KB Featured Book
The Stone Thread: Second Chronicle
by J. Evangelisti

$ 1.99
Kindle Edition published 2014-07-09
Bestseller ranking: 559636

Product Description
This is a harrowing tale of survival in a post-apocalyptic dystopia.
What was once New York City in the past has become a new and protected home in 3000 AD for the survivors of this world but with a cost. Impossible rules are made to follow and without question. Citizens cannot leave the protected bubble that surrounds New York City as the world outside is unfit for human survival.
Tough law Enforcement Officer Cryton, a detective first class, struggles to survive each day and trusts no one. Cryton is brought in to solve a mystery by the organization that controls the city. He will meet Marsha, a woman with many secrets, whose secrets Cryton must unravel to solve a mystery that will destroy the inhabitants of the city. Marsha is a femme fatale, an attractive and seductive woman, who ultimately could bring disaster to a man who becomes involved with her.
This story will appeal to readers of suspenseful thrillers. The mysteries within the...

Author Topic: Amazon Go  (Read 543 times)  

Offline barryem

• View Profile
Amazon Go
« on: December 07, 2016, 07:00:23 AM »
I saw this yesterday and I've been thinking about it ever since:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrmMk1Myrxc

Amazon has made some huge changes in the way we live and this might turn out to be one of the biggest of them.

What a great time to be alive! :)

Barry

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon Go
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 07:09:53 AM »
Thanks for the link. I'd been seeing headlines but had never stopped to see more of what this might be about.
Carol in 'burque

Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Offline Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 07:17:20 AM »
Sam's Club does something similar. I keep meaning to download the app.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 07:42:29 AM »
Sam's Club does something similar. I keep meaning to download the app.
Wow! The way we shop at Costco is the way I presume others shop at Sam's - that must be an impressive set of software that they've got.
Carol in 'burque

Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 08:30:00 AM »
Wow! The way we shop at Costco is the way I presume others shop at Sam's - that must be an impressive set of software that they've got.

Yup. Scan the item with your phone, pay from your phone. The only problem for me is I also update my shopping list with Alexa on my phone and I'd probably be switching back and forth between apps.

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 08:34:17 AM »
The Amazon Go store is in Seattle to be open to the public in January.

Online Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
  • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 04:20:55 AM »
So when is it coming to my 'burb west of Chicago?  ;)  I refuse to drive far at all to grocery shop.

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

Online thewitt

• Charlotte, NC
    • View Profile
    • The Triadine Saga
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 04:48:49 AM »
Yup. Scan the item with your phone, pay from your phone. The only problem for me is I also update my shopping list with Alexa on my phone and I'd probably be switching back and forth between apps.

The Amazon GO model is NOT a "scan with your phone" model. They have vision systems and software in the store that tracks what you pick up and put in your shopping cart or bag. You pay for that stuff... No scanning required. 

If you put something back, they automatically take it out of your order.

I suspect it's not going to work as well as the YouTube video, but it's a cool concept.  The problem is it's very sophisticated, and the more complex a system is, the more chances of failure.

Should be fun though, and it's certainly a great step toward real self-service.

Author of The Traidine Saga: An Epic Fantasy
Timothy Bond | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Amazon | TakeAHike

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Snowlek
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 05:03:33 AM »
The Amazon GO model is NOT a "scan with your phone" model. They have vision systems and software in the store that tracks what you pick up and put in your shopping cart or bag. You pay for that stuff... No scanning required. 

I suspect it's not going to work as well as the YouTube video, but it's a cool concept.  The problem is it's very sophisticated, and the more complex a system is, the more chances of failure.

Yeah . . . Colbert did a funny bit on it the other night . . . about how you walk into the store, pick stuff up off the shelves and walk out -- which in most places would be called STEALING! He also pointed out that one would no longer have to wait in line for people to find the correct change; now you'll wait in line for the person to download the correct app. :) 

It is a cool concept . . . . I'm sure there will be bugs to work out. But I'm not even keen to use the self check out at Safeway -- half the time the line is longer there than for a person and half the kiosks have the red "please help me!" light flashing. I only use them if there's no line and I only have a very few items.

I guess we're moving toward the Star Trek model where everything we need is available via replicator/transporter nearly instantly. :D

OOOHHH! Keurig ought to make a machine that works on voice commands so one can say, "Earl Gray, hot"! ;D Or that works with Alexa/Echo or Google Home. ;)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 05:05:23 AM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 11:53:44 AM »

I know. I was talking about how Sam's Club app works.