mblart

Author Topic: My experience with KDP paperback publishing  (Read 3114 times)  

Offline Rickie Blair

• Southern Ontario
    • View Profile
    • Rickie Blair
My experience with KDP paperback publishing
« on: December 22, 2016, 07:25:52 AM »
Thought I'd post this for anyone who's wondering about using KDP Print vs CreateSpace.

I have a new book up on Amazon, and decided to put it into KU for at least three months (my others are wide).
So I decided to give the new KDP Print option a try. Here's what I found:

Pros:
1. The setup was quick and easy, since the system copies all the info, keywords, etc. that you used to set up the ebook. (I used CS templates for the cover and the text, although there are KDP options.)
2. The paperback was live on the site the same day. So, it was quick. (Although this might change, depending on future volume.)
3. The royalty on a $12.99 (which was the minimum price CS let me set), 312-page, 5.25x8" paperback was $3.20 on CS, $3.21 on KDP. So no loss there.
Cons:
1. You must have your own ISBN, or get one (free) from KDP. But here's a weird thing: Because I'd already set the book up on CS (but hadn't published it yet), KDP wouldn't let me use the same ISBN, because it was "CreateSpace-issued." Except that it wasn't. I arrange my own ISBNs. Whatever. I used a different one for KDP.
2. With no proof copies available (yet), you need to be familiar with the process, or not too particular about seeing the actual paperback, before you approve it for sale. (The online previewer is pretty good though.)
3. The KDP paperbacks aren't available for sale in Canada or Australia. What the heck? (You can, however, sell them in Spain. So that's good.  ??? ) The system doesn't tell you this until you've already set up the book and uploaded the interior file and cover.
ETA: You can buy them if you go to the .com site, however. But the .ca site doesn't even indicate that they exist.
4. Given (2) above, I published the book on CreateSpace anyway (although it's still not live). So now I have two paperbacks, different ISBNs, same book. I'm waiting to see how Amazon deals with that. Will they just ignore the CS version, now that there's a KDP one? Will the CS paperback be available in Canada and Australia? Who knows?
Conclusion:
If you're just setting up a paperback because it makes your ebook look more professional (*raises hand*) and don't actually sell many of them, then the KDP option works fine. If you sell paperbacks in Canada or Australia, it's a no-go. (Although, as far as I can tell, most Canadians buy online books at Kobo, not Amazon.)

Hope that helps someone!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 06:03:53 AM by Rickie Blair »

In Leafy Hollow, murder is always in season!
Rickie Blair | RickieBlair.com | GoodReads | Facebook

Offline eroticatorium

• View Profile
Re: My experience with KDP paperback publishing
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 08:20:18 AM »
When they first began KDP paperbacks, it was very easy. But they recently started being relentlessly, weirdly nitpicky. Like does anybody else get told that there can't be any reference to a book being a bundle? Like... no reference to it at all. It can't be in the title, in the blurb, in the series name, on the title page, the keywords. You're allowed to include a list of stories, people will have to deduce from that that this book is a bundle, because you can't call it a bundle, anthology, collection or omnibus, nor can you plainly say "this book has nine stories".

And WTF is a disc set?! Anybody know? I have a book that gets rejected because it's a "disc set", Amazon has refused to explain what that means.
All that you would, you are

And that is the crown of a craving.

You are slaves of the wormwood star.     

Analysed, reason is raving.
       Feeling, examined, is pain.

What heaven were to hope for a doubt of it!

Life is anguish, insane

And death is - not a way out of it!

Online LadyG

• Michigan
    • View Profile
    • A Goode One
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 08:56:35 AM »
You're right about them being nitpicky. I tried it with my newest book and it was almost ridiculously easy -- or so I thought. They've kicked it back to me four times now because the cover information doesn't match the metadata, and something about the title in the interior doesn't match the metadata. I've asked for information and help, but gotten no response yet.

I am baffled. The book is called "Letters to Caroline" and the cover says "Letters to Caroline." Author name is A.J. Goode, and that's what is says on the cover. Series name is "Brides of Serenity" and that's what it says on the cover.

At least Create space customer service was easy to reach.

Armed with nothing but coffee and a sense of humor.
A.J. Goode | A Goode One | Twitter | Facebook | Newsletter sign-up

Offline eroticatorium

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 08:58:30 AM »
You're right about them being nitpicky. I tried it with my newest book and it was almost ridiculously easy -- or so I thought. They've kicked it back to me four times now because the cover information doesn't match the metadata, and something about the title in the interior doesn't match the metadata. I've asked for information and help, but gotten no response yet.

I am baffled. The book is called "Letters to Caroline" and the cover says "Letters to Caroline." Author name is A.J. Goode, and that's what is says on the cover. Series name is "Brides of Serenity" and that's what it says on the cover.

At least Create space customer service was easy to reach.

I'm not positive, but if you read that form email closely, it seems to say that the title, subtitle and series must match in all three places (cover, metadata, interior). So you have to put the series name on the cover and in the interior title page.
All that you would, you are

And that is the crown of a craving.

You are slaves of the wormwood star.     

Analysed, reason is raving.
       Feeling, examined, is pain.

What heaven were to hope for a doubt of it!

Life is anguish, insane

And death is - not a way out of it!

Online LadyG

• Michigan
    • View Profile
    • A Goode One
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 09:04:49 AM »
I'm not positive, but if you read that form email closely, it seems to say that the title, subtitle and series must match in all three places (cover, metadata, interior). So you have to put the series name on the cover and in the interior title page.

Yup, it's all there.

Armed with nothing but coffee and a sense of humor.
A.J. Goode | A Goode One | Twitter | Facebook | Newsletter sign-up

Offline LGAdams

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 09:10:37 AM »
Yup, it's all there.

I had this same issue, went back in and resubmitted without changes, and it went through. I think it's just like regular KDP customer service - depends on whoever is proofing your request.

The Kindle and paperback formats were linked within 48 hours, but the Kindle version doesn't have that line through the paperback price that it used to have when I used CS. Is that the new normal?

LG Adams & Margot Fox | facebook

Offline dragontucker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 09:13:41 AM »
Thought I'd post this for anyone who's wondering about using KDP Print vs CreateSpace.

I have a new book up on Amazon, and decided to put it into KU for at least three months (my others are wide).

Pros:
1. The setup was quick and easy, since the system copies all the info, keywords, etc. that you used to set up the ebook. (I used CS templates for the cover and the text, although there are KDP options.)
2. The paperback was live on the site the same day. So, it was quick. (Although this might change, depending on future volume.)
3. The royalty on a $12.99 (which was the minimum price CS let me set), 312-page, 5.25x8" paperback was $3.20 on CS, $3.21 on KDP. So no loss there.
Cons:
1. You must have your own ISBN, or get one (free) from KDP. But here's a weird thing: Because I'd already set the book up on CS (but hadn't published it yet), KDP wouldn't let me use the same ISBN, because it was "CreateSpace-issued." Except that it wasn't. I arrange my own ISBNs. Whatever. I used a different one for KDP.
2. With no proof copies available (yet), you need to be familiar with the process, or not too particular about seeing the actual paperback, before you approve it for sale. (The online previewer is pretty good though.)
3. The KDP paperbacks aren't available for sale in Canada or Australia. What the heck? (You can, however, sell them in Spain. So that's good.  ??? ) The system doesn't tell you this until you've already set up the book and uploaded the interior file and cover.
4. Given (2) above, I published the book on CreateSpace anyway (although it's still not live). So now I have two paperbacks, different ISBNs, same book. I'm waiting to see how Amazon deals with that. Will they just ignore the CS version, now that there's a KDP one? Will the CS paperback be available in Canada and Australia? Who knows?
Conclusion:
If you're just setting up a paperback because it makes your ebook look more professional (*raises hand*) and don't actually sell many of them, then the KDP option works fine. If you sell paperbacks in Canada or Australia, it's a no-go. (Although, as far as I can tell, most Canadians buy online books at Kobo, not Amazon.)

Hope that helps someone!

Can you use covers with stock images? Also....does it increase page count on Kindle books? Thanks. I have always wondered about this.

Offline Rickie Blair

• Southern Ontario
    • View Profile
    • Rickie Blair
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 09:25:01 AM »
Can you use covers with stock images? Also....does it increase page count on Kindle books? Thanks. I have always wondered about this.

I assume you can use stock images as long as you have the rights to them. And Kindle has always based the "page count" on the paperback version. Personally, I find that odd, since the same number of words covers a differing number of pages depending on font size, etc., but that's what they do. Amazon used to give the actual word count of a book but they stopped a few years back, no idea why.

Offline LGAdams

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 10:12:44 AM »
My kindle version shows a different page count than the paperback.

Offline Catherine Lea

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 12:02:23 PM »

Pros:
Cons:
Conclusion:

Hope that helps someone!

You could actually publish on both by simply changing the page colour. That makes it a different edition.

There's no such thing as a simple plan.
Catherine Lea | Amazon | Amazon | Amazon | Amazon | Amazon | Amazon | Amazon

Offline Rickie Blair

• Southern Ontario
    • View Profile
    • Rickie Blair
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 12:25:44 PM »

You're right! Mine does too. I never noticed that before.

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2016, 12:47:08 PM »

Ask KDP to synch up the page counts. They will, using the paperback as the count for the Kindle version too.

...but the Kindle version doesn't have that line through the paperback price that it used to have when I used CS. Is that the new normal?

Our Kindle versions have the slashie price from the KDP print (not CS) versions. Does your Kindle version not have the price at all? I'd query KDP, if that's the case.

Offline LGAdams

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2016, 12:52:21 PM »
That's a good idea. I'll give it another day to see if this is something that rolls out incrementally, then ask. Thanks for the info!

Offline Rickie Blair

• Southern Ontario
    • View Profile
    • Rickie Blair
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2016, 12:58:06 PM »
Ask KDP to synch up the page counts. They will, using the paperback as the count for the Kindle version too.

Thanks for the tip! I have requested an adjustment.

ETA: They fixed in within an hour or two, and sent me a confirmation email.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 04:51:02 PM by Rickie Blair »

Offline Rickie Blair

• Southern Ontario
    • View Profile
    • Rickie Blair
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2016, 04:52:16 PM »
When they first began KDP paperbacks, it was very easy. But they recently started being relentlessly, weirdly nitpicky...

Sorry for your ordeal. That sounds like a total pain. I hope you get it sorted.

Offline Melanie Tomlin

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2016, 05:46:47 PM »
Paperbacks aren't available in the Australian store period. Doesn't matter if you use CS, KDP or someone else. Not sure about Canada.

Offline dragontucker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2016, 05:51:56 PM »
I assume you can use stock images as long as you have the rights to them. And Kindle has always based the "page count" on the paperback version. Personally, I find that odd, since the same number of words covers a differing number of pages depending on font size, etc., but that's what they do. Amazon used to give the actual word count of a book but they stopped a few years back, no idea why.

Thanks. It usually raises the kindle page count right? Or does it lower it sometimes? I have been curious about this for a while :)

Offline KevinH

• View Profile
    • The Hardman Writing Stylus
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2016, 06:47:32 PM »

This.  They've never gotten the page count right, so I always have to ask them to fix it.

Offline NeedWant

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2016, 06:55:15 PM »
This.  They've never gotten the page count right, so I always have to ask them to fix it.

I've found that when I update the ebook (you don't even have to change anything, just push it through again) the page count updates and shows the print page count.

Offline CJArcher

• View Profile
    • CJ Archer
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2016, 08:08:51 PM »
3. The KDP paperbacks aren't available for sale in Canada or Australia. What the heck?

Paperbacks aren't available in the Australian store period. Doesn't matter if you use CS, KDP or someone else. Not sure about Canada.

True, but does the OP mean Aussies/Canadians can't buy paperbacks from the US store either if they're KDP published?

Rickie, can you tell me which paperback you produced through KDP so I can check if I can purchase it. I was about to produce my next paperback through KDP but if I can't buy author/giveaway copies that's a deal breaker.

C.J. Archer: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Tumblr

Offline D-C

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Author website
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2016, 11:28:31 PM »
It's still very glitchy. I set up a paperback, had it vanish from CS (as expected) and made sales from the Amazon store but no sales are showing and neither is the black line. Their technical team is looking into it, meanwhile I have no data whatsoever.

Online Rinelle Grey

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2016, 11:57:48 PM »
My KDP published paperback has the print price slashed through on the kindle page. I can also order a copy here in Australia just fine. It will be shipped from the US though, as all print books are, since Amazon only has a virtual presence here in Australia.

Feel good romance with a touch of magic.
Rinelle grey | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Rickie Blair

• Southern Ontario
    • View Profile
    • Rickie Blair
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2016, 05:59:15 AM »

We can order physical books on amazon.ca.

Rickie, can you tell me which paperback you produced through KDP so I can check if I can purchase it. I was about to produce my next paperback through KDP but if I can't buy author/giveaway copies that's a deal breaker.
It's the last one in my sig; From Garden To Grave.
It's MIA on amazon.ca, but available on amazon. com. I could order it from the U.S. site, but if I was only checking .ca I wouldn't even know it was available.

And yes, there are no proof or author-discounted copies available, although amazon says they will be "eventually."
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 06:07:26 AM by Rickie Blair »

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
    • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2016, 09:44:29 AM »
I am pretty sure that Createspace books get to Canada by the underground railroad. Not all my CS titles are available on CA, and those that are, seem to get there after a considerable time lag. This is not the case in Europe.

None of my print editions are available on the AU store.

Similar to CA, some print editions get to the CN store and some don't. None of my Kindle editions are available in China.
Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Offline Debbie Bennett

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's website
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2016, 09:52:03 AM »
None of my print editions are available on the AU store.

You can't get any physical books on the Amazon AU store - it's e-goods only. With family in Melbourne, life would be so much easier with a real Amazon store there. I buy ebook vouchers from Angus & Robertson which can be used in their online store to buy physical books.

Psychological thriller/crime & fantasy writer

All ebook formats and paperbacks available.
www.debbiebennett.co.uk

Hamelin's Child currently FREE in most ebook stores
Rat Run coming soon ...

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac