KB Featured
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Data recovery on a 5th gen Fire  (Read 422 times)  

Offline shipwreck1978

• View Profile
Data recovery on a 5th gen Fire
« on: December 27, 2016, 06:51:18 AM »
Greetings.  I have a 5th gen device and some data has been accidentally deleted off the tablet via the ES File Explorer app.  This does not put the data into trash or anything so recovery has been difficult.  I have been attempting to use my Linux machine to recover the data but have not had much luck.  One thing that is extremely annoying is that the Fire only attaches via MTP.  Is there a way to make this thing attach as a mass storage device?

I've recovered data off of similar devices with no issues, but they had always connected as mass storage and I think that is the problem.

Thanks.

Offline barryem

• View Profile
Re: Data recovery on a 5th gen Fire
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 07:36:19 AM »
You're pretty much stuck with MTP on a Fire tablet.  Even if there was a way to install a new file system that would greatly complicate your data recovery.

ES File Manager does, by default, put things into a trash can.  I'm not sure if only the Pro version does that so if you aren't using the Pro version it might not.  It's something to check for.  I think I remember it had the trash can before I started using the Pro version but I'm not sure.

My guess is that data recovery on an Android device will be unlikely.  If you can get anything back you're probably lucky.  I'm not sure what file system Android uses but I think it's managed more dynamically than something like a FAT file system or NtFS.  That's the usual case with flash memory, which was what Android was designed to use.

Probably the best thing to do is get what you can and devise a backup system for the future.

Barry