Author Topic: The "My Book Wasn't Accepted for Kindle Scout, Now What?" Thread  (Read 111956 times)  

Offline Nikki Landis Author

• View Profile
Re: The "My Book Wasn't Accepted for Kindle Scout, Now What?" Thread
« Reply #2100 on: July 01, 2017, 04:09:26 PM »
Here's an updated list:

** Kindle Scout Survivor Books in Need of Reviews **

Remember, to get on the list, you need to have reviewed a book on the list (pick whichever one interests you & contact the author for a digital copy or read in Kindle Unlimited.) Once you hit 20 reviews, you'll fall off the list. (Or sooner, if you like.) Let me know if I missed anyone. (Also, I'm throwing in a reminder that we have a private Facebook group you can join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/873131669496666/permalink/904011373075362/)

Please keep reading. The more you review, the more this system will work.

Books to Review: Remember, no review swaps i.e. exchanging reviews with a single author. If you don't have KU or the books not in KU, all the authors below have agreed to provide free digital review copies in exchange for a review. Just send them a PM.
The books on the top of the list need the most help. (Arranged by lowest review numbers to highest.)

(Paranormal Romance) - Frozen Perfection - Rae B. Lake - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 2 Reviews)
(Sci-Fi/Superhero) Sixteen Sunsets - Mark Gardner - (Has 7 Reviews)
(Contemporary Romance-YA) - One Broken Day - Melissa MacVicar - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 9 Reviews)
(Paranormal Mystery/Romance) - Moonlight Roses & Murder - Lorri Moulton - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 10 Reviews)
(Dystopian) Atmospheric Pressure - Aaron Frale - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 11 Reviews)
(Fantasy) Shadowglade - Kay L. Ling - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 12 Reviews)
(Fantasy / Children's) Shadowbane - Paul Francois (Has 14 Reviews)
(Sci-Fi/Historical Fiction) War of the Worlds: Retaliation - Mark Gardner - (Has 16 Reviews)
(Mystery) Impulse Spy - Carrie Ann Knox (Has 19 Reviews)
(Fantasy) The Soul Guide - Kelly Stock - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 19 Reviews)

Hi, just found my way here after my rejection on KS. What a great learning opportunity. My book, Fallen from Grace, is a paranormal romance/dark fantasy. I just released on Amazon and KU. I'd love to be added to that list for reviews. I actually just finished Jennifer's Dead Close to Reality and loved it. Leaving my review now. Glad to meet up with a lot of you and say hi.  :)

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #2101 on: July 01, 2017, 04:16:30 PM »
Hi, just found my way here after my rejection on KS. What a great learning opportunity. My book, Fallen from Grace, is a paranormal romance/dark fantasy. I just released on Amazon and KU. I'd love to be added to that list for reviews. I actually just finished Jennifer's Dead Close to Reality and loved it. Leaving my review now. Glad to meet up with a lot of you and say hi.  :)

Hello and welcome! It's nice to hang out with others who have run campaigns, and you'll meet some who have run multiples. When you've reviewed one of the books on the list above, we can add your book to the list. Most of the authors are in KU, and if not, they'll provide you with a MOBI, ePUB, PDF or whatever type of file you'd like.

Offline Nikki Landis Author

• View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: July 01, 2017, 04:27:11 PM »
Hello and welcome! It's nice to hang out with others who have run campaigns, and you'll meet some who have run multiples. When you've reviewed one of the books on the list above, we can add your book to the list. Most of the authors are in KU, and if not, they'll provide you with a MOBI, ePUB, PDF or whatever type of file you'd like.

Hi! Thank you for clarifying. I've just downloaded Moonlight Roses & Murder on KU and I'll be sure to post the review once finished. Thanks!

Offline Jennifer Bull

• View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: July 02, 2017, 05:03:19 AM »

Aww, I'm glad you liked it! Thanks for leaving me a review :)
Jennifer Bull | Facebook | Twitter | Website
The Paper Scientist | Tools for Writers (including character booklets, scene cards, and pre-made book covers) available on Etsy

Offline Patrick Tylee

• Vail, Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Patrick Tylee
« Reply #2104 on: July 03, 2017, 11:04:57 AM »
Here's an updated list:

Remember, to get on the list, you need to have reviewed a book on the list (pick whichever one interests you & contact the author for a digital copy or read in Kindle Unlimited.) Once you hit 20 reviews, you'll fall off the list. (Or sooner, if you like.) Let me know if I missed anyone. (Also, I'm throwing in a reminder that we have a private Facebook group you can join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/873131669496666/permalink/904011373075362/)

Books to Review: Remember, no review swaps i.e. exchanging reviews with a single author. If you don't have KU or the books not in KU, all the authors below have agreed to provide free digital review copies in exchange for a review. Just send them a PM.
The books on the top of the list need the most help. (Arranged by lowest review numbers to highest.)

(Paranormal Romance) - Frozen Perfection - Rae B. Lake - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 2 Reviews)
(Contemporary Romance-YA) - One Broken Day - Melissa MacVicar - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 9 Reviews)
(Paranormal Mystery/Romance) - Moonlight Roses & Murder - Lorri Moulton - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 10 Reviews)
(Dystopian) Atmospheric Pressure - Aaron Frale - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 11 Reviews)
(Sci-Fi/Historical Fiction) War of the Worlds: Retaliation - Mark Gardner - (Has 16 Reviews)
(Mystery) Impulse Spy - Carrie Ann Knox (Has 19 Reviews)
(Fantasy) The Soul Guide - Kelly Stock - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 19 Reviews)

Good day, KSP Survivors.
Thanks for the life-raft. I find myself needing it.
After 14 days in the waiting room, I was confident that no news is good news.

GONG!

So, here we go with another title on the self-pub path.
I'll connect with Aaron Frale to begin my reviews with Atmospheric Pressure.

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #2105 on: July 03, 2017, 11:09:32 AM »
Good day, KSP Survivors.

GONG!

Very good. Welcome aboard! I went twelve days before getting the "no" so I feel your pain. They've passed on some excellent books, and accepted some that surprised me. I tend to feel that things often come out for the best, so don't be discouraged, and best of luck with your book launch.

Offline Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #2106 on: July 03, 2017, 01:15:41 PM »
Good day, KSP Survivors.

GONG!

Patrick, your book is amazing! Just finished the look inside section and bought it.  I'll leave a review as soon as I'm finished. :)

ETA: Not asking you to review my book. I write romance, but I love sci-fi.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 01:17:26 PM by Lorri Moulton »

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Books2Read

Offline Michael Sussman

• Cambridge, MA
    • View Profile
    • MichaelSussmanBooks.com
« Reply #2107 on: July 03, 2017, 03:34:50 PM »
Does anyone have any advice on the advantages of bookmarks versus postcards for marketing purposes, especially for handing out to people you meet?

Michael Sussman | MichaelSussmanBooks.com

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #2108 on: July 03, 2017, 07:51:30 PM »
I don't know if anyone cares, but my collaborative hard sci-fi space disaster novel that was rejected my Kindle Scout comes out on July 4th, 2017: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0721VCMC6/

It's in Kindle Unlimited. It only has 3 reviews. Any sharing, reviewing, etc, would be greatly appreciated.

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #2109 on: July 03, 2017, 08:02:31 PM »
Does anyone have any advice on the advantages of bookmarks versus postcards for marketing purposes, especially for handing out to people you meet?

I just have vistaprint do business card-sized bookmarks. 500 are only $15 after coupon and shipping.

Edited to add:
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 08:12:46 PM by Mark Gardner »

Offline BillyDeCarlo

• View Profile
    • Billy DeCarlo, Author
« Reply #2110 on: July 04, 2017, 04:35:23 AM »

Definitely bookmarks. Readers cherish them and for hardcore readers like me, it's very difficult to throw one away. Business cards are *far* more likely to get tossed in the garbage.

All available WIDE!
Billy DeCarlo | Website/blog | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Amazon | BookBub | Goodreads | LibraryThing | Patreon

Offline Michael Sussman

• Cambridge, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: July 04, 2017, 06:27:08 AM »
Thanks, Mark & Billy. Bookmarks it is!

Do you design your own with free templates?

Offline BillyDeCarlo

• View Profile
    • Billy DeCarlo, Author
« Reply #2112 on: July 04, 2017, 06:39:16 AM »
Thanks, Mark & Billy. Bookmarks it is!

Do you design your own with free templates?

Actually, since you gave me the the idea, I went on the Vistaprint, Staples, and Canva sites to see what I could do. The first two were pretty horrible, but Canva has a great bookmark template, samples, and tool. In a few minutes I designed one that has the three book covers for my series, a tag line, and "For sale on amazon.com" and downloaded the png file. I'll take that to my local staples for mass production since it's nearby and I get a corporate rate there. I'd attach it here but I haven't revealed my cover for book three and promised my newsletter subscribers they'd get to see it first (which should be end of next week).

I need to see if I can create the barcode scan area like Mark has though. How does one do that? Great idea.

All available WIDE!
Billy DeCarlo | Website/blog | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Amazon | BookBub | Goodreads | LibraryThing | Patreon

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #2113 on: July 04, 2017, 07:53:32 AM »
I don't know if anyone cares, but my collaborative hard sci-fi space disaster novel that was rejected my Kindle Scout comes out on July 4th, 2017: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0721VCMC6/

It's in Kindle Unlimited. It only has 3 reviews. Any sharing, reviewing, etc, would be greatly appreciated.
I care. It may take me a while to get to it--I'm about six months behind on everything in my life at the moment. However, I will get to it eventually.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #2114 on: July 04, 2017, 08:34:30 AM »
I care. It may take me a while to get to it--I'm about six months behind on everything in my life at the moment. However, I will get to it eventually.
Thanks, Bill!

Offline ID Johnson

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2115 on: July 04, 2017, 01:13:05 PM »
Here's an updated list: a huge THANK YOU to everyone reading & reviewing. :-)

(Paranormal Romance) - Frozen Perfection - Rae B. Lake - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 3 Reviews)
(Contemporary Romance-YA) - One Broken Day - Melissa MacVicar - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 10 Reviews)
(Dystopian) Atmospheric Pressure - Aaron Frale - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 12 Reviews)
(YA Dystopian/Suspense/Thriller) A Sea of Shattered Glass - Kyla Stone - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 14 Reviews)
(Mystery) Impulse Spy - Carrie Ann Knox - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 19 Reviews)
(Crime Fiction) Vigilante Angels Book I: The Priest - Billy DeCarlo - In Kindle Unlimited (Has 23 Reviews)

I read and reviewed Impulse Spy by Carrie Ann Knox (wonderful read, by the way!). Would it be possible to add my failed KS entry Beneath the Inconstant Moon to the list, please? It's on KU, currently priced at 3.99. I'm happy to give a free copy to anyone who would like to read it. It currently has 12 reviews. Here's the link if you need it:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072FJQ8GD/

Offline Patrick Tylee

• Vail, Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Patrick Tylee
« Reply #2116 on: July 04, 2017, 06:56:48 PM »
Patrick, your book is amazing! Just finished the look inside section and bought it.  I'll leave a review as soon as I'm finished. :)

ETA: Not asking you to review my book. I write romance, but I love sci-fi.

Lorri,
Thank you so much for the kind words. I truly hope you find the story entertaining.
Your review is much appreciated. I'd like to know what you think of the twist at the end.
I'm okay with happy endings, and there usually is for at least one character in my books.
Remember the old sci-fi story/movie(s) titled Invasion of the Body Snatchers?
Elliot Gould starred in the 1978 remake. Sometimes 'happy' just means that the protagonist learns to survive in hell.  :o

- Patrick

Offline Michael Sussman

• Cambridge, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: July 05, 2017, 12:28:52 PM »
Sometimes 'happy' just means that the protagonist learns to survive in hell.

Nicely put!

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #2118 on: July 09, 2017, 07:43:48 AM »
Some of our earlier participants have drifted off but are hopefully still lurking. Others prefer the Facebook format with individual threads by topic, so spend more time on the Kindle Scout Alumni Facebook group. I'd like to see this thread remain active so KBoard members can migrate here after their campaigns and continue to interact. We have some very knowledgeable and supportive KS alumni.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #2119 on: July 09, 2017, 01:33:40 PM »
Some of our earlier participants have drifted off but are hopefully still lurking. Others prefer the Facebook format with individual threads by topic, so spend more time on the Kindle Scout Alumni Facebook group. I'd like to see this thread remain active so KBoard members can migrate here after their campaigns and continue to interact. We have some very knowledgeable and supportive KS alumni.
I'm always lurking...

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline JulianneQJohnson

• Indianapolis
    • View Profile
    • Julianne Q Johnson- pictures and words
« Reply #2120 on: July 09, 2017, 08:19:08 PM »
I lurk around sometimes as well!

Michael- I like bookmarks.  Readers enjoy them and they are less likely to get thrown away.  I've been using Overnight Prints. They do good work and are fairly priced.  I designed mine in Paint Shop Pro, but they may have some templates available at Overnight Prints.  They do a nice range of styles, and if you want to spend the money, they do double-sided, rounded corner, etc as extras you can add.  I just do small, rectangular, single-sided because it's cheaper and I can get more.

Mark- Hope your launch went great!

Nick of Time is still doing well.  Broke 3k KU page reads today, which is a big deal to a plankton writer like me!

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #2121 on: July 09, 2017, 08:43:03 PM »
Mark- Hope your launch went great!
Thanks. Unfortunately, it didn't go good at all! I launched with 3 positive reviews, and 1 negative review. All four were from NetGalley, and I've sold a whopping two copies. Even my KU page reads are only about a hundred. (KU page count is about 400 or so.) I guess someone started to read it and never finished it. It hasn't been a week yet, but Days Until Home is looking like a flop...

Oh, well, I've got deadlines that I'm not meeting for the next War of the Worlds book. Plus, I'm still negotiating the particulars to my apperance at San Francisco Comic Con in September. I have to be choosey, because Erika won't let me do more than four apperances a year! Sigh, the writer's life, eh?

Offline Patrick Tylee

• Vail, Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Patrick Tylee
« Reply #2122 on: July 10, 2017, 07:30:02 AM »
Atmospheric Pressure and Sixteen Sunsets read and reviewed.

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #2123 on: July 10, 2017, 07:32:03 AM »
Atmospheric Pressure and Sixteen Sunsets read and reviewed.
Awesome! Thanks!

Offline Michael Sussman

• Cambridge, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: July 10, 2017, 08:04:20 AM »
Michael- I like bookmarks.  Readers enjoy them and they are less likely to get thrown away.  I've been using Overnight Prints. They do good work and are fairly priced.  I designed mine in Paint Shop Pro, but they may have some templates available at Overnight Prints.  They do a nice range of styles, and if you want to spend the money, they do double-sided, rounded corner, etc as extras you can add.  I just do small, rectangular, single-sided because it's cheaper and I can get more.

Thanks, Julianne!

I had my business cards printed by Modern Postcard, but I think I'm going to go with GotPrint for the bookmarks--they seem to do quality work at a considerably cheaper rate.

Congrats on Nick of Time!