KB Featured
Flight of the Tarantula Hawk
by Michael Allan Scott

$0.99
Kindle Edition published 2014-02-10
Bestseller ranking: 4698

Product Description
On the IndieReader Best Book list and featured on NBC's Daytime Show, the second book in the Lance Underphal Mystery series is part of a new breed of supernatural thrillers which can be read and enjoyed in any order. Dark, different, featuring a damaged psychic, this is one of those disturbing novels that keeps you guessing.

Download the sample or use the "Look inside" feature for a FREE E-book offer.

Supernatural Murder Mystery - Realtor Carla Simon has her first showing in nearly eighteen months. Recovering from a nervous breakdown, she arrives at the bank-owned foreclosure well ahead of her prospect. When her buyer pins her against the wall, it turns out to be the last house she'll ever show.

Looking for a new breed of supernatural thrillers? Paranormal mysteries of murder and suspense? Perhaps a psychic detective series which can be read and enjoyed in any order? Or maybe one of t...

Author Topic: The "My Book Wasn't Accepted for Kindle Scout, Now What?" Thread  (Read 96355 times)  

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
Re: The "My Book Wasn't Accepted for Kindle Scout, Now What?" Thread
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2016, 10:06:59 AM »
Kay, I'm about 30% through your book (despite getting my book ready to launch & doing NaNoWriMo) and I am loving it! All the detail about the different gems with arcane powers is amazing. I never heard of some of these gems but I'm going to be on the look out for some aventurine. Well done, you!

Thanks! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it. It's a long book, so it no one is likely to describe it as a "quick read." 

Kay L Ling | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2016, 10:07:46 AM »
I'm all in on this idea. I'm supposed to be a part of my first cross promo in late December, and I love the idea of it! Unfortunately, I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about how to do this sort of thing, so I think the organization would go to someone better up to the task.
For anyone who might be interested, the setup does take work, but not particularly special skills. It's easy as long as the anthology is permafree, since no money is involved. (Dealing with dividing the money if there were any is a whole separate complication.)

Collectively, all those interested would need to agree on a theme or other unifying idea. Once that's done, we'd spin that part off to a different thread if we were soliciting submissions generally, or maybe just keep it here if not. (The more people involved, though, the more marketing push we could put behind the anthology.

Someone (or several someones) need to edit the accepted submissions to make sure everything is as good as it can get.

I'll take care of getting the cover.

Someone needs to actually submit to all the outlets. It would make sense if that person were the coordinator/editor, but hypothetically it could be someone else. It would be easier if it were someone who already had a relationship with an aggregator (like Smashwords or D2D) to facilitate distribution to other outlets.

There are a few other minor things, but basically those are major tasks. Some of them can be handled by different people rather than having all of them done by one person.

I need to disappear for a few hours to finish (hopefully) the proofing for Different Lee, but I'll check back later. :)

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline LoriDRV

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2016, 10:54:13 AM »
Well, since I'm so behind on figuring out all this overwhelming stuff for publishing, I went ahead and shared your novel on fb and twitter, Kay.

I'm so confused about everything. I don't even know where to begin. I've been putting the word out for my memoir anthology while I'm trying to figure out formatting and publication for my novel. The anthology is a quick, uplifting read.

I read about Kathy's use of NetGalley. Does that cost much to join?

It sounds like I'm going to need to buy PhotoShop to upload my book cover to CreateSpace.

Ugh. My head is spinning.

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 03, 2016, 11:01:37 AM »
Well, since I'm so behind on figuring out all this overwhelming stuff for publishing, I went ahead and shared your novel on fb and twitter, Kay.

I'm so confused about everything. I don't even know where to begin. I've been putting the word out for my memoir anthology while I'm trying to figure out formatting and publication for my novel. The anthology is a quick, uplifting read.

It sounds like I'm going to need to buy PhotoShop to upload my book cover to CreateSpace.

Lori, I use Photoshop, but the truth is any decent graphics program can probably do what you need.

Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2016, 11:06:21 AM »

NetGalley is expensive if you go it alone. Do a forums search for "NetGalley co-op" and you can get a month usually for under $100.

If you do get Photoshop, remember that the creative cloud version is only $29 for one month. If you can get everything figured out and implemented, then your Photoshop cost is only the $29, but you could also probably get someone who has Photoshop and some experience to format your finished flattened image into a format that's compatible with CS and LSI for less.

I was fortunate in that I was able to use an advance years ago to purchase the full Creative Suite 5. I'd like to upgrade, but I'd personally rather license the software outright, than pay a monthly fee.

Finally, if you do some looking, you could purchase an older version of Photoshop for real cheap, and just run the thing.

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #80 on: November 03, 2016, 11:29:07 AM »

Thanks for the share, Lori.

I confess I'm not too tech savvy and I don't want the frustrations of learning to do formatting and cover art, so I hired a professional formatter to do my eBook and paperback, and I had an artist do the cover art and a graphic designer add the text. It's worth it to me to preserve my nerves and sanity, but I know many people are on a budget and prefer to learn to do these things for themselves.

By the way, Bill, my sister showed me how to link to an individual FB post. Hopefully I can remember how to do it for next time. Not sure I'm the best at explaining it. If she gets a spare minute, she'll stop by and post the instructions.

Kay L Ling | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline Marie Clapsaddle

• New Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 03, 2016, 11:38:57 AM »
Actually, I'm reminded that I couldn't figure out the link for an individual post either! Anyway, I just shared yours.

Hi Bill, Kay's "Tech-Active Senior" sister at your service.

To get the link for an individual Facebook post, click on the date/time at the top of the post and copy the resulting URL from the menu bar at the top of the browser. In the case of the post on Kay's author page, it looks like this: https://www.facebook.com/KayLLing.author/photos/a.1285382901472724.1073741828.1263274803683534/1338837156127298/

I'm glad to see this thread on KBoards. I'm not a Kindle Scout alumnus myself, but I was actively involved with Kay's campaign behind the scenes and did what I could to help out with nominations for books listed on Steve's daily post. I plan to read this thread and pop in from time to time if there's something I can contribute.

Marie Clapsaddle | Website | Blog | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest

Offline LoriDRV

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 03, 2016, 11:56:55 AM »
Thanks, Bill & Mark, for some cover art info.

Mark, that's a good idea to shop for an older version of PhotoShop. Any suggestions where?

Marie, how kind of you to offer your help to us "less tech-savvy" authors.

I created my own covers and have a little bit of experience working with photos in other cheap programs. I love photography and took the photos on the cover of my anthology and blended them together. It's the actual photo of the street where I grew up and the street sign. I bought the 2 photos for my novel, Whit's End, and blended those together. I was really happy with how it turned out, and I also got a lot of good feedback on that cover when it was in Kindle Scout. I have an idea what I'm going to do with the back cover for CreateSpace when I get a chance.

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2016, 12:15:56 PM »
Thanks, Bill & Mark, for some cover art info.

Mark, that's a good idea to shop for an older version of PhotoShop. Any suggestions where?

Marie, how kind of you to offer your help to us "less tech-savvy" authors.

I created my own covers and have a little bit of experience working with photos in other cheap programs. I love photography and took the photos on the cover of my anthology and blended them together. It's the actual photo of the street where I grew up and the street sign. I bought the 2 photos for my novel, Whit's End, and blended those together. I was really happy with how it turned out, and I also got a lot of good feedback on that cover when it was in Kindle Scout. I have an idea what I'm going to do with the back cover for CreateSpace when I get a chance.

I'm not sure where. eBay is an option, but you have to be careful of scams. I get my software from university surplus sales. If all you need is to take your own flattened cover wrap and make it a proper pdf, I can do that for you.

Offline LoriDRV

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2016, 12:35:27 PM »
I'm not sure where. eBay is an option, but you have to be careful of scams. I get my software from university surplus sales. If all you need is to take your own flattened cover wrap and make it a proper pdf, I can do that for you.

Hi Mark - I'm not sure what I have to do, because I've never done a book with CreateSpace before. I don't know how to put together a cover for an actual print book for paperback. I know I'll need a spine and a back cover, in addition to the front cover. If this is what you've offered to do in .pdf, I may take you up on it. However, I'm not there yet. I'm still working on formatting for my novel on ebook. It may be a while before I get to the print version. I'd kind of like to figure it out, but if I can't, I'll contact you (and probably everyone else on these boards for help with formatting  :-[). I'm going to see what I can do about getting PhotoShop.

Thank you for your kind offer.

Offline LoriDRV

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2016, 12:40:55 PM »
Okay, here is a stupid novice question for those of you who have done print versions with CreateSpace. I haven't even looked at it yet, so pardon my ignorance. How does the pricing work? Don't they have to charge you for printing the book? Does it give you their prices and then you can choose your own price for the book?

In the 1990's (the dark ages), long before ebooks and POD, I self-published a book and sent it off to a print company. They charged me all of $1.07 each to print my paperbacks. I bought them for a bulk price.

Now with POD, I have no idea what to expect.

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2016, 12:45:54 PM »
Hi Mark - I'm not sure what I have to do, because I've never done a book with CreateSpace before. I don't know how to put together a cover for an actual print book for paperback. I know I'll need a spine and a back cover, in addition to the front cover. If this is what you've offered to do in .pdf, I may take you up on it. However, I'm not there yet. I'm still working on formatting for my novel on ebook. It may be a while before I get to the print version. I'd kind of like to figure it out, but if I can't, I'll contact you (and probably everyone else on these boards for help with formatting  :-[). I'm going to see what I can do about getting PhotoShop.

Thank you for your kind offer.
Sure thing. Here's what I do:
I export my complete manuscript from Scrivener to Word, formatted as a 5x8.
I clean up the word doc, because no matter how hard I try, it's never ready.
I apply the 5x8 print size, and make sure my margins are in order.
Save as a PDF in MS word and upload that to CS.
CS gives me my page count, then i do a search on CS for "cover template."
Fill out the info and CS will generate a zip file that has a PNG of your cover template with folds, cuts, and bleeds.
Build your cover, spine, and back on top of the template.
Then I save it as a PDF, but you could save it as a high-quality jpg, and make that file available to anyone who has PS. They can save it as a PDF, and upload it to drop box, or use a free wordpress account to exchange files.

I'm happy to offer what help I can for you guys and dolls.

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2016, 12:48:17 PM »
Okay, here is a stupid novice question for those of you who have done print versions with CreateSpace. I haven't even looked at it yet, so pardon my ignorance. How does the pricing work? Don't they have to charge you for printing the book? Does it give you their prices and then you can choose your own price for the book?

In the 1990's (the dark ages), long before ebooks and POD, I self-published a book and sent it off to a print company. They charged me all of $1.07 each to print my paperbacks. I bought them for a bulk price.

They charge you a price per book based on a sliding scale. A 300-page 5x8 with white pages and glossy finish will almost always be $4.45, a 140-page 5x8 will be $2.50, a 170-page will be $2.90. Then you pay taxes, and your choice of shipping. I try to keep whatever book I'm doing to one of the most common price points so I know what to expect.

Even with a 300-page 5x8, I price them so that the Extended Distribution nets me a royalty around $3.00. Then I sell them in person for $10. That way, a single sale will net me 2 more books. Also, if you utilize the CS estore, you can make discount codes that take a fixed dollar amount off. I keep a decent wooden crate in my trunk, and a stack of business cards in my pocket.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 01:01:53 PM by Mark Gardner »

Offline Michele Brouder

• Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2016, 01:10:33 PM »
Thanks for the share, Lori.

I confess I'm not too tech savvy and I don't want the frustrations of learning to do formatting and cover art, so I hired a professional formatter to do my eBook and paperback, and I had an artist do the cover art and a graphic designer add the text. It's worth it to me to preserve my nerves and sanity, but I know many people are on a budget and prefer to learn to do these things for themselves.

By the way, Bill, my sister showed me how to link to an individual FB post. Hopefully I can remember how to do it for next time. Not sure I'm the best at explaining it. If she gets a spare minute, she'll stop by and post the instructions.
I'm the same way, Kay. I found a good formatter and a great book cover designer that were reasonable. I don't want to learn how to format as I am technologically challenged. Besides, I find the marketing an almost full-time job. And that's enough of a diversion from the actual process of writing. Basically, I'm an old dog who is trick challenged.

Lori,
Create Space will guide you through the process and any questions you have, you can go through the message center. They're good to get back to you. Once the book is up and you have to decide pricing for the channels, they will tell you the minimum you have to charge. For instance, when I went through it today, they said the minimum I had to charge was $11.00. So I rounded it up to 11.99 because I have a thing about that .99 and then just tick the box where all foreign markets will be based on the exchange rate. It's just easier.
Believe me, it is a daunting process and the learning curve is huge (but then when is it not, whether it's self-publishing, writing or Kindle Scout) Step back and take a deep breath. You got this. If you can design your own covers, you can do all this other stuff.

Michele Brouder | website | Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter

Offline ZivGray

• Northern Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2016, 01:10:54 PM »
They charge you a price per book based on a sliding scale. A 300-page 5x8 with white pages and glossy finish will almost always be $4.45, a 140-page 5x8 will be $2.50, a 170-page will be $2.90. Then you pay taxes, and your choice of shipping. I try to keep whatever book I'm doing to one of the most common price points so I know what to expect.

Even with a 300-page 5x8, I price them so that the Extended Distribution nets me a royalty around $3.00. Then I sell them in person for $10. That way, a single sale will net me 2 more books. Also, if you utilize the CS estore, you can make discount codes that take a fixed dollar amount off. I keep a decent wooden crate in my trunk, and a stack of business cards in my pocket.

There's something very aesthetically pleasing about that box, Mark!

My process is exactly the same as yours. I recently made the mistake of not getting the right sized print proof for my book. I did all the work for 6 by 9 instead of 5 by 8 - and it just doesn't look right.

Next step for me is researching the right price for my POD copy. I don't foresee selling a lot of physical copies, to be honest.
Dance of Dark and Light #2: 70%
Ziv Gray | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2016, 01:18:43 PM »
Next step for me is researching the right price for my POD copy. I don't foresee selling a lot of physical copies, to be honest.
My advice is to price it with a price ending in .99 that allows you to have pretty darn close to $3.00 royalty in expanded distribution, then just enable all six channels. I might sell four books a month online, but I care more about having the two linked in Amazon, with that "sale" slash through the eBook price. You could buy the hard cover for $25, or the paperback for $15, but the $5 ebook is a steal! and since setting up paper and HC costs you practically nothing, every indie should do it regardless if they expect to sell a single copy.

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 03, 2016, 01:23:05 PM »
Hi Bill, Kay's "Tech-Active Senior" sister at your service.

To get the link for an individual Facebook post, click on the date/time at the top of the post and copy the resulting URL from the menu bar at the top of the browser. In the case of the post on Kay's author page, it looks like this: https://www.facebook.com/KayLLing.author/photos/a.1285382901472724.1073741828.1263274803683534/1338837156127298/

I'm glad to see this thread on KBoards. I'm not a Kindle Scout alumnus myself, but I was actively involved with Kay's campaign behind the scenes and did what I could to help out with nominations for books listed on Steve's daily post. I plan to read this thread and pop in from time to time if there's something I can contribute.
Thanks! I've actually seen that. I don't know why I didn't remember it earlier.

Offline ZivGray

• Northern Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 03, 2016, 01:24:22 PM »
My advice is to price it with a price ending in .99 that allows you to have pretty darn close to $3.00 royalty in expanded distribution, then just enable all six channels. I might sell four books a month online, but I care more about having the two linked in Amazon, with that "sale" slash through the eBook price. You could buy the hard cover for $25, or the paperback for $15, but the $5 ebook is a steal! and since setting up paper and HC costs you practically nothing, every indie should do it regardless if they expect to sell a single copy.

Super advice! I'll be sure to do that.
Dance of Dark and Light #2: 70%
Ziv Gray | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 03, 2016, 01:28:07 PM »
I couldn't agree more! There are also some readers who don't look at a writer as legitimate unless there's a paperback edition--even if they buy in ebook format.

I too like the look of your box.

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #94 on: November 03, 2016, 01:33:07 PM »
I too like the look of your box.
The English-language Amazon listing looks pretty sweet too:

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 03, 2016, 01:40:37 PM »

Mark's already given you a great deal of excellent advice, but if you would like a demo, some years ago I made a quick video for a friend explaining CS cover templates. I was rushed and didn't feel afterward as if I had really gotten the job done well. I guess it must have been better than I thought, because now it has over 15,000 views, and a lot of positive responses.  Feel free to look it over when you get to that point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4cdyfG3jFI. (Yes, the demo uses Photoshop, but as I've said, less expensive programs have enough features to do what the video covers.

The POD text is a little trickier than ebook text, but if you remember you are trying to make it look like a print book in your library, that helps. For me the tricky thing was hyphenation. There are a large number of hyphenation rules, some of which Word doesn't follow. (I'd recommend finding a cheap copy of Chicago Manual of Style--it's an invaluable reference.

I did make some mistakes early on, though fortunately not ones that made the book look bad. I got better with practice. Really, none of it is rocket science, though some processes, like going through the whole manuscript to hyphenate correctly, are certainly tedious.

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 03, 2016, 01:45:08 PM »
The English-language Amazon listing looks pretty sweet too:

That it does--and now I think I know how to use the image tags. I tried before and failed, but I think from studying your use of it, I have it now. I forget what I put between them before, but it didn't work.

Offline David Blake

• London
  • I see dead people.
    • View Profile
    • David Blake
« Reply #97 on: November 03, 2016, 02:12:43 PM »
My first book wasn't selected at the back end of last year. Obviously I self-published.

I've since gone on to write, and self-publish, three more books.

What I've discovered about KS since then is that the vast majority of the books they so carefully "select" fail.

Why?

Because they don't know any better than anyone else what will fly and what will die.

Also, I really struggle to see what they bring to the table, apart from taking a larger chunk of your royalty payments.

So, for all of us who didn't find ourselves to be The Chosen Ones, I honestly think we're better off! And besides, I'm still convinced they just pull the winners out of a hat.

Anyway, self-publishing is easy enough. We're also able to maintain full ownership AND can set our own prices, which as I've learnt is vital to success.

Offline LoriDRV

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 03, 2016, 02:23:23 PM »
Mark's already given you a great deal of excellent advice, but if you would like a demo, some years ago I made a quick video for a friend explaining CS cover templates. I was rushed and didn't feel afterward as if I had really gotten the job done well. I guess it must have been better than I thought, because now it has over 15,000 views, and a lot of positive responses.  Feel free to look it over when you get to that point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4cdyfG3jFI. (Yes, the demo uses Photoshop, but as I've said, less expensive programs have enough features to do what the video covers.

The POD text is a little trickier than ebook text, but if you remember you are trying to make it look like a print book in your library, that helps. For me the tricky thing was hyphenation. There are a large number of hyphenation rules, some of which Word doesn't follow. (I'd recommend finding a cheap copy of Chicago Manual of Style--it's an invaluable reference.

I did make some mistakes early on, though fortunately not ones that made the book look bad. I got better with practice. Really, none of it is rocket science, though some processes, like going through the whole manuscript to hyphenate correctly, are certainly tedious.

Thank you, Bill. This is great. I respond much better to instructions on video. I have bookmarked this for when I'm ready.

Thank you to Mark, for your offer and brief instructions. I actually think I understood most of that.  :)

QUOTE: Michele<<Create Space will guide you through the process and any questions you have, you can go through the message center. They're good to get back to you. Once the book is up and you have to decide pricing for the channels, they will tell you the minimum you have to charge. For instance, when I went through it today, they said the minimum I had to charge was $11.00. So I rounded it up to 11.99 because I have a thing about that .99 and then just tick the box where all foreign markets will be based on the exchange rate. It's just easier.
Believe me, it is a daunting process and the learning curve is huge (but then when is it not, whether it's self-publishing, writing or Kindle Scout) Step back and take a deep breath. You got this. If you can design your own covers, you can do all this other stuff. >>

Michele, thank you for your input and encouragement. I love messing with my photos in my cheap software programs. My blog is full of those photos. I find that I get better responses to my blog when I put up photos with my text. I'm a bit of an over-user of blogging, but it is the one social media venue I actually enjoy. The others I only do because I have to.

As far as that "minimum I have to charge" on CS, does that mean they won't let you sell it for any less than a certain price? Honestly, I pass up most paperbacks when they're priced too high, and I'm hoping I don't have to price mine too high.

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 03, 2016, 02:47:18 PM »
My first book wasn't selected at the back end of last year. Obviously I self-published.

I've since gone on to write, and self-publish, three more books.

What I've discovered about KS since then is that the vast majority of the books they so carefully "select" fail.

Why?

Because they don't know any better than anyone else what will fly and what will die.

Also, I really struggle to see what they bring to the table, apart from taking a larger chunk of your royalty payments.

So, for all of us who didn't find ourselves to be The Chosen Ones, I honestly think we're better off! And besides, I'm still convinced they just pull the winners out of a hat.

Anyway, self-publishing is easy enough. We're also able to maintain full ownership AND can set our own prices, which as I've learnt is vital to success.
Most fail? Have you actually tracked all of them? The ones I looked at when I was deciding whether to do KS or not all seemed to have good ranking and a reasonable number of reviews. Also, the accepted authors in the thread many of us migrated from seem both successful and happy. I guess it's possible that the unsuccessful ones might not be posting about how their books failed, though.  :P

I like self publishing too, and I certainly don't think one has to be in KS to be successful. However, KS is a lot easier to navigate than the typical trad publisher, gets the book on sale faster, and markets at least well enough that some people earn out their advances in just a few months. If the book were being marketed for $3.99, that would mean about 750 copies--not counting the free ones all the nominators got. Even at $5.99, that would still be 500 copies. I've never moved that many copies of one book on my own in just a few months, though perhaps you have. Someone who can market well enough to make a living without KS might easily not find KS worthwhile. For someone like me, though, KS might make more sense. One size does not fit all.

Anyway, I'm not weeping tears of blood that I wasn't selected, but I would have liked to have the experience, so I'll probably try again.