Author Topic: Oldest TBR book on your kindle?  (Read 626 times)  

Offline derek alvah

• View Profile
Oldest TBR book on your kindle?
« on: November 05, 2016, 06:41:21 AM »
What is the oldest book on your kindle that you haven't read yet? I've decided that before I buy another book, I'm going to find my oldest "To Be Read" book and read it first. And it is... "His Majesty's Dragon" by Naomi Novik, purchased on June 20, 2010.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
Re: Oldest TBR book on your kindle?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 06:58:30 AM »

Apparently, I bought this book in August of 2008. I paid $5.99. It's now listed for $6.49.

Technically, it's not on any of my kindles . . . . . but it is on my account. And it does appear that I have not read it.

I also found this one from July of 2008:

It's pretty clearly one I picked up for free in my early frenzy of "free books! oh wow! gotta catch 'em all". It's currently for sale at $7.99.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 07:07:35 AM »
I'm in pretty good shape.  Only unread books are on my Kindle and for the most part I go to the end of the list (sorted by most recent) to get my next read.  I'm currently at 19 pages of unread books (150 total) and the last book in the list, "The Diamond Connection: A Jemima Fox Mystery" by Josie Goodbody was purchased on May 21, 2015.

My first Kindle purchase was July 08, 2008 and that was 3,339 books ago (although approximately 300 of them are purchases and reads by someone else on my account)!
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

"Never lose sight of the fact that the most important yardstick of your success will be how you treat other people - your family, friends, and coworkers, and even strangers you meet along the way." ~ Barbara Bush

Offline derek alvah

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 07:12:38 AM »
Do you plan on reading them? It seems that when I'm ready to start the new book I bought, I've already purchased five more "interesting looking" or "couldn't pass up that sale" books and others just end up at the end of the line.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 07:20:52 AM »
Do you plan on reading them? It seems that when I'm ready to start the new book I bought, I've already purchased five more "interesting looking" or "couldn't pass up that sale" books and others just end up at the end of the line.

yeah . . . . which is why there are over 2700 books in my account! :o :o  And, unlike crebel, I can't even claim that a lot are for someone else. ::)  Sure some are for my brother who shares my account and a handful or two are for my husband, but, they're mostly mine! :o

Do I plan to read them? Of course! ;D

I actually culled my account sometime last year -- went through and deleted a BUNCH I'd gotten early on that I realized I'd absolutely picked up only because they were free and because that was such a crazy concept to me at the time! :o So the old ones I still have definitely still appeal. Perhaps for the new year I'll make a resolution to start reading my oldest books . . . . at least 2 a month or something.

Recognizing, of course, that, for any given book, when I start reading, I might decide that, after all, it's not for me, and mark it DNF. When I do that, I delete for sure anything that was free, and probably also anything I paid for if I don't think either my brother or husband would want to read it either.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 07:32:59 AM »
Reading Crebel's post makes me curl up in a ball somewhere. I wish I was that caught up. Yeah, this is how bad we are when I can call 19 pages of unread being caught up.  ;D

My oldest unread book in my account is To Dance with Kings, Rosalind Laker.
I paid a whopping 32 cents for it on December 3rd, 2008. It is currently $10.99

I am not going to count my unreads. Well, I could just look at the numbers of my collections, I do have them in specific ones, but then I'll really have to curl up in a ball. I do intent to read all books at some point. Just don't ask me when, don't ask me how.  :P

I actually have collections by year for purpose of reading older stuff. So I'll dip into the 2010 purchased, or the 2013 purchased. That way I can still pick a mood read, but try to read off some older stuff also.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 07:35:43 AM by Atunah »

Member since 11/20/2008  | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 07:37:38 AM »

I do plan on reading them!  I wouldn't have bought them (even for free) if they weren't something I planned to read.  The 150 books currently on my Kindle are generally about 6 months worth of reading for me. 

The fact that my oldest book yet to be read is 18 months old does mean it has been skipped over for some newer books, that the previous oldest book led to reading an entire series before moving on to the next, or that I had borrowed books with a time limit I got to first.

eta:  I certainly understand the 'purchased five more interesting looking or couldn't pass up that sale books'!  Can't take a chance on running out of something to read. Books still to be read = immortality, right?? :D
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 07:42:08 AM by crebel »
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

"Never lose sight of the fact that the most important yardstick of your success will be how you treat other people - your family, friends, and coworkers, and even strangers you meet along the way." ~ Barbara Bush

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 07:51:47 AM »
Reading Crebel's post makes me curl up in a ball somewhere. I wish I was that caught up. Yeah, this is how bad we are when I can call 19 pages of unread being caught up.  ;D

My oldest unread book in my account is To Dance with Kings, Rosalind Laker.
I paid a whopping 32 cents for it on December 3rd, 2008. It is currently $10.99

I got the same book at the same time! Also for 32 cents. ;)  Apparently it's been republished (new ASIN) since then, though, because I can't go to it from the link in MYC&D. Your link took me to a page, but it doesn't have the 'you bought this' note. I did read it . . . it was pretty good, as I recall -- I gave it 4 of 5 stars.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 08:09:40 AM »
There were some great deals in those days, paid and great freebies too. Then suddenly there was this rush of freebies and I went nuts for a while. I did my pruning couple of years ago. Must have deleted 900 books or so at the time. Now I vet freebies the same as paid.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 08:13:28 AM »
There were some great deals in those days, paid and great freebies too. Then suddenly there was this rush of freebies and I went nuts for a while. I did my pruning couple of years ago. Must have deleted 900 books or so at the time. Now I vet freebies the same as paid.

^^^^ Yep.

I was a bit embarrassed when I found some of the things I'd gotten free -- not sure what possessed me! :o

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline EC Sheedy

• BC, Canada
  • "Words are Deeds." Wittgenstein
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2016, 10:53:46 AM »
I'm afraid to look too deep into my kindle.  :o

I, too, went a little book mad with all the freebies and sale books. Honestly, when I look at a few of my picks now, I ask myself, "What was I thinking!"  :-\ I've since become much more selective, and I pretty much read what I buy soon after I buy it (unless I absolutely can't get into it) and plan to stay much more current in my reading going forward.

Unread books make me feel terribly guilty . . .

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2016, 11:26:29 AM »
I am blaming some of the freebies I got on sleep walking one clicking. Yep, that's my story and I am sticking to it.  :P

Although I still don't always read recently bought books any sooner. I just like sales and they aren't going to expire like mushrooms. They'll be there in the account when I need them. I don't really feel guilty though. I feel good because I saved money buying it on sale.  ;D

Offline readingril

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2016, 11:54:48 AM »
Only My Love by Jo Goodman is the oldest on my Voyage, purchased December 2014.

And Thereby Hangs a Tale by Jeffrey Archer is the oldest under what was formerly known as MYK from 2010. It's curious to see how many of those older books lead to dead Amazon links.

Calico Palace by Gwen Bristow was borrowed under KU 08/15(!!!!) and still hasn't been read. The book isn't in KU anymore. I read it in my teens* and really want to reread it... one of these days, but other KU books keep bumping it. The next oldest KU book was borrowed in July of this year. The problem is squeezing them in amidst the Overdrive borrows and the justhavetoreadrightnow purchases.

Great idea for a thread!

*I was gonna say in my teens on my Kindle and wonder if anyone called me on it. ;)

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
  • Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2016, 01:53:00 PM »

My first Kindle purchase was the above book, a totally reasonable purchase for me (especially at $1.99), but I never have got around to reading it. My memory is that I ordered this and the second book before my K2 arrived, and they were on my Kindle when I unboxed it.

Second book the next day was a collection of out-of-copyright science fiction, and I read one of the novels immediately, and have read others since, so a legit purchase.

Third book (also on day 2) was a computer science (I assume from the cover and title image) that was insane for me, I had and have no interest in the subject. The book is no longer on Amazon, I assume I got it because it was free! Embarrassing, since I've bragged that I avoided falling for the "click on everything that is free" mentality, and in general I did avoid it.

(Make your own reading bar)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Online NogDog

• Ankh-Morpork
  • My best friend Noggin -- R.I.P.
    • View Profile
    • eBookworm.us
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2016, 02:55:08 PM »
My guess is that the oldest TBR book on my Kindle account is not the same as the oldest WEBR (won't ever be read) book. :)

(Make your own reading bar)
Music Ed. major working as a software developer -- go figure | Member since 04/30/2009 | My Blog | GoodReads page
"Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett in Night Watch

Offline marianneg

• Dallas, TX
    • View Profile
    • Mariannerisms: my ramblings about books, TV, and life
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2016, 11:55:42 AM »
Interesting thread. The first book I "purchased" for my Kindle was Flash, which happened to be free at the time. It still sounds interesting, so hopefully I'll get around to it one of these days. I'm one who succumbed to the siren song of free books for several years, so unfortunately I can't say that about all of those early freebies.

The first one that I payed money for that I haven't read yet is Prayer - 10th Anniversary Edition: Finding the Heart's True Home. It's actually on my Kindle right now waiting to be read. His books tend to be pretty dense, so it's easy to put off.
Read my blog about books, TV, and my life at mariannerisms.wordpress.com
Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Pinterest
Friend me at Goodreads

Offline bookmonster

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2016, 12:26:04 PM »
My oldest unread is added June 6, 2014.  It's part of a 5 book series and I keep stalling out on book 1.  My very 1st Kindle purchase was   I already owned (and had read) the paperback, but I wanted it to be the 1st book I read on my Kindle.  I'm up to book 40 in that series but I still reread Naked in Death at least once a year ;D

Offline Chad Winters

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2016, 02:38:17 PM »
got my first Kindle in 2008....so 2008 is my oldest unread book I'm pretty sure, I went a little crazy at the beginning

2746 books on my Kindle account and I read 50-100 per year....this isn't good   :o
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 02:48:41 PM by Chad Winters »

Member since 10/28/2008 | (make your own reading bar)

Offline Tuttle

• Lancre
  • The Turtle Moves
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2016, 04:30:49 PM »
When I got my voyage I went through what are the books I'll actually read and which ones are books I probably won't. I redid my TBR pile at that point in time. And have been adding since. So I'm sure I have older books in my account than my oldest TBR.

My oldest TBR is Feed by Mira Grant.
Everything is magic when you dont know what it is. Your sliding rule is a magic wand to most people. - Raising Steam

Voyage - Brutha
K2 - Dr Worblehat

Offline Geoffrey

• Dallas, Texas
  • Live! Live! Live! Life is a Banquet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2016, 04:02:10 PM »
Like Ann, my oldest unread book is from August 2008 and technically not on my kindle: