Author Topic: StreetLib here - Publishing wider is wiser  (Read 4432 times)  

Offline Committed Scribe

• View Profile
Re: StreetLib here - Publishing wider is wiser
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2016, 05:59:44 AM »
Giacomo, I live in India so I would like to sign up as a Publisher. Google Play Books is one of the best channel for selling indie English books in India. It's huge here.  I want a publisher account because otherwise I will have to wait Quarter plus 60 Days to get paid by StreetLib. Also I will run in to problems with Italian Tax Withholding. (I read in your website that monthly payment is available only for American authors. It seems like getting paid in India by StreetLib will be a nightmare.). :(

However, I don't have a Publishing Company. I am an individual. I have a valid Tax ID, identity docs like Passport etc which I can submit to you for verification. Can you please help me setting up a Publisher account with StreetLib, so that I can get paid directly by Google? Google Play Books support direct monthly Wire payment by USD in India:
https://support.google.com/books/partner/table/6052428?visit_id=0-636158527150957255-1804216902&rd=1

I have read elsewhere that some individuals (Americans) managed to sign up and verify themselves as Publisher on StreetLib. Considering the difficulties I will face as an author on StreetLib Self-Publish, please kindly consider accepting my account as a Publisher.

I will await your reply.

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 06:37:43 AM by Committed Scribe »

Offline Giac

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • StreetLib
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2016, 06:40:19 AM »
So I signed up to try google play through you and now all I see when I sign in are stories about this or that. Where do I upload my book? This is very frustrating.

John Ellsworth thanks for your feedback but I didn't get the problem that you are facing. Please give me some more details so I can help. Or you can even write us to support AT streetlib DOT com to talk with our customer care.
CEO at StreetLib USA

Offline Giac

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • StreetLib
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2016, 06:44:03 AM »
Giacomo, I receive a lot of emails from StreetLib that in Italian, which unfortunately I can't read ...

Also, I cant find where to add my tax information. (Or don't you collect it?)

Melanie Tomlin I'm sorry for that, probably your account was set in Italian. You can change this from your profile. If you are an Australian citizen you should provide only your Certificate of Residence in order to avoid the Withholding Tax, please see here for more details: https://help.streetlib.com/hc/en-us/articles/202273062. Hope this helps, thank you!
CEO at StreetLib USA

Offline Giac

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • StreetLib
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2016, 06:59:52 AM »
The link is here: https://www.streetlib.com/int but when I uploaded my ePub, it shows there are errors that I can't figure out for the life of me. I e-mailed them for help, but I'm about to give up. I'd be using it for Google Play and Overdrive (for libraries).

Nancy G thanks for writing, please check your inbox :)

PS for anyone else who's reading, Nancy G has uploaded an EPUB that is not valid and we cannot distribute it (according to our TOS), so we usually propose 3 options in this case:

1- The author fixes the EPUB autonomously or through a 3rd party publishing professional.

2- The author can buy the conversion service on StreetLib: it'll cost $90 (Word to EPub2, waiting time: approx 2 weeks), more here: https://www.streetlib.com/edit/#conversion

3- The author can use StreetLib Write, where he can upload his manuscript and convert it into a valid EPUB file, more here: https://www.streetlib.com/write/

BTW I strongly suggest using SL Write, because it's free and easy to use, and after having learned to use it (approx. 30 mins) he will be able to manage autonomously any books!
CEO at StreetLib USA

Offline Giac

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • StreetLib
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2016, 03:48:14 PM »
Giacomo, I live in India so I would like to sign up as a Publisher. Google Play Books is one of the best channel for selling indie English books in India. It's huge here.  I want a publisher account because otherwise I will have to wait Quarter plus 60 Days to get paid by StreetLib. Also I will run in to problems with Italian Tax Withholding. (I read in your website that monthly payment is available only for American authors. It seems like getting paid in India by StreetLib will be a nightmare.). :(

However, I don't have a Publishing Company. I am an individual. I have a valid Tax ID, identity docs like Passport etc which I can submit to you for verification. Can you please help me setting up a Publisher account with StreetLib, so that I can get paid directly by Google? Google Play Books support direct monthly Wire payment by USD in India:
https://support.google.com/books/partner/table/6052428?visit_id=0-636158527150957255-1804216902&rd=1

I have read elsewhere that some individuals (Americans) managed to sign up and verify themselves as Publisher on StreetLib. Considering the difficulties I will face as an author on StreetLib Self-Publish, please kindly consider accepting my account as a Publisher.

I will await your reply.

Thanks

Hello, Committed Scribe, many thanks for the interesting question!

First of all: please don't infringe our TOS by acting as a publisher if you are not. You can't do that, anyone can't do that. If you're an author you should sign-up as a Self-Publisher.

Second: we are working on improving our global payment system and we'll do our best  to get your royalties as easy as we already did in the US. We are looking into Payoneer and it looks very promising. Then, we're also evaluating to move to monthly payments in other countries quite soon.

I cannot promise any specific release date on that yet, but I'll try do that quickly. In the meantime, please don't play with our TOS and trust me on what I've said.

Thank you!
CEO at StreetLib USA

Offline SA

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2016, 03:56:07 PM »
Hey there,

I signed up to use Streetlib this weekend and found the interface easy to use - I uploaded three books within 20 minutes! I'm gradually making my catalog wide, so this was a great option for Google Play. I was curious about the many smaller international sites and how many sales show up there for English only titles. I am direct with Amazon, Apple, Kobo and B&N, but would be curious about those other sites. I realize you can only generalize and that all titles are different, but is it worth it to check the boxes for the many smaller sites (if titles are English)? Thank you for your feedback! Great site and option for distribution by the way.

Offline jaglionpress

• View Profile
    • Jaglion Press
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2016, 07:34:05 PM »
if you're having trouble with your epub, make sure it doesn't include the cover art, and that you upload the cover separately with the Streetlib logo on it. I recall that giving me trouble when i published on Streetlib a couple of weeks back.
Rewriting Deathseer: 5%

Writing Scapegoat: 0%

Outlining Undersea: 5%
Mel Dunay | Jaglion Press

Offline EliseNoble

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2016, 08:58:03 PM »
I've got one book through Streetlib, but what's stopped me from adding the others is the need to put the Streetlib logo on the covers. I've worked with my cover artist to balance the look of them without adding somebody else's logo at the end. It's free advertising, and I'd already be paying 10% in royalties. How strict is this requirement?

Elise Noble | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Giac

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • StreetLib
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2016, 11:46:07 AM »
if you're having trouble with your epub, make sure it doesn't include the cover art, and that you upload the cover separately with the Streetlib logo on it. I recall that giving me trouble when i published on Streetlib a couple of weeks back.

Hello Jaglionpress and Nancy G,
the point is that at StreetLib we don't accept not-valid EPUB files, we think it's not a good idea to distribute them. Calibre is a great tool that you can use in many ways, but to be honest I can't suggest to use it to create EPUB files.

We built StreetLib Write because we didn't find a good tool to do that. So we built it ourselves after having created ebooks "by hand" for many years. StreetLib Write generates (only) valid EPUB files. Then, the EPUB coming out from Write are already ready to be distributed to all the online retailers, because it automatically implement all the retailers' guidelines in order to make improve all the book lifecycle. It's a super important topic and I talked about that in a Medium post some weeks ago: https://medium.com/streetlib/we-deserve-better-books-54b4a1756cca#.kjw6wwpli

Let me know for additional questions, I'd glad to answer and clarify everything possible about the books production process. Thank you!
CEO at StreetLib USA

Offline Giac

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • StreetLib
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2016, 11:53:00 AM »
I've got one book through Streetlib, but what's stopped me from adding the others is the need to put the Streetlib logo on the covers. I've worked with my cover artist to balance the look of them without adding somebody else's logo at the end. It's free advertising, and I'd already be paying 10% in royalties. How strict is this requirement?

EliseNoble
Hello, I can confirm that it's not mandatory. If you don't like adding the StreetLib logo please feel free to go ahead with your own cover design.

PS: We added that possibility because more and more authors liked the idea to put it. For them, it's a way to expose the quality of their publishing job (either in terms of production quality and distribution reach). But it's not a strict requirement.

CEO at StreetLib USA

Offline Melanie Tomlin

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2017, 02:13:32 PM »
Almost eight weeks later and my boxed set is still not showing on Google Play ... and now my emails are no longer being answered. I've jumped through hoops to get a 'restricted' partner account on Google Play so that StreetLib can distribute my books. My patience has just about run out. I might have to plead with Google Play to give me full access, though I doubt they will.

Offline Chrissy

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2017, 02:23:00 PM »
Almost eight weeks later and my boxed set is still not showing on Google Play ... and now my emails are no longer being answered. I've jumped through hoops to get a 'restricted' partner account on Google Play so that StreetLib can distribute my books. My patience has just about run out. I might have to plead with Google Play to give me full access, though I doubt they will.

What did Streetlib say when you told them about the delay/problem?

Offline M M

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2017, 02:25:40 PM »

Second: we are working on improving our global payment system and we'll do our best  to get your royalties as easy as we already did in the US. We are looking into Payoneer and it looks very promising. Then, we're also evaluating to move to monthly payments in other countries quite soon.

I cannot promise any specific release date on that yet, but I'll try do that quickly. In the meantime, please don't play with our TOS and trust me on what I've said.

Thank you!

Payoneer would be awesome, Giacomo.

I currently use Streetlib and am very happy with them.  They have great customer service and provide access to many stores I can't get into elsewhere. They are very responsive to questions and suggestions, at least that has been my experience. 

The website and interface can do with some improvements but they are currently working on that. The layout isn't intuitive and there is no ability to set prices by country, which is a big issue because prices can easily get out of sync with other sales platforms.

But...they are learning and growing, and I appreciate having one more avenue to sell my books. And I really want to see them succeed.

Offline Melanie Tomlin

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2017, 02:49:38 PM »
What did Streetlib say when you told them about the delay/problem?
The last email from them was on January 06:
I'm very sorry for this delay. We re-submitted both of your books to Google and I've just sent an email to my account also. I hope they'll be quick to reply. Usually everything runs smoothly, I hope we'll able to fix your situation as soon as possible.
I emailed them again on January 23 and January 31 ... no response.

I actually uploaded the boxed set to StreetLib on November 26 and waited until December 08 before contacting them to find out what the delay was. I thought 12 days would be plenty of time to distribute the book.

Offline Chrissy

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2017, 02:54:19 PM »
I'm sorry this has happened to you. You've been quite patient.

I hope someone from Streetlib sees your post and resolves your problem immediately.

Good Luck! 

Offline SC

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2017, 03:24:30 PM »
Thank you for catering to the paranoid!

Why don't you like those kind of links? (Am wondering if I should be paranoid about them as well.)

Offline Giac

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • StreetLib
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2017, 06:50:37 PM »
The last email from them was on January 06:I emailed them again on January 23 and January 31 ... no response.

I actually uploaded the boxed set to StreetLib on November 26 and waited until December 08 before contacting them to find out what the delay was. I thought 12 days would be plenty of time to distribute the book.

Hello Melania, apologies for the inconvenience, it's been an internal communication issue and I'm very sorry for the delay. We're working to make your books available on GPlay quickly. I've sent an email to you with all the details. Thank you.
CEO at StreetLib USA

Offline Giac

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • StreetLib
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2017, 06:54:34 PM »
Payoneer would be awesome, Giacomo.

I currently use Streetlib and am very happy with them.  They have great customer service and provide access to many stores I can't get into elsewhere. They are very responsive to questions and suggestions, at least that has been my experience. 

The website and interface can do with some improvements but they are currently working on that. The layout isn't intuitive and there is no ability to set prices by country, which is a big issue because prices can easily get out of sync with other sales platforms.

But...they are learning and growing, and I appreciate having one more avenue to sell my books. And I really want to see them succeed.

Many thanks for your feedback!
I can now confirm we're going to release the new version of our publishing application that, among other things, will let you set a different price for each store, set different territorial rights and add advanced books metadata. I'll post the invitation link for start using the new platform here as soon as I can. Thank you.

CEO at StreetLib USA

Online loraininflorida

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2017, 07:18:20 PM »
I was planning on putting a book on Pronoun.com. Can you tell me how this is superior to Pronoun.com, which is free?

Lorain O'Neil

Offline M M

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2017, 11:40:04 PM »
Many thanks for your feedback!
I can now confirm we're going to release the new version of our publishing application that, among other things, will let you set a different price for each store, set different territorial rights and add advanced books metadata. I'll post the invitation link for start using the new platform here as soon as I can. Thank you.

Fantastic. I hope you will  announce on Streetlib/via email also, as I don't visit KBoards very often anymore.

Offline JTriptych

• View Profile
    • facebook
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2017, 12:16:19 AM »
I am a member of streetlib and its great. The one problem I have with it is setting the price on google play. I try to set it as $.99 but GPLAY advertises it as $1.50. I wish SL would negotiate with google for a lower price or adjust their dashboard to make it that way.

Offline Ron Sauder

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2017, 02:38:33 PM »
Hello Giacomo -

I find your service interesting and welcome the entree to so many international channels as well as Google Play and OverDrive. However - am a bit concerned about your lack of DRM. Are digital watermarks as safe as DRM? What is your track record with piracy? Thanks for any information you can provide.

Offline Giac

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • StreetLib
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2017, 06:13:32 PM »
I am a member of streetlib and its great. The one problem I have with it is setting the price on google play. I try to set it as $.99 but GPLAY advertises it as $1.50. I wish SL would negotiate with google for a lower price or adjust their dashboard to make it that way.

JTriptych Yes you're right, but as I mentioned before you will soon be able to customize the price on Google Play via StreetLib for the main currencies. In that way you can provide to Google Play your desired List Price on which they'll pay your royalties, even if they can always change the cover price (meaning the price the final customers will see on the website). They can do that because they sell in wholesale, they do that all over the world and I'm not aware of someone getting a better agreement on that.
CEO at StreetLib USA

Offline Giac

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • StreetLib
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2017, 06:30:31 PM »
Hello Giacomo -

I find your service interesting and welcome the entree to so many international channels as well as Google Play and OverDrive. However - am a bit concerned about your lack of DRM. Are digital watermarks as safe as DRM? What is your track record with piracy? Thanks for any information you can provide.

Ron Sauder, many thanks for your feedback!

My opinion after working 10 years with this technologies is: DRM is the death of any digital economy.
Did you see what happened to Shelfie? DRM is a digital locker that limits the freedom of your loyalty readers without limiting the possibility to hack or copy your ebooks. It doesn't make sense at all to use the DRM nowadays. It's pointless to use a standard file format (EPUB) if you then apply the DRM on it because DRM is a proprietary technology which is not standard at all. DRM is compatible with a limited fraction of reading applications and devices, it doesn't allow to copy and share the text, it doesn't allow to move or copy your ebooks across different devices, etc...

We're proudly advocating against DRM since 2006: please trust me and start using the digital watermark, which is not a locker but a simple image that you add at the end of your books with your credits. Publishing a standard EPUB with watermark you will let your ebooks flow as much as they deserve, which is the best long-term strategy ever.
CEO at StreetLib USA

Offline Giac

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • StreetLib
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2017, 07:08:14 PM »
I was planning on putting a book on Pronoun.com. Can you tell me how this is superior to Pronoun.com, which is free?

loraininflorida Thanks for the question!

Pronoun is doing great and as far as I can see many people here in the forum are excited about it. They do offer some great deals for authors interested in the US market (where they're basically free, as you said), but I've yet to understand how (and for how long) this can work for them. Plus, as far as I can read on their TOS, they can unilaterally change the distribution conditions at any time. So, honestly, I like their technology (many authors told me great things about their analytics capabilities) and I don't like the way they're managing their business (I think it's not transparent at all).

How does StreetLib (SL) compare to Pronoun (PR)? Here's a list of the main differences:
1. SL distributes to all the big online retailers in the US (Amazon, Google, Apple, Kobo and B&N) and to many others relevant retailers all around the world (BajaLibros, Bookmate, CasaDelLibro, Tolino, the StreetLib store, here the complete list: https://www.streetlib.com/book-stores/)
2. SL has a 10% distribution fee, regardless the book price, the book size and the country where the book is sold.
3. SL offers for FREE a full-featured authoring environment (called StreetLib Write) where you can upload your manuscript, edit/format/update it online, apply a beautiful graphic template, get your EPub/Mobi or publish it through our distribution technology.
4. SL offers a POS platform (called StreetLib Print) that lets you print a number of copies of your books or distribute your printed copies on Amazon and other online retailers. There's no upfront cost and you only need to upload your print-ready PDF file. Making a good print-ready PDF is not that easy and SL offers some cool additional services to make it easier.
5. SL offers an e-commerce platform (called StreetLib Stores) that lets you create your own book store and publish it on your website, in that way you can start direct selling your books to your readers without any technical knowledge and up-front cost. SL takes 15% for each sale, that means you'll end up getting a 75% royalties for your books direct-sold through your website.

I would like to add a final comment: We at StreetLib have a clear vision of how this new digital publishing world is going to evolve and we like to play for the long term. We embrace inclusivity instead of exclusivity, we invest in developing added value services to improve our customers' business instead of leveraging our strategy on our competitors' commercial operations, we make our best to build a loyalty community of authors and publishers that believe in our team instead of attracting them with specific marketing campaigns. This is an article I wrote to describe what we're doing: https://medium.com/streetlib/wider-is-wiser-c59b27a674a0#.4wb36lpd7. Hope it helps, thank you!

CEO at StreetLib USA