Author Topic: The "My Book Wasn't Accepted for Kindle Scout, Now What?" Thread  (Read 111951 times)  

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
Re: The "My Book Wasn't Accepted for Kindle Scout, Now What?" Thread
« Reply #1900 on: April 27, 2017, 08:22:04 AM »
Well, all, I finally got my rejection from TOR for Warmache.

I've got two titles that I'll be preparing for KS this year: Moonrise, the sequel to the not-selected Sixteen Sunsets. And my debut murder mystery, Score of Silence. The audiobook for Sixteen Sunsets is scheduled for release next month. John and I are still talking to Severed Press to do another War of the Worlds book. We've got about two weeks left in the contractually obligated offer period.

Bummer on the TOR rejection, but it sounds like you're firing on all cylinders with your other projects.

Offline Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #1901 on: April 27, 2017, 11:21:06 AM »
Fantastic! Thank you. Please let me know if you need a free review copy.

Just finished the book and it was amazing!  I left a review and it should show up on Amazon in a few minutes.  Honestly, I read a lot for research when I wrote mine...and this is one of the best! 

Here's my link.  Thanks and I'll try to read a few more this weekend. :)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y1FTL51?ref_=ks_dp_pdm

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Books2Read

Online Joynell Schultz

• Wisconsin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Author Page
« Reply #1902 on: April 27, 2017, 01:41:51 PM »
Just finished the book and it was amazing!  I left a review and it should show up on Amazon in a few minutes.  Honestly, I read a lot for research when I wrote mine...and this is one of the best! 

Here's my link.  Thanks and I'll try to read a few more this weekend. :)

Awesome Lorri! I'm so happy you liked it and what a nice review. (I know, I know, authors aren't supposed to comment on their reviews.)

Let me know what book you'd like added to the "to-read" list and I'll get you put on right away.

Offline Lorri Moulton

• View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #1903 on: April 27, 2017, 07:08:22 PM »
Awesome Lorri! I'm so happy you liked it and what a nice review. (I know, I know, authors aren't supposed to comment on their reviews.)

Let me know what book you'd like added to the "to-read" list and I'll get you put on right away.

The same book I submitted to Kindle Scout, Moonlight Roses & Murder, which is a paranormal romance and a mystery/suspense story.

Online Joynell Schultz

• Wisconsin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Author Page
« Reply #1904 on: April 28, 2017, 01:30:01 PM »
I had to update the list already -- quite a few changes. My book hit 20 reviews... Yay! and I had two new ones to add on.
Reminder that anyone who has a rejected Kindle Scout book can jump in.

** Kindle Scout Survivor Books in Need of Reviews **

Remember, to get on the list, you need to have reviewed a book on the list (pick whichever one interests you & contact the author for a digital copy or read in Kindle Unlimited.) Once you hit 20 reviews, you'll fall off the list. (Or sooner, if you like.) Let me know if I missed anyone. (Also, I'm throwing in a reminder that we have a private Facebook group you can join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/873131669496666/permalink/904011373075362/)

Please keep reading. The more you review, the more this system will work.

Books to Review: Remember, no review swaps i.e. exchanging reviews with a single author. If you don't have KU or the books not in KU, all the authors below have agreed to provide free digital review copies in exchange for a review. Just send them a PM.
The books on the top of the list need the most help. (Arranged by lowest review numbers to highest.)

(Fantasy) The Soul Guide - Kelly Stock - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 4 Reviews)
(Paranormal Romance) - Moonlight Roses & Murder - Lorri Moulton - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 5 Reviews)
(Paranormal Romance) - Immortal Embrace - Michelle Hughes - (Has 5 Reviews)
(Action/Adventure/Sci-Fi) Sixteen Sunsets - Mark Gardner - (Has 7 Reviews)
(Fantasy) Shadowglade - Kay L. Ling - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 7 Reviews)
(Soft Sci-Fi) Lily of the Valley - Ruth White - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 8 Reviews)
(Mystery) Getting Thin is Murder - Al Moe - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 10 Reviews)
(Fantasy / Children's) Shadowbane - Paul Francois (Has 12 Reviews)
(Clean Romance) What Lies Beneath the Mask - Laura Greenwood - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 12 Reviews)
(Contemporary Romance) Englishwoman in Paris - Jenny O'Brien - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 14 Reviews)

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #1905 on: April 28, 2017, 01:55:57 PM »
The same book I submitted to Kindle Scout, Moonlight Roses & Murder, which is a paranormal romance and a mystery/suspense story.

I'll read yours. I downloaded it the other day. I'm in the middle of two books already (I do that routinely) but we're going on vacation for two weeks starting next Saturday, so I should be able to get to it then.

Offline Lorri Moulton

• View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #1906 on: April 28, 2017, 03:04:11 PM »
Thank you, Kay!

And thanks to Joy for adding my book to the list. :)

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #1907 on: April 30, 2017, 07:40:42 AM »
Bill, I see you're running some promos. I just saw you in Book Gorilla. Have you tried them before? Good luck!

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #1908 on: April 30, 2017, 08:31:08 AM »
Bill, I see you're running some promos. I just saw you in Book Gorilla. Have you tried them before? Good luck!
I have used Book Gorilla on and off, with reasonable success. That was my first big promo (about 85 sales, mostly on the first day). I don't use them as often as some because they schedule so far ahead it's difficult to coordinate them with other promos. I think they'd be a great combination with ENT, but ENT only schedules one month out, while BG is always booked at least two months in advance.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #1909 on: April 30, 2017, 08:49:19 AM »
I have used Book Gorilla on and off, with reasonable success. That was my first big promo (about 85 sales, mostly on the first day). I don't use them as often as some because they schedule so far ahead it's difficult to coordinate them with other promos. I think they'd be a great combination with ENT, but ENT only schedules one month out, while BG is always booked at least two months in advance.

Last Sunday, I did a KND with free rollover to Book Gorilla and my results were not great, and I spent a fortune on it. I'm on day ten of promos, finishing today, and I think after the first three or four days I exhausted most of my buyers. I have a feeling a lot of people subscribe to multiple newsletters, and they see the same books a few days in a row. And yet when you launched Different Lee, you ran promos for quite a few weeks and didn't seem to run out of buyers, so I don't know.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: April 30, 2017, 09:14:44 AM »
Last Sunday, I did a KND with free rollover to Book Gorilla and my results were not great, and I spent a fortune on it. I'm on day ten of promos, finishing today, and I think after the first three or four days I exhausted most of my buyers. I have a feeling a lot of people subscribe to multiple newsletters, and they see the same books a few days in a row. And yet when you launched Different Lee, you ran promos for quite a few weeks and didn't seem to run out of buyers, so I don't know.
I agree that some people probably subscribe to all the lists, but it's difficult to measure the impact because we have no way of knowing how big the overlap is. Most of my really big DL promos were near the beginning of the cycle, but it wasn't a steady slide downhill by any means.

I've never had much luck with KND, and when I tried the rollover, the results weren't as good as when I booked Book Gorilla separately. If I had to guess, I would say it was because the rollover promotions can't be starred titles--the rollover only gives you regular placement, not starred placement (which costs a little extra). The rollover is more economical, but your title appears further down in the newsletter. BG says 75% of their readers indicate that they read all the way down, but I'm a little skeptical.

Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Rae B. Lake

• Imagination without limits
    • View Profile
    • Rae B. Lake
« Reply #1911 on: April 30, 2017, 09:18:36 AM »
Hey All!

My Book is still in kindle scout... few more days left! But I would LOVE to read youse guys work and review! I am 90% expecting to be on this thread within the next week! But  even if I get picked, I still would like to read your work! Is this allowed? Or do I have to rejected from scout to join in?
Frozen Perfection: 100%

Crimson Illusion: 100%

Onyx Tremors: 20%
Rae B. Lake | Blog | Youtube | wattpad

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #1912 on: April 30, 2017, 11:02:41 AM »
Yikes! I decided to submit the latest draft of Score of Silence to Kindle Scout.

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #1913 on: April 30, 2017, 11:13:42 AM »
Yikes! I decided to submit the latest draft of Score of Silence to Kindle Scout.

Ha! You're a glutton for punishment! Good luck and we'll all be nominating you!

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #1914 on: April 30, 2017, 12:22:19 PM »
You're a glutton for punishment!
Especially since I just got a rejection from TOR...

I think I'm gonna work on getting Moonrise ready for a run this summer.

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #1915 on: April 30, 2017, 12:50:00 PM »
Hey All!

My Book is still in kindle scout... few more days left! But I would LOVE to read youse guys work and review! I am 90% expecting to be on this thread within the next week! But  even if I get picked, I still would like to read your work! Is this allowed? Or do I have to rejected from scout to join in?

This thread is for all Kindle Scout alumni, but specifically for those of us who weren't selected. If your book is selected, you'll be able to join a closed Facebook group for those authors, and you'll find a supportive group there as well.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 12:51:57 PM by Kay7979 »

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: April 30, 2017, 01:58:43 PM »
This thread is for all Kindle Scout alumni, but specifically for those of us who weren't selected. If your book is selected, you'll also be able to join a closed Facebook group for those authors, and you'll find a supportive group there as well.
I suggested the addition of one word (in bold above). I think that's what you meant, isn't it? The original wording was clear in the first part, but not so much in the second.

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #1917 on: April 30, 2017, 02:13:19 PM »
I suggested the addition of one word (in bold above). I think that's what you meant, isn't it? The original wording was clear in the first part, but not so much in the second.

Yes. "There as well" meaning in addition to here!

Offline KJD1957

• View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: April 30, 2017, 02:27:07 PM »
Hey All!

Mine finishes tomorrow and I expect go be in the same boat within the next few days. Nonetheless, I will be self-publishing anyway!
The KJD spirit will never die until he does. Deep, eh?

Kerry J Donovan

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #1919 on: April 30, 2017, 04:07:45 PM »
Mine finishes tomorrow and I expect go be in the same boat within the next few days. Nonetheless, I will be self-publishing anyway!

Everyone is welcome here, and it's nice to see people join us from the original thread. The best part of the Kindle Scout program is meeting other authors who are all trying to make their way in this tough industry. Kindle Scout provides a unique opportunity to pitch our books to an editorial staff, without waiting months or years for an answer. Which ever way the decision goes, everyone seems to come away learning new things and making new friends during the campaign.

Offline KJD1957

• View Profile
« Reply #1920 on: May 01, 2017, 12:04:34 AM »
Everyone is welcome here, and it's nice to see people join us from the original thread. The best part of the Kindle Scout program is meeting other authors who are all trying to make their way in this tough industry. Kindle Scout provides a unique opportunity to pitch our books to an editorial staff, without waiting months or years for an answer. Which ever way the decision goes, everyone seems to come away learning new things and making new friends during the campaign.

I hear you, Kay! :)

Kerry J Donovan

Online Joynell Schultz

• Wisconsin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Author Page
« Reply #1921 on: May 01, 2017, 02:17:09 AM »

I have both of you in my nominations...good luck! Hopefully, you don't join us. :-) (I mean that in a good way!)

Especially since I just got a rejection from TOR...

I think I'm gonna work on getting Moonrise ready for a run this summer.

Sorry about the rejection for TOR. BTW - your new cover for War of the Worlds looks fabulous! I'm undecided if I'm submitting The Secret Lives of the Superheroes' Wives to Kindle Scout...I probably will...and will join you in your campaign efforts this summer with Moonrise. You can't have too many superhero books out there. :-)

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #1922 on: May 01, 2017, 06:33:58 AM »
Sorry about the rejection for TOR. BTW - your new cover for War of the Worlds looks fabulous! I'm undecided if I'm submitting The Secret Lives of the Superheroes' Wives to Kindle Scout...I probably will...and will join you in your campaign efforts this summer with Moonrise. You can't have too many superhero books out there. :-)
The new cover is all Severed Press. I was talking to another sci-fi author recently, and we were discussing covers, genre fit, etc. He also liked the new cover, and I asked him if he liked it better than the old cover. He basically said that the old cover was more like a cover for literary fiction. (War of the Worlds: Retaliation is actually a historical fiction novel that happens to have strong sci-fi elements.) He agrees that the new cover looks more sci-fi genre fiction. Heck, if it sells thousands of copies with the new cover over the hundreds of copies with the old cover, I'm fine with that.

As for submitting The Secret Lives of Superhero Wives, go for it. It's couldn't hurt. I usually go straight to Kindle Scout for my superhero stuff, because I haven't identified a traditional publisher that groks that kind of thing.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: May 01, 2017, 06:48:25 AM »
Report on yesterday's promo (Book Gorilla and Book Barbarian for Different Lee: 42 sales, all US. The book was over 97,000 in the Kindle store in the early morning, something like 5,800 24 hours later.

At a $0.99 promo price, I'm not making back what I spent, but in terms of exposure, I'm happy with the results.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: May 01, 2017, 06:51:08 AM »
(War of the Worlds: Retaliation is actually a historical fiction novel that happens to have strong sci-fi elements.) He agrees that the new cover looks more sci-fi genre fiction. Heck, if it sells thousands of copies with the new cover over the hundreds of copies with the old cover, I'm fine with that.
It's interesting how perspectives differ. I would have said it was a sci-fi novel with strong historical elements. :P

Yes, I did finally get around to reading it, and I thought it was great! I'll be posting a review as soon as I finish my current project, which is nearly done.