Author Topic: Okay, so who does audiobooks?  (Read 4163 times)  

Offline PMKeith

• Charleston, WV
    • View Profile
Re: Okay, so who does audiobooks?
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2016, 09:05:17 AM »
I commute 3 hours a day . . . so I do a lot of audiobooks.  I've been listening to books on tape/cd . . . etc. for many years.

Offline Claire_Gem

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2016, 09:50:37 AM »
I commute 3 hours a day . . . so I do a lot of audiobooks.  I've been listening to books on tape/cd . . . etc. for many years.

Thanks for chiming in. I think it's a medium not many people embrace, but would love it if they did. Glad to see Audible is starting to do more advertising. I was surprised to see a couple billboards on the Massachusetts Turnpike advertising them.
Phantom Traces: Foreshadows: 25%
Intensely Emotional Contemporary Romance, sometimes w/Paranormal Elements
Claire Gem | Emotional Journeys | Claire Gem | Erato Publishing | Amazon Author Page | Frances Susanne Brown

Offline PaulLev

• New York City
  • I was here three months from now.
    • View Profile
    • Paul Levinson's Infinite Regress
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2016, 07:26:32 PM »
To date I have zero interest in listening to books. For all I know, if I tried it, I might like it -- but I love reading myself, at my pace, re-reading sentences or paragraphs that I particularly love or didn't understand, pausing to think about what the author just said...or skipping over boring exposition. :)

But ultimately, I think it's a different medium, in essence. Just like watching a movie is different than reading a book, I think listening to someone else read is a different experience than reading it yourself (though likely much less different than the movie/book comparison). Is one better than the other? That's purely subjective and situational. I wouldn't even be surprised if neuro-scientists doing MRI's would find out that your brain processes the story/information differently based on whether you read or listen to a book. Maybe the ultimate reading experience would be to read along while listening? :)

Excellent analysis.  But the way, prior to printing press, when the availability of books was extremely limited (to say the least), the way most people experienced books was by hearing them read.   Most people in those days were illiterate.

Online NogDog

• Ankh-Morpork
  • My best friend Noggin -- R.I.P.
    • View Profile
    • eBookworm.us
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2016, 08:22:14 PM »
. . . Most people in those days were illiterate.

And at least in most of Europe, they probably only had one book read to them. ;)

(Make your own reading bar)
Music Ed. major working as a software developer -- go figure | Member since 04/30/2009 | My Blog | GoodReads page
"Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett in Night Watch

Offline PaulLev

• New York City
  • I was here three months from now.
    • View Profile
    • Paul Levinson's Infinite Regress
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2016, 09:21:28 PM »
And at least in most of Europe, they probably only had one book read to them. ;)

Exactly - a "Good" book.

Offline Someone Nameless

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2016, 04:21:49 PM »
I love audiobooks too!  I've been a member of audible for as long as I can remember.  I mostly listen to them after I go to bed.  No difficulty falling asleep and I can't tell you how many times I've finished the same book.   :o  I rewind it every night but I eventually finish.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~ Groucho Marx

Offline dakila

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2016, 05:25:26 AM »
I do listen to audiobooks when I am about to sleep.  ::)The narration tends to make me sleepy. I prefer Drama Cds over audiobooks. Drama Cds (specially the Japanese ones) are movies in my ears. Whatever genre, be it thriller, mystery, or romance, they never fail to leave listeners under eargasm. ;D ;D

Slice of life. Sweetness in love. Pain.
Dakila Reed | Wordpress | Tweeter | Facebook page | Amazon page

Offline aliceblossom

• Seattle
  • Midnight reader extraordinnaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2016, 02:17:22 PM »
I think audiobooks are pretty great personally, I can just load it up and listen on the subway or on my commute. It's pretty convenient for me at least.
Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.

P.J. ORourke

Offline moosebegab

• New York
    • View Profile
    • moosebegab
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2016, 09:31:29 AM »
I never thought I'd enjoy audiobooks but now they're my first choice.

When I first started listening, my ebook reading dropped significantly.
But it's coming back up slowly.

My preferred reading time has always been at bed time so I can relax.
My neurotic tendencies can't tolerate daytime interruptions.

Now I'm mostly audio at night (sometimes both audio and ebook, different books)
and ebook during wait times.
E-ink reader: KPW1 - past: KK, PRS505
Audiobooks: Sandisk Clip Sport, Jam; Nexus 7

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2016, 09:35:14 AM »
I don't get in a lot of audio time, but it does surpass my ebook time some days. It depends if I get in a second walk during the day. My reading/listening time has been greatly reduced for the last few years. That's why I set aside specific times to read/listen each day.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline KateDanley

• View Profile
    • KateDanley.com
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2016, 10:20:23 AM »
Audiobooks can be hit or miss for me (it is TOTALLY narrator driven), but I have become a HUGE fan of radio plays.  Cabin PressureWelcome to Our Village, Please Invade Carefully: Series 1?   LOVE!!  I also discovered that Echo will stream BBC Radio 4, which is rich with radio plays.  ADORE!

Kate Danley | Website | Facebook | Blog | Newsletter | Instagram

Offline KateDanley

• View Profile
    • KateDanley.com
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2016, 10:22:34 AM »
P.S.  There is a MASSIVE sale going on Audible right now.  I'm snatching up audiobooks left and right for cheaper than credits!

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2016, 10:45:14 AM »
Audiobooks can be hit or miss for me (it is TOTALLY narrator driven), but I have become a HUGE fan of radio plays.  Cabin PressureWelcome to Our Village, Please Invade Carefully: Series 1?   LOVE!!  I also discovered that Echo will stream BBC Radio 4, which is rich with radio plays.  ADORE!

Alexa doesn't seem to understand. What command do you use to get the radio plays?

P.S.  There is a MASSIVE sale going on Audible right now.  I'm snatching up audiobooks left and right for cheaper than credits!

I know. I'm afraid to look. My backlist keeps getting longer.

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2016, 11:03:48 AM »
I love audiobooks. I love reading on my kindle as well, but some days it just doesn't happen much. I can listen to audiobooks while getting ready in the morning or while doing boring tasks around the house. I especially like to listen to them if I am knitting, as others have mentioned. I feel that I am getting so much done if I can knit and "read" a book at the same time! :)  Sometimes I am just too tired to read, so the audiobooks are great for that. For the most part I feel like the audio version can really bring the book to life if it has good narrator(s).

I like to get the kindle book from the library and then buy the audible version (usually for a very cheap price) and switch between the versions, depending on what I am doing that day. i can get through the book much faster that way.

Offline KateDanley

• View Profile
    • KateDanley.com
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2016, 12:39:11 PM »
Alexa doesn't seem to understand. What command do you use to get the radio plays?

I know. I'm afraid to look. My backlist keeps getting longer.

I've just said, "Play BBC Radio 4" and she does it.  And then for the audiobooks, I say, "Play Cabin Pressure on Audible."  She sometimes is a little finicky, though, and I find I have to go to the app on my phone and play from there.

Offline M R Mortimer

• Australia
  • SF writer
    • View Profile
    • Suspended Earth - Official site of M R Mortimer
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2016, 02:43:54 PM »
As part of my day job, I drive a lot. Some weeks I break 2 or 3 thousand kilometers. Audio books are a great idea for this, yet I still haven't gotten into them. I know a few people who have though, so I know there is an audience among the world's drivers. I hope to do some eventually.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 02:45:37 PM by M R Mortimer »
|

Australian Science Fiction and Fantasy Author
M R Mortimer | Author Web Site Facebook Page | Twitter Page | Fantasy Series

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2016, 05:58:21 PM »
I've just said, "Play BBC Radio 4" and she does it.  And then for the audiobooks, I say, "Play Cabin Pressure on Audible."  She sometimes is a little finicky, though, and I find I have to go to the app on my phone and play from there.

Okay, that's what I said but I was using Alexa from my tablet. It's my tablet, I think, that's finicky. I'll try it again. I still have to set up my second Dot.

Offline barryem

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2016, 04:27:27 PM »
I just tried "Alexa Play BBC Radio 4" on my Echo and sure enough, it played it from Tune-In.  When I first got my Echo I opened an account with Tune-In to listen to radio stations.  It can play most radio stations from just about anywhere.  I haven't used that much but now and then I'll try something like this and it works because I have the Tune-in account.  It's a free account, by the way.  It was just a matter of signing up and not opting for the premium account.

Anyway it worked.

For anyone who isn't familiar with BBC Radio 4, it's probably the single best source in the history of the world for high quality drama.  Okay, I'm being conservative.  It's way better than that. :)

People in England, which used to be the only place you could hear it, used to love to record their broadcasts and distribute them for free around the internet.  This began in the days before "piracy" became a thing.  I think it was even legal then.  Anyway I was curious and I downloaded a few things and listened and I was amazed.  I've been listening ever since.  Now I can get it legitimately and I do.

The quality of their dramatizations is superb.  You see they have a special trick:  they care.  And they spend money and they make sure it's among their highest art forms.  It's a wonder.  Of course when they dramatize something American it can get funny.  While some Brits do American accents well they don't do regional accents nearly as well.

I began listening to plays and poetry from the library on LP from Caedmon when I was in my teens.  I couldn't afford to buy it then but the Houston library had a good collection.  Then when I was working and had to do a lot of driving a couple decades later getting into audiobooks was a natural.  I read all the time when I wasn't driving and listened when I was.  It's one of the few times I've ever had more than one book going at a time, one in print and one to listen to.

When I began to get cataracts they didn't want to do surgery due to an eye injury I'd had as a child so as my eyes got worse and I had to reserve what reading time I could do for work related stuff, I listened more and more to audiobooks.  Frankly I never minded that.

After I got my surgery I went back to reading but only part time.  I listened as much, maybe more, than I read.  Then I got a Kindle and I kind of forgot about listening to books.

I still listen a lot to audiodrama and to readings of short stories.  Also to a lot of OTR.  I listened to Gunsmoke, the radio version with William Conrad (Canon) as Matt Dillon yesterday.

Sorry folks but all this nonsense about listening is inferior to reading is just, well, nonsense.  They're different but not so very different.  It's not the medium that matters.  It's the content.  When we listen we're getting it filtered through a narrator and that can be either a good or a bad thing, depending on the narrator.  Sometimes a narrator can really ruin a book.  Sometimes they make it magic.  Most often they're pretty neutral.

If you want to try listening to something magic try listening to Jenna Lamia's reading of Tracy Chevalier's "The Girl with the Pearl Earring".  It's a very nice book with a narrator who makes it breathe.  I can't give a link to that because now Audible only sells a different version unless you want it abridged.

Or listen to Kristofer Tabori read Jeffery Eugenides "Middlesex".  A magnificent novel and an amazing reading.  I feel sorry for those who only read this book with their eyes.

http://www.audible.com/pd/Fiction/Middlesex-Audiobook/B002UUFUSU/ref=a_search_c4_1_1_srTtl?qid=1481501738&sr=1-1

If you want to try for magic in audiodrama look for Galbraith's "The Forsyte Saga" from BBC Radio 4.  It ain't gonna get no better'n that!

http://www.audible.com/pd/Fiction/The-Forsyte-Saga-Dramatised-Audiobook/B0045VT4RA/ref=a_search_c4_1_6_srTtl?qid=1481501653&sr=1-6

Barry

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2016, 05:32:43 PM »
Barryem, I loved the Forsyte Saga. I'll have to try that. Tune-In here I come ... as soon as I get my Dot set up. I don't think it will work on my tablet.

Offline barryem

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2016, 05:37:55 PM »
I just tried using my Fire for BBC Radio 4 and it worked just fine.  It still used Tune-in.  Do you have a Tune-In account?

Barry

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2016, 05:41:12 PM »
I just tried using my Fire for BBC Radio 4 and it worked just fine.  It still used Tune-in.  Do you have a Tune-In account?

Barry

No, but since it's free and you say I can use it on my tablet, I'll go for it.

Offline barryem

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2016, 07:34:02 AM »
This morning in some tech blog I saw a reference to a new book on the history of Audiobooks.  Here's a link to the book:
https://www.amazon.com/Untold-Story-Talking-Book/dp/0674545443/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481556323&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Untold+Story+of+the+Talking+Book

It's "The Untold Story of the Talking Book" by Matthew Rubery.  I don't want to read hardbacks so I bought the Audible version.  I'm hoping it'll be interesting.

Those interested in discussing this topic might want to read it.  From the little bit I've heard so far it seems there's a lot more to the history of audiobooks than I would have guessed, going back even into ancient history.

It seems the topic of whether books were as good as audiobooks became a serious discussion when the first one was made by Thomas Edison recording his recitation of "Mary Had a Little Lamb".  I bet you didn't know that.  I sure didn't. :)

Barry

Offline Kal241

• Things are never what they seem
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2017, 06:52:01 PM »
I used to listen to audio versions of the Harry Potter series, back when I was into magic and such (that part of my life is SO over lol).

To take the conversation in a slightly different direction, I can't be the only one who has thought about turning my projects into audiobooks, right? How would one go about doing this the indie way? If anyone has any experience doing this, I'd be very interested.

An artist and a writer combined into one being. When you work with Kal, you get a 2-4-1 deal!  

Check out my artistry at: http://kal241.deviantart.com/
Writing samples of mine will be made available upon request.

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2017, 07:10:30 PM »
I used to listen to audio versions of the Harry Potter series, back when I was into magic and such (that part of my life is SO over lol).

Not for me!  8)

To take the conversation in a slightly different direction, I can't be the only one who has thought about turning my projects into audiobooks, right? How would one go about doing this the indie way? If anyone has any experience doing this, I'd be very interested.

Check for threads on ACX in the Writer's Cafe. Especially look for thread by Mark Cooper. He knows whereof he speaks.

Offline ASDeMatteis

• Las Vegas
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2017, 10:43:33 AM »
I'd like to try audio books, but I feel like I wouldn't retain the information as well as if I was actually reading.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac