Author Topic: The "My Book Wasn't Accepted for Kindle Scout, Now What?" Thread  (Read 111955 times)  

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Re: The "My Book Wasn't Accepted for Kindle Scout, Now What?" Thread
« Reply #1975 on: May 17, 2017, 06:16:14 AM »
The Road to El Nido crashed and burned.

Crooks' Corner is under review.

Shipley Bridge just launched

https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/ZYHBGKNS4ZJV

Not bad in two months!

Hope KS don't get fed up with seeing my campaigns! :)
I wish I could be as productive as that!

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline AaronFrale

• Minneapolis, MN
  • May the schwartz be with you.
    • View Profile
    • My Amazon Page
« Reply #1976 on: May 17, 2017, 07:43:07 AM »
My goal is to publish at least 2 books a year, that way in four or five years when I'm an overnight success, I'll have 20+ titles in my back catalog.

Yep, that's my plan too. I figure that I can write one new one and one sequel to an existing book (which I'm bad at doing, I write them halfway and then get really excited by a new idea and write new book). I'm trying to stick to my guns this year and produce at least one sequel.

Let us know how Comicon goes!

Aaron Frale | Twitter | Facebook | Website

Offline Dan Petrosini author

• View Profile
    • Dan's website
« Reply #1977 on: May 17, 2017, 09:07:00 AM »
Hello All,

I am no your camp!  The Final Enemy was rejected by KS

Oh well, now will self publish. Got to get moving,  Looking for suggestions to get FAST reviews, 

Look forward to learning from all of you!
Cheers,
Dan Petrosini

My work in progress: 40%
Dan Petrosini | blog

Offline AaronFrale

• Minneapolis, MN
  • May the schwartz be with you.
    • View Profile
    • My Amazon Page
« Reply #1978 on: May 17, 2017, 10:33:41 AM »
Oh well, now will self publish. Got to get moving,  Looking for suggestions to get FAST reviews, 

The best way to have reviews on day one is plan about three months in advance of your release. Ask your reviewers if they'd like a copy of the book in exchange for posting it on release day. Send out copies and wait. If you have a decent sized fan mailing list, you can do that pretty easily. If you are just starting, I'd focus on building the fan base and getting the book out there over reviews.

I know it's not fast, but anything else that isn't you providing a copy of your book in exchange for a review will most likely be a TOS violation and could get you booted. Some sites will promise fast reviews, but I'd be wary. If they use a bot to generate reviews that will definitely get you booted. Keep in mind paying for people to review your book is also a TOS violation.

Aaron Frale | Twitter | Facebook | Website

Offline ID Johnson

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: May 17, 2017, 11:10:46 AM »
Hi guys! I've found my way over from the other thread. My eyes are still adjusting from the darkness of the waiting room, lol. I've read through a lot of the thread and appreciate all the great suggestions for a successful launch. I will likely be self-publishing in the next few days. Just wanted to say hello and thanks for the tips!

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #1980 on: May 17, 2017, 11:19:29 AM »
Hi guys! I've found my way over from the other thread. My eyes are still adjusting from the darkness of the waiting room, lol. I've read through a lot of the thread and appreciate all the great suggestions for a successful launch. I will likely be self-publishing in the next few days. Just wanted to say hello and thanks for the tips!

Welcome and good luck! There's definitely life after Kindle Scout, and there's something to be said for retaining full control over marketing your novel.

Offline amdonehere

• View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: May 17, 2017, 11:45:13 AM »
Hello All,

I am no your camp!  The Final Enemy was rejected by KS

Look forward to learning from all of you!
Cheers,
Dan Petrosini

That almost got me too. I found myself suddenly scrambling to get books out to ACR readers. Good luck!

Offline ID Johnson

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: May 17, 2017, 12:27:14 PM »
Welcome and good luck! There's definitely life after Kindle Scout, and there's something to be said for retaining full control over marketing your novel.

Thank you! Yes, that control is definitely a plus.  It's nice to be among friends!

Offline ID Johnson

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: May 18, 2017, 05:46:56 AM »
Hey, y'all! (I can say that--I'm from Texas.)
I just wanted to let you know I went ahead and self-published Beneath the Inconstant Moon and it went live today. Here's the link if you'd like to check it out. I've got it at 99 cents for now so hopefully some of those people who wanted it for free won't mind paying a buck. We'll see!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072FJQ8GD

Online Joynell Schultz

• Wisconsin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Author Page
« Reply #1984 on: May 21, 2017, 03:19:19 AM »
I took off a few books where the authors seem to not be responding. If I removed you in error, please let me know.

** Kindle Scout Survivor Books in Need of Reviews **

Remember, to get on the list, you need to have reviewed a book on the list (pick whichever one interests you & contact the author for a digital copy or read in Kindle Unlimited.) Once you hit 20 reviews, you'll fall off the list. (Or sooner, if you like.) Let me know if I missed anyone. (Also, I'm throwing in a reminder that we have a private Facebook group you can join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/873131669496666/permalink/904011373075362/)

Please keep reading. The more you review, the more this system will work.

Books to Review: Remember, no review swaps i.e. exchanging reviews with a single author. If you don't have KU or the books not in KU, all the authors below have agreed to provide free digital review copies in exchange for a review. Just send them a PM.
The books on the top of the list need the most help. (Arranged by lowest review numbers to highest.)

(Contemporary Romance) - One Broken Day - Melissa MacVicar - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 1 Reviews)
(Romantic Fantasy) - Frozen Perfection - Rae B. Lake - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 1 Reviews)
(Action/Adventure/Sci-Fi) Sixteen Sunsets - Mark Gardner - (Has 7 Reviews)
(Paranormal Romance) - Moonlight Roses & Murder - Lorri Moulton - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 8 Reviews)
(Dystopian) Atmospheric Pressure - Aaron Frale - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 10 Reviews)
(Fantasy) Shadowglade - Kay L. Ling - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 11 Reviews)
(Fantasy / Children's) Shadowbane - Paul Francois (Has 13 Reviews)
(Clean Romance) What Lies Beneath the Mask - Laura Greenwood - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 14 Reviews)
(Fantasy) The Soul Guide - Kelly Stock - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 17 Reviews)
(Contemporary Romance) Englishwoman in Paris - Jenny O'Brien - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 17 Reviews)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 03:22:18 AM by Joynell Schultz »

Online Joynell Schultz

• Wisconsin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Author Page
« Reply #1985 on: May 21, 2017, 03:27:30 AM »
I just wanted to let you know I went ahead and self-published Beneath the Inconstant Moon and it went live today. Here's the link if you'd like to check it out. I've got it at 99 cents for now so hopefully some of those people who wanted it for free won't mind paying a buck. We'll see!

Congrats (and Welcome!) I hope it's going well.

Welcome!

• View Profile
    • Dan's website
« Reply #1986 on: May 21, 2017, 08:55:33 AM »
Hello All,
Before pulling the trigger and putting The Final Enemy into KDP, was looking for confirmation or other approaches to pricing.  Was going to put up for a period, 2 weeks?, at .99 cents before going to 2.99 to 'thank' nominators even though my thank you letter makes no reference to that gesture.

Any feedback..Thanks a bunch Dan

Dan Petrosini | blog

Offline C L Salaski

• View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: May 21, 2017, 11:19:10 AM »

That's great news, I.D. I'm heading over to Amazon right now.

As soon as I read your first few paragraphs on KS I was immediately drawn into your story. I knew I was going to like your book. In a way, we are like-minded. You used the word "furiously" to describe the waves, similar to the way I did in The Neglected Ones. I was advised by a beta reader to remove the word "furiously" but I chose not to eliminate the word just because it was an adverb. Many times we need those adverbs to clarify and add strength to a scene. Also I love the way you describe the sea as being angry, and in my novel I describe the wind as being angry. Love it!  :D

Just saw your ranking. Way to go!!!

Kind regards,

Cindy

Offline C L Salaski

• View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: May 21, 2017, 11:23:53 AM »
What's the best way to get beta readers?

Any guidance you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Cindy
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 11:25:41 AM by C L Salaski »

Offline BillyDeCarlo

• View Profile
    • Billy DeCarlo, Author
« Reply #1989 on: May 22, 2017, 01:27:31 PM »
<opening door tentatively, intimidated by seeing a roomful of strangers, hesitating, thinking about bailing, then trudging in slowly with head down...>

Hello. Just got the word. Dang, I'm rejected. In the meantime, I need to get the book out there. Does anyone have any kind of list or timeline of what steps to take now? I know how to publish it via CreateSpace, KDP, and Ingram Spark. But as far as marketing, what steps to take when? I have a bunch of notes and highlighted book passage from books on the topic, I'll revisit those, but just looking for other tips here as well. Specifically for a debut novel under a pen name. Feeling a sense of urgency now!

Vigilante Angels Book I: The Priest
https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/1GDECMSG2NR1Y

All available WIDE!
Billy DeCarlo | Website/blog | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Amazon | BookBub | Goodreads | LibraryThing | Patreon

• View Profile
    • Dan's website
« Reply #1990 on: May 22, 2017, 02:25:06 PM »
Hello All,

I appreciated all the counsel and comfort!]
The Final Enemy is now LIVE!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072FNDQ68/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1495485988&sr=1-1&keywords=the+final+enemy

Thanks Dan

Dan Petrosini | blog

Offline BillyDeCarlo

• View Profile
    • Billy DeCarlo, Author
« Reply #1991 on: May 22, 2017, 03:20:14 PM »
Does anyone know whether putting my book (which was just declined by KS) on preorder will allow me to push the button that says it's available on my KS page? I'm taking no more than a week to re-read it and get my marketing in order, but wonder if a seven day preorder in the meantime would be good. Also because I'm hoping that the sites that won't allow me to create an author page because this is my debut and I don't have a book out yet (Bookbub, Amazon, Goodreads) may then let me create one so it's in place for the real launch.

All available WIDE!
Billy DeCarlo | Website/blog | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Amazon | BookBub | Goodreads | LibraryThing | Patreon

Offline JulianneQJohnson

• Indianapolis
    • View Profile
    • Julianne Q Johnson- pictures and words
« Reply #1992 on: May 22, 2017, 07:37:32 PM »
Hello everybody!

Dan P- getting advance reviews after a KS campaign is tricky.  One isn't allowed to send out ARC copies while campaigning, and waiting to do it after can seriously hurt the sales you might get from the campaign itself.  (Learned that the hard way.)  In my opinion, go ahead and publish the book as soon as it's ready.  Hopefully some reviews will come from your nominators.  Also, go ahead and send ARC copies out to any beta readers or newsletter subscribers you wish.  The reviews won't be there on launch day, but they will get there eventually, and reviews are good whenever you get them.  Stay away from sites like Instafreebie if you are in KU.
Also, I think the .99 launch is a good thank you. 

ID Johnson- Good to see you and hope your launch goes swimmingly!

C L Salaski-
I'm with you!  yes, a profusion of -ly adverbs can be the sign of a green writer, but that does not mean one has to eradicate them all as if they were plague carriers.
As for beta readers, if you have a newsletter you can ask for volunteers.  You can also get involved in a writer's forum such as Absolute Write, where they have a section for those looking for beta readers.  You could also post places like the KBoards.

Billy- there's tons of online info about how to get the word out.  You can also back up in this thread and read a bit, there's tons of information here.  My only advice is to not sink a bunch of money into ads and promotion if this is the first title under this name.  Paid promotion works best when there is a back-list or more books in a series to promote buy-through. Just my opinion, of course.
You can set up the book for pre-order and get those author pages in place, but if it was me, I'd wait on pushing that KS button until it's live.

• View Profile
    • Dan's website
« Reply #1993 on: May 23, 2017, 07:20:31 AM »
The Final Enemy was up on Amazon yesterday afternoon around 4 PM and sales were just 25 copies. Hoping that there is some lagging data....
https://www.amazon.com/Final-Enemy-Dan-Petrosini-ebook/dp/B072FNDQ68/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1495546722&sr=1-1&keywords=the+final+enemy

Dan Petrosini | blog

Offline ID Johnson

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: May 23, 2017, 08:17:03 AM »
That's great news, I.D. I'm heading over to Amazon right now.

As soon as I read your first few paragraphs on KS I was immediately drawn into your story. I knew I was going to like your book. In a way, we are like-minded. You used the word "furiously" to describe the waves, similar to the way I did in The Neglected Ones. I was advised by a beta reader to remove the word "furiously" but I chose not to eliminate the word just because it was an adverb. Many times we need those adverbs to clarify and add strength to a scene. Also I love the way you describe the sea as being angry, and in my novel I describe the wind as being angry. Love it!  :D

Just saw your ranking. Way to go!!!

Kind regards,

Cindy
Hey Cindy! I noticed the similarities about our books from the beginning, too. I will be reading the rest of yours as soon as it is available! A few of my betas had difficulty with that first paragraph, too, but I left it alone.  I've been happy with the launch so far, thank you! It has been almost as stressful as the campaign! I've not been spending as much time on here as I'd like, so I apologize for just now responding.

Offline ID Johnson

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #1995 on: May 23, 2017, 08:21:17 AM »
The Final Enemy was up on Amazon yesterday afternoon around 4 PM and sales were just 25 copies. Hoping that there is some lagging data....
https://www.amazon.com/Final-Enemy-Dan-Petrosini-ebook/dp/B072FNDQ68/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1495546722&sr=1-1&keywords=the+final+enemy
Dan, your results are very similar to mine. 25 copies the first day. I pushed into the top 10,000 briefly, and I've been hanging out between 13,000-11,000 since. This is day 6. I've sold about 83 copies of "Moon" since Thursday. Is it record shattering? No. Is it good for me? Absolutely! Am I happy? You bet! Will I be pushing to do better? Yes, sir! So... good luck! If you hit on something that works wonders, let us know!

Offline amdonehere

• View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: May 23, 2017, 12:58:25 PM »
One thing I'm really concerned about is what the KS buyers will do to my Also-Boughts. I need my Also-Boughts to be populated by the right books in my target genre. I'm in a total dilemma about what might happen if a surge of KS buyers might make my Also-Boughts a mess.

I'm seriously thinking about emailing Chris Fox and asking him what I should do.

Offline BillyDeCarlo

• View Profile
    • Billy DeCarlo, Author
« Reply #1997 on: May 23, 2017, 01:47:04 PM »
** Kindle Scout Survivor Books in Need of Reviews **

I want to review (Dystopian) Atmospheric Pressure - Aaron Frale. How can I reach the author to ask for a copy?

All available WIDE!

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #1998 on: May 23, 2017, 02:21:39 PM »
I want to review (Dystopian) Atmospheric Pressure - Aaron Frale. How can I reach the author to ask for a copy?
He checks this thread periodically, but it wouldn't hurt to send him a private message via the Kboards.

• View Profile
    • Dan's website
« Reply #1999 on: May 23, 2017, 02:33:17 PM »
Hello everybody!

Dan P- getting advance reviews after a KS campaign is tricky.  One isn't allowed to send out ARC copies while campaigning, and waiting to do it after can seriously hurt the sales you might get from the campaign itself.  (Learned that the hard way.)  In my opinion, go ahead and publish the book as soon as it's ready.  Hopefully some reviews will come from your nominators.  Also, go ahead and send ARC copies out to any beta readers or newsletter subscribers you wish.  The reviews won't be there on launch day, but they will get there eventually, and reviews are good whenever you get them.  Stay away from sites like Instafreebie if you are in KU.
Also, I think the .99 launch is a good thank you. 
Thank you!!
ID Johnson- Good to see you and hope your launch goes swimmingly!

C L Salaski-
I'm with you!  yes, a profusion of -ly adverbs can be the sign of a green writer, but that does not mean one has to eradicate them all as if they were plague carriers.
As for beta readers, if you have a newsletter you can ask for volunteers.  You can also get involved in a writer's forum such as Absolute Write, where they have a section for those looking for beta readers.  You could also post places like the KBoards.

Billy- there's tons of online info about how to get the word out.  You can also back up in this thread and read a bit, there's tons of information here.  My only advice is to not sink a bunch of money into ads and promotion if this is the first title under this name.  Paid promotion works best when there is a back-list or more books in a series to promote buy-through. Just my opinion, of course.
You can set up the book for pre-order and get those author pages in place, but if it was me, I'd wait on pushing that KS button until it's live.

Dan Petrosini | blog

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac