Author Topic: The "My Book Wasn't Accepted for Kindle Scout, Now What?" Thread  (Read 110688 times)  

Offline ID Johnson

• Texas
    • View Profile
Re: The "My Book Wasn't Accepted for Kindle Scout, Now What?" Thread
« Reply #2025 on: June 01, 2017, 10:04:06 AM »
Welcome, Jennifer.

Ok so I did in fact got an email from KS today thanking me for notifying them my book is on sale, and telling me that an email will go out to my voters. I got that notification email to voters myself as well. But again, I'm not expecting a whole lot from it because I think most of them should already have gotten my book free by now.

The silver lining might be that my Also-bots are now firstly populated by my own books, and I've got 9 reviews so the page is a good sales pitch and not empty.
I got your email, too, Alexa. Hopefully, that will translate as some sales today!
Today is day 15 after my release and I've sold 143 copies, if anyone wants to know.  I'm still at 99 cents and have a few more promos scheduled for June and will go to 3.99 on July 1. My Book Cave and EBookSoda ran yesterday and did pretty well for less expensive sites.
Hi Jennifer!! Nice to see you, although I'm sorry you're here because your book should have been chosen. (But then, I think that's pretty much everyone here, so....)

Offline Jennifer Bull

• View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: June 01, 2017, 01:56:35 PM »
I got your email, too, Alexa. Hopefully, that will translate as some sales today!
Today is day 15 after my release and I've sold 143 copies, if anyone wants to know.  I'm still at 99 cents and have a few more promos scheduled for June and will go to 3.99 on July 1. My Book Cave and EBookSoda ran yesterday and did pretty well for less expensive sites.
Hi Jennifer!! Nice to see you, although I'm sorry you're here because your book should have been chosen. (But then, I think that's pretty much everyone here, so....)

Thanks, and likewise! I think we managed to hit an odd month at Scout... they only picked up 7 books this month. Some of which are genres they don't seem to have chosen before. Congrats on the sales! I'm making some final edits to the text and cover before I go live, but I should be joining you all on Amazon soon!
Jennifer Bull | Facebook | Twitter | Website
The Paper Scientist | Tools for Writers (including character booklets, scene cards, and pre-made book covers) available on Etsy

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #2027 on: June 01, 2017, 04:48:58 PM »
Thanks, and likewise! I think we managed to hit an odd month at Scout... they only picked up 7 books this month. Some of which are genres they don't seem to have chosen before. Congrats on the sales! I'm making some final edits to the text and cover before I go live, but I should be joining you all on Amazon soon!

Seven books is fairly normal. There have been some months with fewer, and I think the highest I've seen was thirteen.

Offline ID Johnson

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: June 01, 2017, 06:31:55 PM »
I think I'm most surprised by the number of books that were on H & T nearly the whole time and didn't get picked. Now some of those books are hanging out in the top 5000. I can't imagine what they would have done with KP behind them.
This is definitely my best launch ever but I'm sure it's nothing to a lot of people. I can't complain though!

Offline Joynell Schultz

• Wisconsin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Author Page
« Reply #2029 on: June 02, 2017, 01:21:03 PM »
Hi All! Sorry I've been MIA. I have so many writing projects going right now, that I can't keep up on anything! (Not to mention those other things in my life that I have to give attention to too...like my family...and that job thing that keeps getting in the way.)

Here's an updated list:

** Kindle Scout Survivor Books in Need of Reviews **

Remember, to get on the list, you need to have reviewed a book on the list (pick whichever one interests you & contact the author for a digital copy or read in Kindle Unlimited.) Once you hit 20 reviews, you'll fall off the list. (Or sooner, if you like.) Let me know if I missed anyone. (Also, I'm throwing in a reminder that we have a private Facebook group you can join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/873131669496666/permalink/904011373075362/)

Please keep reading. The more you review, the more this system will work.

Books to Review: Remember, no review swaps i.e. exchanging reviews with a single author. If you don't have KU or the books not in KU, all the authors below have agreed to provide free digital review copies in exchange for a review. Just send them a PM.
The books on the top of the list need the most help. (Arranged by lowest review numbers to highest.)

(Paranormal Romance) - Frozen Perfection - Rae B. Lake - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 1 Reviews)
(Contemporary Romance-YA) - One Broken Day - Melissa MacVicar - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 3 Reviews)
(Action/Adventure/Sci-Fi) Sixteen Sunsets - Mark Gardner - (Has 7 Reviews)
(Paranormal Mystery/Romance) - Moonlight Roses & Murder - Lorri Moulton - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 8 Reviews)
(Dystopian) Atmospheric Pressure - Aaron Frale - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 11 Reviews)
(Fantasy) Shadowglade - Kay L. Ling - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 11 Reviews)
(Fantasy / Children's) Shadowbane - Paul Francois (Has 14 Reviews)
(Clean Romance) What Lies Beneath the Mask - Laura Greenwood - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 14 Reviews)
(Fantasy) The Soul Guide - Kelly Stock - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 19 Reviews)
(Contemporary Romance) Englishwoman in Paris - Jenny O'Brien - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 19 Reviews)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 09:20:58 AM by Joynell Schultz »

Online Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #2030 on: June 02, 2017, 01:51:33 PM »
Joy,

Can you change my genre to Paranormal Mystery/Romance? 

Thank you! :)

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Books2Read

Offline Dan Petrosini author

• View Profile
    • Dan's website
« Reply #2031 on: June 04, 2017, 05:52:52 AM »
Dan I get them on a weekly basis, sometimes twice a week, and I don't even buy books with the account tied to my author account. I browse a lot of books in my genre in search of keywords for my AMS ads, and like clockwork, Amazon would send me emails with a list of books they think I'd like based on my searches.

Maybe the emails they send you went to your SPAM box? It should go to your email account where you use to search for books.

I can't believe that I would not be targeted given how many books i buy.  (Not in my spam!)

My work in progress: 40%
Dan Petrosini | blog

Offline Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #2032 on: June 04, 2017, 07:01:11 AM »
Wow, fast rejection for Score of Silence.

Offline Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #2033 on: June 04, 2017, 07:19:47 AM »
Just a few questions for the old hands at this.

At upload to KS do you format your MS in Word as you would for Kindle with the front matter? looking at samples, it seems not.

If the answer is yes, do you unclude a TOC? seems not.

If the answer is yes, can you include images as you could in an eBook? Okay, got this, not in the first 5000 words.

Can you still publish a print book once they publish the eBook, or do they do that also?

Does it involve a great marketing push for your side? Or do they have enough participating readers to find you for reads?

« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 07:35:46 AM by Decon »

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
Declan Conner | blog

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #2034 on: June 04, 2017, 07:36:46 AM »
Just a few questions for the old hands at this.

At upload to KS do you format your MS in Word as you would for Kindle with the front matter?

If the answer is yes, do you unclude a TOC?

If the answer is yes, can you include images as you could in an eBook?

Can you still publish a print book once they publish the eBook, or do they do that also?

Does it involve a great marketing push for your side? Or do they have enough participating readers to find you for reads?
The directions say to include the front matter, and they said yes when I asked, but others have just submitted the body and gotten no complaints.

No, you don't include a TOC.

Kindle Press is digital only, but you can self-publish the paperback.

KS can involve a marketing push by you, but it doesn't have to. The stats don't actually determine selection, though the more attention your book gets, the better the launch is apt to be.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #2035 on: June 04, 2017, 07:49:29 AM »
The directions say to include the front matter, and they said yes when I asked, but others have just submitted the body and gotten no complaints.

No, you don't include a TOC.

Kindle Press is digital only, but you can self-publish the paperback.

KS can involve a marketing push by you, but it doesn't have to. The stats don't actually determine selection, though the more attention your book gets, the better the launch is apt to be.

I might give Girl at the Window a try. It's ready for publishing but for a final edit and its on Wattpad in full, (Currently 141 in mystery thillers of the top 1000) but I wasn't going to publish until after the summer anyway, so nothing lost by submitting once it's edited.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 07:51:54 AM by Decon »

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
Declan Conner | blog

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #2036 on: June 04, 2017, 08:10:27 AM »

Wow. That really was fast. Sorry to hear it.

Offline ID Johnson

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: June 04, 2017, 11:10:11 AM »
I was really surprised and sorry to see that email this morning, Mark.  It looks like a great book with a strong beginning and I'm sure it will do amazing no matter what you decide to do next. Do you think you'll self-publish?

Offline Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #2038 on: June 04, 2017, 01:07:15 PM »
I was really surprised and sorry to see that email this morning, Mark.  It looks like a great book with a strong beginning and I'm sure it will do amazing no matter what you decide to do next. Do you think you'll self-publish?
I'll probably offer it to Poisoned Pen Press first, then we'll see what 2018 brings. To be perfectly honest, I'm glad it got rejected. I like being a hybrid author, but I like traditional publishing less and less every contract I get.

Offline Knox

• View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: June 05, 2017, 06:13:30 AM »

(Paranormal Romance) - Frozen Perfection - Rae B. Lake - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 1 Reviews)
(Contemporary Romance-YA) - One Broken Day - Melissa MacVicar - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 3 Reviews)
(Paranormal Romance) - Moonlight Roses & Murder - Lorri Moulton - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 8 Reviews)
(Dystopian) Atmospheric Pressure - Aaron Frale - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 11 Reviews)
(Clean Romance) What Lies Beneath the Mask - Laura Greenwood - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 14 Reviews)
(Contemporary Romance) Englishwoman in Paris - Jenny O'Brien - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 19 Reviews)

Gonna start taking a shot at the list, but there are no mysteries at the moment. I've downloaded the three romances on Kindle Unlimited for now, and will try to review at least one. Remember even just the downloads to check it out helps the author! I tend to forget that.

Boy, the rollercoaster of a quick climb and a rapid drop in the charts is something to get used to...

Offline Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #2040 on: June 05, 2017, 06:53:48 AM »
Gonna start taking a shot at the list, but there are no mysteries at the moment.
I got my rejection for my mystery novel yesterday. I'm not ready to self-pub just yet. Let me know if you'd like an advance copy. I'm curious if your thoughts match all the other mystery readers thoughts.

Offline Jennifer Bull

• View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: June 05, 2017, 07:03:54 AM »

Sorry, Mark :( Best of luck with the book, however you go ahead with publishing!
Jennifer Bull | Facebook | Twitter | Website
The Paper Scientist | Tools for Writers (including character booklets, scene cards, and pre-made book covers) available on Etsy

Online Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #2042 on: June 05, 2017, 09:13:05 AM »
Gonna start taking a shot at the list, but there are no mysteries at the moment. I've downloaded the three romances on Kindle Unlimited for now, and will try to review at least one. Remember even just the downloads to check it out helps the author! I tend to forget that.

Boy, the rollercoaster of a quick climb and a rapid drop in the charts is something to get used to...

Mine is a murder mystery.  It just hasn't been changed to reflect that yet. 
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y1FTL51

It should say Paranormal Mystery/Romance. :)

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 09:15:03 AM by Lorri Moulton »

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Books2Read

Offline Joynell Schultz

• Wisconsin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Author Page
« Reply #2043 on: June 05, 2017, 09:26:16 AM »
Here's an updated list (genre changes):

Remember, to get on the list, you need to have reviewed a book on the list (pick whichever one interests you & contact the author for a digital copy or read in Kindle Unlimited.) Once you hit 20 reviews, you'll fall off the list. (Or sooner, if you like.) Let me know if I missed anyone. (Also, I'm throwing in a reminder that we have a private Facebook group you can join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/873131669496666/permalink/904011373075362/)

Please keep reading. The more you review, the more this system will work.

Books to Review: Remember, no review swaps i.e. exchanging reviews with a single author. If you don't have KU or the books not in KU, all the authors below have agreed to provide free digital review copies in exchange for a review. Just send them a PM.
The books on the top of the list need the most help. (Arranged by lowest review numbers to highest.)

(Paranormal Mystery/Romance) - Moonlight Roses & Murder - Lorri Moulton - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 8 Reviews)

Offline lincolnjcole

• Ohio
  • Storyteller
    • View Profile
    • Lincoln Cole
« Reply #2044 on: June 05, 2017, 10:15:39 AM »

Sorry to hear that. Good luck with your launch.

Offline Knox

• View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: June 05, 2017, 11:18:11 AM »
I got my rejection for my mystery novel yesterday. I'm not ready to self-pub just yet. Let me know if you'd like an advance copy. I'm curious if your thoughts match all the other mystery readers thoughts.

Sorry about your rejection, but welcome! I've got some from the list to check out/review at the moment, along with others, so I don't think I have time for advance reading. But I'll be glad to take a look down the road, hit me up! And same here, let me know if you'd be interested in reading/reviewing Impulse Spy (it's also on Unlimited).

Offline JulianneQJohnson

• Indianapolis
    • View Profile
    • Julianne Q Johnson- pictures and words
« Reply #2046 on: June 05, 2017, 11:30:05 AM »

Sorry to hear it.  Don't fret about the speed of the rejection, KS has had a bit of a backlog, and I think they are pushing to catch up.  Timing of the rejection doesn't seem to reflect on the quality of the book.

Did you have many page views?  I can see the appeal of submitting to a different publisher now, but keep in mind the longer it takes you to publish, the less likely your folks who nominated it are to buy.  That might not matter is you are going with another publisher, but even then, don't forget to use the button on your campaign to tell your nominators when it's available on Amazon.

Good luck to you!

Offline Jada Ryker

• Bardstown, Kentucky
  • Backpacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: June 09, 2017, 03:25:17 AM »
I am now actually grateful for the fact that my Scout email took several days before going out, after I pushed the button.
Hi, all, I'm here after my KS book The Freak Show Below wasn't selected. Given the excellent books that weren't selected (I've read a good number of them from Kboards authors on this and the nomination thread), I'm choosing to take not getting selected as a compliment :) Onward and upward!

I read back through this thread. Great information! I haven't hit the button yet for the email to go out, but I'm planning to soon. It sounds as though the email to nominators could take several days or in Dan's case two hours.

Does anyone else want to weigh in on the time between clicking and emails to nominators?

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #2048 on: June 09, 2017, 04:00:20 AM »
Hi, all, I'm here after my KS book The Freak Show Below wasn't selected. Given the excellent books that weren't selected (I've read a good number of them from Kboards authors on this and the nomination thread), I'm choosing to take not getting selected as a compliment :) Onward and upward!

I read back through this thread. Great information! I haven't hit the button yet for the email to go out, but I'm planning to soon. It sounds as though the email to nominators could take several days or in Dan's case two hours.

Does anyone else want to weigh in on the time between clicking and emails to nominators?

Welcome. In most cases the notification seems to go out promptly, as in the same day, but it's tough to incorporate that email into your marketing strategy since you never know! Your last book looks awesome. You're sure to do well with it.

Offline Jada Ryker

• Bardstown, Kentucky
  • Backpacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: June 11, 2017, 06:56:05 AM »
Thank you again to everyone who supported The Freak Show Below Kindle Scout campaign. I promised a free copy even if it was not selected. The book is free on Amazon now. Here are Amazon links, or you can click on the book in my signature.

Amazon US:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072MJHB1F
Amazon UK:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072MJHB1F
Amazon Canada:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B072MJHB1F
Amazon Australia:
https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B072MJHB1F