Author Topic: Issues connecting to Win7 computer on LAN with 5th gen Kindle Fire...  (Read 722 times)  

Offline paydepst

• View Profile
I am running Win7 Pro 64 bit on my desktop computer which is hardwired to my network. I have a Kindle Fire and whenever I try to browse across the network and access the Win7, I can see it but I cannot open it. I always get a bad path or general login failure message on the Fire using apps like ES File Explorer or Solid File Manager. I can browse to and access the Win7 from any other computer on the network so the problem seems to be with the Kindle-Win7 interface. The Kindle has no trouble whatsoever browsing to and accessing a computer running XP Pro 32bit that is wirelessly connected to the network however. I've tried several different file management apps on the Kindle and I have to admit I'm stumped. I'm beginning to wonder if it's some sort of bug in 7 64 bit, the Kindle OS, or both.

Any thoughts/ help  on this would be greatly appreciated. I've posted in a couple of other computer forums and have been completely ignored. I'm a little more hopeful now since I found this dedicated Kindle forum. Many thanks.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
Re: Issues connecting to Win7 computer on LAN with 5th gen Kindle Fire...
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 12:15:26 PM »
I am not aware that the Fire tablet can be used as a 'host' when connected to another computer. It's certainly not meant to be. At least, the documentation only ever talks about connecting it for file transfer when it's treated by the desktop as a removable drive. I don't do that often anyway, but when I have I've never tried to see what's on the desktop by playing with the tablet. And it truly surprises me that you can do it in Windows XP. :o

Throwing out random thoughts: it could be the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit OSs?

And, rather than being a bug in the Fire OS, it may there was a conscious decision to disable the ability.

If you've not done so, you might also want to ask the question on MobileRead. I'm not SURE they have a section over there about Fires, but there are definitely more people into the technical details of Kindles. Frankly, most of us here are don't dive that deep into the software or hardware. The most people have done is some very minor hacking to put their own sleep pictures on the Kindle and a few people have rooted to put alternate launchers on the Fire.

Hope you get an answer! Sorry not to be more helpful. :(

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline paydepst

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 05:58:58 AM »
Thanks for the prompt reply and no apologies necessary!  :D

I initially thought it was a 32 bit-64 bit issue too but Amazon says the Kindle Fire 5th gens are running a 64 bit OS. I'm truly befuddled now!

Offline Readirect

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 07:32:33 AM »
If both devices (PC & tablet) are on the same network, you can do what you want with one of the (many) file transfer programs available. You might have to hunt around for another Android app store but there are many of them and they all work basically the same way: The idea is to set your PC browser to a particular (internal) URL suggested by the Android app and that Android app connects to that address; allowing you to browse your PC and transfer files from the tablet or vice-versa.

It's quite easy. It's been awhile since I've done this and I don't recall the apps that I've used but I've done this using several.