Author Topic: New Echo? And so it begins...  (Read 549 times)  

Online The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
  • Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
New Echo? And so it begins...
« on: November 29, 2016, 09:47:52 AM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-29/amazon-said-to-plan-premium-alexa-speaker-with-large-screen

The rumors are beginning about a new Echo. This iteration will have (we are told)!a touchscreen and better-quality speakers. Before I'd buy it, Amazon would have to convince me it was better than putting my iPad (or even a Fire) in a cradle with built-in speakers. And of course this may be completely wrong, or just a prototype tested that will never be marketed.

(Make your own reading bar)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
Re: New Echo? And so it begins...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 10:39:04 AM »
I thought the whole point of the Echo was that it was voice controlled, rather than having a screen interface like a tablet. I'd prefer them to put their energies into what you can do with the Echo as it is - the choice of 'skills' needs to be expanded considerably - at least for us in the UK.
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Online Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
  • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
    • View Profile
Re: New Echo? And so it begins...
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 05:26:31 AM »
I thought the whole point of the Echo was that it was voice controlled, rather than having a screen interface like a tablet. I'd prefer them to put their energies into what you can do with the Echo as it is - the choice of 'skills' needs to be expanded considerably - at least for us in the UK.

Exactly -- voice control, not another screen!

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
His last collar hangs on my bedpost.