Author Topic: Accepting Submissions for a Donald Trump Flash Fiction Anthology, publish 1/20  (Read 14088 times)  

Offline MarilynVix

• Northern California
    • View Profile
    • Marilyn Vix Official Website
I'll have more information soon. Currently waiting on the cover.
This is the only thing making my day today. Awaiting on link to get out the word. Can't wait to tell some of my friends about this.

Online GeorgeDonnelly

• The Andes
  • "Everything you can imagine is real." - Picasso
    • View Profile
    • Author George Donnelly
I'm still waiting on the cover artist unfortunately. Today is looking unlikely.

often dystopian, frequently heroic and always engrossing: George Donnelly | GeorgeDonnelly.com | Twitter | Facebook | Amazon | Goodreads
Professional editing more reliable than Bukowski's liquor bill: Your words, better. Get a free 10,000 word trial edit now. - George Donnelly, your punctilious editor (secret babies optional)

Offline MarilynVix

• Northern California
    • View Profile
Sad. ;-( It's not coming out today then. Well, as long as it does come out soon.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
I didn't submit this time, but I'm still eagerly waiting to pick up my copy. Any idea what the ETA might be?

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline amiblackwelder

• Florida
  • AngelFire Chronicles
    • View Profile
    • Ami Blackwelder's Novels

Let me know when it's out

Online GeorgeDonnelly

• The Andes
    • View Profile
    • Author George Donnelly
The cover artist failed me. I am exploring alternatives.

often dystopian, frequently heroic and always engrossing: George Donnelly | GeorgeDonnelly.com | Twitter | Facebook | Amazon | Goodreads
Professional editing more reliable than Bukowski's liquor bill: Your words, better. Get a free 10,000 word trial edit now. - George Donnelly, your punctilious editor (secret babies optional)

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
The cover artist failed me. I am exploring alternatives.
I'm sorry to hear that.

I'll repeat my earlier recommendation of Julie Nicholls. She has a fast turnaround and does good work. If she's free, you'll have a cover in a day or two at most.

Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline MarilynVix

• Northern California
    • View Profile
I got two fiverr cover designers, and one of the regular cover designers on this board.
If you need names, PM me. Pre-made covers available and the fiverr designers can do something within a few days.
-Marilyn

Online GeorgeDonnelly

• The Andes
    • View Profile
    • Author George Donnelly
Trump pre-mades available? That would surprise me. It was actually a fiverr designer recommended by someone else who failed me. I'm currently debating what to do now.

Offline Spinneyhead

• Salford, England
    • View Profile
    • Spinneyhead
Trump pre-mades available? That would surprise me. It was actually a fiverr designer recommended by someone else who failed me. I'm currently debating what to do now.
Is there a consistent font across all the Trump branding? I'd do the title in lareg gold letters over a faded or blurred Stars & Stripes.

I should have a couple of hours this evening to do a rough up, if you're interested.

What title were you going to use? (May I suggest "Alternative Facts: Absolutely true tales of President Donald Trump" if you still haven't decided.)

Offline MarilynVix

• Northern California
    • View Profile
Is there a consistent font across all the Trump branding? I'd do the title in lareg gold letters over a faded or blurred Stars & Stripes.

I should have a couple of hours this evening to do a rough up, if you're interested.

What title were you going to use? (May I suggest "Alternative Facts: Absolutely true tales of President Donald Trump" if you still haven't decided.)

Or we could just call it, "Alternative Facts: Alternate Tales of President Donald Trump" since it's almost like they occur in alternative worlds. ;-) But yes, something like that would be cool.

I have fiverr cover designers that haven't failed me. WOW. I'm kind of surprised. THe two I use would get it done in 3-4 days easy.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
At this point the specifics of the cover are not as important as getting the book out there. I'm suspecting that, as time goes on, the number of Trump books, including satires, will increase. There's a much better chance of making a splash if this one is one of the first, rather than getting stuck somewhere in the middle.

Offline alawston

• London
  • London-based writer and actor
    • View Profile
    • Andrew K Lawston's intermittent blogular adventures
At this point the specifics of the cover are not as important as getting the book out there. I'm suspecting that, as time goes on, the number of Trump books, including satires, will increase. There's a much better chance of making a splash if this one is one of the first, rather than getting stuck somewhere in the middle.

The other Trump satire I know of is also having a few teething problems - including the summary deletion of the pen name's Facebook author page.

I decided after a lot of thought to pass on submitting to this book, so I don't have a horse in the race, and I'm utterly sure from what I know of George that he'll be doing his darnedest to get it out as soon as he can. I do sort of agree with the urgency, though. I've sort of been in your situation with my Farage book. While I get a pleasant enough sales spike every time that turd gets himself in the news (most recently gurning next to Donald in a golden lift), I'll always regret missing my target publication date of the May 2015 UK General Election.

Broadly comic writer working across as many genres as he can. Acting done.
Andrew Lawston | Facebook | Twitter

Online GeorgeDonnelly

• The Andes
    • View Profile
    • Author George Donnelly
I've hired another designer. Fingers crossed.

I've got some stuff going on in my own life and beg your pardon for that.

I'm going to have to stop doing these anthologies because there is nothing more upsetting to me than publishing late.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile

I'm going to have to stop doing these anthologies because there is nothing more upsetting to me than publishing late.
I'm sure we've all been in situations in which we can't get what we wanted done, because or circumstances beyond our control. No one here is being critical of you.

Maybe the problem is not so much anthologies as seasonal anthologies. If you still have the desire to do them, it sounds as if thematic anthologies not tied to a particular season might be the way to go. That way you could still do them from time to time, but they wouldn't be tied to a particular release date. Consequently, if they took longer than expected to be released, it wouldn't really matter.

Offline vltreude

• View Profile
Hi George, like the other contributors I've been anxiously following this thread.
Sorry to hear about all the trouble you've been having. Can't say I blame you for being fed up with the anthology business, though I do greatly appreciate having been in 2 of yours.

Offline ThomasDiehl

• MGladbach, Germany
    • View Profile
I'm sure we've all been in situations in which we can't get what we wanted done, because or circumstances beyond our control. No one here is being critical of you.

Maybe the problem is not so much anthologies as seasonal anthologies. If you still have the desire to do them, it sounds as if thematic anthologies not tied to a particular season might be the way to go. That way you could still do them from time to time, but they wouldn't be tied to a particular release date. Consequently, if they took longer than expected to be released, it wouldn't really matter.
I somewhat agree.
George, you committed yourself to some very tight schedules, especially with the Trump one. It was an awesome idea to have this out on inauguration day, but it was also a tough goal. Stuff can go wrong by no fault of yours (or sometimes of anybody). I think seasonal anthologies are fine, but from my experience in writing sales copy I can tell you most companies have their Christmas copy done by August or September so they know everything is ready come November's shelf invasion no matter what happens. Indie publishing does not have to go that far, but a buffer of a month or so goes a long way.
I do remember how long it takes Indies Unlimited to get its annual flash fiction collections out even though that process should be streamlined by now (and their covers don't even look very professional imho), so this seems to be normal.
All Hail the King series: 4%

How the Rain Gets In: 21%
English Blog | German Blog

Offline alawston

• London
  • London-based writer and actor
    • View Profile
    • Andrew K Lawston's intermittent blogular adventures

Honestly George, I've been in a lot of anthologies for a lot of people over the years, and with the single exception of Bite-Sized Stories none of them published on schedule. Sometimes it's a few weeks late, one time it was three years. It's a reality of publishing at this scale and of relying on other people to do things when they say they're going to do them. You do set yourself tight deadlines, and I'd suggest all you really need to do is give yourself a bit more time to turn things around on a production level.

Still, you've done several of these collections now, and with a pure pro bono spirit. If it's time to move on, you can do so knowing you've put out some seriously decent products, and arranged a lot of exposure for a lot of authors!

Broadly comic writer working across as many genres as he can. Acting done.
Andrew Lawston | Facebook | Twitter

Online GeorgeDonnelly

• The Andes
    • View Profile
    • Author George Donnelly
You guys are very kind, thanks! I do appreciate it.

Offline MarilynVix

• Northern California
    • View Profile

I totally understand that "LIFE HAPPENS". So, this anthology being late is ok. I mean, overall, you've got it pretty much under control, and I think it will be still pretty awesome once released. Taking a break is understandable too. Sometimes breaks help rejuvenate. I think everyone in the anthology understands. You got Bit-Sized Stories under control and finally out, which was cool to see. That had been hanging for a year. So, the fact you get the job done is outstanding. A little bump along the road can be understandable from time to time, as long as you get where you're going.

Thank you for all of your effort. It is so appreciated! I think people are really going to like this anthology. If anything, it will make them laugh for a bit.
-Marilyn

Offline Becca Mills

• California
  • Beware the yellow snowball.
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
<sticks a moderator-hatted head in and looks around>

Folks, while organizing covers and such is fine, Kboards is not the place for qualitative comments about Farage, Trump, or other political figures. Just a reminder. :)

Offline Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
It may be a blessing in disguise that the cover is not ready - you now have a lot more to write about  ;)

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline ThomasDiehl

• MGladbach, Germany
    • View Profile
It may be a blessing in disguise that the cover is not ready - you now have a lot more to write about  ;)
Funny you should mention that. My story makes a point of there being no butterflies that sport the Don's hair. Guess what newly discovered species scientists announced the very next day after I sent the story in.

Offline Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
Funny you should mention that. My story makes a point of there being no butterflies that sport the Don's hair. Guess what newly discovered species scientists announced the very next day after I sent the story in.

Is that good or bad? Do you need to update the story?  ::)

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline ThomasDiehl

• MGladbach, Germany
    • View Profile
Is that good or bad? Do you need to update the story?  ::)
Just a funny coincidence. I don't really think anybody will hold a detail like that against it.