Author Topic: The "My Book Wasn't Accepted for Kindle Scout, Now What?" Thread  (Read 91603 times)  

Offline Michael Sussman

• Cambridge, MA
    • View Profile
    • MichaelSussmanBooks.com
Re: The "My Book Wasn't Accepted for Kindle Scout, Now What?" Thread
« Reply #2150 on: August 04, 2017, 04:18:33 PM »
Has everyone abandoned this thread? What's going on?

Michael Sussman | MichaelSussmanBooks.com

Online ID Johnson

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: August 04, 2017, 05:27:03 PM »
There are so many options out there for promoting books it's pretty overwhelming. I tried a number of them during my KS campaign and by far the best I discovered was Author Shout, which I'll continue to use. I've also heard good things about Bookbub and Books Butterfly. I've compiled a list of some of the resources available, and am wondering which ones folks have found especially effective and which were a waste of money. Any and all feedback is much appreciated.

Author Buzz
Bargain Booksy
Bloggards Book Hive
Bookbub
Book Butterfly
BookCrossing
BookGorilla
Book Grow
Book Hippo
Book Lemur
BookRunes
Booksends
EReaderNewsToday
Fiverr
FussyLibrarian
Google Adwords
Instafreebie
Jessica Rose unbouncepages
Jason Reed
Kindle Countdown
Mailerlite
Net Galley
Reedsy
RG Book World
Robin Reads
Vote My Review
Whizbuzz
Wildbound
There's a lot of discussion of Books Butterfly on the boards. I've used it a few times for free books and once for paid. It only worked well for the free giveaways. I think I used it for Kindle Scout, too, but can't remember. Some people will say to never use them, but I think you've got to contact the owner directly and make sure he knows what you want and you've got to make sure your book is free.
I've never gotten a Bookbub before.
Ereader News Today is good, but they are a little more selective.
Recently, I've been very happy with Book Pebble, Book Raid, and My Book Cave for low cost, fairly effective promos. I think you'll have different results if you're looking for a launch as opposed to free/countdown deals.
As for Instafreebie, I wrote two novelettes earlier this summer and have both of those up for free on Instafreebie exclusively, as well as the first part of Beneath the Inconstant Moon (because it's in KU I have to use less than 10%.) I've participated in 3 group giveaways since I signed up and I've had about 500 people sign up for my newsletter. I think some of those people are going on to buy the books associated with the novelettes/preview, but there's not much of a way to know for sure. I think Instafreebie is the single most important resource I've been introduced to through KS. I think it's awesome for list building.
I am sure there are other people who have more experience than I do, but that's what I know about the ones you've listed. Are you planning a launch soon?

Offline Michael Sussman

• Cambridge, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: August 04, 2017, 07:15:48 PM »
Thanks, ID.

Yes, I'm doing a soft launch of my novel, Incognolio, on Aug. 9th.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 11:12:21 PM by Michael Sussman »

Online Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #2153 on: August 04, 2017, 07:24:27 PM »
Best of luck with your launch!  :)

I haven't abandoned the thread...I just don't pay for advertising, so I can't give you any feedback. 

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Michael Sussman

• Cambridge, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: August 04, 2017, 07:29:22 PM »
Thanks, Lorri!

Are we still reviewing each other's novels?

Online Lorri Moulton

• View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #2155 on: August 04, 2017, 07:32:46 PM »
Thanks, Lorri!

Are we still reviewing each other's novels?

Are we?  Did you review mine?  I took it off the list, but I'll add yours to my TBR list if you like. :)

Offline Michael Sussman

• Cambridge, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: August 04, 2017, 07:38:13 PM »
I'm currently reading Patrick's novel, Unimaginary, and really enjoying it.

Online Lorri Moulton

• View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #2157 on: August 04, 2017, 07:43:46 PM »
I'm currently reading Patrick's novel, Unimaginary, and really enjoying it.

So am I.  It's really good!

Online ID Johnson

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: August 04, 2017, 08:04:25 PM »
Thanks, ID.

Yes, I'm doing a soft launch of my novel, Incognolio, on Aug. 9th. I'm not very good at publicity, so I hired an author's assistant via UpWork, but I'm not convinced that she knows what she's doing.
Good luck! When I launched "Moon" I used the three sites I mentioned before (Book Raid, Book Pebble, and My Book Cave) as well a Bookzio and eBook Lister and a few other small ones. I also used a Facebook add and the email from Kindle Scout. I sold about 200 copies the first month at 99 cents so I didn't break even on what I spent on promo, but my goal was to get sticky. It didn't quite work out for me, but I am still doing all right a couple of months after launch and with my price at $3.99 now. I was in the top 10,000 for a bit the first week and stayed in the top 50,000 most of that month. Now we bounce around a bit but have stayed in the top 200,000. It was the best launch I've ever had but that really isn't saying too much since most of mine launch with little to no fanfare whatsoever and no promotion.
It seems like launching at 99 cents has worked out well for a lot of KS alum though. I wouldn't stay there for a whole month like I did. I think that was way too long.

Offline Michael Sussman

• Cambridge, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: August 05, 2017, 10:26:59 AM »
Thanks, ID. It sounds like you're learning with each new release. I've published before, but this is my first attempt at self-publishing and I'm feeling much more stressed out. Luckily, I've taken up abstract painting, and it has really helped me relax and enjoy myself.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 10:40:50 AM by Michael Sussman »

Offline Dan Petrosini author

• View Profile
« Reply #2160 on: August 06, 2017, 12:52:06 PM »
There are so many options out there for promoting books it's pretty overwhelming. I tried a number of them during my KS campaign and by far the best I discovered was Author Shout, which I'll continue to use. I've also heard good things about Bookbub and Books Butterfly. I've compiled a list of some of the resources available, and am wondering which ones folks have found especially effective and which were a waste of money. Any and all feedback is much appreciated.

Author Buzz
Bargain Booksy
Bloggards Book Hive
Bookbub
Book Butterfly
BookCrossing
BookGorilla
Book Grow
Book Hippo
Book Lemur
BookRunes
Booksends
EReaderNewsToday
Fiverr
FussyLibrarian
Google Adwords
Instafreebie
Jessica Rose unbouncepages
Jason Reed
Kindle Countdown
Mailerlite
Net Galley
Reedsy
RG Book World
Robin Reads
Vote My Review
Whizbuzz
Wildbound

Hi Michael, I hope you are well  I haven't been as active on the thread but do check it often.
I have learned tremendously from the folks in this and other threads as well as through my first 4 books. So with The Final Enemy, I think I had a 'plan' to promote and it started w KS.
Next I ran (and continue to) a couple of Amazon ads, 2 Facebook and one Goodreads ad.
Then I used my Newsletter and a few swaps as well.  In regards to book promo sites as others have said, it is difficult if not impossible to break even.  That said, I did use eight and have ENT & Fussy coming up.  What i was able to accomplish was to drive sales (though kept it at 99 cents) and KU downloads.  (I think I will make some money when the KU payments come in as my page reads are very good)  I do think that my efforts, and I tried to make them consistent every 2-3 days is the reason it is ranking very well and sticking there.

In regards to number of sales the best were Readper 35 and Robin Reads 40 (again ENT & Fussy to come)
I've never has success with Book Grow and used Authorbuzz for my last book but it was not any good
Best of luck Dan
My work in progress: 40%
Dan Petrosini | blog

Offline Michael Sussman

• Cambridge, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: August 06, 2017, 01:09:23 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback, Dan. It's great to hear that your efforts are paying off!

Online Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #2162 on: August 06, 2017, 01:37:42 PM »
Hi Michael, I hope you are well  I haven't been as active on the thread but do check it often.
I have learned tremendously from the folks in this and other threads as well as through my first 4 books. So with The Final Enemy, I think I had a 'plan' to promote and it started w KS.
Next I ran (and continue to) a couple of Amazon ads, 2 Facebook and one Goodreads ad.
Then I used my Newsletter and a few swaps as well.  In regards to book promo sites as others have said, it is difficult if not impossible to break even.  That said, I did use eight and have ENT & Fussy coming up.  What i was able to accomplish was to drive sales (though kept it at 99 cents) and KU downloads.  (I think I will make some money when the KU payments come in as my page reads are very good)  I do think that my efforts, and I tried to make them consistent every 2-3 days is the reason it is ranking very well and sticking there.

In regards to number of sales the best were Readper 35 and Robin Reads 40 (again ENT & Fussy to come)
I've never has success with Book Grow and used Authorbuzz for my last book but it was not any good
Best of luck Dan

I'm not familiar with Readper and didn't turn up anything googling them. Do you have a link?

I do well with ENT, Robin Reads, Book Sends, my Book Cave, Bargain Booksy, Genre Pulse, and FKBT etc. A recent newer promo I tried quite successfully is Riffle. It's sort of a Goodreads type site but they do promos too. Their pricing structure is bizarre (and negotiable.) Don't pay over $30.

Kay L Ling | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter

Online ID Johnson

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: August 06, 2017, 06:55:39 PM »
Thanks, ID. It sounds like you're learning with each new release. I've published before, but this is my first attempt at self-publishing and I'm feeling much more stressed out. Luckily, I've taken up abstract painting, and it has really helped me relax and enjoy myself.

Best of luck with your launch and the painting. That sounds like a great way to relieve some stress!

Offline aurichalcyon

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: August 07, 2017, 01:03:20 AM »
As a recent joinee of the Scout program, I'd like ask if anyone can offer their insight on why a book wasn't successfully selected? I.e.: not enough nominations, notations from feedback, etc.
What are your pearls of wisdom to help those of us who are about to start this nerve-wrecking experience?

Offline Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #2165 on: August 07, 2017, 05:35:00 AM »
As a recent joinee of the Scout program, I'd like ask if anyone can offer their insight on why a book wasn't successfully selected? I.e.: not enough nominations, notations from feedback, etc.
What are your pearls of wisdom to help those of us who are about to start this nerve-wrecking experience?
No one knows. It might have something to do with what they're looking for, and if your book fits that and had commercial salability. It could be the mood of the people selecting the books. I can tell you that it rarely has anything to do with the number of views, the number of days in H&T, or the number of social media followers.

Offline Dan Petrosini author

• View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: August 07, 2017, 11:05:21 AM »
I'm not familiar with Readper and didn't turn up anything googling them. Do you have a link?

I do well with ENT, Robin Reads, Book Sends, my Book Cave, Bargain Booksy, Genre Pulse, and FKBT etc. A recent newer promo I tried quite successfully is Riffle. It's sort of a Goodreads type site but they do promos too. Their pricing structure is bizarre (and negotiable.) Don't pay over $30.
Hi Kay  I mis-spoke it is readper.com  Good Luck
My work in progress: 40%
Dan Petrosini | blog

Offline aurichalcyon

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: August 08, 2017, 01:10:02 AM »
No one knows. It might have something to do with what they're looking for, and if your book fits that and had commercial salability. It could be the mood of the people selecting the books. I can tell you that it rarely has anything to do with the number of views, the number of days in H&T, or the number of social media followers.

Thanks Mark. That's not entirely bad for someone like me who doesn't have a big social media presence; just gotta rely on the judges and hope that I've made a good book.

Offline Michael Sussman

• Cambridge, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: August 08, 2017, 06:44:12 AM »

Thanks for all the info, Kay. I'd never heard of Riffle. What is FKBT?
Oh, right, it's on my list!
I can see the sense of sometimes offering one's book for free, but part of me resists the idea. All that damn work and they get it for free??? :-)

Online Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #2169 on: August 08, 2017, 08:41:09 AM »
I can see the sense of sometimes offering one's book for free, but part of me resists the idea. All that damn work and they get it for free??? :-)

I never do free giveaways. Only $0.99.

Kay L Ling | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter

Online Lorri Moulton

• View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #2170 on: August 08, 2017, 08:55:11 AM »
I give away free books all the time.  No advertising expense and I get books into people's hands...or tablets. :)

Anonymity is our biggest challenge.  If you let people know you exist and encourage them to read your books, hopefully they will recommend them to their friends. 

« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 08:57:09 AM by Lorri Moulton »

Online ID Johnson

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: August 08, 2017, 09:53:44 AM »

I use my five free KDP days for the first in my series and then people go on to buy the other three books. I also get a lot of KU reads for all four books during and after those promo days. I have stopped doing free days for my other books though because that never really helps with anything except for a review or two, and I find people are more likely to leave a harsh review if they got the book for free. It's like they think it must not have any value if it is free.

I also think Instafreebie works well when you offer a back story or some other related short story/novelette for free. It gets people interested in the characters, etc. and then they go on to purchase the full-length book. It's worked pretty well for me so far. But writing a novelette is not nearly as time consuming as writing a novel.

Offline Tom Swyers

• View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: August 09, 2017, 02:39:14 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I hope your summer is going well.

I posted an updtate to my Kindle Scout Prepper Thread in case anyone is interested:

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,245964.msg3540427.html#msg3540427

The Killdeer Connection was released by Kindle yesterday and I reflect back upon the last few months in my post.

Have a great day!

Tom 

Offline Michael Sussman

• Cambridge, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: August 13, 2017, 07:30:26 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I hope your summer is going well.

I posted an updtate to my Kindle Scout Prepper Thread in case anyone is interested:

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,245964.msg3540427.html#msg3540427

The Killdeer Connection was released by Kindle yesterday and I reflect back upon the last few months in my post.

Have a great day!

Tom

Thanks, Tom!

My soft launch got even softer when I discovered several typos in the eBook edition of my novel, INCOGNOLIO. (I suppose an anticlimactic launch is appropriate for an anti-novel!)

I made the corrections and am still waiting for them to kick in. Does anyone know how long this process typically takes? Thanks!

Offline HilaryM

• View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: August 14, 2017, 06:52:01 PM »
Updates below:

** Kindle Scout Survivor Books in Need of Reviews **

Remember, to get on the list, you need to have reviewed a book on the list (pick whichever one interests you & contact the author for a digital copy or read in Kindle Unlimited.) Once you hit 20 reviews, you'll fall off the list. (Or sooner, if you like.) Let me know if I missed anyone. (Also, I'm throwing in a reminder that we have a private Facebook group you can join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/873131669496666/permalink/904011373075362/)

Please keep reading. The more you review, the more this system will work.

Books to Review: Remember, no review swaps i.e. exchanging reviews with a single author. If you don't have KU or the books not in KU, all the authors below have agreed to provide free digital review copies in exchange for a review. Just send them a PM.
The books on the top of the list need the most help. (Arranged by lowest review numbers to highest.)

(Romantic Comedy) - A Return to Fallbrook - T.T. Rankin - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 1 Review)
(Dystopian Sci-Fi) - Unimaginary - Patrick Tylee - (Has 2 Reviews)
(Paranormal Romance) - Frozen Perfection - Rae B. Lake - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 8 Reviews)
(Sci-Fi/Superhero) Sixteen Sunsets - Mark Gardner - (Has 8 Reviews)
(Paranormal Romance/Dark Fantasy) - Fallen from Grace - Nikki Landis - in Kindle Unlimited (Has 10 Reviews)
(Fantasy) - Shadowglade - Kay L. Ling - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 12 Reviews)
(Dystopian) - Atmospheric Pressure - Aaron Frale - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 13 Reviews)
(Victorian Suspense) - Beneath the Inconstant Moon - ID Johnson - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 15 Reviews)
(Fantasy / Children's) - Shadowbane - Paul Francois (Has 15 Reviews)
(Contemporary Romance-YA) - One Broken Day - Melissa MacVicar - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 16 Reviews)
(Sci-Fi/Historical Fiction) - War of the Worlds: Retaliation - Mark Gardner - (Has 16 Reviews)
(YA Dystopian/Suspense/Thriller) - A Sea of Shattered Glass - Kyla Stone - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 22 Reviews)

Hi Joynell,

Reviewed - and enjoyed -  A Return to Fallbrook and posted on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Return-Fallbrook-T-Rankin-ebook/dp/B0737NG4VF

Would you add my unsuccessful Kindle Scout submission, No Place In Eden to the list please? Historical fiction, the link is https://www.amazon.com/No-Place-Eden-Hilary-Murray-ebook/dp/B073CW1LDB/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

Many thanks!

Hilary Murray | Website | Facebook