Author Topic: The Invisible Library -- and other KBoards favorites to try!  (Read 3127 times)  

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
Re: The Invisible Library -- and other KBoards favorites to try!
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2017, 06:11:21 PM »
Yes, #2 is as good as #1, maybe even a little better!  I have now finished #3 and I'm not sure if the story is 'complete' as a trilogy or there will be more coming.  While the ending of #3 is in no way a cliffhanger, the story isn't as wrapped up as I hope for if it is the final book.

One thing I have thought about after reading all 3 back-to-back is the lack of "everyday life" when we spend weeks or months with them non-stop over the course of the books.  As in rarely do they sleep or sit down to a meal; Irene in particular.  She always wants a bath, but even though she gets cleaned up and changes clothes the time to do so is not noted except for the change in appearance.  They meet at a coffee shop or restaurant, but I don't recall knowing what they eat or drink (other than bourbon when available!).  They (at least Vale and Irene since they are human) aren't ever in dire or even routine need of finding the 'facilities', etc.  Is this a weird thing to notice?  Maybe it's there and I didn't read closely enough over the mundane getting to the action.

That's pretty typical for most books, it seems to me. Meals are used primarily to further the plot via discussions or meetings with other characters. That's less likely to happen while bathing or performing other . . . . personal functions.  In a way, it would be weird if there was too much of such detail! :o

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2017, 06:47:00 PM »
Oh, I agree we don't need a great deal of specificity regarding everyday functions, but I want to know something about their routine.  Like Irene desperately wanting a bath, but never seeming to get one - it seems like she thinks it will be an extremely important restorative, but we don't know it was.  Or after a particularly difficult use of The Language; she often needs the physical support of another person.  Is a small amount of time all she needs to recover or does she need food and/or drink, at least the occasional many hours of sleep rather than a catnap on someone's shoulder?

Emotionally the characters become more fleshed out through Book 2 and definitely into Book 3, but the personal details remain somewhat of a mystery, IMO. 

One of the things I truly enjoy about this series is the use of The Language and how precise they need to be to get a useful result.  I think Cogman has done a wonderful job of considering (and having the characters consider in split-second decisions) what horrible outcomes imprecise words can lead to.

Another thing.  I don't think I'm giving any spoilers by saying Vale is absolutely a characterization of Sherlock Holmes.  Do you think Irene chose her Librarian name because of Irene Adler? We learn what her "real" name is and we know why some other Librarians chose their names, but we didn't learn any whys of her choice, did we?
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2017, 05:12:57 AM »
Oh, I agree we don't need a great deal of specificity regarding everyday functions, but I want to know something about their routine.  Like Irene desperately wanting a bath, but never seeming to get one - it seems like she thinks it will be an extremely important restorative, but we don't know it was.  Or after a particularly difficult use of The Language; she often needs the physical support of another person.  Is a small amount of time all she needs to recover or does she need food and/or drink, at least the occasional many hours of sleep rather than a catnap on someone's shoulder?

Emotionally the characters become more fleshed out through Book 2 and definitely into Book 3, but the personal details remain somewhat of a mystery, IMO. 

One of the things I truly enjoy about this series is the use of The Language and how precise they need to be to get a useful result.  I think Cogman has done a wonderful job of considering (and having the characters consider in split-second decisions) what horrible outcomes imprecise words can lead to.

Another thing.  I don't think I'm giving any spoilers by saying Vale is absolutely a characterization of Sherlock Holmes.  Do you think Irene chose her Librarian name because of Irene Adler? We learn what her "real" name is and we know why some other Librarians chose their names, but we didn't learn any whys of her choice, did we?

I guess those things don't matter to me . . . I assume time has passed and don't worry about nothing critical to the plot having happened. What DOES bother me is if it appears quite clear that not enough time can possibly have passed for some particular thing to have worked itself out. So something like (random example here, not from this book/series) we'll need 2 hours before the blaster can be recharged to fire again and then, during what's obviously all the same conversation and no more than 5 minutes could have passed, here comes the enemy and, miracle of miracles, the blaster is charged and they fire it.

As to Irene's name . . . . I don't recall anything in the first book specifically about why she picked it, but, I concur that Vale is a Holmesian type . . . .

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
    • Goodreads
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2017, 02:34:57 PM »

Yes, I was wondering about that. Although she was not too happy being called Winters by Kai :) The name choices are of course an interesting issue, in the real life as well.
Regarding the necessities of a daily life, I kind of gave up on that. I do tend to complain about the lack of information in that respect, but also when too much information is provided, so there is no way of pleasing me. Still, it is important that our suspension of disbelief is not disturbed by widely improbable handling, or mishandling, of human needs. I have recently read a thrilled by a self published author, and the only thing I was able to concentrate on was the casual "mistreatment" of the main character's dog, like apparently leaving the dog unattended outside for days etc. Of course it is a nonsense, and I know the author is a great dog lover, but it was bothering me for some reason. And it is now one of a few things I remember about the book.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2017, 12:16:48 PM »
LOL what I meant is that every NEW Saint Mary's on the wish list - Linjeakel enabled that series long time ago :)!

I only read the first Lenard, should pick up the other ones.

My recent discovery is the The Watchmaker's Daughter (Glass and Steele Book 1) by our own C J Archer. I am reading the second book in the series now and quite enjoy it. It is somewhat lacking in atmosphere (I think) but the characters are very good, and there is plenty of action.

Speaking of every new Saint Mary's, the pre-order is available for the next full-length novel.  Due out April 17th!

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2017, 03:19:45 PM »
Speaking of every new Saint Mary's, the pre-order is available for the next full-length novel.  Due out April 17th!

Thank you! Just pre-ordered . . . . . those things are so reasonably priced for how much fun they are! :D

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2017, 11:54:46 AM »
Book 4 of The Invisible Library series is now available for preorder at, *gulp*, $11.99 (books 1-3 are also all $11.99 now) and not due out until the end of November.  I've got it on a watch list to see if any sort of preorder price drop/sale shows up.  Maybe any or all of the 1st three books may be offered at more reasonable prices between now and then for those who are still wanting to try this series.

I'm very glad book 3 was not the end!

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2017, 12:36:10 PM »
Book 4 of The Invisible Library series is now available for preorder at, *gulp*, $11.99 (books 1-3 are also all $11.99 now) and not due out until the end of November.  I've got it on a watch list to see if any sort of preorder price drop/sale shows up.  Maybe any or all of the 1st three books may be offered at more reasonable prices between now and then for those who are still wanting to try this series.

These books are generally available via Overdrive once released . . . that's how I read book two and I'm on the wait list for book 3.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
    • Goodreads
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2017, 03:43:45 PM »

Great news, thank you! Something to look forward to!

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2017, 08:42:40 AM »
Estelle Ryan's new Genevieve Lenard connection book is available for pre-order.  Release day is August 24th.  As I've mentioned before, these are auto-buys for me :)
The Netscher Connection - $5.99

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2017, 08:53:16 AM »
Estelle Ryan's new Genevieve Lenard connection book is available for pre-order.  Release day is August 24th.  As I've mentioned before, these are auto-buys for me :)

Ooooh! Thanks for the notice.

Just pre-ordered.  I'm almost caught up -- just have Ucello left to read.

You know, I think I'd buy 'em even if they were $10 or $12 rather than $6!

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2017, 06:25:47 PM »

Ditto on Ann's thanks on the heads up and I also agree with her willingness to order them even if they were higher priced.

I had just opened the email and was coming here to shout it out, but no need!

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2017, 05:36:04 AM »

Ooooh! Thanks for the notice.

Just pre-ordered.  I'm almost caught up -- just have Ucello left to read.

You know, I think I'd buy 'em even if they were $10 or $12 rather than $6!

Ditto on Ann's thanks on the heads up and I also agree with her willingness to order them even if they were higher priced.

I had just opened the email and was coming here to shout it out, but no need!

I've had the first book in this series on my TBR list since last year. With such ringing endorsements I really must get around to it sooner rather than later. What is it about this series that you guys love so much?
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2017, 06:21:51 AM »
I've had the first book in this series on my TBR list since last year. With such ringing endorsements I really must get around to it sooner rather than later. What is it about this series that you guys love so much?

You really should, I recommend moving Gaugin Connection to the top of your TBR pile!

I have a hard time describing what really draws me to certain books (a good reason for me not to review), but Genevieve Lenard is unique in her abilities/disabilities and Ryan does such a wonderful job of drawing the reader into how she copes and even her inability to cope with some things, yet is still able to be a world-renowned expert in her field because of them.

The cast of supporting characters is rich, the scenarios could be taken from current news headlines, the reader is never talked down to, the mystery/thriller aspects are logical, intelligent, in depth, and have great twists and turns. There is some romance, but they are in no way Romance novels. Friendships are formed and grow deep as each character's personalities, quirks, and abilities meld into the group that surround, support, and work with Genevieve.  I personally would rate this series as one of my desert island reads.

BTW - did anyone else know Estelle Ryan is a KBoards member?  I happened to be on the Home page one evening and saw she was here following a certain thread.  I did a fan-girl squee that night and almost sent her a gushing PM, but restrained myself.  *Waves* at Estelle if she's reading this! ;D  Maybe we shouldn't have mentioned we are willing to pay much higher prices ...

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2017, 11:05:26 AM »
You really should, I recommend moving Gaugin Connection to the top of your TBR pile!

I have a hard time describing what really draws me to certain books (a good reason for me not to review), but Genevieve Lenard is unique in her abilities/disabilities and Ryan does such a wonderful job of drawing the reader into how she copes and even her inability to cope with some things, yet is still able to be a world-renowned expert in her field because of them.

The cast of supporting characters is rich, the scenarios could be taken from current news headlines, the reader is never talked down to, the mystery/thriller aspects are logical, intelligent, in depth, and have great twists and turns. There is some romance, but they are in no way Romance novels. Friendships are formed and grow deep as each character's personalities, quirks, and abilities meld into the group that surround, support, and work with Genevieve.  I personally would rate this series as one of my desert island reads.

BTW - did anyone else know Estelle Ryan is a KBoards member?  I happened to be on the Home page one evening and saw she was here following a certain thread.  I did a fan-girl squee that night and almost sent her a gushing PM, but restrained myself.  *Waves* at Estelle if she's reading this! ;D  Maybe we shouldn't have mentioned we are willing to pay much higher prices ...

It certainly sounds like something I would enjoy. I'm going to try to get around to it in the next two or three books I read, but yeah, maybe nix the volunteering to pay more - I have 11 books to catch up on!  :o :o ;D
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2017, 02:18:02 PM »
I agree with Chris. There is something compelling about Dr. Lenard. I enjoy watching how she copes with things that I know I take for granted. And I love the different quirks of all the supporting characters.
I didn't realize Estelle Ryan was a member. *waves*

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2017, 04:27:57 PM »
Yeah . . . crebel has it dead on. The characters are interesting -- and grow -- and the mysteries are intriguing. And Ryan REALLY does a great job of depicting Genevieve in a way that is relatable but at the same time "normal" people can get an idea of the challenges she deals with on a daily basis. You also learn a lot about various artists . . . and, at least for me, it's inspired me to some additional research and looking up some of the paintings they mention.

I think I did know Estelle was a member here . . . but I won't hold that against her. ;D :P :P ;D

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2017, 07:34:03 AM »
Book 2 of The Invisible Library series, The Masked City is $5.99

I know some of you have already purchased it at full price and it's over $5.00 so technically not a "bargain."

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2017, 10:28:20 AM »
Book 2 of The Invisible Library series, The Masked City is $5.99

I know some of you have already purchased it at full price and it's over $5.00 so technically not a "bargain."

Happily, those are available through my library via Overdrive.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2017, 03:39:59 PM »
It certainly sounds like something I would enjoy. I'm going to try to get around to it in the next two or three books I read, but yeah, maybe nix the volunteering to pay more - I have 11 books to catch up on!  :o :o ;D

I see you finally have The Gaugin Connection in your reading bar!  What do you think so far?  I'm really interested to see if we have sufficiently enabled you to get hooked on a new series. ;)

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2017, 04:01:58 PM »
I see you finally have The Gaugin Connection in your reading bar!  What do you think so far?  I'm really interested to see if we have sufficiently enabled you to get hooked on a new series. ;)

I'm enjoying it. The characters, especially Genevieve, are refreshingly different. At first I found the central mystery plot a little confusing and difficult to follow - I realised I was reading too quickly and that it deserved more focus.

I'm up to about 70% now and I'm sure I'll be continuing with the series. *Eyes ever-increasing series list on FictFact and sighs*

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2017, 04:25:40 PM »
I'm enjoying it. The characters, especially Genevieve, are refreshingly different. At first I found the central mystery plot a little confusing and difficult to follow - I realised I was reading too quickly and that it deserved more focus.

I'm up to about 70% now and I'm sure I'll be continuing with the series. *Eyes ever-increasing series list on FictFact and sighs*

Success!! ;D  The subsequent books do not fall down at all in continued character development and unique mysteries with interesting twists.  You won't be sorry to continue. BTW, in case you hadn't noticed, all of the books are lendable.  Might be a few of us willing to help you catch up.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2017, 04:29:43 PM »
And crebel got another one.  :P

Go and carve another name in your bed post. Assuming you have a bed post.  ;D

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2017, 04:34:40 PM »
And crebel got another one.  :P

Go and carve another name in your bed post. Assuming you have a bed post.  ;D

It was a group effort.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 06:46:42 AM by crebel »

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2017, 04:35:31 PM »
Yay, Linda!

You're right -- they do require a bit more focus than the average fluffy mystery. But they are so worth it. :D

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)