Author Topic: The "My Book Wasn't Accepted for Kindle Scout, Now What?" Thread  (Read 111952 times)  

Offline Jennifer Bull

• View Profile
So the Scout Team made me wait 14 days on my book A Return To Fallbrook just to let me wake up to the news on Fathers Day that I wasn't picked. Happy Fathers Day! 😃

I'm good with it though, I'll take the extra profits for my hard work. AND looks like I'm in some amazingly talented company over here.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sorry, TT! I think that's the longest I've seen for a response. Good luck with your release!
Jennifer Bull | Facebook | Twitter | Website
The Paper Scientist | Tools for Writers (including character booklets, scene cards, and pre-made book covers) available on Etsy

Offline HilaryM

• View Profile
Re: The "My Book Wasn't Accepted for Kindle Scout, Now What?" Thread
« Reply #2076 on: June 19, 2017, 03:08:45 PM »
Good morning from a cold but bright and sunny NZ!

Received my rejection email an hour ago and while disappointed, at long last I feel motivated again! Of course, that could die away over the next twenty-four hours and I could end up sobbing into a glass of wine, but the last six weeks have not been good for my mojo. Unable to get down to any serious writing, because of course... well... um... who knows what might be around the corner... now I can take back control. And that suits me!

In fact, I've learned so much more about marketing and advertising and what to do next from everyone here that I actually feel quite excited.  :D

Onwards and upwards!

Hilary Murray | Website | Facebook

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #2077 on: June 19, 2017, 03:16:58 PM »

Received my rejection email an hour ago and while disappointed, at long last I feel motivated again! Of course, that could die away over the next twenty-four hours and I could end up sobbing into a glass of wine, but the last six weeks have not been good for my mojo. Unable to get down to any serious writing, because of course... well... um... who knows what might be around the corner... now I can take back control. And that suits me!

In fact, I've learned so much more about marketing and advertising and what to do next from everyone here that I actually feel quite excited.  :D

Onwards and upwards!

I think everyone who tries Kindle Scout comes away learning tons about marketing, and it's a great way to make friends among some very supportive writers. Feel free to spend 24 hours crying and smashing things, then go on with your plan B.

Offline TT Rankin

• Menomonee Falls, WI
    • View Profile
Sorry, TT! I think that's the longest I've seen for a response. Good luck with your release!
Thanks Jennifer!

Offline TT Rankin

• Menomonee Falls, WI
    • View Profile

Onwards and upwards!
I just got the email about No Place in Eden 🙁 Very sorry to hear that Hilary. The Scout Team has been incredibly stingy this month.

I was in a similar funk as you during the course of the campaign, and though it took a solid day to get past, the drive has begun to creep back...sounds like yours will to. I wish you the best of luck with your launch!

Offline byjehunter

• View Profile
    • J. E. Hunter
« Reply #2080 on: June 20, 2017, 07:45:33 AM »
I got my rejection about a week ago and put Under Jupiter up on Kindle yesterday. Now to see how it does! I've decided to offer it free for today and tomorrow (June 20th and 21st), mostly as a thank you to my few newsletter subscibers. You can find Under Jupiter on the US Store here: https://www.amazon.com/Under-Jupiter-J-E-Hunter-ebook/dp/B072VT38R8/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1497969605&sr=1-1&keywords=under+jupiter

It's so nice to see some familiar faces here!

J. E. Hunter | Blog

Offline Jennifer Bull

• View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: June 20, 2017, 11:56:49 AM »

Onwards and upwards!

Sorry, Hilary :( Best of luck with your release!
The Paper Scientist | Tools for Writers (including character booklets, scene cards, and pre-made book covers) available on Etsy

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #2082 on: June 20, 2017, 01:13:44 PM »
** Kindle Scout Survivor Books in Need of Reviews **
(Action/Adventure/Sci-Fi) Sixteen Sunsets - Mark Gardner - (Has 7 Reviews)
Hey Joy, now that War of the Worlds: Retaliation is in Kindle Unlimited, and I'm trying to get a Hugo Award next year, lets add it back to the list:
(Sci-Fi/Historical Fiction) War of the Worlds: Retaliation - Mark Gardner - (Has 16 Reviews)

Also, (I don't know if it'll make a difference) can you change the genre of Sixteen Sunsets to (Sci-Fi/Superhero)?

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #2083 on: June 21, 2017, 08:26:49 AM »
Welcome to all the new arrivals I haven't greeted. If you haven't seen it upthread, we have a review program for KS alumni. In order to be added to the list to have your book reviewed, you read and a review a book on the list. The idea is that we do not "exchange reviews." If you read my book, I don't review yours--someone else will. We want reviews to be honest. I recommend looking through the list to see what interests you, then read the blurb and some of the Look Inside to make sure you're comfortable with the quality of the writing and editing.

My second book, Shadowglade, is on the list. (Book shown in my signature line) This is the final day of my Kindle Countdown Deal in the U.S. and the U.K. I'm willing to provide anyone a free MOBI or ePub file to review, but if you don't mind spending 0.99, you would be able to leave a verified review. I often do that for others here who have books on sale.

Thanks in advance if any of you are interested. A few pages back I gave some details about the promos I booked for this Countdown Deal, and I'll be doing a wrap-up post tomorrow with total of books sold and which promos gave me the best results.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 08:29:14 AM by Kay7979 »

Offline Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #2084 on: June 21, 2017, 09:05:45 AM »
Here's an updated list:

Remember, to get on the list, you need to have reviewed a book on the list (pick whichever one interests you & contact the author for a digital copy or read in Kindle Unlimited.) Once you hit 20 reviews, you'll fall off the list. (Or sooner, if you like.) Let me know if I missed anyone. (Also, I'm throwing in a reminder that we have a private Facebook group you can join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/873131669496666/permalink/904011373075362/)

Please keep reading. The more you review, the more this system will work.

Books to Review: Remember, no review swaps i.e. exchanging reviews with a single author. If you don't have KU or the books not in KU, all the authors below have agreed to provide free digital review copies in exchange for a review. Just send them a PM.
The books on the top of the list need the most help. (Arranged by lowest review numbers to highest.)

(Paranormal Romance) - Frozen Perfection - Rae B. Lake - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 2 Reviews)
(Action/Adventure/Sci-Fi) Sixteen Sunsets - Mark Gardner - (Has 7 Reviews)
(Contemporary Romance-YA) - One Broken Day - Melissa MacVicar - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 9 Reviews)
(Paranormal Mystery/Romance) - Moonlight Roses & Murder - Lorri Moulton - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 10 Reviews)
(Dystopian) Atmospheric Pressure - Aaron Frale - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 11 Reviews)
(Fantasy) Shadowglade - Kay L. Ling - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 12 Reviews)
(Fantasy / Children's) Shadowbane - Paul Francois (Has 14 Reviews)
(Mystery) Impulse Spy - Carrie Ann Knox (Has 19 Reviews)
(Fantasy) The Soul Guide - Kelly Stock - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 19 Reviews)

Here's the list...and we could all use some more reviews!

Many books are on KU, but we can send you a copy if you need one.   Thank you. :)

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Books2Read

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #2085 on: June 22, 2017, 06:05:37 AM »
My double-header Kindle Countdown promo ended yesterday with a total of 435 sales between both books. I wasn't sure if this method would be successful, but I think I did OK. Most of the promos featured book 2, Shadowglade. Only a few featured Beyond the Forest. Sales data often updated with two books at a time, one of each, so I got crossover sales between books.

Prior to this promo, I still had also-viewed rather than also-boughts for Shadowglade, even though the book had been out for 60 days. I don't think I get many sales from also-boughts, but many people do, so I'm hoping I start to get some results now that I have 20 pages of also-boughts. 

Online Joynell Schultz

• Wisconsin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Author Page
« Reply #2086 on: June 22, 2017, 06:20:44 AM »
Here's an updated list:

Remember, to get on the list, you need to have reviewed a book on the list (pick whichever one interests you & contact the author for a digital copy or read in Kindle Unlimited.) Once you hit 20 reviews, you'll fall off the list. (Or sooner, if you like.) Let me know if I missed anyone. (Also, I'm throwing in a reminder that we have a private Facebook group you can join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/873131669496666/permalink/904011373075362/)

Books to Review: Remember, no review swaps i.e. exchanging reviews with a single author. If you don't have KU or the books not in KU, all the authors below have agreed to provide free digital review copies in exchange for a review. Just send them a PM.
The books on the top of the list need the most help. (Arranged by lowest review numbers to highest.)

(Paranormal Romance) - Frozen Perfection - Rae B. Lake - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 2 Reviews)
(Sci-Fi/Superhero) Sixteen Sunsets - Mark Gardner - (Has 7 Reviews)
(Contemporary Romance-YA) - One Broken Day - Melissa MacVicar - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 9 Reviews)
(Paranormal Mystery/Romance) - Moonlight Roses & Murder - Lorri Moulton - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 10 Reviews)
(Dystopian) Atmospheric Pressure - Aaron Frale - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 11 Reviews)
(Sci-Fi/Historical Fiction) War of the Worlds: Retaliation - Mark Gardner - (Has 16 Reviews)

Online Joynell Schultz

• Wisconsin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Author Page
« Reply #2087 on: June 22, 2017, 06:23:14 AM »
I got my rejection about a week ago and put Under Jupiter up on Kindle yesterday. Now to see how it does!
It's so nice to see some familiar faces here!

Your novel covers are beautiful! (And sorry about the rejection.)

My double-header Kindle Countdown promo ended yesterday with a total of 435 sales between both books.

Kay - I really love your updates! Thanks for your passion in this group.

Offline lincolnjcole

• Ohio
  • Storyteller
    • View Profile
    • Lincoln Cole
« Reply #2088 on: June 22, 2017, 07:17:10 AM »
My double-header Kindle Countdown promo ended yesterday with a total of 435 sales between both books. I wasn't sure if this method would be successful, but I think I did OK. Most of the promos featured book 2, Shadowglade. Only a few featured Beyond the Forest. Sales data often updated with two books at a time, one of each, so I got crossover sales between books.

Prior to this promo, I still had also-viewed rather than also-boughts for Shadowglade, even though the book had been out for 60 days. I don't think I get many sales from also-boughts, but many people do, so I'm hoping I start to get some results now that I have 20 pages of also-boughts.

That is super awesome! Congratulations!

Offline Knox

• View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: June 22, 2017, 09:58:00 AM »
Here's an updated list:

Impulse Spy is also in Kindle Unlimited. Would you mind updating the listing to reflect that?
It is also 99c for the next few days.

Offline Patrick Tylee

• Vail, Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Patrick Tylee
« Reply #2090 on: June 23, 2017, 12:56:07 PM »
Hi everyone.
Disappointed that I'm qualified to join this thread, TBH but...
Pleased that there's a place to come to share and learn with others in the same boat.

Question about ebook cover images and how they present in the ebook file.

When you upload your cover image and interior to KDP, do they convert the cover image and splice the code into the ebook file so that the cover shows up in the GO TO table of contents on the Kindle?

Or is the uploaded cover image only used on the Amazon sales page and the ebook file merely starts with the title page?

My previous books on Amazon were professionally prepared by a third party and the covers show up in the TOCs.
I don't have the expensive Adobe software to pull that off.
Is it worth it?

thanks.

Offline Jennifer Bull

• View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: June 23, 2017, 02:08:11 PM »
Hi everyone.
Disappointed that I'm qualified to join this thread, TBH but...
Pleased that there's a place to come to share and learn with others in the same boat.

Question about ebook cover images and how they present in the ebook file.

When you upload your cover image and interior to KDP, do they convert the cover image and splice the code into the ebook file so that the cover shows up in the GO TO table of contents on the Kindle?

Or is the uploaded cover image only used on the Amazon sales page and the ebook file merely starts with the title page?

My previous books on Amazon were professionally prepared by a third party and the covers show up in the TOCs.
I don't have the expensive Adobe software to pull that off.
Is it worth it?

thanks.

Sorry you've had to join us, but welcome!

I uploaded the manuscript (text only) and the cover separately (as I believe you're supposed to) and the cover does show in the ToC on Kindle. I used Scrivener for formatting the manuscript as I find it does a really good job.

Offline Jennifer Bull

• View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: June 23, 2017, 02:11:16 PM »
Well, I finally got my KS book released on Kindle yesterday! It's on a 0.99 launch promo for a couple of weeks, and it's free for anyone with Kindle Unlimited (or Prime, I believe). Link: http://mybook.to/DeadCloseToReality :) Hope everyone's doing well?

Offline BillyDeCarlo

• View Profile
    • Billy DeCarlo, Author
« Reply #2093 on: June 23, 2017, 05:41:03 PM »
Here's an updated list:

Joynell,

I just finished Atmospheric Pressure, which was on the list, and reviewed it on Amazon. Can you post my book on the list? I'd like more reviews.
Vigilante Angels Book I: The Priest (99cents and also on Kindle Unlimited)

Thanks, Fellow Non-Picked Scout!

All available WIDE!
Billy DeCarlo | Website/blog | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Amazon | BookBub | Goodreads | LibraryThing | Patreon

Offline Michael Sussman

• Cambridge, MA
    • View Profile
    • MichaelSussmanBooks.com
« Reply #2094 on: June 25, 2017, 07:59:57 AM »
Just received this email from KS. How do you arrange for "early access" for Scouts who nominated your book?

"The release date of June 27, 2017 for the Kindle Scout book you helped bring to life is fast approaching, but its not too late to get your copy of Deadly Choices before other readers do!

You have early access to this book thanks to your great work as a Kindle Scout, and by downloading your free book now, it will be ready and waiting on your Kindle when you have time to delve into a new story. Happy reading!"

Michael Sussman | MichaelSussmanBooks.com

Offline Jennifer Bull

• View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: June 25, 2017, 08:20:57 AM »
Just received this email from KS. How do you arrange for "early access" for Scouts who nominated your book?

"The release date of June 27, 2017 for the Kindle Scout book you helped bring to life is fast approaching, but its not too late to get your copy of Deadly Choices before other readers do!

You have early access to this book thanks to your great work as a Kindle Scout, and by downloading your free book now, it will be ready and waiting on your Kindle when you have time to delve into a new story. Happy reading!"

That's for selected books -- it's reminding you to download the book you nominated, which was selected by Kindle Press. We--those, ahem, declined by Scout--can't offer early access or free copies to people who nominated us, unfortunately.

Offline Dan Petrosini author

• View Profile
    • Dan's website
« Reply #2096 on: June 26, 2017, 05:46:27 AM »

Hi Kay
Can you explain what you did?  Double?  how did you promote the 'event'? Thanks dan

My work in progress: 40%
Dan Petrosini | blog

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #2097 on: June 26, 2017, 11:04:57 AM »
Hi Kay
Can you explain what you did?  Double?  how did you promote the 'event'? Thanks dan

I'm not sure how much of this you already know, so forgive me if I explain things that don't need explaining. My books are enrolled in KDP select, which means they're exclusive to Amazon, and eligible for a once-every-90-day promo. I used a Kindle Countdown deal for both books at the same time, in both the U.S. and the U.K. and reduced the price to $0.99. Then, I lined up promos with the various newsletter services that send notifications of discounted books to readers.

In the past, I've only run a countdown deal on one book. Running it on both at the same time was a first. 

Offline Dan Petrosini author

• View Profile
    • Dan's website
« Reply #2098 on: June 26, 2017, 11:07:28 AM »
I'm not sure how much of this you already know, so forgive me if I explain things that don't need explaining. My books are enrolled in KDP select, which means they're exclusive to Amazon, and eligible for a once-every-90-day promo. I used a Kindle Countdown deal for both books at the same time, in both the U.S. and the U.K. and reduced the price to $0.99. Then, I lined up promos with the various newsletter services that send notifications of discounted books to readers.

In the past, I've only run a countdown deal on one book. Running it on both at the same time was a first. 
Thanks!!

My work in progress: 40%
Dan Petrosini | blog

Online Joynell Schultz

• Wisconsin
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Author Page
« Reply #2099 on: June 28, 2017, 03:28:39 PM »
Here's an updated list: a huge THANK YOU to everyone reading & reviewing. :-)

(Paranormal Romance) - Frozen Perfection - Rae B. Lake - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 3 Reviews)
(Contemporary Romance-YA) - One Broken Day - Melissa MacVicar - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 10 Reviews)
(Dystopian) Atmospheric Pressure - Aaron Frale - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 12 Reviews)
(YA Dystopian/Suspense/Thriller) A Sea of Shattered Glass - Kyla Stone - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 14 Reviews)
(Mystery) Impulse Spy - Carrie Ann Knox - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 19 Reviews)
(Crime Fiction) Vigilante Angels Book I: The Priest - Billy DeCarlo - In Kindle Unlimited (Has 23 Reviews)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 03:31:24 PM by Joynell Schultz »