by M. R. Mathias

$ 3.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-07-09
Bestseller ranking: 7762

Product Description
Taerak's Void
(Book One of Fantastica)
A new series by multiple award winning author, M. R. Mathias

After finding a strange medallion and some maps with markings that no one in his village can understand, Braxton Bray decides to take it all to the Hall of Scholars in the kingdom's capital. But greed is everywhere. Braxton and a tough young female caravan guard named Nixy are forced to run for their lives, for someone else wants what Braxton found and is willing to go to great lengths to take it from him.

With a hefty, kingdom wide, bounty on their heads, not even the great wizards of the Sorcerious can help them. Left with nothing but each other, Braxton and Nixy have no choice but to get on a ship and go on an adventure that will take them places they would have otherwise never imagined. Elves, dwarves, giant gothicans, and trolls, treacherous forests on distant shores, love, death, terror, and magic all await...

Author Topic: The Invisible Library -- and other KBoards favorites to try!  (Read 2837 times)  

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
The Invisible Library -- and other KBoards favorites to try!
« on: December 15, 2016, 06:09:32 PM »

So . . . big Thank You to whomever noticed this on sale last month . . . I picked it up and I really enjoyed it. . . . Here's my write up on GR: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1822860851?book_show_action=false&from_review_page=1

Short answer: I really enjoyed it.  She's created a unique world and does a good job of sort of explaining things without sounding like a lecture. And neither do you find yourself confused about unfamiliar things, which is sometimes a problem in complex imaginary worlds. I'm glad I got it on sale, but, honestly, I'd say it's worth the current price of $11.99.  I've got the next volume, The Masked City on my wishlist and will likely pick it up after I've gotten to a couple other things on my TBR list. They're also available via Overdrive, but not currently at any of my libraries. I may request 'em. The third one is supposed to come out in a month -- there might be another sale when that happens.

Anyway, just sharing, as I know several of us had picked it up and someone asked what I thought. :D
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 02:20:43 PM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
Re: The Invisible Library
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 06:14:29 PM »
Excellent!  Enablers unite, I will move it up my TBR list.
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 06:39:01 PM »
I've had my eye on this for a while - and as we often like the same things, I'll have to bump it up my list too.

Crebel, please don't encourage the enablers. If my TBR list was paper books instead of Kindle books, I'd be the proud owner of the world's largest edifice as it is.  :o
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 07:05:22 PM »
I've had my eye on this for a while - and as we often like the same things, I'll have to bump it up my list too.

Crebel, please don't encourage the enablers. If my TBR list was paper books instead of Kindle books, I'd be the proud owner of the world's largest edifice as it is.  :o

Says the person who hooked us on the Saint Marys' series... 

I confess, it was I who enabled just a few members when I found The Invisible Library on sale for $1.99 a month or so ago.  Neener, neener!  :P

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 04:11:55 AM »

Oh, yes!  If all the books on my list were in PAPER, I'm not sure I'd be able to move around my house! :o

(Except I'd probably not have bought most of them because my husband, generally a pretty easy going type, would likely have put his foot down!)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 05:37:24 AM »
Says the person who hooked us on the Saint Marys' series...

Who? Me? You must be mistaken ...  :P

There's a St Mary's short due out on Christmas Day. You didn't hear it from me.   ;)
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
    • Goodreads
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 01:16:59 PM »
Invisible Library and the sequels - it is all Crebel's fault !

I am so glad you liked in, Ann. I enjoyed it very much but I also felt it is perhaps not everyone's cup of tea - no high and complicated fantasy world with unpronounceable names, definitely short in  "romance" department", not much of recognizable tropes. What I liked most is the main character - kind of calm, no-nonsense, smart woman, a bit cynical but definitely sensible. Pleasure to travel with :)

Saint Mary's is definitely on the wish list. Honestly, the amount of enabling that's going on around here...

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 03:52:54 PM »

I am so glad you liked in, Ann. I enjoyed it very much but I also felt it is perhaps not everyone's cup of tea - no high and complicated fantasy world with unpronounceable names, definitely short in  "romance" department", not much of recognizable tropes. What I liked most is the main character - kind of calm, no-nonsense, smart woman, a bit cynical but definitely sensible. Pleasure to travel with :)

Saint Mary's is definitely on the wish list. Honestly, the amount of enabling that's going on around here...

Saint Mary's is really one of my favorite series now, automatic buys when new ones are out (even the novellas and I mostly despise novellas!), and yes I have pre-ordered the novella due out Christmas day.  The other great series someone here enabled me to is the Genevieve Lenard series by Estelle Ryan, another auto-buy for me now (and the first one, The Gauguin Connection is still free if you haven't tried it yet).

KBoard enablers are the best!

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 04:18:39 PM »

I am so glad you liked in, Ann. I enjoyed it very much but I also felt it is perhaps not everyone's cup of tea - no high and complicated fantasy world with unpronounceable names, definitely short in  "romance" department", not much of recognizable tropes.

These are probably reasons why I DID like it. :D

What I liked most is the main character - kind of calm, no-nonsense, smart woman, a bit cynical but definitely sensible. Pleasure to travel with :)

Yep. Me too. Plus there was clever humor.

Saint Mary's is definitely on the wish list.

You won't be sorry. :)

Honestly, the amount of enabling that's going on around here...

And I saw on GR that Atunah is just starting the Amelia Peabody series . . . . . one of my favorites. 8)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 04:20:27 PM »
Saint Mary's is really one of my favorite series now, automatic buys when new ones are out (even the novellas and I mostly despise novellas!), and yes I have pre-ordered the novella due out Christmas day.  The other great series someone here enabled me to is the Genevieve Lenard series by Estelle Ryan, another auto-buy for me now (and the first one, The Gauguin Connection is still free if you haven't tried it yet).

KBoard enablers are the best!

Yes! Genevieve Lenard . . . another new favorite series. I'm reading #6 right now.

I also highly recommend Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series . . . . murder mysteries, but just beautifully written with marvelous characters and a wonderful sense of 'place'.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
    • Goodreads
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 04:46:32 PM »
LOL what I meant is that every NEW Saint Mary's on the wish list - Linjeakel enabled that series long time ago :)!

I only read the first Lenard, should pick up the other ones.

My recent discovery is the The Watchmaker's Daughter (Glass and Steele Book 1) by our own C J Archer. I am reading the second book in the series now and quite enjoy it. It is somewhat lacking in atmosphere (I think) but the characters are very good, and there is plenty of action.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2016, 06:48:21 PM »

My recent discovery is the The Watchmaker's Daughter (Glass and Steele Book 1) by our own C J Archer. I am reading the second book in the series now and quite enjoy it. It is somewhat lacking in atmosphere (I think) but the characters are very good, and there is plenty of action.

That's on my wish list . . . . . I'll get to it eventually . . . maybe next year. ;)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 12:55:10 PM »
Here's my enabling:

The Uccello Connection (Book 10) (Genevieve Lenard) AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER, delivered January 11, 2017.
Yes, I've already pre-ordered.

And I liked The Invisible Library and have read all the St. Mary's...

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 01:35:05 PM »
Here's my enabling:

The Uccello Connection (Book 10) (Genevieve Lenard) AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER, delivered January 11, 2017.

YAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!  Thanks, Andra.  I have pre-ordered as well.  :-*

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
Re: The Invisible Library -- and other KBoards favorites to try!
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 02:22:19 PM »
I just pre-ordered the new Genevieve Lenard as well . . . the best thing about that series is that it's so reasonably priced for as good as it is.

Oh, and, I changed the title of the thread to reflect the nature of the conversation. :D

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2016, 03:31:23 PM »
I also highly recommend Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series . . . . murder mysteries, but just beautifully written with marvelous characters and a wonderful sense of 'place'.

I've put the first one, Still Life, on a wish list, but will check the library first.  Your recommendations are usually spot on for me, you enabler, you!

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2016, 04:32:38 PM »
Here's my enabling:

Another shout out to Andra and the KB enablers, they are faster than Amazon!  I have a follow on Estelle Ryan and I got the e-mail about the new release pre-order about 2 hours after Andra's post and my confirmation e-mail of the pre-order. :)

Offline archaeoroutes

• Somerset, England
    • View Profile
    • Alasdair Shaw
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2016, 10:13:28 AM »
I bought this for my partner for Christmas last year (or was it her birthday). Don't think she's read it yet - I may have to find it and read it myself...

Genres: Space Opera, MilSF, Popular Science, Physics Textbooks, Archaeology, Walking
Alasdair C Shaw | Personal Website | SciFi Website | Physics Website | Archaeology Website | Newsletter Signup

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2017, 04:15:27 PM »
I finished reading The Invisible Library today while in a waiting room.  Went to buy #2 immediately since my gift card balance is healthy following Christmas and, of course, there was no public Wi-Fi available so I had to wait and started an already downloaded fluffy romance to tide me over until I got home.  I'm willing to pay full price for the next book after such a good sale on the first book.  My library doesn't have them and I haven't had much luck with purchase requests being added to the system.

I actually thought the start of the book was uninteresting until they got into the alternate world, then I couldn't put it down.  Sort of a cross between the St. Mary's time travel/history and Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next books.  I will read Book 2 over the weekend because Book 3 comes out next week.

Anybody want to talk spoilers about who you think the "brother and sister" from the missing story might be?  Or does anyone else think Vale and Kai might have family ties?

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
  • Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2017, 06:06:23 AM »
I bought the "library book" during the original sale but haven't started it yet. Clearly I need to give it a try.

(Make your own reading bar)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2017, 03:53:23 AM »
I've put the first one, Still Life, on a wish list, but will check the library first.  Your recommendations are usually spot on for me, you enabler, you!

I don't have to worry about the library anymore, Still Life is on sale today for $2.99 and now resides safely in the TBR pile.

Here's my enabling:

It's here!!!!

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2017, 05:02:18 AM »
Yes! The Uccello Connection showed up for me as well . . . . of course I think I'm only on Leger so I have a few to catch up on.

Hope you enjoy the Louise Penny -- her latest was on sale a few weeks ago and I picked it up for a couple of bucks. It's the last one of the series that I have to read so I'm saving it for when I need something I'm SURE I'll enjoy reading.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2017, 05:14:36 AM »
The reasonable pre-order/release price of $5.99 for The Uccello Connection plus the $2.99 sale for the first Louise Penny took the sting out of buying The Burning Page (book 3 of The Invisible Library series) at full price ($11.99) when it was released yesterday.  How convenient that Book 3 was released just as I finished reading Book 2 at 1 a.m...

Keep up the good work KB enablers! ;D

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
    • Goodreads
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2017, 03:16:41 PM »
  I will read Book 2 over the weekend because Book 3 comes out next week.

I decided to re-read the first book before I start on the Masked City. It feels like such a smooth reading after several less than enchanting novels I've read in the past 3 weeks. So no spoilers from the Masked City for me yet :) But I was wandering how you liked the book 2, Crebel? Is it as good as the first one?

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2017, 04:48:16 PM »
I decided to re-read the first book before I start on the Masked City. It feels like such a smooth reading after several less than enchanting novels I've read in the past 3 weeks. So no spoilers from the Masked City for me yet :) But I was wandering how you liked the book 2, Crebel? Is it as good as the first one?

Yes, #2 is as good as #1, maybe even a little better!  I have now finished #3 and I'm not sure if the story is 'complete' as a trilogy or there will be more coming.  While the ending of #3 is in no way a cliffhanger, the story isn't as wrapped up as I hope for if it is the final book.

One thing I have thought about after reading all 3 back-to-back is the lack of "everyday life" when we spend weeks or months with them non-stop over the course of the books.  As in rarely do they sleep or sit down to a meal; Irene in particular.  She always wants a bath, but even though she gets cleaned up and changes clothes the time to do so is not noted except for the change in appearance.  They meet at a coffee shop or restaurant, but I don't recall knowing what they eat or drink (other than bourbon when available!).  They (at least Vale and Irene since they are human) aren't ever in dire or even routine need of finding the 'facilities', etc.  Is this a weird thing to notice?  Maybe it's there and I didn't read closely enough over the mundane getting to the action.

eta:  In going back to read reviews for Book 3, I see several mentions of Book 4, "The Lost Plot", expected in December - yay!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 06:58:14 PM by crebel »