ASH: TIDES BOOK 1 (Coming May 2, 2017)
WAR AND WIND: TIDES BOOK 2 (Coming June 20, 2017)

Join my newsletter:  http://www.subscribepage.com/TIDES

Offline Fatman Butter

• London
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: April 16, 2017, 03:19:21 AM »
I'm curious Alex, why didn't you do the editing before entering the novel into Scout?

Offline MelanieCellier

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: April 16, 2017, 04:32:57 AM »
Hi fell ex-Scouters!  I just found out this forum existed from the wonderful Jada Ryker.  I was in Kindle Scout over the summer with TIDES.  Wasn't accepted, went into mourning, then got my act together and worked with editors to self publish.  Broke TIDES up into two books, the first of which releases on May 2 and the second on June 20th.  Also wrote a prequel novella.  I'm yet to contact Scout to let the know that TIDES is available... Will do it after May 2nd when its actually out.  So that's my story!  Looking forward to learning yours and catching up on everyone's journeys.  I wish i'd found you all sooner! -Alex

I remember nominating your book on Scout :) Seems like such a long time ago! (Which means my own Kindle Scout book was a REALLY long time ago ;D)

I really like your new Air and Ash cover.

Melanie Cellier | Website | Facebook

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #1849 on: April 16, 2017, 06:18:20 AM »
Welcome new people!

Once a week Joynell provides an updated list of books that need reviews. If you read and review someone's book from that list you're eligible to have your book added to the list and someone will review yours.