Author Topic: The "My Book Wasn't Accepted for Kindle Scout, Now What?" Thread  (Read 92180 times)  

Offline J.G. McKenney

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
    • J.G. McKenney
Re: The "My Book Wasn't Accepted for Kindle Scout, Now What?" Thread
« Reply #2050 on: June 13, 2017, 04:11:03 PM »
Was rejected by KS today and told about this thread. I'm curious to know what price you think would be the best for a launch, based on results. Sorry if it's been asked before. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 05:14:43 AM by J.G. McKenney »

Online Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #2051 on: June 13, 2017, 04:24:28 PM »
Was rejected by KS toady and told about this thread. I'm curious to know what price you think would be the best for a launch, based on results. Sorry if it's been asked before.

I'm sorry but there is no easy answer to that since it's dependent on a number of factors, from the length and genre of your book, to your own personal marketing strategy. Some people do a week at 0.99 and run promos, then raise the price. Others start at full price.

Kay L Ling | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter

Online Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #2052 on: June 13, 2017, 06:11:54 PM »
Hi All! Sorry I've been MIA. I have so many writing projects going right now, that I can't keep up on anything! (Not to mention those other things in my life that I have to give attention to too...like my family...and that job thing that keeps getting in the way.)

Here's an updated list:

** Kindle Scout Survivor Books in Need of Reviews **

Remember, to get on the list, you need to have reviewed a book on the list (pick whichever one interests you & contact the author for a digital copy or read in Kindle Unlimited.) Once you hit 20 reviews, you'll fall off the list. (Or sooner, if you like.) Let me know if I missed anyone. (Also, I'm throwing in a reminder that we have a private Facebook group you can join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/873131669496666/permalink/904011373075362/)

Please keep reading. The more you review, the more this system will work.

Books to Review: Remember, no review swaps i.e. exchanging reviews with a single author. If you don't have KU or the books not in KU, all the authors below have agreed to provide free digital review copies in exchange for a review. Just send them a PM.
The books on the top of the list need the most help. (Arranged by lowest review numbers to highest.)

(Paranormal Romance) - Frozen Perfection - Rae B. Lake - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 1 Reviews)
(Contemporary Romance-YA) - One Broken Day - Melissa MacVicar - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 3 Reviews)
(Action/Adventure/Sci-Fi) Sixteen Sunsets - Mark Gardner - (Has 7 Reviews)
(Paranormal Mystery/Romance) - Moonlight Roses & Murder - Lorri Moulton - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 8 Reviews)
(Dystopian) Atmospheric Pressure - Aaron Frale - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 11 Reviews)
(Fantasy) Shadowglade - Kay L. Ling - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 11 Reviews)
(Fantasy / Children's) Shadowbane - Paul Francois (Has 14 Reviews)
(Clean Romance) What Lies Beneath the Mask - Laura Greenwood - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 14 Reviews)
(Fantasy) The Soul Guide - Kelly Stock - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 19 Reviews)
(Contemporary Romance) Englishwoman in Paris - Jenny O'Brien - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 19 Reviews)

If anyone wants to read my book, I'm one review away from qualifying for a few promos I'd like to enter.  I have nine so far! :)
https://www.amazon.com/Moonlight-Roses-Murder-Paranormal-Mystery-ebook/dp/B06Y1FTL51

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter

Offline BillyDeCarlo

• View Profile
    • Billy DeCarlo, Author
« Reply #2053 on: June 14, 2017, 03:08:10 AM »
Was rejected by KS toady and told about this thread. I'm curious to know what price you think would be the best for a launch, based on results. Sorry if it's been asked before.

I went with 99 cents for a month and promoting the heck out of it for the whole month (including AMS ads), as well as making sure that book two of the series is up for pre-order at the regular 2.99 price (US currency).
Vigilante Angels Book I: The Priest: 100%

Vigilante Angels Book II: The Cop: 100%

Vigilante Angels Book III: The Candidate: 100%
Vigilante Angels Series Books I, II, III all available on Amazon!
Billy DeCarlo | Website/blog | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Amazon | BookBub | Goodreads | LibraryThing | Pronoun

Online Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #2054 on: June 14, 2017, 03:14:53 AM »
I went with 99 cents for a month and promoting the heck out of it for the whole month (including AMS ads), as well as making sure that book two of the series is up for pre-order at the regular 2.99 price (US currency).

That sounds like a good plan. Let us know how it goes. Are you spacing out the promos? I have Kindle Countdown Deals running on both my books starting tomorrow. I probably have a month worth of promos compressed into a week!

Offline BillyDeCarlo

• View Profile
    • Billy DeCarlo, Author
« Reply #2055 on: June 14, 2017, 03:35:16 AM »
That sounds like a good plan. Let us know how it goes. Are you spacing out the promos? I have Kindle Countdown Deals running on both my books starting tomorrow. I probably have a month worth of promos compressed into a week!

Yes, spacing them out through the month, to try to keep that sales chart pointing upward, not downward. I think this is the advice that Chris Fox gives in his marketing book and what he does, as he's posted here. So far, so good. It's taken me from six-digit rankings to five digit, to finally cresting into four digit and I'm only half way through the month, with some of my heavy hitters coming up. I'm learning a lot about which marketing/promo services work (for me) so that I can apply that to my subsequent books.

Billy DeCarlo | Website/blog | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Amazon | BookBub | Goodreads | LibraryThing | Pronoun

Online Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #2056 on: June 14, 2017, 04:47:49 AM »
Yes, spacing them out through the month, to try to keep that sales chart pointing upward, not downward. I think this is the advice that Chris Fox gives in his marketing book and what he does, as he's posted here. So far, so good. It's taken me from six-digit rankings to five digit, to finally cresting into four digit and I'm only half way through the month, with some of my heavy hitters coming up. I'm learning a lot about which marketing/promo services work (for me) so that I can apply that to my subsequent books.

If you have time, list the ones you're using, and if you don't want to record sales volume, maybe just a notation of which you found worthwhile. If you're interested in my prior promos, I always post a rundown here. You can search this thread for my posts.

Offline BillyDeCarlo

• View Profile
    • Billy DeCarlo, Author
« Reply #2057 on: June 14, 2017, 05:25:04 AM »
If you have time, list the ones you're using, and if you don't want to record sales volume, maybe just a notation of which you found worthwhile. If you're interested in my prior promos, I always post a rundown here. You can search this thread for my posts.

I definitely will. I love when folks take the time to post those. We always have to remember that there are other factors, and what works for one author/book may well be a waste of money for another. There has been some conversation about BookRunes and I'm on their schedule for tomorrow. I was able to avoid spending money on Books Machine because of posts I read here. In any case, I'll post my experiences after I get through it.

Offline Jada Ryker

• Bardstown, Kentucky
  • Backpacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: June 16, 2017, 04:50:11 AM »
I posted this on the other thread, so thought I'd post here as well.

Happy Friday! Some of us have used Tom Swyers' great suggestion of offering our KS book for free regardless if selected or non selected.

I wrote a blog post with the steps I followed from publishing to getting the book into the hands of the readers. It's available here: http://jadaryker.com/?p=441

I also discussed promotion options for the free days:
* Free: readper, Awesome Gang, Book Deal Hunter, Armadillo eBooks, eReaderLove, Content Mo

I'm not a proponent of paying a lot of money for promoting free books. I do see a correlation between free books and KENP; when one goes up, so does the other.
* Paid: Ignite Your Book (99 cents), Snick List ($1.00)
* You could also use a tool like Book Marketing Tool for $29.99 to more easily submit (some 26 sites)
* I also included Tom's link to a list of free and paid sites.

Online Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #2059 on: June 16, 2017, 05:06:50 AM »
I posted this on the other thread, so thought I'd post here as well.

Happy Friday! Some of us have used Tom Swyers' great suggestion of offering our KS book for free regardless if selected or non selected.

I wrote a blog post with the steps I followed from publishing to getting the book into the hands of the readers. It's available here: http://jadaryker.com/?p=441

I also discussed promotion options for the free days:
* Free: readper, Awesome Gang, Book Deal Hunter, Armadillo eBooks, eReaderLove, Content Mo

I'm not a proponent of paying a lot of money for promoting free books. I do see a correlation between free books and KENP; when one goes up, so does the other.
* Paid: Ignite Your Book (99 cents), Snick List ($1.00)
* You could also use a tool like Book Marketing Tool for $29.99 to more easily submit (some 26 sites)
* I also included Tom's link to a list of free and paid sites.

Great info, thanks for sharing.

On my current Kindle Countdown Deal (6-15-6/21) I finally applied to a few sites that state "inclusion not guaranteed." I have enough promos lined up that I figured why not try? Any that took Shadowglade at no charge would simply augment my sales. To my surprise, most responded immediately with the Congratulations! email. One didn't notify me but included me yesterday. And there's one I haven't heard from.

Here's the list of the no charge inclusions:
Pretty Hot
ebookasaurus
Bookoftheday.org
eBooks Habit
Discount Bookman
Awesome Gang
My Book Place

Also, I'm in Book Hippo in the U.K. today. They never charge, but are fussy about what they include. If your book is accepted, they'd like a donation but it isn't required.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 05:11:39 AM by Kay7979 »

Offline shansunr

• Chennai, India
    • View Profile
    • MIBU & The New Millennium
« Reply #2060 on: June 17, 2017, 11:11:53 AM »
Thanks Kay for starting and referring me to this thread. Just realised it is the same thread Jada also referred in another fb thread. Have a question. I just made my book available on Amazon yesterday and is on a free promotion today and tomorrow. I informed my scouts this morning but I don't think mails have gone out yet. If they are going to send the mails after tomorrow, they will not get my book free. how long it takes for Amazon to send mails to my scouts? Btw, here's the link to my book if you would like to read https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071KGFF5K
Also, can someone point me to info on how to add your books in your signature here.

Shan R | Shan blog | Facebook | Twitter

Online Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #2061 on: June 17, 2017, 11:32:50 AM »
Thanks Kay for starting and referring me to this thread. Just realised it is the same thread Jada also referred in another fb thread. Have a question. I just made my book available on Amazon yesterday and is on a free promotion today and tomorrow. I informed my scouts this morning but I don't think mails have gone out yet. If they are going to send the mails after tomorrow, they will not get my book free. how long it takes for Amazon to send mails to my scouts? Btw, here's the link to my book if you would like to read https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071KGFF5K
Also, can someone point me to info on how to add your books in your signature here.

Usually Amazon's notification emails go out a few hours after you press the button saying they should notify folks. Sadly, there are exceptions.

Go here to make your signature line. https://www.kboards.com/authorsig/

Offline Joynell Schultz

• Wisconsin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Author Page
« Reply #2062 on: June 17, 2017, 02:01:50 PM »
Here's an updated list:

** Kindle Scout Survivor Books in Need of Reviews **

Remember, to get on the list, you need to have reviewed a book on the list (pick whichever one interests you & contact the author for a digital copy or read in Kindle Unlimited.) Once you hit 20 reviews, you'll fall off the list. (Or sooner, if you like.) Let me know if I missed anyone. (Also, I'm throwing in a reminder that we have a private Facebook group you can join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/873131669496666/permalink/904011373075362/)

Please keep reading. The more you review, the more this system will work.

Books to Review: Remember, no review swaps i.e. exchanging reviews with a single author. If you don't have KU or the books not in KU, all the authors below have agreed to provide free digital review copies in exchange for a review. Just send them a PM.
The books on the top of the list need the most help. (Arranged by lowest review numbers to highest.)

(Paranormal Romance) - Frozen Perfection - Rae B. Lake - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 2 Reviews)
(Action/Adventure/Sci-Fi) Sixteen Sunsets - Mark Gardner - (Has 7 Reviews)
(Contemporary Romance-YA) - One Broken Day - Melissa MacVicar - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 9 Reviews)
(Paranormal Mystery/Romance) - Moonlight Roses & Murder - Lorri Moulton - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 10 Reviews)
(Dystopian) Atmospheric Pressure - Aaron Frale - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 11 Reviews)
(Fantasy) Shadowglade - Kay L. Ling - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 12 Reviews)
(Fantasy / Children's) Shadowbane - Paul Francois (Has 14 Reviews)
(Mystery) Impulse Spy - Carrie Ann Knox (Has 19 Reviews)
(Fantasy) The Soul Guide - Kelly Stock - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 19 Reviews)

Offline Jennifer Bull

• View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: June 18, 2017, 06:58:49 AM »

I know an author who clicked the button to inform her scouts on a Friday (about 3pm if I recall correctly) and another author who clicked the button on his the following Mon (not sure what time). Their emails went out together at 6pm on the Monday. If you pushed the button yesterday (Sat), I doubt it'll go out until Monday, but who knows what time. I hope it makes it before the free promo ends!
Jennifer Bull | Facebook | Twitter | Website
The Paper Scientist | Tools for Writers (including character booklets, scene cards, and pre-made book covers) available on Etsy

Offline TT Rankin

• Menomonee Falls, WI
    • View Profile
So the Scout Team made me wait 14 days on my book A Return To Fallbrook just to let me wake up to the news on Fathers Day that I wasn't picked. Happy Fathers Day! 😃

I'm good with it though, I'll take the extra profits for my hard work. AND looks like I'm in some amazingly talented company over here.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline Michael Sussman

• Cambridge, MA
    • View Profile
    • MichaelSussmanBooks.com
« Reply #2065 on: June 18, 2017, 08:26:11 AM »
Tough news, TT, but I like your attitude!
Happy Father's Day!

Michael Sussman | MichaelSussmanBooks.com

Offline shansunr

• Chennai, India
    • View Profile
    • MIBU & The New Millennium
« Reply #2066 on: June 18, 2017, 10:46:16 AM »
Usually Amazon's notification emails go out a few hours after you press the button saying they should notify folks. Sadly, there are exceptions.

Go here to make your signature line. https://www.kboards.com/authorsig/

Thanks! got it!

Shan R | Shan blog | Facebook | Twitter

Offline HilaryM

• View Profile
So the Scout Team made me wait 14 days on my book A Return To Fallbrook just to let me wake up to the news on Fathers Day that I wasn't picked. Happy Fathers Day! 😃

I'm good with it though, I'll take the extra profits for my hard work. AND looks like I'm in some amazingly talented company over here.

I'm in review and just a little behind you time-wise. Continuously refreshing the page and seeing you still hanging in there - and having nominated A Return To Fallbrook! - I was getting excited and sure you had been picked.  :(

Hilary Murray | Website | Facebook

Offline TT Rankin

• Menomonee Falls, WI
    • View Profile
I'm in review and just a little behind you time-wise. Continuously refreshing the page and seeing you still hanging in there - and having nominated A Return To Fallbrook! - I was getting excited and sure you had been picked.  :(
Thanks Hilary, I had high hopes too, appreciate the nomination anyway. I really hope your news is better! Best of luck!

Offline TT Rankin

• Menomonee Falls, WI
    • View Profile
Tough news, TT, but I like your attitude!
Happy Father's Day!
Thanks Michael!

Online ID Johnson

• Texas
    • View Profile

I'm really sorry (and surprised) to hear that. I thought you had it.  :( But you are definitely in good company. There are a lot of books that were rejected recently doing quite well in ranking, and I'm sure Return to Fallbrook will do just fine. This is a great place to get info before your launch if you're going to self-publish. Best of luck!

Offline TT Rankin

• Menomonee Falls, WI
    • View Profile
I'm really sorry (and surprised) to hear that. I thought you had it.  :( But you are definitely in good company. There are a lot of books that were rejected recently doing quite well in ranking, and I'm sure Return to Fallbrook will do just fine. This is a great place to get info before your launch if you're going to self-publish. Best of luck!
Thanks ID, I felt the same when Moon didn't make it. I like to think everything happens for a reason.☺

Online Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books

Good luck, Hilary!  I nominated your book. :)

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter

Online ID Johnson

• Texas
    • View Profile
Thanks ID, I felt the same when Moon didn't make it. I like to think everything happens for a reason.☺
Thank you! I appreciate that. I agree--things do happen for a reason. Things have fallen off a bit now that it's been a month, but I've never sold anywhere near 200 copies of the same book in one month before Moon, so it has been a success for me!

Online ID Johnson

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: June 19, 2017, 10:23:10 AM »
I am going to be setting up my Instafreebie account later this week and giving away a novelette based on my paranormal romance series to try and grow my practically non-existent email list. (Thanks to Alexa Kang for all of your help and answering all of my questions about Instafreebie!) I'm hopeful that having a mailing list will help with my next Kindle Scout attempt later in the summer or early fall. Since I am transitioning from working full-time as an educator to working full-time as a writer, funds are extremely limited, so I have been searching for some inexpensive (but not cheap looking!) premade covers to use on Instafreebie and I found a graphic designer on Etsy who does great work and is having a sale right now.  I wanted to pass it along in case any of you are in a similar boat.  Here's the link to The Graphics Shed: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheGraphicsShed
I don't know her personally or anything, but I did find a couple of really nice premades for $5-$20 which will work perfectly for my Instafreebies. I will be looking at her for my upcoming novels as well.