Author Topic: The "My Book Wasn't Accepted for Kindle Scout, Now What?" Thread  (Read 111950 times)  

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Re: The "My Book Wasn't Accepted for Kindle Scout, Now What?" Thread
« Reply #1850 on: April 16, 2017, 06:55:34 AM »
I'm curious Alex, why didn't you do the editing before entering the novel into Scout?
Since the Scout editors want something as close to ready-to-publish as they can get, it would seem a wiser course of action. The submission guidelines actually say, "professionally edited," which is certainly a hint. So is the fact that a novel gets only one round of editing post-selection.

I think it's also better to jump in fast if one is rejected, so that people who nominated the book will still remember it and hopefully be enthusiastic about it. The longer the delay, the less the momentum from the Scout campaign will help the eventual KDP release. I did do another read-through after Scout (and caught a few things that surprised me), so one more look never hurts, but otherwise I think it's better to get the book out as soon as possible.

That said, I also understand that the Scout campaign might give people new ideas they want to implement. I have heard at least a couple other people say they did a complete, post-Scout rewrite and were happy they had done it.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Alex Lidell

• View Profile
    • Alex Lidell's Website
« Reply #1851 on: April 16, 2017, 07:32:12 AM »
I'm curious Alex, why didn't you do the editing before entering the novel into Scout?

I did - but it was ONE book.  I re-wrote it as two books and a novella before going the indy route :)  That nearly doubled my word count and it needed to be re-edited :)
Alex Lidell
YA Fantasy Author
THE CADET OF TILDOR (Penguin, 2013)
FIRST COMMAND: TIDES Novella (Danger Bearing Press, 2017)
AIR AND ASH: TIDES BOOK 1 (Coming May 2, 2017)
WAR AND WIND: TIDES BOOK 2 (Coming June 20, 2017)

Join my newsletter:  http://www.subscribepage.com/TIDES

Offline Alex Lidell

• View Profile
    • Alex Lidell's Website
« Reply #1852 on: April 16, 2017, 07:36:19 AM »
Hey!

I ran a Genre Pulse Book Blast for $200 and only managed to sell 73 books. I had high hopes for that one, so it kind of sucked. Of course, I could be looking at a serious increase in KU's as the days pass, but so far, disappointing. Surprisingly, I ran an eReaderIQ promo, and that one sold 29. Since it was only $12, that was totally worth it!

Now is time to wrap up the sequel and send it to the new editor for her to work her magic. I've never launched a sequel before, so here's to learning more about the business of selling books :D

Genre PULSE or Genre CRAVE?  Just double checking :)  73 books from a single promo is actually really good - unless it's book bub...   I am really excited about your eReader stats!!!
Alex Lidell
YA Fantasy Author

Offline Alex Lidell

• View Profile
    • Alex Lidell's Website
« Reply #1853 on: April 16, 2017, 07:38:27 AM »
It's been quiet around here lately. I guess we're spending more time in our Facebook group, but I like this format too. It's easier to write long posts.

There is a facebook group??? Could you point me in the right direction?? :)
Alex Lidell
YA Fantasy Author

Offline Alex Lidell

• View Profile
    • Alex Lidell's Website
« Reply #1854 on: April 16, 2017, 07:41:05 AM »
I remember nominating your book on Scout :) Seems like such a long time ago! (Which means my own Kindle Scout book was a REALLY long time ago ;D)

I really like your new Air and Ash cover.

Melanie!!! Hi Hi Hi.  Yeah, it's been a while.  Catch me up on your publishing progress???

BTW - do you (or anyone) know how long it takes from when you ask KindleScout to let those who voted for your book know that you have it our on Amazon not to when they actually post the announcement?  I'm trying to figure out the ideal release timing :)
Alex Lidell
YA Fantasy Author

Offline KJD1957

• View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: April 16, 2017, 08:17:43 AM »
Granted, my merfolk book is not fantasy ...

Er ...  if a story on merfolk isn't fantasy, I don't know what is! Teehee.  ;)

Kerry J Donovan

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #1856 on: April 16, 2017, 08:29:47 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/groups/873131669496666/

This is the Kindle Scout alumni Facebook group link

Offline KJD1957

• View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: April 16, 2017, 08:47:05 AM »
The answer to most of those questions is "Nobody knows for sure." I would be willing to bet the ones that get accepted are read before bring accepted.  The editors would be taking a big risk if they didn't.

To be completely honest, Bill, one or two of the books that have made the 'campaign trail' recently have been so poor, I doubt even the author read it after finishing the first draft, let alone anyone on the KS editorial team. One in particular had no proper cover (just a black placeholder) and read as though the author used Google translate to turn a foreign book into English. I read it on the first day of my campaign and couldn't believe it! Where's the credibility we all need? :(

On the other hand, most of the KS books are pretty darned good. :)

Kerry J Donovan

Offline Alex Lidell

• View Profile
    • Alex Lidell's Website
« Reply #1858 on: April 16, 2017, 08:49:18 AM »
Alex Lidell
YA Fantasy Author

Offline Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #1859 on: April 16, 2017, 08:51:00 AM »
Melanie!!! Hi Hi Hi.  Yeah, it's been a while.  Catch me up on your publishing progress???

BTW - do you (or anyone) know how long it takes from when you ask KindleScout to let those who voted for your book know that you have it our on Amazon not to when they actually post the announcement?  I'm trying to figure out the ideal release timing :)

They had it done by the next day, when I released my book.

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Books2Read

Offline RWhite7699

• Hershey, PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1860 on: April 16, 2017, 03:04:42 PM »
My Headtalker campaign still needs five more supporters. Would appreciate your support. Thanks! https://headtalker.com/campaigns/memories-of-summer-2/

Ruth White | facebook | Author Central

Offline KJD1957

• View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: April 16, 2017, 03:28:15 PM »
My Headtalker campaign still needs five more supporters. Would appreciate your support. Thanks! https://headtalker.com/campaigns/memories-of-summer-2/

Done, here's mine if you'd like to reciprocate:
https://headtalker.com/campaigns/kindle-scout-campaign-6/

Kerry J Donovan

Offline RWhite7699

• Hershey, PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: April 16, 2017, 05:41:14 PM »

Already supported yours. Tried to add support again, but they wouldn't let me! Good luck!

Ruth White | facebook | Author Central

Offline MelanieCellier

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: April 16, 2017, 05:50:24 PM »

From the various comments I've seen from authors who have finished their campaigns recently, there seems to be some variability in how long it takes the notification email to go out. Surprising, since I would have assumed it was an automated process.

I've snapped up your preorder while it's 99c :) (I have to start being more circumspect about my book purchases since my Christmas kindle gift cards have just run out. Otherwise my husband is going to start questioning why there are so many book charges on the credit card when I already have about 50 unread books on my kindle and no time to read them :D )

As for my publishing progress, I published my original KindleScout attempt and have turned it into a series. I've got four books out in the series so far (three novels and a novella) and am about to publish the second novella. After that, I just have one more novel before starting a separate follow-on series, and I'm currently agonising over whether to try KindleScout again with that last book.

Melanie Cellier | Website | Facebook

Offline Michelle AMorrison

• View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: April 16, 2017, 08:53:31 PM »
This may be the wrong forum for me. I am new in every way not yet even attempted any publication.  Why am I here? I was referred to thissite because I am thinking of publishing something I wrote.  No i have never published anything before.  SO I was reading the kindle book on how to upload but it seems there is a lot to know before I even go there.  So please can someone tell me whats the process for this.  Do you try for KS then if rejected go on to self publishing or is it one and the same if not whats the difference,  I need guidance... thanks

Offline Alex Lidell

• View Profile
    • Alex Lidell's Website
From the various comments I've seen from authors who have finished their campaigns recently, there seems to be some variability in how long it takes the notification email to go out. Surprising, since I would have assumed it was an automated process.

I've snapped up your preorder while it's 99c :) (I have to start being more circumspect about my book purchases since my Christmas kindle gift cards have just run out. Otherwise my husband is going to start questioning why there are so many book charges on the credit card when I already have about 50 unread books on my kindle and no time to read them :D )

As for my publishing progress, I published my original KindleScout attempt and have turned it into a series. I've got four books out in the series so far (three novels and a novella) and am about to publish the second novella. After that, I just have one more novel before starting a separate follow-on series, and I'm currently agonising over whether to try KindleScout again with that last book.
Oh wow you already have FOUR books out?!!  I bow down to your writing greatness!!!!  Why agonizing over KS? If there a big downside in trying for it?

Huge hug for getting my preorder! Seeing that number jump made my evening :)))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alex Lidell
YA Fantasy Author

Offline MelanieCellier

• Australia
    • View Profile
Oh wow you already have FOUR books out?!!  I bow down to your writing greatness!!!!  Why agonizing over KS? If there a big downside in trying for it?

Haha, thanks. 2016 was an awful year for me in my non-writing life, so getting those four books out (admittedly one was in January 2017) was the best highlight of the year :)

Two hesitations I guess. One is the delay - 45+ days seems like a long time to hold off on a completed, publish-ready book (given the pace required for indie publishing success.) Two is the potential damage to my brand if I'm not selected. I'm concerned that a lot of readers who aren't involved in the publishing world see failure to get picked up by a publisher as purely a measure of writing quality rather than a reflection of the many factors that contribute to the decision. (Which I totally understand, I probably thought the same way before becoming an author.) It didn't matter with my first book when the only audience I had was my family and friends and the people who found me on Scout. But now that I have a small readership, it feels like more of a disadvantage, if that makes sense.

I think I'm probably going to go for it anyway, because I'd love some Amazon marketing power for my series. But the book isn't finished yet, and I'm a bit of an agoniser by nature, so I'm getting my fill of agonising in while I finish writing it ;D

Melanie Cellier | Website | Facebook

Offline KJD1957

• View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: April 17, 2017, 01:51:44 AM »
Already supported yours. Tried to add support again, but they wouldn't let me! Good luck!
Thanks RW. :)

Kerry J Donovan

Online Joynell Schultz

• Wisconsin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Author Page
« Reply #1868 on: April 17, 2017, 02:36:42 AM »
Here's the updated list. Anyone's who has a rejected Kindle Scout book can jump in.

** Kindle Scout Survivor Books in Need of Reviews **

Remember, to get on the list, you need to have reviewed a book on the list (pick whichever one interests you & contact the author for a digital copy or read in Kindle Unlimited.) Once you hit 20 reviews, you'll fall off the list. (Or sooner, if you like.) Let me know if I missed anyone. (Also, I'm throwing in a reminder that we have a private Facebook group you can join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/873131669496666/permalink/904011373075362/)

Please keep reading. The more you review, the more this system will work.

Books to Review: Remember, no review swaps i.e. exchanging reviews with a single author. If you don't have KU or the books not in KU, all the authors below have agreed to provide free digital review copies in exchange for a review. Just send them a PM.
The books on the top of the list need the most help. (Arranged by lowest review numbers to highest.)

(Paranormal Romance) - Immortal Embrace - Michelle Hughes - (Has 3 Reviews)
(Fantasy) The Soul Guide - Kelly Stock - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 4 Reviews)
(Action/Adventure/Sci-Fi) Sixteen Sunsets - Mark Gardner - (Has 7 Reviews)
(Soft Sci-Fi) Lily of the Valley - Ruth White - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 8 Reviews)
(Fantasy / Children's) Shadowbane - Paul Francois (Has 10 Reviews)
(Mystery) Getting Thin is Murder - Al Moe - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 10 Reviews)
(Clean Romance) What Lies Beneath the Mask - Laura Greenwood - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 12 Reviews)
(Fantasy/Mystery/Clean Romance) Blood & Holy Water - Joynell Schultz - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 18 Reviews)
(Fantasy/Suspense) Guardian of the Grail - Elena Bryce - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 21 Reviews)

Online Joynell Schultz

• Wisconsin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Author Page
« Reply #1869 on: April 17, 2017, 02:44:38 AM »

Gotcha!

Gotcha, too!

This may be the wrong forum for me. I am new in every way not yet even attempted any publication.  Why am I here? I was referred to thissite because I am thinking of publishing something I wrote.  No i have never published anything before.  SO I was reading the kindle book on how to upload but it seems there is a lot to know before I even go there.  So please can someone tell me whats the process for this.  Do you try for KS then if rejected go on to self publishing or is it one and the same if not whats the difference,  I need guidance... thanks

This group here all tried for Kindle Scout, then went on to self-publish. I personally did this for the exposure, not really expecting KS to pick me up. I ended up with 30 sales when I did publish (plus 8 mailing list sign ups) from the Kindle scout program. Is this worth locking your book up for 45 days? I don't know. If you'd get the KS contract, that would definitely be worth it. As a new author, I'd recommend giving it a try. It's great to help teach you how to promote your book, as just publishing does not lead to sales.

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #1870 on: April 17, 2017, 03:11:43 AM »
Joy, Can I get Shadowglade added to the review list? The paperback was published on the 4th and I'll be hitting the publish button on the eBook this week.

Offline KJD1957

• View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: April 17, 2017, 08:23:02 AM »
Gotcha!

Gotcha, too!

Thanks millions, Joynell. :)

Kerry J Donovan

Offline MN_Arzu

• View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: April 18, 2017, 06:37:24 AM »
Genre PULSE or Genre CRAVE?  Just double checking :)  73 books from a single promo is actually really good - unless it's book bub...   I am really excited about your eReader stats!!!

Heh, I always thought genre pulse and genre crave were the same thing  :P In any case, I ran a previous campaign with another 2 sites for half the price that got me more than 90 sales. So I wasn't amused to pay $200 (and I had a discounted coupon or it would have been $299) and sell less. But you know, some sites work better than others for certain genres ::shrug:: This one I won't revisit unless I'm trying a different genre.

On happier news, I just reached my 50th review, so there clearly is life after KS  8)

Offline MN_Arzu

• View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: April 18, 2017, 06:41:51 AM »
Er ...  if a story on merfolk isn't fantasy, I don't know what is! Teehee.  ;)

Ah, that old discussion of what is sci-fi and what is fantasy. For me, if there's magic involved, then it's fantasy. If the world explanation is science, then it's sci-fi. Since there's no ounce of magic in my world, I categorize it as sci-fi. Say, merfolk who evolved naturally, genetic manipulation, or otherwordly origins would all fall into sci-fi stories for me.

Of course, I read once an article saying that Star Wars is fantasy, regardless of it being a space opera, so I made my peace with the accepted definition I chose. But I understand why people think I messed up the category, so I just go wherever my readers might find me  ;D

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #1874 on: April 19, 2017, 11:03:09 AM »
My official launch date for Shadowglade is tomorrow, but the book is live now. Everything went better than I expected. The book was live about four hours after I hit the publish button, and the paperback and eBook are already linked. (I wrote to KDP support to make sure this got done right away.) The website claims it can take up to 72 hours for reviews to transfer, but they're showing up already. I started an AMS ad, and will be interested to see how it performs for a new release vs. an older book.

I want to give a shout-out to our own Mark Gardner who did my typography and formatting. He's super efficient and easy to work with.