Author Topic: Echo - general  (Read 2937 times)  

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
  • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
    • View Profile
Echo - general
« on: December 24, 2016, 11:35:43 AM »
I have two Echos.  The one in the bedroom -- it's working when I fall asleep.  Wake up in the morning (app. 5 hour nights if it matters), "Echo, what time is it?"  Nothing.  Try again.  Nothing.  Unplug.  Plug.  Then it works.  Third morning this morning -- about every other lately.  Called Amazon.  One thing trying -- call name had been Alexa, changed it to Echo.  Maybe be that will fix it?  Echo is also / has been call name for Echo in the living room.  Alejandro from Amazon is going to call me tomorrow morning about it.  Merry Christmas.

Funny thing happened last night.  I was listening to talk station in Chicago WGN-AM via Tune-In on Echo.  Radio host was talking about Echos.  She voice demonstrated an Echo request, "Alexa, find local pizza places."  (Something like that.)  And so my Alexa answered.  Sound from radio station went into background and my Alexa gave pizza places.  :D

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

Offline barryem

• View Profile
Re: Echo - general
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 01:38:35 PM »
I saw a video on youtube about a week ago where a guy set up his Echo to read his emails and he also set up his Google Home to read his emails, i think on a different account.  Then he sent an email to the account for Google home titled "Alexa do I have any email?" and he sent one ot the address the Echo was monitoring titled "Okay Google do I have any email?".  The he asked one, it answered, triggering the other which answered, triggering the other, etc.  It went on for 24 hours. :)

Barry

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 06:34:03 PM »
LOL  ;D

Offline sjc

• (Member 153)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 06:06:14 AM »
I have an echo and 2 dots 2nd Gen.
What I don't understand is why the skills don't work unless requested verbatim. One must remember the exact name of the skill precisely or it is useless.Can't ask in general terms....therefore with something like over 5 thousand skills; one needs to keep a log.
Guess I won't be using too many skills. You need skills to use skills so to speak. Anyone else feel the same way??
Fight the Battle-Win the War

Online The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
  • Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 08:32:03 AM »
What I don't understand is why the skills don't work unless requested verbatim. One must remember the exact name of the skill precisely or it is useless.Can't ask in general terms....therefore with something like over 5 thousand skills; one needs to keep a log.
Guess I won't be using too many skills. You need skills to use skills so to speak. Anyone else feel the same way??

I don't like the system either, but consider that Alexa has to search through all the available skills. To avoid confusion, she need something precise! But it is awkward.

(Make your own reading bar)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline barryem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 08:43:31 AM »
I think that's what the Google Home Echo competitor is trying to address.  With it, from what I've read, you don't have to be as precise.  It's said to be good at making inferences from context and also at filling in the blanks based on what it knows about you.  I've only seen this on Youtube videos so far.  I haven't seen the Google Home yet.  Hopefully Amazon will try to do this down the road as well.

Something I've been noticing watching video blogs lately is that they avoid using the word Alexa.  At least most of them seem to be.  I sure hope I'm right.

I just asked Alexa to tell me a joke and she asked why the mushroom gets invited to so many parties?  Then she said it's because he's a fungi (fun guy).  This is something else Amazon needs to work on. :)

Barry

Offline sjc

• (Member 153)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 09:18:10 AM »
My brother has the Google Home and it does address the issue much better than the echo does. However having said that I feel the echo is a much better speaker than the Google home; so for music purposes, I prefer the Echo over the Google home. As far as knowledge goes; the Google home has it all over the echo. I hate to say that because I am an Amazon fan...but the truth is the truth. He and I spent two hours sitting side-by-side trying the two units and comparing them.

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 06:48:44 AM »

Agree.

During Christmas season I asked Alexa to play a particular album.  "Shuffle album Christmastime in New Orleans by the NOLA Players."  NOLA Players is the name of the artist.  Didn't play that.  Tried again.  Same error.  Then I tried, "Shuffle album Christmastime in New Orleans by the New Orleans Players."  Played the correct album.  But Alexa's voice confirmation was, "Christmastime in New Orleans by the NOLA Players." 

My memory is short.  Few weeks ago made a music request or something.  Was something short and simple.  Wasn't getting what I wanted.  OK, I'll try spelling it.  She understood that. ??? ??? ???

Alexa is still a work in progress.  I like Alexa, but needs a lot of progress.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 06:59:03 AM »
The way the skills work, which is indeed cumbersome, is a separate issue from basic commands not working.  I get frustrated with both, but I have done less fiddling with the skills than I have with the basic commands.  When a basic command (like "Play xxx by xxx") doesn't work, I send feedback using the card on the home page.  They need to know when things that should work don't work.

Indeed a work in progress!

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 06:04:20 AM »
A request I often have a problem with lately -- "Tune-In WGN radio."  I often get WGMD.  I usually have to repeat request distinctly a number of times before I get the correct radio station.

Online NanD

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 08:05:24 AM »
I haven't  had a problem with albums or play lists yet, but I have only requested play & not shuffle.

She will sing Happy Birthday, if requested, but not personalized with a name

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 09:33:25 AM »
Some times I ask once or twice and then give up and use the app to get her to play something specific.  But most of the time I can get an album or playlist to play correctly.
I do have a problem with the playlist that I have called "Good Morning."  Apparently there is now an Amazon playlist called "Good Morning - Tweens" and she insists on playing that list rather than the one in my library unless I specify "Alexa, play MY playlist Good Morning."  I guess I could change the name of my playlist,  but that would be just as hard to remember :)

Offline sjc

• (Member 153)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 01:47:22 PM »
I also have found that some basic commands are not followed or understood. I have taken Betsy's advice and forwarded feedback via cards. Let's hope it helps to have many follow suit...

Agree...work in progress.

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 02:10:12 PM »
Good, sjc!  They can't fix problems they don't know about.  Let us know if they get back to you.

Betsy

Online Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 03:17:32 PM »
Alexa is very strict. Sometimes she doesn't listen even if I give a verbatim command.

I did have a problem with one album. Seems Amazon has just one song from it on prime and I own the full album. When I checked to make sure I had the exact title, I saw the two. Now I make sure I ask for the complete title of mine.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 03:28:02 PM »
I get into little fights with her from time to time. Certain things are just hard to get her to understand and they are usually something not english. German radio stations are a fun one. And one of my favorite songs by Cat Stevens, Lady d'Arbanville. Saying it the way it is suppose to be said doesn't work, I have to try to say it in the weird way Alexa wants to hear/say it. I have yet to get it right on first try.  :P

Or asking the weather nearest where my family lives in Bavaria. That's fun too.  ;D. I can end up taking the easy way with Munich, but that would be boring, wouldn't it.

I been having a ball lately since my husband brought home 2 wemo plugs. One living room lamp and one bedroom lamp. We also now have a dot upstairs that is connected to a nice speaker we could never use that was attached to the 2nd TV. It could not be used as the TV didn't have a hole to plug the speaker cable in. Since the dot does have the 3.5mm hole, its perfect now.

So now we lay in bed and make funnies with dottie. Last night he played some suppose fall asleep sounds. Suddenly there was loud craw craaaaaaaaaaaww, some crazy bird which startled me out of sleep. Yikes.

I wish there was a timer thing for sleep sounds. Or music. So I could have it just play for 30 minutes or an hour and it would stop by itself. Why don't we have that. I can't leave something on or it would stream all night.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Online readingril

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 04:13:33 PM »
Aren't they just audio files that you can say "Alexa set a sleep timer for 45 minutes" or, "Alexa, stop playing in 45 minutes", or are they playing from a skill?

I've been (re) listening to an Audible book in 15 minute increments (the above works with Audible too) when I go to sleep. I probably fall asleep after five minutes. :D I'd hate to tell a favorite author she puts me to sleep every night!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 04:23:16 PM by readingril »

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 05:13:54 PM »
I wish there was a timer thing for sleep sounds. Or music. So I could have it just play for 30 minutes or an hour and it would stop by itself. Why don't we have that. I can't leave something on or it would stream all night.

As readingril says, you should be able to say Set a sleep timer: "Alexa set a sleep timer for 45 minutes" or, "Alexa, stop playing in 45 minutes."

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/the-complete-list-of-alexa-commands/

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2017, 05:42:33 PM »
As readingril says, you should be able to say Set a sleep timer: "Alexa set a sleep timer for 45 minutes" or, "Alexa, stop playing in 45 minutes."

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/the-complete-list-of-alexa-commands/
Hmm, not sure how that is done. Say I ask it to play this and that. A station, a playlist, a radio station via tunein or iheart. I tried  asking it to play this station for 30 minutes, no go. Tried asking it to play such and such station or play list for 30 minutes. No go. So do I first get it to play what I want and then ask her again? Pretty sure I tried that too. All I get is the usual. Sorry, I don't know what you mean, or whatever she says.

Let me check that site and see whats there.

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2017, 05:46:53 PM »
Hmm, not sure how that is done. Say I ask it to play this and that. A station, a playlist, a radio station via tunein or iheart. I tried  asking it to play this station for 30 minutes, no go. Tried asking it to play such and such station or play list for 30 minutes. No go. So do I first get it to play what I want and then ask her again? Pretty sure I tried that too. All I get is the usual. Sorry, I don't know what you mean, or whatever she says.

Let me check that site and see whats there.

Ok, I just tried it... 

I said, Alexa, play Bruce Springsteen. She started playing.  Then, I said, Alexa, stop playing in one minute. She said OK, I'll stop playing in one minute. And then she stopped.  I haven't tried it with a playlist or station yet.

Trying a station now...  EDIT:  Alexa, play Willie Nelson station.. She starts playing.  Alexa, stop playing in one minute. She said OK, I'll stop playing in one minute. And then she stopped.

Hope you can get it to work, Atunah!

Betsy
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 05:51:54 PM by Betsy the Quilter »

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2017, 05:50:30 PM »
Thanks. I'll try it out later in bed. We must not have said just the right thing.

Just do not ask her to sing, is horrible.

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2017, 05:51:14 PM »
Thanks. I'll try it out later in bed. We must not have said just the right thing.

Just do not ask her to sing, is horrible.

:o

Now you know we'll have to try that!

EDIT:  ROFL
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 05:53:31 PM by Betsy the Quilter »

Online readingril

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2017, 05:54:07 PM »
Start your content playing, then use either of those phrases to set your sleep timer. :)

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2017, 06:07:00 PM »
Ok, I just tried it... 

I said, Alexa, play Bruce Springsteen. She started playing.  Then, I said, Alexa, stop playing in one minute. She said OK, I'll stop playing in one minute. And then she stopped.  I haven't tried it with a playlist or station yet.

Trying a station now...  EDIT:  Alexa, play Willie Nelson station.. She starts playing.  Alexa, stop playing in one minute. She said OK, I'll stop playing in one minute. And then she stopped.

Hope you can get it to work, Atunah!

Betsy

That's good to know. I like to play music at night, but too often I doze off.

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2017, 06:09:28 PM »
That's good to know. I like to play music at night, but too often I doze off.

Yeah, I didn't know one could do this!

Betsy

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2017, 05:58:26 AM »
Or say, "Alexa, set sleep timer for one hour."  She confirms that and will stop playing music, radio, whatever in one hour.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2017, 07:16:52 AM »
Ok, thanks everyone. It worked. We slept so well with the sounds that we overslept a bit.  :-X

Online The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2017, 09:38:24 AM »
I tried this, and found that Alexa just stopped when I told her "stop playing in one minute." I think she hears "stop" and just stops. But "set sleep timer for one minute" worked perfectly.

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2017, 09:42:12 AM »
I told her to stop playing in 30 minutes. She said ok and I assume she stopped playing 30 minutes later as we drifted off into far lands before noticing. But she did not just stop playing. She might have only heard the words stop play and ignored everything after that. She is good at ignoring when she gets into one of her snits.  ;D

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2017, 10:06:55 AM »
I told her to stop playing in 30 minutes. She said ok and I assume she stopped playing 30 minutes later as we drifted off into far lands before noticing. But she did not just stop playing. She might have only heard the words stop play and ignored everything after that. She is good at ignoring when she gets into one of her snits.  ;D

Yes, she can be quite temperamental . Sometimes I tell her to shut up . Other times I want to say thank you but she never says you're welcome.

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2017, 10:57:15 AM »
Yes, she can be quite temperamental . Sometimes I tell her to shut up . Other times I want to say thank you but she never says you're welcome.

If you remember to say 'Alexa' before you say 'thank you', she will respond.
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2017, 12:57:24 PM »
If you remember to say 'Alexa' before you say 'thank you', she will respond.

Aw and here I  thought she was being rude.

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2017, 01:57:22 PM »
I tried this, and found that Alexa just stopped when I told her "stop playing in one minute." I think she hears "stop" and just stops. But "set sleep timer for one minute" worked perfectly.

Hmmm....just tried it again.  Works great for me, I said Alexa, stop playing in one minute and she said "Okay, I'll stop playing in one minute."

Maybe you need to run your words together more.  :D. Or talk more quickly, like someone from New York.
 :D

Betsy

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Countdown to Doctor Who -- April 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2017, 03:11:23 PM »
Hmmm....just tried it again.  Works great for me, I said Alexa, stop playing in one minute and she said "Okay, I'll stop playing in one minute."

Maybe you need to run your words together more.  :D. Or talk more quickly, like someone from New York.
 :D

Betsy

Alexa could have an issue with accents . . . and I'm guessing, Atunah, even though you've been here a long time, that you might have one.

There's an episode of The Big Bang Theory where one of the characters, Barry, who can't pronounce the "r" sound, basically rants about how horrible Siri (on an iPhone) is; he keeps saying, "Siwi, can you wecommend a westauwant." She responds, "I'm sorry, Bawwy, I don't understand "wecommend a westauwant".

So, that's extreme, and played for laughs, of course, but I suspect that there are limits to how far off "Hollywood American" your speech is that might make it harder for the voice recognition to work.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2017, 03:20:46 PM »
Maybe Claw has an accent, she hears me just fine now that I know what to say for the sleep timer.  :P

My husband actually has more issues at times than I do with her. I really only have issues when I try to get something played that isn't normal english, or has an accent of sort. And my husband keeps asking in way to causal ways. You know, not very specific, like he's talking to Hal or something. We aren't there yet, one does have to kind of narrow it down for her.

I think most of the time the issue is the side speaker that stands about 2 feet from her. The one for the surround system. It gets in the way at times.

I am convinced though she went into a snit when I brought home the dot. Its like she gave us the cold shoulder. Light would come on and then just the dudu sound and off again. Then we would ask her if she was ok, she said she was fine. Then she did it again for the next question.  ;D

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2017, 07:46:47 PM »
Alexa could have an issue with accents . . . and I'm guessing, Atunah, even though you've been here a long time, that you might have one.

Claw was the one having problems--Atunah seems to be doing fine!

EDIT:  There's a restaurant in Occoquan called the "Cock and Bowl" (they specialize in chicken dishes and bowls of mussels).  I asked Siri for directions and she must have thought I said Cock and balls because she said "that's not very nice!" LOL.

Betsy
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 07:49:37 PM by Betsy the Quilter »

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2017, 04:09:18 AM »
I said, " Alexa, thank you . ( I'm dictating this and she just responded "I can't find the answer to the question," which showed up on the screen.)

Anyway, in response to my thank you, she said , " sure, nice talking to you."

She does make me laugh.

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2017, 05:12:15 AM »
I just tried Thank you a few times:
"My pleasure"
"No problem. I'm happy to help."
"Sure, nice chatting with you."

Betsy

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2017, 06:04:27 AM »
When I request my playlist Treme [tre-MAY] (music from HBO series), Alexa replies "playlist Treme [treem]".

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2017, 10:13:38 AM »
When I request my playlist Treme [tre-MAY] (music from HBO series), Alexa replies "playlist Treme [treem]".

She does have a problem with pronunciation. When I request Godspell, she calls it Gahpell.

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2017, 05:38:28 AM »
Far as I'm concerned Echos need resetting by pulling plug too often.  It should not happen.  Late last night I had to reset when she didn't recognize artist name Johnny Mathis in a request for music.  Not many hours later same Echo didn't respond at all to simply wake name.  I wondered if a previously set alarm would sound.  It did, but I couldn't stop it by voice.  I reset which, of course stopped it.  When I plugged it it,  the alarm then continued.  Stopped it by voice.

Short time later I requested, "Echo, shuffle album 'The Things We Are Made Of' by Mary Chapin Carpenter."  Did not recognize it.  First time I tried got response "You might like . . . ."  Tried again.  Got the bloop sound.  In other words -- nothing.  Reset by plug.  Tried again.  She recognized it and played.

I call or e-mail Echo support.  Never really gets any better.  Sometimes I think Amazon and Google were in a race to get these things out in the market.  Amazon went first before it was really ready.  It needs work.  A lot of work.

Offline mpeg2

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2017, 05:49:32 AM »
How is your wifi reliability/connectivity? I've got 2 dots & 1 echo - and have only needed to pull the plug for a reset maybe once in 6 months...

Rich

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2017, 06:10:02 AM »
I have never unplugged my Echo. It never needed it. I have had mine since whenever they came up for prime members as beta. I ordered Dec 2014, but don't remember when it shipped. Its been in the same place since and I never had to reset it. I got the red ring a couple of times, but that was a router issue.
Now she might not always hear me, but I call that selective hearing  ;D

We'll see how my xmas added dot fares. so far same thing and it is upstairs away from the router.

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2017, 06:31:43 AM »
Sometimes Dot doesn't understand what I'm asking. The solution for me is to ask again a minute later. She certainly knows Johnny Mathis because she plays him for me.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2017, 07:33:55 AM »
We rarely have to reset ours either.  I have to reset my smart plugs every few weeks, but the Echos and Dots are pretty solid.
Sandpiper I am sorry that yours are so contrary.

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2017, 08:17:31 AM »
How is your wifi reliability/connectivity? I've got 2 dots & 1 echo - and have only needed to pull the plug for a reset maybe once in 6 months...

Rich

Fine.  No problems with anything else. 

I'm not techie.  There's only me in this one bedroom condo.  Two Echos -- one in living room and one in bedroom.  I have old Fire tablet -- no problems with it.  I have a TiVo hooked up to TV.  I stream using Fire TV and Apple TV.  No problems.  ISP is AT&T U-verse 18 mbps.  Three Kindles (really use only one).  Computer is a newish MacBook Pro.  I think that's everything.

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2017, 08:36:22 AM »
Sometimes Dot doesn't understand what I'm asking. The solution for me is to ask again a minute later. She certainly knows Johnny Mathis because she plays him for me.

Right after I posted this, Alexa shut down on me. She is such a prissy-missy sometimes. Anyway, the plug connecting to the Dot was loose. No idea how that happened.

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2017, 01:29:07 PM »
Now what has happened to photo in my signature??  I am seeing question mark in a little blue box.

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2017, 02:00:00 PM »
I don't even see the question mark.

Online The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2017, 05:56:25 PM »
Sandpiper, I see the picture of the Beagle now!

I believe one time I had a glitch with my Echo and pulled the plug briefly for a fix. Certainly not a common problem. Thankfully!

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2017, 06:51:57 AM »
I'm about ready to give up on Alexa in my bedroom.  I keep having to reset / pull plug on it. 

I want her to play / do something.  I sometimes have to repeatedly ask and ask and ask before she gets it right.  After a while it's easier to reset and ask.  Then she understands.  Had to last night to get her to play Tune-In station I wanted and set the sleep timer.  Woke up early.  "Alexa, what time is it?"  NO response.  Get up and reset.  Started playing a Tune-In station.  Fell asleep again.  Woke up 1.5 - 2 hours later.  Tune-In station is still playing.  Good.  "Alexa, what time is it?"  NO response.  So I can't even tell her to STOP.  Pulled the plug and left it. 

I'm not techie.  I'm in an average size one bedroom condo -- in other words not big.  There is a wall between my bedroom Echo and computer and network stuff in the living room.  My older Fire tablet and MacBook Pro work fine in the bedroom.  What is going on?

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2017, 06:55:53 AM »
My daughter has the same problem with the one in her kitchen. I wonder if it's a defect in the device itself and maybe I should return it.

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2017, 07:20:25 AM »
I have two Echos -- Echo in the living room and Alexa in the bedroom.  Don't seem to have problems with living room Echo.  One of them is already a replacement.  A replacement when I had just one Echo in the living room -- not a replacement of a bedroom Echo.  Not quite sure myself which of my current two is the replacement.  I'm sure Amazon knows.

Will be calling Amazon Echo customer service today.  With all these problems will refuse to talk to anyone whose first language is not English.  Sorry.

Offline mpeg2

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2017, 07:58:03 AM »
Simple test - swap the devices. See if the problem moves with the device (suggesting a defective device) - or stays with the room (suggesting something else - maybe network).

Rich

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2017, 08:25:36 AM »
I changed the wake up name on my Echo from "Alexa" to "Computer" and half the time it just ignored me - I would have to call out "Computer" several times before it woke up.

I changed it back to "Alexa" and now it responds first time, pretty much every time I try. Why there should be such a difference I've no idea, but at least it was an easy fix.
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2017, 09:10:59 AM »
GRRRRRRR.  I typed a bunch.  Hit preview.  It all disappeared.   >:(

In the past I'd thought of trying the switching thing.  Didn't.  Don't know why. 

I called Amazon Echo CS.  Surprised Steven didn't maybe suggest switching.  (Bedroom Echo is the replacement.)  It was quick with him.  Told him all the resetting / plug stuff re late last night and early this morning.  Also problems with Alexa understanding me.  I'm getting a new one.  He's putting a gift card in my account for the price of a new Echo with expedited shipping.  :)  Steven is going to call me in an hour and we will do it. 

I'm not techie.  Sometimes I think of various things that might be a/effecting it.  But then why does it work sometimes and then not?  ???

I sure hope this coming new Echo works.  I do like them in general, but the bedroom has gotten to be ridiculous -- this morning.  Maybe Amazon is working hard to keep customers happy due to competition with Google Home?

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2017, 09:26:53 AM »
I'm in an older condo building -- 45 - 50 years old.  Not as many 'lectric outlets as in newer buildings.  My two Echos are both plugged into strips.  Same strips - one in each room.  Nothing else high tech plugged into either strip.  My cordless phone is plugged into an outlet / not strip in the bedroom. Could that??  Would seem tech-related problems could be endless.  I don't know?

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2017, 10:37:22 AM »
Steven called.  My new white Echo will be delivered Sunday.  Two nights without?  :(

I really hope it works -- well. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 01:17:48 PM by Sandpiper »

Offline barryem

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2017, 06:25:44 PM »
I think the thing with Alexa and Siri and Okay Google isn't that it's limited, it's that it's amazing how much it actually can do.  This is incredible technology.

I retired as a systems programmer about 25 years ago.  Systems programmers do very technical programming, drivers, etc.  I'd always done a lot of hobby programming as well and my plan was to read about artificial intelligence and start writing stuff for the fun of it.  I did quite a bit of reading on the topic, which was far more primitive in those days, and soon found myself trying to understand things that were way over my head.  It was fascinating stuff but I just didn't have the kind of skills that were needed for it, although I had thought I would.

Anyway, in the process I learned a bit about what AI could do in those days.  Echo and Siri and Cortana and so on are like magic compared to the stuff they had 25 years ago.  And my guess is that in 25 years this will all seem just as primitive.  But for now it's really amazing stuff.

About 15 or so years before I retired, i don't recall the year, I wrote a text to speech driver for a new speech synthesizer chip from Hitachi.  That chip could take phonemes and speak them aloud.  My driver had to convert small bits of text, ticker symbols and prices and a few assorted words, into phonemes.  I was also totally unqualified for that but so was everyone else and I managed to get it done.  This had nothing to do with AI of course.  The result was good enough that the guy I wrote it for ended up selling it to the New York Stock Exchange.  It wasn't easy to understand but it was possible to understand it.

Since then I've made it a point to look into the current state of speech synthesis about every year or two.  It's amazing how much it keeps improving.

Alexa and it's brothers and sisters are truly state of the art.  They are amazing technology.  And yet we complain about what they can't do.  And that's exactly why they'll get better. :)

I bought one of the very first Echos by invitation.  I don't have the slightest use for it.  I get the temperature from it, use it for music, show it off to my neighbors, etc.  Really I have other and better ways of doing all those things.  It was a complete waste of money for me.  But I'm so glad I have it. :)

Barry

Offline DawnB

• California, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2017, 09:51:57 PM »
Sandpiper if you still have problems with the echo in your bedroom after you get your replacement I suggest testing the wifi signal in that room, I was having the same issues as you until I got a wifi extender for my bedroom, no issues since then (I live in a small apartment so I didn't think the wifi could be an issue but the comcast tech said even 1 wall in between could cause wifi issues in some buildings)

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2017, 10:20:07 PM »
Sandpiper if you still have problems with the echo in your bedroom after you get your replacement I suggest testing the wifi signal in that room, I was having the same issues as you until I got a wifi extender for my bedroom, no issues since then (I live in a small apartment so I didn't think the wifi could be an issue but the comcast tech said even 1 wall in between could cause wifi issues in some buildings)

Any chance you could give me a link to one you'd recommend on Amazon?  A think it's gotta be plugged in?  Looks like I'll need a longer strip.  All the wall warts make things more difficult.  As I said I have limited actual outlets. 

Offline DawnB

• California, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2017, 02:55:19 AM »
I bought https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R92CLD6 (Nighthawk AC1900) because its one the the few that can be plugged into a power strip. Most wifi extenders have to be plugged into a wall socket directly which like you I couldn't do due to limited outlets.

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2017, 04:07:56 PM »
My white Echo was delivered a little while ago.  :)  Setting up an Echo for the fourth time.  Happy to have one in the bedroom again.  (Although I do also have a Bose Wave Music System in both the living room and bedroom.  ???)

I'm guessing Steven who I talked to at Amazon is new.  He did not ask me to do any testing, etc. on my old black bedroom Echo.  Offered almost immediately to replace it by gift card / refunding items recently purchased.  I don't think that's the norm.

So now I have four Echos.  (Or three?  Don't remember if I kept second Echo or Amazon asked me to send it back.  If I have it, it's stuck in my condo storage closet.)  It's not that this last black bedroom Echo totally doesn't work.  I guess I don't know where else I'd put it.  Should I deregister it or try it some place?  Would Amazon "catch" that I would be using an Echo which they replaced?  As I said, I never claimed that it did not work at all -- just that it didn't work well. 

ETA:  I couldn't connect new white Echo to my wifi unless I deregistered the old black.  So two at a time for me.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 05:50:00 AM by Sandpiper »

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2017, 06:43:21 AM »
I've had an Echo for app. 2 years.  I don't remember Echo not changing time from Standard to DST on its own before??!!  There's no DST in Settings > Device time zones.  I manually had to change it from Central Standard to Eastern Standard. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 06:57:14 AM by Sandpiper »

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2017, 06:49:52 AM »
I've had an Echo for app. 2 years.  I don't remember Echo not changing time from Standard to DST on its own before??!!  There's no DST in Settings > Device time zones.  I manually had to change it from Central Standard to Eastern Standard.

I have two in my house. GS's Dot changed over automatically. Mine hasn't. Maybe it's one of those rolling updates. GS's is on his own account.

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2017, 06:55:42 AM »
I have two in my house. GS's Dot changed over automatically. Mine hasn't. Maybe it's one of those rolling updates. GS's is on his own account.

I called Amazon.  My Settings > Device time zone was still set to America as opposed to US.  That makes a difference.

ETA: "America" setting is for places that don't change to DST.  "US" setting is for most of country which does change.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 07:42:18 AM by Sandpiper »

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2017, 09:04:56 AM »
I called Amazon.  My Settings > Device time zone was still set to America as opposed to US.  That makes a difference.

ETA: "America" setting is for places that don't change to DST.  "US" setting is for most of country which does change.

Thanks. I'll try that right now.

Just opened Alexa and got this message.

"We are experiencing issues with daylight saving transition. This is affecting customers in the EDT and CDT time zones. We are working to address the problem."

But, changing it to US and resetting the time zone to EST worked.

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2017, 11:27:54 AM »
Sleep timer works for any music, etc. from Echo.  (Probably not bluetoothed through Echo.)  I use it pretty much every night.  Be a little careful if you use the word "stop" in your request.  She may just STOP what she's doing at the moment. 

Also if you say "sleep timer" be careful that she doesn't hear only TIMER.  That happened to me once.  I didn't pay attention to her confirming what I requested.  Timer went off later and woke me up.  >:(

Whatever you say, listen for her confirmation on what to do.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 11:29:41 AM by Sandpiper »

Online Mike D. AKA jmiked

• Texas
  • Reading ebooks since 1994!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2017, 07:06:00 AM »

Thanks. That info will come in handy if Texas goes off DST permanently. There are several bills in the state legislature that propose to do exactly that.

Mike
What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2017, 12:48:39 PM »
I didn't think to check the Echoes to see if the time changed correctly - guess that's on my list of stuff to do tonight.

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2017, 02:21:14 PM »
Before I even open my eyes in the morning, I very groggily ask Alexa what time it is. That's how I knew the clock hadn't changed to DST.

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2017, 02:53:09 PM »
I said good morning to mine on Saturday.  She cheerily said good morning and reminded me to change my clocks but assured me I wouldn't have to change her!

Betsy

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2017, 05:00:49 AM »
I have had Pandora Premium for a number of years.  Like it and it works well via Echo.  Now I am also thinking of Spotify Premium.  Regular Spotify (with ads) doesn't work with Echo.  I have Amazon Music Unlimited.  Not impressed with it or the app.  To me the app is not done well at all.  Any opinions on Spotify through Echo?