Kindle Forum banner

The "My Book Wasn't Accepted for Kindle Scout, Now What?" Thread

163K views 2K replies 153 participants last post by  CF 
#1 ·
Hi, all!  This is the support thread for those of us whose books weren't selected for Kindle Scout. Most of us have, or will be, self-publishing. We'll meet here to support one another and share marketing tips and details about our book launches.

My book, Beyond the Forest, launched (secretly) on October 28th. I'm going public today, and Amazon sent the notification email to those who nominated my book. Let's see what happens next!

#1,728 ·
Kay7979 said:
Today's useful tip: AMS ads work FAR better on new releases. I can't say how effective my new ad is since there's a reporting delay, but at the rate I'm going, by tomorrow I'll have as many impressions for this book as I have for an ad I started on Beyond the Forest on March 20th.
Good to know. It's often easier to get a response to new release--that's why it's so important to keep releasing.

#1,729 ·
Bill Hiatt said:
Good to know. It's often easier to get a response to new release--that's why it's so important to keep releasing.
This may be true, and I hope so, but my main point is that most everyone, including me, has been complaining about a drastic slowdown in the amount our ads are being served by Amazon. I used to get about 24k impressions per day with one ad. Now I have two, upped the daily spend, and I'm lucky to get 10-12K impressions between both ads. The new ad has 91K impressions in a day and a half!

#1,733 ·
My promos are ongoing. I haven't been able to beat my Paid in Kindle Store rank from February's promos, but I've changed categories to ones better suited to my books, and since they were smaller categories, I have made new lows there.

So far, my best results were from Robin Reads, so I can confirm what others say--this is one of the top promo sites.

My goal with this promo was to discount book one to drive traffic to book two, which I launched at $3.99. This strategy has been moderately successful based on my small expectations. If someone is hoping to achieve a low sales rank and get promoted by Amazon as a hot new release, this isn't the route to go. (Unless you already have a big following). It's accomplishing what I set out to do, though, so I can't complain. I'm getting a trickle of sales for Shadowglade as well as some KU borrows and KENP. I'm hoping that many of the people who bought Beyond the Forest will read it and immediately buy or borrow Shadowglade. We'll see.

I've already started to book a couple promos for mid-June, when I can run a Kindle Countdown deal for Shadowglade. I booked a double promo (both books) with Book Barbarian, and also with Fussy Librarian.

Another note for those of you with new releases: People Reads has a New Release category, and as I recall, you don't need many reviews. (starting to get foggy on the various sites and requirements.) I booked Shadowglade at $3.99 with them for this Friday, and Beyond the Forest is running in the fantasy category on Saturday. The normal price for each promotion is $8.99, but they gave me a 15% multi-book discount, bringing the cost per promo to $7.64.

I also ran a KBoards discovery ad for Shadowglade ($15) and I'm not sure what my results were since I had another small promo yesterday plus AMS, but I may have gotten a sale or two and a couple KU borrows. I consider it a donation to the Kboards, which has been a wealth of information, and any sales or KU are gravy. 

#1,735 ·
Here's the updated list. Anyone's who has a rejected Kindle Scout book can jump in.

** Kindle Scout Survivor Books in Need of Reviews **

Remember, to get on the list, you need to have reviewed a book on the list (pick whichever one interests you & contact the author for a digital copy or read in Kindle Unlimited.) Once you hit 20 reviews, you'll fall off the list. (Or sooner, if you like.) Let me know if I missed anyone. (Also, I'm throwing in a reminder that we have a private Facebook group you can join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/873131669496666/permalink/904011373075362/)

Please keep reading. The more you review, the more this system will work.

Books to Review: Remember, no review swaps i.e. exchanging reviews with a single author. If you don't have KU or the books not in KU, all the authors below have agreed to provide free digital review copies in exchange for a review. Just send them a PM.
The books on the top of the list need the most help. (Arranged by lowest review numbers to highest.)

(Fantasy) The Soul Guide - Kelly Stock - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 4 Reviews)
(Paranormal Romance) - Immortal Embrace - Michelle Hughes - (Has 5 Reviews)
(Action/Adventure/Sci-Fi) Sixteen Sunsets - Mark Gardner - (Has 7 Reviews)
(Fantasy) Shadowglade - Kay L. Ling - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 7 Reviews)
(Soft Sci-Fi) Lily of the Valley - Ruth White - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 8 Reviews)
(Mystery) Getting Thin is Murder - Al Moe - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 10 Reviews)
(Fantasy / Children's) Shadowbane - Paul Francois (Has 12 Reviews)
(Clean Romance) What Lies Beneath the Mask - Laura Greenwood - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 12 Reviews)
(Fantasy/Mystery/Clean Romance) Blood & Holy Water - Joynell Schultz - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 18 Reviews)
(Fantasy/Suspense) Guardian of the Grail - Elena Bryce - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 23 Reviews)

#1,736 ·
So I did some heavy free promo with Time Burrito and got to rank 90 overall for free books. Here's what I did:

4/15 EReaderIQ $35, EBookSoda $15, BKnights $10, Author Shout $5, My blog, twitter, FB, and mailing list
Downloads: 1154
4/16 Booksends $50
Downloads: 793
4/17 Genre Pulse $17, Bookscream-free, Booktasik-$8
Downloads: 397
4/18 Freebooksy $70, BookBasset $21.99 <--- it hit 90 because of this and stayed 90-100 till the end
Downloads: 1832
4/19 Bookbarbarian $55
Downloads: 1121

Total free downloads: 5297
Total Cost: $286.99

Residuals (so far): 25 sales, 7000 KU (270 ku for a complete read through), 5 PB sales, 15 reviews (4.1 average). hovering in the 15k-20k sales rank on average since promos end, my guess is that it's mostly KU downloads because my sales aren't that high

I don't know if I'll make my money back, but it seems that it's doing well. Any ideas on how to keep the pressure up? Any ad sites I should do at the $2.99 price it will be locked into for a while?

#1,737 ·
AaronFrale said:
So I did some heavy free promo with Time Burrito and got to rank 90 overall for free books. Here's what I did:

I don't know if I'll make my money back, but it seems that it's doing well. Any ideas on how to keep the pressure up? Any ad sites I should do at the $2.99 price it will be locked into for a while?
Amazing number of downloads. What would make me happy is the reviews. Congrats!

And about that $2.99 price point. If you figure out a way to sell books at $2.99, LET ME KNOW! I struggle to move them even reduced to 99 cents. Everyone seems to want free books these days.

Here's some ideas:
Newsletter swaps
AMS Ads
Facebook Ads
BookBub ads
I know there are some promo sites that will promote $2.99 books...I don't know how many sales you'll get for it. (BKnights is one that may get you a handful of sales... I know I've come across more, but can't pull them off the top of my head.)

Good luck, and keep sharing!

#1,738 ·
AaronFrale said:

4/15 EReaderIQ $35, EBookSoda $15, BKnights $10, Author Shout $5, My blog, twitter, FB, and mailing list
Downloads: 1154
4/16 Booksends $50
Downloads: 793
4/17 Genre Pulse $17, Bookscream-free, Booktasik-$8
Downloads: 397
4/18 Freebooksy $70, BookBasset $21.99 <--- it hit 90 because of this and stayed 90-100 till the end
Downloads: 1832
4/19 Bookbarbarian $55
Downloads: 1121

Residuals (so far): 25 sales, 7000 KU (270 ku for a complete read through), 5 PB sales, 15 reviews (4.1 average). hovering in the 15k-20k sales rank on average since promos end, my guess is that it's mostly KU downloads because my sales aren't that high

Good going, Aaron, and thanks for sharing the detailed information to help others. Keep us posted on how long the sales tail goes. I'm encouraged to hear you're already getting reviews!!!

There are quite a few sites that will take books at $3.99 or less, but I don't recommend using any that are very expensive since most readers who subscribe to these sites are spoiled with all the free and $0.99 books. If you didn't notice in my prior post, People Reads has a New Release category. Their regular price is $8.99. I signed Shadowglade up for New Release and Beyond the Forest for Fantasy. The promos run different days and go to different lists of readers, so we'll see what happens. They gave me a 15% price break for submitting two books, so each promo was $7.64. That's a reasonable price to gamble on results. You might want to give them a try.

#1,739 ·
Kay7979 said:
If you didn't notice in my prior post, People Reads has a New Release category. Their regular price is $8.99.
I used PeopleReads for Blood & Holy Water's release, and it got me a handful of sales at 99 cents. I'm unsure how good it'd do for full price. Keep us updated, Kay!

#1,741 ·
https://www.amazon.com/Broken-Chains-Emiliya-Ahmadova-ebook/dp/B01N9YR6ZK/refAs a moving piece of motivational fiction, at the heart of Broken Chains lies the core inspirational issue: How can one best live with a deep sense of inner freedom and independence? In setting up an intriguing novel of romance and family saga, the author starts with an encounter between the
parents of the protagonist that leads to a brief affair and an unwanted pregnancy. Esmira, the mother, raises her daughter alone under difficult circumstances. Once an adult, Silvana must confront the horrors of abusive relationships on her own. This is not only a page turner that serves as fundamental self-help to its readers, but also a deeply moving tale of one Azerbaijani woman's struggle to avoid the same fate that befell her mother. She flees Azerbaijan to an uncertain future. In addition, the novel serves as a gripping story of making sacrifices, overcoming suffering, finding true love, dealing with family conflicts, coping with inhumanity, finding redemption, and attaining liberty. Finally, this intriguing tale introduces readers to the exotic country of Azerbaijan, geographically located between spheres.

#1,742 ·
Lorri Moulton said:
So, I review one of these book and then I can get my KS book (not chosen) on the list? That would be great!
Welcome. That's correct. If you aren't a KU subscriber, and/or the book you decide to review isn't in KU, the author will provide you with a PDF, ePub, or Mobi file for review.

#1,744 ·
Kay7979 said:
Good going, Aaron, and thanks for sharing the detailed information to help others. Keep us posted on how long the sales tail goes. I'm encouraged to hear you're already getting reviews!!!
I'll keep you posted. So far, it seems like it's not slowing down (of course I fear since I'm talking about it that it will :) ). I just signed up for a People reads new release for may and then a month long ad for June. I'm going to try Bookbub, Robinreads, and ENT in June when I have a 99 promo option again. I was rejected for those three in my first round, but I figure I'll have more reviews by then.

#1,745 ·
AaronFrale said:
I'll keep you posted. So far, it seems like it's not slowing down (of course I fear since I'm talking about it that it will :) ). I just signed up for a People reads new release for may and then a month long ad for June. I'm going to try Bookbub, Robinreads, and ENT in June when I have a 99 promo option again. I was rejected for those three in my first round, but I figure I'll have more reviews by then.
BookBub is a long shot, no matter how many reviews you have, but I haven't had any trouble getting the others.

#1,746 ·
Mark Gardner said:
Well, all, I finally got my rejection from TOR for Warmache.

I've got two titles that I'll be preparing for KS this year: Moonrise, the sequel to the not-selected Sixteen Sunsets. And my debut murder mystery, Score of Silence. The audiobook for Sixteen Sunsets is scheduled for release next month. John and I are still talking to Severed Press to do another War of the Worlds book. We've got about two weeks left in the contractually obligated offer period.
Bummer on the TOR rejection, but it sounds like you're firing on all cylinders with your other projects.

#1,747 ·
Lorri Moulton said:
Just finished the book and it was amazing! I left a review and it should show up on Amazon in a few minutes. Honestly, I read a lot for research when I wrote mine...and this is one of the best!

Here's my link. Thanks and I'll try to read a few more this weekend. :)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y1FTL51?ref_=ks_dp_pdm
Awesome Lorri! I'm so happy you liked it and what a nice review. (I know, I know, authors aren't supposed to comment on their reviews.)

Let me know what book you'd like added to the "to-read" list and I'll get you put on right away.

#1,748 ·
I had to update the list already -- quite a few changes. My book hit 20 reviews... Yay! and I had two new ones to add on.
Reminder that anyone who has a rejected Kindle Scout book can jump in.

** Kindle Scout Survivor Books in Need of Reviews **

Remember, to get on the list, you need to have reviewed a book on the list (pick whichever one interests you & contact the author for a digital copy or read in Kindle Unlimited.) Once you hit 20 reviews, you'll fall off the list. (Or sooner, if you like.) Let me know if I missed anyone. (Also, I'm throwing in a reminder that we have a private Facebook group you can join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/873131669496666/permalink/904011373075362/)

Please keep reading. The more you review, the more this system will work.

Books to Review: Remember, no review swaps i.e. exchanging reviews with a single author. If you don't have KU or the books not in KU, all the authors below have agreed to provide free digital review copies in exchange for a review. Just send them a PM.
The books on the top of the list need the most help. (Arranged by lowest review numbers to highest.)

(Fantasy) The Soul Guide - Kelly Stock - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 4 Reviews)
(Paranormal Romance) - Moonlight Roses & Murder - Lorri Moulton - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 5 Reviews)
(Paranormal Romance) - Immortal Embrace - Michelle Hughes - (Has 5 Reviews)
(Action/Adventure/Sci-Fi) Sixteen Sunsets - Mark Gardner - (Has 7 Reviews)
(Fantasy) Shadowglade - Kay L. Ling - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 7 Reviews)
(Soft Sci-Fi) Lily of the Valley - Ruth White - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 8 Reviews)
(Mystery) Getting Thin is Murder - Al Moe - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 10 Reviews)
(Fantasy / Children's) Shadowbane - Paul Francois (Has 12 Reviews)
(Clean Romance) What Lies Beneath the Mask - Laura Greenwood - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 12 Reviews)
(Contemporary Romance) Englishwoman in Paris - Jenny O'Brien - In Kindle Unlimited - (Has 14 Reviews)

#1,749 ·
Lorri Moulton said:
The same book I submitted to Kindle Scout, Moonlight Roses & Murder, which is a paranormal romance and a mystery/suspense story.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y1FTL51?ref_=ks_dp_pdm
I'll read yours. I downloaded it the other day. I'm in the middle of two books already (I do that routinely) but we're going on vacation for two weeks starting next Saturday, so I should be able to get to it then.

#1,751 ·
Kay7979 said:
Bill, I see you're running some promos. I just saw you in Book Gorilla. Have you tried them before? Good luck!
I have used Book Gorilla on and off, with reasonable success. That was my first big promo (about 85 sales, mostly on the first day). I don't use them as often as some because they schedule so far ahead it's difficult to coordinate them with other promos. I think they'd be a great combination with ENT, but ENT only schedules one month out, while BG is always booked at least two months in advance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.