Author Topic: What has happened to Apple?  (Read 3438 times)  

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
Re: What has happened to Apple?
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2016, 10:39:45 AM »
iPhones aren't significantly more expensive than Samsung, Pixel/Google or other top-line phones. So we need to include Samsung fanboys and Google fanboys, also.  ;D ;D

My practice is to by the most recent top of the line when the newest top of the line comes out. I get almost as good a phone for significantly less money. And I keep it 3 or 4 years until upgrading is a significant improvement in performance.

Most recently I got the Samsung S7 Edge . . . just as the Note 7 was released as the new best-thing-since-Graham-Bell . . . . . Turns out, I have the TRUE top of the line since the Note 7 had a sort of major flaw. ::) O'course, they're still discounting the S7 and S7 Edge because they're trying to lure back the frightened people.

Google timed it exactly right with the Pixel! :o

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Central Texas
  • Reading ebooks since 1994!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2016, 02:41:23 PM »
My practice is to by the most recent top of the line when the newest top of the line comes out. I get almost as good a phone for significantly less money. And I keep it 3 or 4 years until upgrading is a significant improvement in performance.

Most recently I got the Samsung S7 Edge . . . just as the Note 7 was released as the new best-thing-since-Graham-Bell . . . . . Turns out, I have the TRUE top of the line since the Note 7 had a sort of major flaw. ::) O'course, they're still discounting the S7 and S7 Edge because they're trying to lure back the frightened people.

Google timed it exactly right with the Pixel! :o

An excellent practice.  I follow it myself on many things. If I had to buy a phone right now, I'd likely opt for a S6 Edge.

Mike
What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.

Offline luvmykindle3

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2017, 08:10:48 PM »
I'm getting frustrated with Apple too. I have the iPhone 7+, I am on the annual upgrade plan so I basically upgrade every year. I did not realize how much I would miss the headphone jack. I can't charge my phone and use the headphones they give you with the phone. You would think that they would have included the new headphones/airpods with the New Phone!! Nope, cause they want us to pay $159 for them. I had the Note7 (my 2nd line) and loved it. It was a nice phone, aside from the explosion issues. Mine never got hot, even when charging. I hated to turn it in, but didn't want to take the risk as some others still are. It was a really nice phone.

I dislike the new MacBooks and macbook pros. I have a late 2013 macbook pro, love it. No plans to upgrade till it stops working. I also have the 11 macbook air, which is great, perfect for travel. I don't like the keyboards on the new MacBooks, or the lack of ports. I also like the magsafe connection. It has saved my laptops so many times. Hopefully they will go back to a better keyboard. Am i the only one who likes the glowing apple on the laptops??? :)

I think its crazy the way they do the launch of new products, they are rarely available. For the iPhones, the plus sizes are always on back order. The stores here never have any, same with this latest macbook with touch bar. We have no Apple store, only best buy, and they did not have any, not even a display model until later.

Apple has always had the reputation of great products that last. That seems to be changing. I have a friend who still has the old MacBooks (white one), she still uses it and says it works for whatever she needs. She also has older iMacs that are still going strong.

I definitely don't want to go back to a PC, use that at work and hate it. I just want Apple to stop with the thinner is better, and short supply of products.

Offline William G. Jones

• View Profile
    • Random Thoughts from the Passenger Seat
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2017, 07:43:53 AM »
From reading this, sounds like my next laptop will be a 13" 2015 MacBook Pro. :)

Personally, I've felt Apple's hardware (on the laptop end) was slipping in 2008 when they introduced the unibody. My 2006 MacBook Pro was my favorite laptop. The keyboard was nice, the matte screen was awesome. I hate the keyboard on the unibody and the glass-covered screen, but I bought a 2008 because I needed the upgradability and extra speed. Then they removed the PC card slot in the next revision (which, believe it or not, I used at the time). They didn't get pro status back with me until the 2012 unibody that shipped with USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt. I haven't owned a retina Mac yet, but these new keyboards scare me. Then again, I have a pinched nerve in my neck and I can't really type much without a mechanical keyboard, so it's probably a moot point.

Now that I'm not doing video production, I just want a nice small laptop to do basic computing on, and it's hard to justify Apple prices. Honestly, though, my iPad Air and a keyboard case does about 90% of what I need and the battery lasts all day, it's just that I'd like to be able to do that other 10% when I want without needing a separate device.
VISIT ME ONLINE | http://www.williamgjones.com
DRIVING TO BELAIR: A NOVELLA
Available for Kindle | Preview on Kindleboards

"I laughed and cried, became frustrated, annoyed and completely and wonderfully engaged... if you don't read Driving to BelAir you are missing one really great road trip." - Pam Bainbridge-Cowan

• Central Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2017, 07:10:05 PM »
I'm still pretty happy with my 2008 "Blackbook". It does have some issues due to being stuck at OS 7.5, such as not able to run Postbox (my choice of email programs), Apple Notes, or get any updates of a number of programs (which still work just fine, just no updates). I'll stick with it until it dies. Then I may pick up a used iPad Pro and add a keyboard, such as the Brydge:

https://www.amazon.com/Brydge-Aluminium-Bluetooth-Keyboard-9-7-inch/dp/B01N1UGLN9/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1485917664&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=brydge+ipad+keyboard&psc=1

I even have a 1999 G4 Power Mac desktop which still runs fine, and it runs OS9. Most things it runs almost as fast as the current machines (OS9 wasn't bloated with features), but doesn't do multitasking.

Offline jkingrph

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2017, 01:30:41 PM »
I like the MacBook pro, but, nearest  Apple store is over highway miles, plus probably another 20-30  city driving in Dallas, so I think I will stay with my pc, since I have a local guy, who actually built my last desktop, and got me  my laptop, so service is only about 5 miles, and if desktop problem he makes house calls.

Offline William G. Jones

• View Profile
    • Random Thoughts from the Passenger Seat
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2017, 07:55:28 AM »
Then I may pick up a used iPad Pro and add a keyboard, such as the Brydge:

Aside from the occasional graphic design project and even more occasional video editing project, I use my 1st gen iPad Air for everything. Now that Scrivener is available for iPad, I barely open either of my laptops.

Somebody makes a mechanical keyboard case for the Pro that I've been interested in for a while. I have a herniated disc in my neck typing aggravates it. I use a big, bulky Unicomp keyboard at my desk becauase the "bounce" doesn't hurt me so much, but my current iPad case has a pretty decent keyboard that's fairly comparable to a mechanical.

I recently ordered the Lofree Dot tenkey-less mechanical bluetooth keyboard, and I prefer to write with the screen in portrait mode, so separating the keyboard from the device may be the answer I've been looking for.
VISIT ME ONLINE | http://www.williamgjones.com
DRIVING TO BELAIR: A NOVELLA
Available for Kindle | Preview on Kindleboards

"I laughed and cried, became frustrated, annoyed and completely and wonderfully engaged... if you don't read Driving to BelAir you are missing one really great road trip." - Pam Bainbridge-Cowan

Offline etexlady

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2017, 10:43:26 AM »
I was really disappointed with the most recent Apple "event".  A red iPhone, really?  A bit of an upgrade for iPad.  I'm waiting for a new iMac desktop.  Mine's a 2009 model and beginning to show its age.  I'm tempted by the new 2-in-1's but, of course, they are all windows based and I'm in so deep with Apple that making a change would be fairly drastic.  Come on, Apple, innovate already.

• Central Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2017, 07:33:59 PM »
I got a good deal on a Samsung Galaxy S7 today and ordered one. It's yet to be shown that I will like it better then the iPhone 6, but I have a 30-day return window. And I had three Android phones before I had the iPhone, so the culture shock will be minimal.

Mike

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
  • Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2017, 08:37:35 PM »
I got a good deal on a Samsung Galaxy S7 today and ordered one. It's yet to be shown that I will like it better then the iPhone 6, but I have a 30-day return window. And I had three Android phones before I had the iPhone, so the culture shock will be minimal.

Mike

Congrats! I take it you didn't want to wait for/pay for the S8 that everyone is swooning over?

(Make your own reading bar)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

• Central Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2017, 10:45:01 PM »
Congrats! I take it you didn't want to wait for/pay for the S8 that everyone is swooning over?

Correct. I just don't see paying a premium to get an S8. It's not that much better. Plus, the S8 is a 5.8" screen (S7 is 5.1") , and that's a bit too large for convenience. Besides, I can pick one up cheap(er) in two years. Or an iPhone 7/8, should I decide to go that route. I have all my necessary apps already purchased for both platforms, so switching back and forth is pretty trivial.

This switch is not necessarily a rejection of Apple/iPhone, it can somewhat be put down to just wanting a change.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 04:21:50 PM by Mike D. aka jmiked »

• Central Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2017, 09:37:24 PM »
I'm boxing up the Galaxy S7 for return tomorrow. I didn't realize how fond I had become of things that just work so I don't have to take days of fiddling around with obscure settings to get things close to the way I like them.

Say what you will about Apple's control, sand-boxing, and limited customization, but it just works with a minimum of fuss.

I liked the S7 screen, though. That hi-res OLED display is gorgeous.

I'm thinking I'll wait until the new iPhones are out and then get an iPhone 6S (maybe plus) and sell the 6.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 09:51:19 PM by Mike D. aka jmiked »

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
  • Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2017, 12:51:23 PM »
I don't know if congratulations are in order or not, but welcome back to the contented herd.....*Baaah*
:)

(Make your own reading bar)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

• Central Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2017, 12:56:40 PM »
Since I'd already bought a wireless charging pad to use with the S7, I bought a new case for the iPhone that allows me to wirelessly recharge the battery with the money I'm not spending on the new phone.  :)