Author Topic: Okay, so who does audiobooks?  (Read 4154 times)  

Offline Claire_Gem

• View Profile
Okay, so who does audiobooks?
« on: November 17, 2016, 11:01:06 AM »
I admit, I'm hooked.  ;D My friend turned me on to Audible a couple years ago, and I have listened to over 200 titles since then! I just had another one come out a few weeks ago, and am in the process of narrating my next one myself.

Has anyone else discovered the wonder of audiobooks? If you commute more than 10 minutes, you definitely should!

Claire Gem
Strong Women, Starting Over ~ Redefining Romance
Phantom Traces: Foreshadows: 25%
Intensely Emotional Contemporary Romance, sometimes w/Paranormal Elements
Claire Gem | Emotional Journeys | Claire Gem | Erato Publishing | Amazon Author Page | Frances Susanne Brown

Offline NogDog

• Ankh-Morpork
  • My best friend Noggin -- R.I.P.
    • View Profile
    • eBookworm.us
Re: Okay, so who does audiobooks?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 01:18:13 PM »
To date I have zero interest in listening to books. For all I know, if I tried it, I might like it -- but I love reading myself, at my pace, re-reading sentences or paragraphs that I particularly love or didn't understand, pausing to think about what the author just said...or skipping over boring exposition. :)

But ultimately, I think it's a different medium, in essence. Just like watching a movie is different than reading a book, I think listening to someone else read is a different experience than reading it yourself (though likely much less different than the movie/book comparison). Is one better than the other? That's purely subjective and situational. I wouldn't even be surprised if neuro-scientists doing MRI's would find out that your brain processes the story/information differently based on whether you read or listen to a book. Maybe the ultimate reading experience would be to read along while listening? :)

(Make your own reading bar)
Music Ed. major working as a software developer -- go figure | Member since 04/30/2009 | My Blog | GoodReads page
"Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett in Night Watch

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 05:38:34 PM »
Nog Dog explained my position exactly. :)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline NogDog

• Ankh-Morpork
  • My best friend Noggin -- R.I.P.
    • View Profile
    • eBookworm.us
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 05:45:33 PM »
Nog Dog explained my position exactly. :)

I always knew we were soul mates. ;)

(Make your own reading bar)
Music Ed. major working as a software developer -- go figure | Member since 04/30/2009 | My Blog | GoodReads page
"Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett in Night Watch

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 05:51:28 PM »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline silenceiseverything

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 06:04:27 PM »
I so wish I could do audiobooks since I have an extremely long commute and sometimes I get sick of listening to music.  But it just takes so long for me to get into them and to not let my mind wander that I tend not to bother.  I've listened to a few all the way through, but it's rare.

Offline TriciaJ82

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 07:05:58 PM »
I love audiobooks! I am an avid knitter and reader and they solve the problem of how to knit and change pages at the same time;) The big thing for me is that I am able to speed them up 2x. I think it has to do with how I grew up, my father is completely blind (since birth) and he would play them without headphones all the time. It hardwired me a little different;) I cannot listen to them at any other speed, my mind starts to wander. My audiobook genres are different from my kindle choices though. I tend to listen to cozy mysteries, general fiction etc via audio and everything else kindle.

Online Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 07:55:31 PM »
Maybe the ultimate reading experience would be to read along while listening? :)

I do that with immersion reading. I started using immersion reading because it turns the pages for me and I came to enjoy it because it slows down my reading speed.

Audio books used to put me to sleep but someone suggested I try them again to relieve the boredom of walking the dog. It worked and now I listen when I'm walking for exercise, too. I still read books, but I don't really have a lot of time to just sit and read. Audio books are the solution for me.

Just about finished listening to the entire Potter series.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 04:29:40 AM »
I got into listening to audio books a few years ago, because although I liked to read in bed, I could never find a comfortable position to do so.

I don't like to read lying down and sitting in bed always makes my back hurt. So audio books are a great alternative - I can lie down, close my eyes and immerse myself in the story - no sleep problems caused by staring at a screen and if I think I might fall asleep I can put it on timer. Once I got used to the idea of audio books, I started listening at other times of the day too, like when doing boring stuff, like the housework.  :D

But I do still prefer the actual reading process, as NogDog describes it, though listening is an enjoyable - if different - experience, but only with the right narrator. I'm constantly frustrated by finding an audio book I'd like to listen to, only to try the sample and realise I couldn't listen to that voice for five minutes, never mind ten hours or whatever.  :o  That's the one advantage of reading, especially on a Kindle where you can change the font and print size and generally tailor things to your preferences.
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Offline Claire_Gem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 06:20:49 AM »
I love audiobooks! I am an avid knitter and reader and they solve the problem of how to knit and change pages at the same time;) The big thing for me is that I am able to speed them up 2x. I think it has to do with how I grew up, my father is completely blind (since birth) and he would play them without headphones all the time. It hardwired me a little different;) I cannot listen to them at any other speed, my mind starts to wander. My audiobook genres are different from my kindle choices though. I tend to listen to cozy mysteries, general fiction etc via audio and everything else kindle.

I'd never thought of returning to my long-ignored knitting hobby while listening! What a great idea! I can't WRITE while I'm listening, but I could certainly knit.

sorry -- no promotion in the Book Corner. :) -- Ann
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 10:13:39 AM by Ann in Arlington »
Claire Gem | Emotional Journeys | Claire Gem | Erato Publishing | Amazon Author Page | Frances Susanne Brown

Offline Claire_Gem

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 06:24:44 AM »
To date I have zero interest in listening to books. For all I know, if I tried it, I might like it -- but I love reading myself, at my pace, re-reading sentences or paragraphs that I particularly love or didn't understand, pausing to think about what the author just said...or skipping over boring exposition. :)

But ultimately, I think it's a different medium, in essence. Just like watching a movie is different than reading a book, I think listening to someone else read is a different experience than reading it yourself (though likely much less different than the movie/book comparison). Is one better than the other? That's purely subjective and situational. I wouldn't even be surprised if neuro-scientists doing MRI's would find out that your brain processes the story/information differently based on whether you read or listen to a book. Maybe the ultimate reading experience would be to read along while listening? :)

I was exactly like you, NogDog. I had NO interest in listening at all. Then my coworker, who is quite persistent, gave me a free month's trial to Audible. That was over 200 books ago...
And yes, you are right, it is definitely a different experience than reading, or watching film. I utilize that difference to help improve my writing, though. I wrote a blog post about that recently if you're interested. https://smpauthors.wordpress.com/2016/11/14/to-improving-our-craft-hear-hear/

Thanks for chiming in!

Offline Claire_Gem

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 06:29:16 AM »
I got into listening to audio books a few years ago, because although I liked to read in bed, I could never find a comfortable position to do so.

I don't like to read lying down and sitting in bed always makes my back hurt. So audio books are a great alternative - I can lie down, close my eyes and immerse myself in the story - no sleep problems caused by staring at a screen and if I think I might fall asleep I can put it on timer. Once I got used to the idea of audio books, I started listening at other times of the day too, like when doing boring stuff, like the housework.  :D

But I do still prefer the actual reading process, as NogDog describes it, though listening is an enjoyable - if different - experience, but only with the right narrator. I'm constantly frustrated by finding an audio book I'd like to listen to, only to try the sample and realise I couldn't listen to that voice for five minutes, never mind ten hours or whatever.  :o  That's the one advantage of reading, especially on a Kindle where you can change the font and print size and generally tailor things to your preferences.

I don't know HOW you do that, listening in bed. :-X If I'm not driving or doing something else with my hands, I'm asleep, no matter HOW good the book is!

And you're right, the narrator can make or break a book. After listening to Nora Roberts' Boonesboro Trilogy, I'm convinced that the books wouldn't have been nearly as appealing without MacLeod Andrews doing the narration. I always do a listen to the sample to see if I could listen to that voice for 8 hours or more.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 07:47:33 AM »
I've discovered that I enjoy having my Echo read my audiobooks to me.  But it does take a lot longer for me to "read" a book this way.  I read much faster on my own.  There is no way I could follow along with a print book as someone else reads - I'd go crazy.
The narrator makes a BIG difference.  I own almost all of Terry Pratchett's books in audible form - except for a few of my favorite witch books because I can't stand the narrator.  Thank goodness Audible has the sample feature so you can check ahead of time.
I will also listen in the car from time to time since I have a long commute, but that works best with books I already know:  Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Pratchett, etc.

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 05:22:55 PM »
I've discovered that I enjoy having my Echo read my audiobooks to me.  But it does take a lot longer for me to "read" a book this way.  I read much faster on my own.  There is no way I could follow along with a print book as someone else reads - I'd go crazy.
The narrator makes a BIG difference.  I own almost all of Terry Pratchett's books in audible form - except for a few of my favorite witch books because I can't stand the narrator.  Thank goodness Audible has the sample feature so you can check ahead of time.
I will also listen in the car from time to time since I have a long commute, but that works best with books I already know:  Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Pratchett, etc.

I hadn't thought about listening to Lord of the Rings. Do you have the Rob Inglis narration or the dramatization?

Offline TWErvin2

• Ohio, USA
    • View Profile
    • ervin-author.com
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2016, 04:58:43 PM »
Audiobooks supplement my ability to 'read'. I can listen to them while driving and doing mundane work around the house.

My family does listen when we drive places, which is a neat experience.

Offline pdworkman

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2016, 07:46:41 PM »
I love audiobooks. I listen while I'm running, on my bicycle commute, driving, while I'm cooking or washing dishes, basically anything that doesn't require me to do a lot of thinking, including data entry on the computer.

I write riveting young adult and suspense fiction about mental illness, addiction, and abuse.
P.D. Workman | Web | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Shanna Moncuse

• Author and lover of books, manga, and beagles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2016, 05:36:53 PM »
I can't do audiobooks. When I hear something read to me, I don't process it as well as when I'm reading on my own.

Shanna Moncuse | Facebook | Goodreads | Twitter

Offline Joseph J Bailey

• View Profile
    • Joseph J. Bailey - Author
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2016, 07:56:57 PM »
I have a 10-minute commute to work each day and come home for lunch.

I welcome knocking out several audiobooks each month on my drive.

The best part?

I listen to most of these books for free through my library!

I log in to the Hoopla app with my library card (just as I do with the Overdrive app for ebooks) and listen away.

The selection is not perfect but I am always surprised by the number of interesting titles I am able to unearth.

Joseph J. Bailey | Website | Facebook | Goodreads

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2016, 08:24:32 PM »
I have tried so many times to make audiobooks work for me, but its just not going to happen. I read much faster than the audio book drones on. I also drift. I thought I could listen while folding clothes, doing chores, but every time my mind drifts and I can't remember a darn thing what was said. Nothing. I would never be able to listen in the car. I have to concentrate on driving, I don't even remember the songs on the radio if I do listen to it while I drive.

Its like I cannot get into the story when its read. I also don't like having a book acted to me. Not sure how to explain it, but someone said its like watching a movie, its a different experience. It takes away my own imagination. I feel disconnected to the characters and the tone of the story. I am not picking up any emotions when its read to me. Those happen within me, while I quietly read. I cannot process them when I listen. Although I can get emotions for movies and TV, so I am not sure what it is. I would have to sit in one spot, close my eyes and try to listen. That defeats the purpose for me, I might as well read and that won't take that long.

Yeah I tried, again and again and again. My brain I guess isn't wired to enjoy books that way.

Maybe it would be different for non fiction, but I have no interest in reading that at all.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline pdworkman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2016, 09:07:26 PM »
I use both Hoopla and Overdrive for audiobooks. Hoopla limits me to 6 per month, and that's not enough.

And like others, I listen on 1.5x or 2.0x speed.

I write riveting young adult and suspense fiction about mental illness, addiction, and abuse.
P.D. Workman | Web | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Claire_Gem

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2016, 02:22:10 AM »
I have a 10-minute commute to work each day and come home for lunch.

I welcome knocking out several audiobooks each month on my drive.

The best part?

I listen to most of these books for free through my library!

I log in to the Hoopla app with my library card (just as I do with the Overdrive app for ebooks) and listen away.

The selection is not perfect but I am always surprised by the number of interesting titles I am able to unearth.

Wow, it would take me MONTHS to finish even ONE audiobook with a 10 minute commute! Most of the ones I listen to are 12+ hours long. It's great you utilize even those could-be-wasted minutes, though. Thanks for chiming in  :)

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2016, 05:10:25 AM »
Wow, it would take me MONTHS to finish even ONE audiobook with a 10 minute commute! Most of the ones I listen to are 12+ hours long. It's great you utilize even those could-be-wasted minutes, though. Thanks for chiming in  :)

One thing . . . there are a lot of books from Amazon that have audio versions as well and if you buy them both, you can sync between them. So that would let you 'eye read' when you can and 'ear read' the same book when you can't. :)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2016, 07:22:17 AM »
I hadn't thought about listening to Lord of the Rings. Do you have the Rob Inglis narration or the dramatization?

I have the Rob Inglis narration - he's the only reason I managed to finally get all the way through The Two Towers :)

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2016, 09:47:39 AM »
I have the Rob Inglis narration - he's the only reason I managed to finally get all the way through The Two Towers :)

Thanks. I'll have to see about getting those. I've got two credits outstanding right now.

Offline Claire_Gem

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2016, 02:28:42 AM »
One thing . . . there are a lot of books from Amazon that have audio versions as well and if you buy them both, you can sync between them. So that would let you 'eye read' when you can and 'ear read' the same book when you can't. :)

Great suggestion! That's one option I have explored yet (i.e., learned how to use!)