Author Topic: Echo - general  (Read 8263 times)  

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
  • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
    • View Profile
Re: Echo - general
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2017, 06:51:57 AM »
I'm about ready to give up on Alexa in my bedroom.  I keep having to reset / pull plug on it. 

I want her to play / do something.  I sometimes have to repeatedly ask and ask and ask before she gets it right.  After a while it's easier to reset and ask.  Then she understands.  Had to last night to get her to play Tune-In station I wanted and set the sleep timer.  Woke up early.  "Alexa, what time is it?"  NO response.  Get up and reset.  Started playing a Tune-In station.  Fell asleep again.  Woke up 1.5 - 2 hours later.  Tune-In station is still playing.  Good.  "Alexa, what time is it?"  NO response.  So I can't even tell her to STOP.  Pulled the plug and left it. 

I'm not techie.  I'm in an average size one bedroom condo -- in other words not big.  There is a wall between my bedroom Echo and computer and network stuff in the living room.  My older Fire tablet and MacBook Pro work fine in the bedroom.  What is going on?

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

Offline Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2017, 06:55:53 AM »
My daughter has the same problem with the one in her kitchen. I wonder if it's a defect in the device itself and maybe I should return it.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2017, 07:20:25 AM »
I have two Echos -- Echo in the living room and Alexa in the bedroom.  Don't seem to have problems with living room Echo.  One of them is already a replacement.  A replacement when I had just one Echo in the living room -- not a replacement of a bedroom Echo.  Not quite sure myself which of my current two is the replacement.  I'm sure Amazon knows.

Will be calling Amazon Echo customer service today.  With all these problems will refuse to talk to anyone whose first language is not English.  Sorry.

Online mpeg2

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2017, 07:58:03 AM »
Simple test - swap the devices. See if the problem moves with the device (suggesting a defective device) - or stays with the room (suggesting something else - maybe network).

Rich

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2017, 08:25:36 AM »
I changed the wake up name on my Echo from "Alexa" to "Computer" and half the time it just ignored me - I would have to call out "Computer" several times before it woke up.

I changed it back to "Alexa" and now it responds first time, pretty much every time I try. Why there should be such a difference I've no idea, but at least it was an easy fix.
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2017, 09:10:59 AM »
GRRRRRRR.  I typed a bunch.  Hit preview.  It all disappeared.   >:(

In the past I'd thought of trying the switching thing.  Didn't.  Don't know why. 

I called Amazon Echo CS.  Surprised Steven didn't maybe suggest switching.  (Bedroom Echo is the replacement.)  It was quick with him.  Told him all the resetting / plug stuff re late last night and early this morning.  Also problems with Alexa understanding me.  I'm getting a new one.  He's putting a gift card in my account for the price of a new Echo with expedited shipping.  :)  Steven is going to call me in an hour and we will do it. 

I'm not techie.  Sometimes I think of various things that might be a/effecting it.  But then why does it work sometimes and then not?  ???

I sure hope this coming new Echo works.  I do like them in general, but the bedroom has gotten to be ridiculous -- this morning.  Maybe Amazon is working hard to keep customers happy due to competition with Google Home?

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2017, 09:26:53 AM »
I'm in an older condo building -- 45 - 50 years old.  Not as many 'lectric outlets as in newer buildings.  My two Echos are both plugged into strips.  Same strips - one in each room.  Nothing else high tech plugged into either strip.  My cordless phone is plugged into an outlet / not strip in the bedroom. Could that??  Would seem tech-related problems could be endless.  I don't know?

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2017, 10:37:22 AM »
Steven called.  My new white Echo will be delivered Sunday.  Two nights without?  :(

I really hope it works -- well. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 01:17:48 PM by Sandpiper »

Offline barryem

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2017, 06:25:44 PM »
I think the thing with Alexa and Siri and Okay Google isn't that it's limited, it's that it's amazing how much it actually can do.  This is incredible technology.

I retired as a systems programmer about 25 years ago.  Systems programmers do very technical programming, drivers, etc.  I'd always done a lot of hobby programming as well and my plan was to read about artificial intelligence and start writing stuff for the fun of it.  I did quite a bit of reading on the topic, which was far more primitive in those days, and soon found myself trying to understand things that were way over my head.  It was fascinating stuff but I just didn't have the kind of skills that were needed for it, although I had thought I would.

Anyway, in the process I learned a bit about what AI could do in those days.  Echo and Siri and Cortana and so on are like magic compared to the stuff they had 25 years ago.  And my guess is that in 25 years this will all seem just as primitive.  But for now it's really amazing stuff.

About 15 or so years before I retired, i don't recall the year, I wrote a text to speech driver for a new speech synthesizer chip from Hitachi.  That chip could take phonemes and speak them aloud.  My driver had to convert small bits of text, ticker symbols and prices and a few assorted words, into phonemes.  I was also totally unqualified for that but so was everyone else and I managed to get it done.  This had nothing to do with AI of course.  The result was good enough that the guy I wrote it for ended up selling it to the New York Stock Exchange.  It wasn't easy to understand but it was possible to understand it.

Since then I've made it a point to look into the current state of speech synthesis about every year or two.  It's amazing how much it keeps improving.

Alexa and it's brothers and sisters are truly state of the art.  They are amazing technology.  And yet we complain about what they can't do.  And that's exactly why they'll get better. :)

I bought one of the very first Echos by invitation.  I don't have the slightest use for it.  I get the temperature from it, use it for music, show it off to my neighbors, etc.  Really I have other and better ways of doing all those things.  It was a complete waste of money for me.  But I'm so glad I have it. :)

Barry

Offline DawnB

• California, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2017, 09:51:57 PM »
Sandpiper if you still have problems with the echo in your bedroom after you get your replacement I suggest testing the wifi signal in that room, I was having the same issues as you until I got a wifi extender for my bedroom, no issues since then (I live in a small apartment so I didn't think the wifi could be an issue but the comcast tech said even 1 wall in between could cause wifi issues in some buildings)

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2017, 10:20:07 PM »
Sandpiper if you still have problems with the echo in your bedroom after you get your replacement I suggest testing the wifi signal in that room, I was having the same issues as you until I got a wifi extender for my bedroom, no issues since then (I live in a small apartment so I didn't think the wifi could be an issue but the comcast tech said even 1 wall in between could cause wifi issues in some buildings)

Any chance you could give me a link to one you'd recommend on Amazon?  A think it's gotta be plugged in?  Looks like I'll need a longer strip.  All the wall warts make things more difficult.  As I said I have limited actual outlets. 

Offline DawnB

• California, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2017, 02:55:19 AM »
I bought https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R92CLD6 (Nighthawk AC1900) because its one the the few that can be plugged into a power strip. Most wifi extenders have to be plugged into a wall socket directly which like you I couldn't do due to limited outlets.

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2017, 04:07:56 PM »
My white Echo was delivered a little while ago.  :)  Setting up an Echo for the fourth time.  Happy to have one in the bedroom again.  (Although I do also have a Bose Wave Music System in both the living room and bedroom.  ???)

I'm guessing Steven who I talked to at Amazon is new.  He did not ask me to do any testing, etc. on my old black bedroom Echo.  Offered almost immediately to replace it by gift card / refunding items recently purchased.  I don't think that's the norm.

So now I have four Echos.  (Or three?  Don't remember if I kept second Echo or Amazon asked me to send it back.  If I have it, it's stuck in my condo storage closet.)  It's not that this last black bedroom Echo totally doesn't work.  I guess I don't know where else I'd put it.  Should I deregister it or try it some place?  Would Amazon "catch" that I would be using an Echo which they replaced?  As I said, I never claimed that it did not work at all -- just that it didn't work well. 

ETA:  I couldn't connect new white Echo to my wifi unless I deregistered the old black.  So two at a time for me.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 05:50:00 AM by Sandpiper »

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2017, 06:43:21 AM »
I've had an Echo for app. 2 years.  I don't remember Echo not changing time from Standard to DST on its own before??!!  There's no DST in Settings > Device time zones.  I manually had to change it from Central Standard to Eastern Standard. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 06:57:14 AM by Sandpiper »

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2017, 06:49:52 AM »
I've had an Echo for app. 2 years.  I don't remember Echo not changing time from Standard to DST on its own before??!!  There's no DST in Settings > Device time zones.  I manually had to change it from Central Standard to Eastern Standard.

I have two in my house. GS's Dot changed over automatically. Mine hasn't. Maybe it's one of those rolling updates. GS's is on his own account.

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2017, 06:55:42 AM »
I have two in my house. GS's Dot changed over automatically. Mine hasn't. Maybe it's one of those rolling updates. GS's is on his own account.

I called Amazon.  My Settings > Device time zone was still set to America as opposed to US.  That makes a difference.

ETA: "America" setting is for places that don't change to DST.  "US" setting is for most of country which does change.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 07:42:18 AM by Sandpiper »

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2017, 09:04:56 AM »
I called Amazon.  My Settings > Device time zone was still set to America as opposed to US.  That makes a difference.

ETA: "America" setting is for places that don't change to DST.  "US" setting is for most of country which does change.

Thanks. I'll try that right now.

Just opened Alexa and got this message.

"We are experiencing issues with daylight saving transition. This is affecting customers in the EDT and CDT time zones. We are working to address the problem."

But, changing it to US and resetting the time zone to EST worked.

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2017, 11:27:54 AM »
Sleep timer works for any music, etc. from Echo.  (Probably not bluetoothed through Echo.)  I use it pretty much every night.  Be a little careful if you use the word "stop" in your request.  She may just STOP what she's doing at the moment. 

Also if you say "sleep timer" be careful that she doesn't hear only TIMER.  That happened to me once.  I didn't pay attention to her confirming what I requested.  Timer went off later and woke me up.  >:(

Whatever you say, listen for her confirmation on what to do.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 11:29:41 AM by Sandpiper »

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Central Texas
  • Reading ebooks since 1994!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2017, 07:06:00 AM »

Thanks. That info will come in handy if Texas goes off DST permanently. There are several bills in the state legislature that propose to do exactly that.

Mike
What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2017, 12:48:39 PM »
I didn't think to check the Echoes to see if the time changed correctly - guess that's on my list of stuff to do tonight.

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2017, 02:21:14 PM »
Before I even open my eyes in the morning, I very groggily ask Alexa what time it is. That's how I knew the clock hadn't changed to DST.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2017, 02:53:09 PM »
I said good morning to mine on Saturday.  She cheerily said good morning and reminded me to change my clocks but assured me I wouldn't have to change her!

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2017, 05:00:49 AM »
I have had Pandora Premium for a number of years.  Like it and it works well via Echo.  Now I am also thinking of Spotify Premium.  Regular Spotify (with ads) doesn't work with Echo.  I have Amazon Music Unlimited.  Not impressed with it or the app.  To me the app is not done well at all.  Any opinions on Spotify through Echo?

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2017, 09:17:26 PM »
In B&N today, heard music by artist 2Cellos.  Got home and wanted Echo to play their music.  She will play their music when request is for a particular album, but not request for "shuffle 2Cellos".  Echo hears "two Cellos" and doesn't recognize that. 

Online gdae23

• NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2017, 10:22:10 PM »
In B&N today, heard music by artist 2Cellos.  Got home and wanted Echo to play their music.  She will play their music when request is for a particular album, but not request for "shuffle 2Cellos".  Echo hears "two Cellos" and doesn't recognize that.

When I have this problem, I add the Amazon Music Unlimited album(s) to my music library. (Unless you actually choose to download the albums what you're really doing is simply bookmarking the albums when you click on the add button.)  Then when I want to hear it, I tell Alexa to play this music "from my music library". This has worked successfully, whether I'm asking to hear shuffle play, a specific album, or a specific artist. I also use this method when there's a performer with a common name and there are other performers with the same name that I'm not interested in hearing.  That way when I request shuffle play of that artist, Alexa will only play the music in my music library and not all the music under that name in Amazon Music Unlimited.

I have Amazon Music Unlimited.  Not impressed with it or the app.  To me the app is not done well at all.

I completely agree with you about the app. I decided to try Amazon as my first streaming experience because of the price. I chose their annual plan which was quite a bit cheaper than either Spotify or Apple Music.  I'm fine with the selection of music which seems to be the same as the other services.  However, I'm used to using iTunes with the music I own and next to that, the Amazon music app seems extremely rudimentary and not very user-friendly.  I'm not sure if I will stick with Amazon streaming or not in the future. If the price goes up I definitely will consider switching to one of the other services, mainly because of the poor quality of the app.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac