Author Topic: Okay, so who does audiobooks?  (Read 3502 times)  

Offline WHDean

• Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Okay, so who does audiobooks?
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2017, 06:55:20 PM »
I'd like to try audio books, but I feel like I wouldn't retain the information as well as if I was actually reading.

That was my concern, too, because I mostly listen to nonfiction. There are tricks you can use if you're worried about retaining information (ask the Oracle). I use the easiest of all: I listen to audiobooks I want to remember a second time a few weeks after the first reading. It's amazing how much you retain after the second hearing.

By the way, you won't have a problem listening again. I thought I would, but the experience is different the second time around. You're struck by what you forgot, and you listen for the details you want to remember.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 06:58:02 PM by WHDean »

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2017, 07:44:10 PM »
I'd like to try audio books, but I feel like I wouldn't retain the information as well as if I was actually reading.
I don't listen to non-fiction for just this reason. But I listen to a WHOLE LOT of fiction that doesn't have to be retained. And if it's not retained too much, then it's a great listen the second, third, fourth, ... go round.
Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Offline TammyC

• PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2017, 12:22:27 PM »
I've just started listening to audio books in the past year or so.  I really enjoy them, although I'm extremely picky about the narrator. I've passed on a few books that sound great, but I can't listed to the narrator. That being said I only listed to them in the car or sometimes while I'm cleaning around the house. If I am sitting down to read it will be a real/kindle book. Audio books have made drives much more enjoyable though. I hate listening to the same music the radio stations play over and over and over.

Tammy

Offline Ellie Lynn

• Contemporary and Historical Romance Author
    • View Profile
    • Ellie Lynn
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2017, 10:36:01 AM »
I do a lot of driving back and forth to job sites from home.  I have long stretches where there is no radio signal, and I get tired of the same cd's over and over. So I love audiobooks for those endless hours on the road.

Under a Calico Moon: 78%

Highland Rogue: 30%
Ellie Lynn | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline barryem

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2017, 02:45:18 PM »

How do you know that?  Of course the answer is you can't possibly know it.  You probably worry that it might be true but until you try you just won't know.

Personally I prefer reading with my eyes but I've listened to a LOT of audiobooks during the several years when my cataracts were thought inoperable and I found that even though it's true that it's different than visual reading, it's neither better nor worse.  Just different.

I'm currently listening to a book of short stories at night after I turn out the lights.  The Audible player can be set to stop at the end of the chapter, which in this case is the end of the story, and I let the story put me to sleep.  It generally takes 2 or 3 or more nights to get through a whole 30 minute story but that's okay.  The purpose is to put me to sleep and it does and I enjoy the stories too.

This is a book of short stories I read on my Kindle a couple of years ago, a story now and then between books so I read it over about a year's time.  I'm finding that so far I don't remember most of the stories and the few I do I don't remember the endings so they're fresh and new to me.  I picked this book to do this with because they gave a big discount since I own the Kindle book.

Barry

Offline D.P. Prior

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2017, 01:25:12 PM »
I listen to the audiobooks of my own books to review the material while I'm writing the next in the series. Helps keep my eyes away from the screen so I can save them for writing rather than reviewing the earlier books in the series.
D.P. Prior was born in Eastbourne in the south of England, spent a few years in Australia, and now lives in Florida, USA. A former actor, musician, psychiatric nurse, personal trainer, and fiction editor, he now writes full-time.
Represented by Laurie McLean (http://fuseliterary.com)
D.P. Prior | Blog | Website | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Instagram | Mailing List

Offline KateDanley

• View Profile
    • KateDanley.com
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2017, 02:55:08 PM »
So THIS is kind of a nifty new development.  The X-Files is getting a brand new season... on audiobooks.  I KNOW!  It comes out next week and features the original cast.  I LOVE that we can get more stories from series long past (and actors who perhaps are not immortal).  I hope this is a trend!

https://www.amazon.com/The-X-Files-Cold-Cases/dp/B06Y4BYM61

Kate Danley | Website | Facebook | Blog | Newsletter | Instagram

Offline TWErvin2

• Ohio, USA
    • View Profile
    • ervin-author.com
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2017, 04:14:59 PM »
So THIS is kind of a nifty new development.  The X-Files is getting a brand new season... on audiobooks.  I KNOW!  It comes out next week and features the original cast.  I LOVE that we can get more stories from series long past (and actors who perhaps are not immortal).  I hope this is a trend!

https://www.amazon.com/The-X-Files-Cold-Cases/dp/B06Y4BYM61

My wife is a big fan of the series, so I pre-ordered it a while back. I think having the actors narrate will prove to be a major plus.

Offline CrissyM

• Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • Fangs and Lasers
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2017, 01:16:20 AM »
I have discovered that I love whispersync very much. It makes it so easy to flip from listening while driving, or on my morning walk, to reading in bed. I have a love affair with my kindles, and phone apps.

Speculative fiction with heart.
Crissy Moss | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter