Author Topic: The "My Book Wasn't Accepted for Kindle Scout, Now What?" Thread  (Read 114457 times)  

Offline JT Osbourne

• View Profile
Re: The "My Book Wasn't Accepted for Kindle Scout, Now What?" Thread
« Reply #2400 on: March 05, 2018, 03:10:18 PM »
*waves*

I guess this is my new home. I'll post my pre-order link in here when I get it sorted (right now there are some stray HTML tags to contend with). Launch date will be the 26th.

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #2401 on: March 05, 2018, 03:47:26 PM »
*waves*

I guess this is my new home. I'll post my pre-order link in here when I get it sorted (right now there are some stray HTML tags to contend with). Launch date will be the 26th.

I noticed that. One thing I hate about KDP is every time you change the price it messes up the formatting on the product description. One you get your HTML code sorted out, it's a good idea to cut and paste your formatted blurb into a file so you don't have to tinker with it later.

I plan to launch Wards and Wonders in a few days. I'm just waiting for KS to send out the rejection notification to my nominators. Right now, I'm still in "stealth rejection mode." 

Offline ID Johnson

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: March 05, 2018, 07:12:37 PM »
** Kindle Scout Survivor Books in Need of Reviews **

Congratulations on reaching the maximum number of reviews:

(Victorian Suspense) - Beneath the Inconstant Moon - ID Johnson - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 20 Reviews)

List will be updated once a week.
Thank you!

Offline JT Osbourne

• View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: March 06, 2018, 06:03:19 AM »
I noticed that. One thing I hate about KDP is every time you change the price it messes up the formatting on the product description. One you get your HTML code sorted out, it's a good idea to cut and paste your formatted blurb into a file so you don't have to tinker with it later.

I plan to launch Wards and Wonders in a few days. I'm just waiting for KS to send out the rejection notification to my nominators. Right now, I'm still in "stealth rejection mode."

Good suggestion -- thanks!

I'm surprised they haven't sent out the email with your notification. Mine went out last night -- they wasted no time.

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #2404 on: March 06, 2018, 05:37:39 PM »
Good suggestion -- thanks!

I'm surprised they haven't sent out the email with your notification. Mine went out last night -- they wasted no time.

The status finally changed last night from In Review to Not Selected. The "thank you for nominating" email went out to everyone this morning. I got it at 8:30. By then I had hit the publish button on KDP, and my book was live. I'm glad they delayed the process. It gave me time to make a few revisions, publish the paperback and eBook, and send out a few ARCs. 

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #2405 on: March 07, 2018, 06:36:32 AM »
I didn't want nominators to get the Not Selected email the same day as the Now Available one, so I waited until last night to notify Scout. Some Kindle Scout participants have reported delays of up to a week, but the email arrived in my inbox early this morning, so Scout is on top of things these days.

Since I didn't wait a few days to notify nominators, I won't know which sales are directly from Scout, which are from my Facebook boosted post, and which are from people belatedly opening my newsletter. I'm more concerned with getting sales than I am with where they came from, but it would be nice to know.

Offline JT Osbourne

• View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: March 07, 2018, 08:52:38 AM »
Kay, or others. Do you have much experience getting amazon categories changed? I don't like the ones I've been slotted in and not sure how to fix it.

Offline AaronFrale

• Minneapolis, MN
  • May the schwartz be with you.
    • View Profile
    • My Amazon Page
« Reply #2407 on: March 07, 2018, 09:59:50 AM »
Scout is on top of things these days.

I know! I submitted my new title to yesterday around 2 pm. I got an email 4 pm that the campaign will start Mar. 8th. I have never seen such a quick turn around. Either they've started using a sophisticated AI to automatic these tasks, or the Mturk workers are having a slow day :)

Aaron Frale | Twitter | Facebook | Website

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #2408 on: March 07, 2018, 11:06:00 AM »
Kay, or others. Do you have much experience getting amazon categories changed? I don't like the ones I've been slotted in and not sure how to fix it.

You can call customer support and have them change it. Sometimes changing your keywords in KDP will change the categories, but it might be simpler to call Customer support.

Offline kalencap

• Columbus, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: March 07, 2018, 07:54:56 PM »
You can call customer support and have them change it. Sometimes changing your keywords in KDP will change the categories, but it might be simpler to call Customer support.

Echo that. I just added a sub-sub category. Of course, that only helps if there are sales happening. My ebook goes live next week. (I have a few things lined up, not necessarily in the order you are supposed to, but we shall see what happens.

Offline TascheLaine

• View Profile
    • Tasche Laine, Author
« Reply #2410 on: March 08, 2018, 12:45:36 PM »
I have an author/friend, who has also been working on a 'memoir' that she's calling fiction...and it's under a fictitious name.  When she publishes, it will probably be under the pen name for the memoir.

Huh, that's an option I hadn't considered. Thanks  :)

~Tasche
Just self-published my first book! The dream comes true!
Tasche Laine | blog | Facebook | Twitter | Website | Goodreads | Amazon

Offline TrishaMcNary

• View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: March 11, 2018, 06:34:06 PM »
I switched over to this thread because I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing the crisis of confidence I've felt since not being accepted. I know no one has been accepted in more than a month, but that doesn't keep me from having doubts about my book, especially compared to when I first started the campaign and felt so positive about it.
I've stalled on publishing, gone back through the book making revisions, and today even asking people to do a last-minute review on one chapter that gave me so much trouble. Then I re-read the chapter myself, and it looked OK, so I uploaded today to KDP, and now it's in "Publishing" mode.
I really had great hopes for this book. I know it's better than my first book, which sells a few copies a week or KU reads, because I know some problems the first book has. And I'll be advertising this one more as well, but I'm having trouble thinking positive about it.
Does anyone else feel this way?

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #2412 on: March 11, 2018, 07:06:01 PM »
I switched over to this thread because I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing the crisis of confidence I've felt since not being accepted. I know no one has been accepted in more than a month, but that doesn't keep me from having doubts about my book, especially compared to when I first started the campaign and felt so positive about it.
I've stalled on publishing, gone back through the book making revisions, and today even asking people to do a last-minute review on one chapter that gave me so much trouble. Then I re-read the chapter myself, and it looked OK, so I uploaded today to KDP, and now it's in "Publishing" mode.
I really had great hopes for this book. I know it's better than my first book, which sells a few copies a week or KU reads, because I know some problems the first book has. And I'll be advertising this one more as well, but I'm having trouble thinking positive about it.
Does anyone else feel this way?
It's natural to feel that way, but don't let the doubts win out. Recent feedback suggests that the KS editors will throw great books out the window over very minor things.

My first KS reject was the best selling book I've had so far. Other KS rejects have been successful as well.

It's also worth noting how many writers have started out slow. Agatha Christie (bestselling mystery writer of all time), got five years worth of rejections before selling a thing. JK Rowling got seven or eight, then got accepted on a fluke--then had her editor tell her she needed to get a day job, because she could never make a living with that kind of book. (LOL) Stephenie Meyer was told by fourteen agents that "Twilight" was unmarketable. John LeCarre was told by an editor to find something he was good at, because writing definitely wasn't it. Editors are people, too. They make mistakes, and anyway judging a book is a subjective process.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline TrishaMcNary

• View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: March 11, 2018, 07:14:40 PM »
It's natural to feel that way, but don't let the doubts win out. Recent feedback suggests that the KS editors will throw great books out the window over very minor things.

My first KS reject was the best selling book I've had so far. Other KS rejects have been successful as well.

It's also worth noting how many writers have started out slow. Agatha Christie (bestselling mystery writer of all time), got five years worth of rejections before selling a thing. JK Rowling got seven or eight, then got accepted on a fluke--then had her editor tell her she needed to get a day job, because she could never make a living with that kind of book. (LOL) Stephenie Meyer was told by fourteen agents that "Twilight" was unmarketable. John LeCarre was told by an editor to find something he was good at, because writing definitely wasn't it. Editors are people, too. They make mistakes, and anyway judging a book is a subjective process.

Thanks Bill. That's very encouraging. Maybe I need to expect a lot of rejection if I keep writing.
I guess time will tell after I publish this book whether it sells or not.  :)

Offline CF

• Yoga kitteh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: March 13, 2018, 11:08:48 AM »

Some reminders to make it easier and not have to wade through all those previous posts, especially if you're new to this thread:

To get on the list, you need to have submitted a book to Kindle Scout at least once ;) and have reviewed a book on the list. Pick whichever one interests you & contact the author for a digital copy or read in Kindle Unlimited then post your review for it. If you don't have KU or the books are not in KU, all the authors below have agreed to provide free digital review copies in exchange for a review. Just send them a PM.

Once you hit 20 reviews, you'll fall off the list. Or sooner, if you like.

To have your book(s) added/removed from the list, please reply to this thread or pm me.

We have a private Facebook group you can join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/873131669496666/permalink/904011373075362/

Important: No review swaps i.e. exchanging reviews with any author.

The way the list was set up is that in order to have your book put on the review list, you must first review someone else's book that's on the list. Please note that the idea is we do not "exchange reviews." In other words, if I review Aaron Frale's book, he does not review mine; he reviews someone else's on the list. In time, if everyone participates, everyone's books get one or more reviews.

Please keep reading. The more you review, the more this system will work.

Books to review:

The books on the top of the list need the most help. (Arranged by lowest review numbers to highest.)

(Mystery/Thriller) - Secret Of The Lost Key - Paul Kilmartin - (Has 0 Reviews)

(Historical Fiction) - No Place In Eden - Hilary Murray - (Has 2 Reviews)

(Dystopian Sci-Fi) - Unimaginary - Patrick Tylee - (Has 3 Reviews)

(Romantic Comedy) - A Return To Fallbrook - T.T. Rankin - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 5 Reviews)

(Sci-Fi/Space Opera) - Days Until Home - Mark Gardner - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 5 Reviews)

(Sci-Fi/Superhero) - Sixteen Sunsets - Mark Gardner - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 8 Reviews)

(Dark Fantasy) - Forged By Fire - Michael Arches - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 11 Reviews)

(Dystopian) - Atmospheric Pressure - Aaron Frale - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 15 Reviews)

(Paranormal Romance) - Frozen Perfection - Rae B. Lake - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 19 Reviews)

(Fantasy / Children's) - Shadowbane - Paul Francois - (Has 19 Reviews)

(Fantasy Romance) - My Love Is Vengeance - Georgiana Derwent - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 20+ Reviews)

Offline CF

• Yoga kitteh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2415 on: March 13, 2018, 03:07:14 PM »
For those that would still like reviews, check out this thread by Ram for his new arc review service that's free for the month of March: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,261215.0/all.html At this time, it also accepts already published books.

Offline CF

• Yoga kitteh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: March 20, 2018, 08:58:19 AM »
List updated below:

Some reminders to make it easier and not have to wade through all those previous posts, especially if you're new to this thread:

To get on the list, you need to have submitted a book to Kindle Scout at least once ;) and have reviewed a book on the list. Pick whichever one interests you & contact the author for a digital copy or read in Kindle Unlimited then post your review for it. If you don't have KU or the books are not in KU, all the authors below have agreed to provide free digital review copies in exchange for a review. Just send them a PM.

To have your book(s) added/removed from the list, please reply to this thread or pm me.

We have a private Facebook group you can join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/873131669496666/permalink/904011373075362/

The way the list was set up is that in order to have your book put on the review list, you must first review someone else's book that's on the list. Please note that the idea is we do not "exchange reviews." In other words, if I review Aaron Frale's book, he does not review mine; he reviews someone else's on the list. In time, if everyone participates, everyone's books get one or more reviews.

Books to review:

The books on the top of the list need the most help. (Arranged by lowest review numbers to highest.)

(Mystery/Thriller) - Secret Of The Lost Key - Paul Kilmartin - (Has 0 Reviews)

(Romantic Comedy) - A Return To Fallbrook - T.T. Rankin - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 5 Reviews)

(Sci-Fi/Space Opera) - Days Until Home - Mark Gardner - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 5 Reviews)

(Sci-Fi/Superhero) - Sixteen Sunsets - Mark Gardner - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 9 Reviews)

(Dark Fantasy) - Forged By Fire - Michael Arches - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 11 Reviews)

(Dystopian) - Atmospheric Pressure - Aaron Frale - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 15 Reviews)

(Paranormal Romance) - Frozen Perfection - Rae B. Lake - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 19 Reviews)

Offline Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #2417 on: March 20, 2018, 11:21:03 AM »
Hey, all, my murder mystery that missed the mark on Kindle Scout is finally available for pre-order. It'll be available for sale next Tuesday, and will be in Kindle Unlimited, but I have advance ebooks if anyone wants to get a head start on it: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B4F7ZD3/ (The paperback is already live, so reviews can go in right away.)

(Mystery/Thriller) - Score of Silence - M. A. Gardner - (Has 0 Reviews)

Offline CF

• Yoga kitteh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: March 26, 2018, 11:54:02 AM »

Books to review:

(Mystery/Thriller) - Score Of Silence - M. A. Gardner - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 0 Reviews)

(Women's Fiction) - Closure - Tasche Laine - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 0 Reviews)

(Mystery/Thriller) - Secret Of The Lost Key - Paul Kilmartin - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 1 Reviews)

(Sci-Fi/Superhero) - Sixteen Sunsets - Mark Gardner - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 9 Reviews)

(Paranormal Romance) - Frozen Perfection - Rae B. Lake - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 20 Reviews)

Offline TascheLaine

• View Profile
    • Tasche Laine, Author
« Reply #2419 on: March 26, 2018, 12:50:49 PM »

Books to review:

(Mystery/Thriller) - Score Of Silence - M. A. Gardner - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 0 Reviews)

(Women's Fiction) - Closure - Tasche Laine - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 0 Reviews)

(Mystery/Thriller) - Secret Of The Lost Key - Paul Kilmartin - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 1 Reviews)

Thank you for doing this for us CF!  My paperback is live, so I can receive reviews now. My ebook is in pre-order and launches April 2nd. The paperback doesn't seem to be visible to the public yet, so here is that link:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/1732126119

If you'd like to review CLOSURE before April 2nd, just email me and I will send you a free pdf or epub. My email is:  taschelaine@gmail.com

Should I mention that I'm nervous for this launch?? (FIRST book jitters!!)

Thank you to everyone on here! I've been gleaning great advice from these threads! :)

~Tasche
Just self-published my first book! The dream comes true!
Tasche Laine | blog | Facebook | Twitter | Website | Goodreads | Amazon

Offline CF

• Yoga kitteh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: April 02, 2018, 07:54:42 AM »
List updated below:

Books to review:

(Women's Fiction) - Closure - Tasche Laine - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 1 Reviews)

(Dark Fantasy) - Forged By Fire - Michael Arches - in Kindle Unlimited - (Has 12 Reviews)

(Fantasy / Children's) - Shadowbane - Paul Francois - (Has 18 Reviews)

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna (2015-2018)
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #2421 on: April 02, 2018, 11:08:39 AM »
Folks, for those of you who haven't heard - Kindle Scout is officially closing.

Here's the e-mail I just got this afternoon.

Dear valued scout,

As a member of the Kindle Scout voter community, we wanted to let you know of some upcoming changes being made to the Kindle Scout program.

As of April 3rd, Kindle Scout will no longer accept new submissions, and you will no longer be able to start a new Kindle Scout campaign. Once the current campaigns end their voting period, you will have until May 31st to log into your Kindle Scout profile, redeem free copies of your selected nominations, and save any info you may want.

Mike drop...

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #2422 on: April 02, 2018, 11:19:06 AM »

Dear valued scout,

As a member of the Kindle Scout voter community, we wanted to let you know of some upcoming changes being made to the Kindle Scout program.

As of April 3rd, Kindle Scout will no longer accept new submissions, and you will no longer be able to start a new Kindle Scout campaign. Once the current campaigns end their voting period, you will have until May 31st to log into your Kindle Scout profile, redeem free copies of your selected nominations, and save any info you may want.

Mike drop...
It makes me feel much better about not being selected.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline kalencap

• Columbus, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: April 02, 2018, 11:39:15 AM »

Dear valued scout,

Mike drop...

Interesting, given the recent lack of selections. By the way, while still struggling with initial sales, Saturday was one of the best single days for "The Ancient Tripod of Peace." Still hoping a few more reviews will come in and help its social proof soon for May plans.

Offline jaxonreed

• View Profile
    • jaxonreed.com
« Reply #2424 on: April 03, 2018, 06:36:14 PM »
Interesting, given the recent lack of selections. By the way, while still struggling with initial sales, Saturday was one of the best single days for "The Ancient Tripod of Peace." Still hoping a few more reviews will come in and help its social proof soon for May plans.

Happy to hear that, Kalen.

Jaxon Reed | jaxonreed.com | readper.com