KB Featured
Grey Daze: A Lance Underphal Mystery
by Michael Allan Scott

Kindle Edition published 2015-03-29
Bestseller ranking: 167157

Product Description
An IAN Book of the Year Finalist and featured on NBC's Daytime Show, the third book in the Lance Underphal Mystery series is part of a new breed of supernatural thrillers which can be read and enjoyed in any order. Based on real events, this is one of those dark, disturbing novels that keeps you turning pages.

Download the sample or use the "Look inside" feature for a FREE E-book offer.

It's a mystery- Something is wrong. As Lance Underphal pads softly across the cold flagstone, he hears her weeping. She is on her knees, hunched over in the middle of the room, her back to him, facing the dark fireplace. Something is very wrong. Lance wants to rush to her, but can't. In a hoarse whisper, he says, "Callie?" She lets out a mournful wail from deep within as she turns, their infant son in her arms, blue and still. He reels from the blow. How can this be? They don't have a son.

Author Topic: Relocating from Pronoun and going wider with StreetLib  (Read 6937 times)  

Offline Giac

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • StreetLib
Relocating from Pronoun and going wider with StreetLib
« on: November 25, 2016, 01:23:19 PM »
Hello,
I'm Giacomo, CEO of StreetLib USA.

We offer an open and global publishing platform and I've recently moved to NYC to better help our American authors and publishers. We are a customers-oriented company and I'm here to help and evaluate any feedback from all of you.

PS: If you like you can read more here: http://bit.ly/WiderIsWiser

Thank you,
Giac
CEO at StreetLib USA

Offline J.B.

• Califrickenfornia
    • View Profile
Re: StreetLib here - Publishing wider is wiser
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 01:29:08 PM »
Got a link that isn't bit.ly? I don't do bit.ly links.... Thanks!

Offline Giac

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • StreetLib
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 02:26:27 PM »
Got a link that isn't bit.ly? I don't do bit.ly links.... Thanks!

J.B. here's the original link:
https://medium.com/streetlib/wider-is-wiser-c59b27a674a0#.jv2lc1r2q
CEO at StreetLib USA

Offline J.B.

• Califrickenfornia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 02:58:13 PM »

Offline MichaelRyan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 08:49:13 PM »
We offer an open and global publishing platform and I've recently moved to NYC to better help our American authors and publishers. We are a customers-oriented company and I'm here to help and evaluate any feedback from all of you.

So I read the description twice and I still can't quite figure out what it is you're offering.
It sounds a bit like D2D or Smashwords, but it's not a good sign that I can't understand what your offer really is, because, well I think I'm pretty intelligent.  Grant, I might be a fool, but that's most of the world...

Your commission is 10%, that seems pretty high.  I have long objected to the idea of both Smashwords and D2D because the percentages only make sense if you're planning on having dismal results.

In other words:  If a book takes off and generates $50,000 your company would take $5,000 for basically having it run through an automated system that does formatting and such, and that sounds expensive to me.

I think it would help if your sales pitch and explanation were simpler.

Like this:

Features, functions, benefits.

Cheese burger:

Features:  Three varieties: Blue, American, Swiss.
Function:  Cheesy goodness applied to hot beef patty.
Benefit:    You'll receive a plethora of oral satisfaction.

So, using very simple language:

What are the features of your thing?  I'm not even sure what it does.
What are the functions?  You format for every platform on the world and on Mars too, or what?
What are the benefits?  Why the heck am I giving you 10% again?

Then, if you can elicit a favorable reaction from those short answers, it's possible to go forward.

I once asked in a Smashwords executive on some platform, I can't recall, if he could succinctly explain to why he felt his service was worth the percentage they were asking.

I was ignored, of course, but that's really the bottom line:  Am I going to make more money or less money.
Why?
And can you prove it?

All that exciting stuff about saving the world, well, I'm not heartless but I've got kids to feed, I don't care about publishing so much as I care about eating. 

Never say never, except on Tuesdays.
Michael Ryan | Facebook

Offline katrina46

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 09:00:08 PM »
I use these guys all the time. They're exactly like D2D except they have more smaller sites to publish to and can get you onto Google Play if you don't have an account. The customer service is awesome. The interface is a bit confusing at first, but once you get the hang of it it's actually pretty easy. I use them for Google Play mainly, so they always have my vote since they've opened up a whole new avenue of income I wouldn't  have otherwise and they let you do permafree on GP.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 09:42:06 PM by katrina46 »

Online KelliWolfe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 09:24:53 PM »
I've been using Streetlib since they were Narcissus.me. If you want to get your books into Google Play, these are the people to go with. Their support team is excellent, and Giacomo spent I don't know how many hours reading my emails a couple of weeks ago talking about where all of this is going and what we indies really *need* to support our efforts to be more successful, like translation services and the ability to get paperbacks into brick and mortar stores.

I won't say he *agreed* with everything I said, but he did a great job of listening.  :)

IMHO, these guys are going to be *THE* aggregator in the next year or two. They are playing this game to win. They're adding new services and expanding their reach very, very quickly. Smashwords is quickly becoming irrelevant because they're stuck in 2012, and D2D (who I dearly love for their support) just isn't moving fast enough to keep up.

Olivia Blake | Lessons in Love

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 12:40:00 AM »
Hello,
I'm Giacomo, CEO of StreetLib USA.

PS: If you like you can read more here: http://bit.ly/WiderIsWiser

Thank you,
Giac

Thanks for posting. We're just about to start using you to get access to Google, so it's nice to know there's a person behind the website.

Offline Gentleman Zombie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 01:02:47 AM »
They've been around for some time, and have an excellent rep.

I'm also pretty sure Streetlib is the only distributor that can list a series starter as PERMAFREE on Amazon. (I hope that's still true) 

I signed up with Streetlib ages ago, but never did anything with it.  Maybe I'll stick this series I'm working on now with them. Can't hurt.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 01:06:39 AM by Gentleman Zombie »

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 01:06:16 AM »

I'm also pretty sure Streetlib is the only distributor that can list a series starter as FREE on Amazon. 

I signed up with Streetlib ages ago, but never did anything with it.  Maybe I'll stick this series I'm working on now with them. Can't hurt.

I picked up their name through kboards when I was trying to work out how to get into Google. Thanks to their rep we'll give them a go. I've never tried giving books away for free, but that's useful to know just in case we ever want to try it. Thanks.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 02:27:58 AM »
Welcome to the KB Writers Cafe!

You're welcome to promote your business and website here in the Writers' Cafe!

Now that you have an official thread, you'll want to add your listing to our Yellow Pages Listing, found here:
http://www.kboards.com/yp/

The listing is free to KB members and is completely self-service; you can add and edit your listing from the page. More information on our Yellow Pages listing can be found here.

In your thread here, we ask that the same basic rules be followed as we have for authors in the Book Bazaar: you may have this one thread about your service and must post to it rather than start a new thread each time. New threads about the service wil be removed. Please bookmark this thread so that you can find it again to post to. And, you may not make back-to-back posts to the thread within seven days. If someone responds (such as this post), you may reply but otherwise must wait seven days, thanks!

Note that members may provide civil and honest feedback about your service to this thread, and you may respond in a civil manner. Disputes between you and clients should be handled off site.

Betsy
KBoards Moderator

Note that this welcome does not constitute an endorsement or vetting of a service by KBoards. Members should do due diligence when considering using a service, for example, by asking KB members for feedback and doing an Internet search such as "service provider name" complaints.
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Online Chrissy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 03:08:36 AM »
Hi and welcome Giac,

Glad to see you on kboards. I'm considering using your service to get into Google Play and I have a few questions.

1) Can I list via Streetlib a book on Google Play at $5.99 and then list the same Book on Kobo at $4.99?

2)  Most of your partner book stores are in countries where English is NOT the first/native language.  Do English books sell? Or are translations the best way to go?

3) What's "Streetlib Stores"?

4) Is there a dollar amount I must reach before getting paid by Streetlib via direct deposit? If yes, what?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 08:25:21 AM by Chrissy »

Offline Committed Scribe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 07:06:20 AM »
Hello Giac,

Am new here. I read in Google that StreetLib only updates GPlay sales once a month. On which day is it updated? Are we paid directly by StreetLib (like D2D or Smash) or will Google directly pay us (after deducting your 10% cut)? Thanks

Offline Giac

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • StreetLib
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2016, 11:04:48 AM »
So I read the description twice and I still can't quite figure out what it is you're offering.
It sounds a bit like D2D or Smashwords, but it's not a good sign that I can't understand what your offer really is, because, well I think I'm pretty intelligent.  Grant, I might be a fool, but that's most of the world...

Your commission is 10%, that seems pretty high.  I have long objected to the idea of both Smashwords and D2D because the percentages only make sense if you're planning on having dismal results.

In other words:  If a book takes off and generates $50,000 your company would take $5,000 for basically having it run through an automated system that does formatting and such, and that sounds expensive to me.

I think it would help if your sales pitch and explanation were simpler.

Like this:

Features, functions, benefits.

Cheese burger:

Features:  Three varieties: Blue, American, Swiss.
Function:  Cheesy goodness applied to hot beef patty.
Benefit:    You'll receive a plethora of oral satisfaction.

So, using very simple language:

What are the features of your thing?  I'm not even sure what it does.
What are the functions?  You format for every platform on the world and on Mars too, or what?
What are the benefits?  Why the heck am I giving you 10% again?

Then, if you can elicit a favorable reaction from those short answers, it's possible to go forward.

I once asked in a Smashwords executive on some platform, I can't recall, if he could succinctly explain to why he felt his service was worth the percentage they were asking.

I was ignored, of course, but that's really the bottom line:  Am I going to make more money or less money.
Why?
And can you prove it?

All that exciting stuff about saving the world, well, I'm not heartless but I've got kids to feed, I don't care about publishing so much as I care about eating.

Hello JaydenHunter, many thanks for your feedback!

I completely agree with you on the first point: we're 100% committed to building the best possible publishing platform and enjoying our time with our authors and publishers, and sometimes we forget to communicate all the things we're doing properly. But let me say that we're working on that and I'm confident we'll improve soon.

About your second point, the 10% commission: I think that the work we're doing is much more than doing automated formatting and such, and I'm happy to have many authors and publishers proving this for us.

We have a long-term vision in wich we genuinely believe, and we have built a system to pursue it in a sustainable way. Sustainability means that both our customers and we can feed our kids thanks to what we are doing.

We are developing the best technology to manage the entire books lifecycle, from creation to distribution, from retail and read and share them, and we do offer everything for free, to everybody. From the smallest author to the greatest publisher and vice-versa, everybody can use all the StreetLib technology for free.

We only earn money if our customers make money, by getting a 10% slice of their sales. I'm confident to say that the outcome of the clients who embrace our long-term strategy is far higher than the commission they "have to pay" to us.

Let me also try my best to answer your other questions:

What are the features of your thing?
StreetLib provides an open platform where you can:
1) import your manuscript and get a beautiful book that you can edit online and download at any time
2) use the graphic book templates built by our designers and even customize them and make the book looks like you want
2) sell your book on your website directly to your readers
3) distribute your books to all the main online retailers to reach a global audience
PS: For book, I mean both digital and paper books

What are the functions?
StreetLib does the hard work and lets you manage only the important aspects of the publishing business:
1) We format and validate your content so you don't have to deal with any technicalities
2) We let you edit the content, metadata, and price of your book at any time, and get them automatically updated across all the retailers (quickly and seamlessly)
3) We automatically collect all the book sales across the retailers and provide them to you in a comprehensive and integrated dashboard showing real-time sales data
4) We enable you to directly sell to your readers through your website, by providing an e-commerce platform where you can build a bookstore in a couple of clicks. We manage all the technical infrastructure and the customer service. You sell. For each sale, we share 50/50 with you the usual 30% sale commission of the traditional retailers (like Amazon), so 15% is for us and 15% for you. That means that if you publish your books with StreetLib and you sell them through your website, you'll end up getting a royalty of 75% of the book price for each sale. 
5) We automatically pay your royalties each month, sending the money to your bank account and providing detailed online reportings

Hope it helps. Please let me know for any additional questions, thank you!
CEO at StreetLib USA

Offline Giac

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • StreetLib
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 11:12:36 AM »
@

I'm also pretty sure Streetlib is the only distributor that can list a series starter as PERMAFREE on Amazon. (I hope that's still true) 

Gentleman Zombie thank you! Please feel free to get in touch directly to support AT streetlib DOT com for any questions or doubts. I and my team will be more than happy to support you on any specific needs.

Many thanks also to Twisted Tales, KelliWolfe, Katrina46 for your feedback, I'm happy to help you out.

CEO at StreetLib USA

Offline Mark F

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2016, 11:25:24 AM »
I'm going to be lazy and ask this here instead of trying to figure it out on the website: can I distribute my books to everyone but Amazon through StreetLib?

Offline Giac

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • StreetLib
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2016, 11:35:45 AM »
Hi and welcome Giac,

Glad to see you on kboards. I'm considering using your service to get into Google Play and I have a few questions.

1) Can I list via Streetlib a book on Google Play at $5.99 and then list the same Book on Kobo at $4.99?

2)  Most of your partner book stores are in countries where English is NOT the first/native language.  Do English books sell? Or are translations the best way to go?

3) What's "Streetlib Stores"?

4) Is there a dollar amount I must reach before getting paid by Streetlib via direct deposit? If yes, what?

Thanks!

Hello, Chrissy!

My answers:

1) Yes, you can set a different price for different retailers. BTW at the moment this is not possible if you register on StreetLib as an author, but we can do that via backend for you if you ask. We're already working to fix this limitation.

2) Yes, they also sell English contents. Anyway, we do partner with Babelcube which is a marketplace that let you hire a translator in revenue share. They're great, I suggest to give a look: http://www.babelcube.com/streetlib

3) StreetLib Stores is the latest tool we developed, it's a powerful e-commerce platform that enables any author to create an online bookstore to sell digital and paper book directly to his readers on his website. Let me suggest to give a look at our press release here http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=f735ad980e229186fee196bd8&id=03ecd0761c.

4) Yes, at the moment we pay on a monthly basis, via bank transfer, only if the royalties are above the $60 threshold. In any case, we pay all the royalties at the end of the year. Let me add that we're exploring others American payment gateways (like Payoneer or Paypal) because we would like to find a way to lower the transaction fees, and this would make possible for us to lower the threshold. If you want to suggest me any of them, please do :)

Please let me know for additional questions, thank you!
CEO at StreetLib USA

Offline Giac

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • StreetLib
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2016, 11:38:07 AM »
I'm going to be lazy and ask this here instead of trying to figure it out on the website: can I distribute my books to everyone but Amazon through StreetLib?

MarkFeenstra yes! Let me suggest the following article about selling on Amazon: https://medium.com/streetlib/amazon-kindle-store-5f12a9e08160#.rn4w0m2p9 (disclaimer: we published it)
CEO at StreetLib USA

Offline Mark F

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2016, 12:11:40 PM »
MarkFeenstra yes! Let me suggest the following article about selling on Amazon: https://medium.com/streetlib/amazon-kindle-store-5f12a9e08160#.rn4w0m2p9 (disclaimer: we published it)

Thanks for your quick response, although I have to admit that after reading the link (and the link that link sent me to), I'm less convinced than ever that there'd be value in using StreetLib to distribute to Amazon. My book is currently listed at $4.99, and after a $0.07 delivery fee, I take home $3.44 in royalties from every sale. Ignoring any one time costs that no one in their right mind should give up a royalty percentage for (formatting, validation, etc). What long term value am I getting that's worth giving up 40% or more of my royalty dollars on every sale? (Based on the $2 return for a $4.99 book as listed on your Pricing page)

If this is an issue of gains from international sales evening out the lower .com royalties, then what percent of my sales would have to come from non-US Amazon domains in order to come out ahead of what I can make with what's quite possibly the easiest vendor setup in the existing retail landscape?

Offline Giac

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • StreetLib
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2016, 12:13:50 PM »
Hello Giac,

Am new here. I read in Google that StreetLib only updates GPlay sales once a month. On which day is it updated? Are we paid directly by StreetLib (like D2D or Smash) or will Google directly pay us (after deducting your 10% cut)? Thanks

Hello Committed Scribe, thank you for asking.

Are you an author or a publisher?

If you're an author:
- We update GPlay sales once a month, at the beginning of the month (approximately within the first 2-3 days)
- We get the royalties from GPlay and we pay you

If you're a publisher:
- We update GPlay sales approximately every day
- You get paid by Google, and we'll invoice you our revenue share (10% of the sales)

NB: Within a few weeks we'll release a new Analytics feature that'll provide an integrated and comprehensive dashboard with daily sales for both authors and publishers.
CEO at StreetLib USA

Offline Giac

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • StreetLib
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2016, 01:13:24 PM »
Thanks for your quick response, although I have to admit that after reading the link (and the link that link sent me to), I'm less convinced than ever that there'd be value in using StreetLib to distribute to Amazon. My book is currently listed at $4.99, and after a $0.07 delivery fee, I take home $3.44 in royalties from every sale. Ignoring any one time costs that no one in their right mind should give up a royalty percentage for (formatting, validation, etc). What long term value am I getting that's worth giving up 40% or more of my royalty dollars on every sale? (Based on the $2 return for a $4.99 book as listed on your Pricing page)

If this is an issue of gains from international sales evening out the lower .com royalties, then what percent of my sales would have to come from non-US Amazon domains in order to come out ahead of what I can make with what's quite possibly the easiest vendor setup in the existing retail landscape?

MarkFeenstra thanks for having pointed that out, it's a crucial point: if you think it's enough to publish on Amazon, stay on Amazon. I can understand. You are seeing us as a mere intermediary and so we cannot add any value to you.

But let me tell you my opinion: you're limiting yourself and the reach of your books, you're making your publishing world smaller, less diverse and less inclusive. Way more than 40%.

Amazon has built a system full of constraints: exclusivity, protections (DRM), proprietary technologies, price limitations, delivery costs, country limitations, proprietary ranking systems, proprietary reviews, etc...

We don't think this is the way the publishing world has to work and that's why we're building a better system.

Of course, *today* there are cases where the math works better on Amazon: e.g. your specific book with a specific size priced at a specific amount and delivered to some specific countries at a specific point in time will get higher royalties on Amazon through KDP than through StreetLib, that's absolutely possible.

You, as any other independent authors or publishers, are free to choose your publishing path but you should be aware of the details and make your choice based on the goals you want to aim.

Hope this helps, thank you!
CEO at StreetLib USA

Online evdarcy

• Cheshire, UK
    • View Profile
    • My Author Site
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2016, 01:22:10 PM »
I signed up to give the google play option a try.  I'll stick to direct publishing to Amazon, Kobo and B&N for now, and D2D seem to be working well for me with Apple, so I'll stay there too.  But if Google Play works well here, then perhaps I'll switch!

E. V. Darcy | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Blog

Offline katrina46

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2016, 06:41:55 PM »
When you publish they have a list of retailers checked. You just uncheck wherever you don't want your book to go. I go direct almost everywhere, but use them for Google Play. Hope that helps.

Offline John Ellsworth

• Southern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2016, 08:20:28 PM »
So I signed up to try google play through you and now all I see when I sign in are stories about this or that. Where do I upload my book? This is very frustrating.

Offline Melanie Tomlin

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2016, 09:22:16 PM »
Giacomo, I receive a lot of emails from StreetLib that in Italian, which unfortunately I can't read ...

Also, I cant find where to add my tax information. (Or don't you collect it?)