Author Topic: All Romance Ebooks Closing :(  (Read 28962 times)  

Offline SummerWynter

• View Profile
All Romance Ebooks Closing :(
« on: December 28, 2016, 11:04:08 AM »
Just got this

ALL ROMANCE EBOOKS, LLC
6252 Commercial Way #145, Weeki Wachee, FL 34613

To Whom It May Concern:

It is with great sadness I announce that we are winding down the operations of All Romance eBooks, LLC. For the first year since opening in 2006, we will be posting a loss. The financial forecast for 2017 isn't hopeful and we've accepted that there is not a viable path forward.
We are grateful for the opportunity to have worked with you. On midnight, December 31, our sites will go dark and your content will cease to be available for sale through our platforms. This includes any content you are having us distribute to Apple. If you wish to inactivate your content sooner, you can do so by logging into your publisher portal.

We will be unable to remit Q4 2016 commissions in full and are proposing a settlement of 10 cents on the dollar (USD) for payments received through 27 December 2016.

(REDACTED)

Sincerely,

Lori James

All Romance Ebooks, LLC

« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 11:11:28 AM by SummerWynter »

Offline HSh

• Homicide, She Typed
  • Manslaughter, She Inscribed
    • View Profile
Re: All Romance Ebooks Closing :(
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 11:05:58 AM »
I'm seriously WTFing right now.   :o :-[ :-X

But you probably weren't supposed to post this on a public forum, tbh.  You didn't include this part:

Please note: This message is intended for use by the person or entity to which it is addressed. Please do not disseminate, distribute or copy. If you have received this message by error, please notify us immediately and destroy the related message. Re-disclosure without appropriate consent is prohibited.

I don't even know what to make of this, though.  I was just invited to submit to their own publishing wing not that long ago!   :o

As for the proposed remittance...not good.  It sounds like if we don't agree we get nothing.  Kinda not cool, tbh.  I'd have liked some warning they were having issues, not just "take this or get nothing and we go bankrupt."   >:(

Basically say they owe me $1000.00; and they'd want to pay $100.00.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 11:09:51 AM by HSh »

Hollis Shiloh  | My blog | Amazon page

Offline SummerWynter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 11:10:09 AM »
I  know right? They just got done sending out emails about upcoming sales promotions too.

I feel completely blindsided :(

Offline Elizabeth Ann West

• Schenectady, NY
  • Our doubts are traitors...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 11:10:39 AM »
Seeing as they are offering 10 cents on the dollar, not really seeing them mounting much of a legal offense. Besides, it's spreading like wildfire.

I had only just started posting a book there, and I just logged in to deactivate just in CASE they get sold/stay open etc. I don't want my content included in any kind of deal.

Jane-of-all-trades, mistress to none!
Elizabeth Ann West | Read My Stories Free!

Offline SummerWynter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 11:12:22 AM »
Yea I guess I should do deactivate my stuff too. Totally didn't think about that.

Offline HSh

• Homicide, She Typed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 11:12:45 AM »
Frankly I'm not signing anything right now. 

Online Bards and Sages (Julie)

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
    • Bards and Sages Publishing
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 11:18:18 AM »
I'm seriously WTFing right now.   :o :-[ :-X

But you probably weren't supposed to post this on a public forum, tbh.  You didn't include this part:

Those disclosures have no legal weight and mean nothing. A contract requires agreement between both parties. The only real issue would be if the original contract to distribute included a non-disclosure clause. But tacking on a unilateral demand and pretending it holds legal weight? Nah.

This is just slimy. Seriously. Accept only 10% of what we owe you or get nothing because we will file bankruptcy? Heck, at only 10%, MAKE THEM FILE BANKRUPTCY.

Writer, Publisher, Game Designer, Resident Sith
Julie Ann Dawson | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | eFesitival of Words

Offline HSh

• Homicide, She Typed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 11:21:03 AM »
This was my second best channel after Amazon.  I find it really hard to believe they're suddenly not turning a profit.  Just...wow.   :(

Disappointed about possibly not being paid but also about future earnings from what I *had* considered an amazing sales channel with a very loyal customer base!   :( :( :(

Online Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 11:22:58 AM »
I'm not surprised they're winding down. If I have it right, they used to sell direct from their website yes? With KU the biggest game in town, no one buys from the little guys anymore.

Offline Lady Vine

• Eye right books. Eye like two reed. Bye my books.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 11:29:45 AM »
Wow, just wow! I must have had a sense about this, because a couple of months ago I removed all of my titles from this platform. Luckily, they have no money for me. Boy am I glad about that.

So not only did they give a handful of days' notice that they were closing down (and not to everyone, either. I didn't get an email), they're only going to pay authors 10% of the money they earned. Despicable.

Offline Gabriella West

• San Francisco, CA
  • LGBT fiction and memoir
    • View Profile
    • GabriellaWest.net
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 11:32:15 AM »
I am so shocked. Always had a funny feeling about them, which is why I didn't give them my bank details. And my earnings had tapered off there, so they only owe me 7 bucks for this quarter. I feel awful for the people who expected to be getting big royalty payments!

I copyedit, too, at Edit for Indies: http://editforindies.com|Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/gabriellawest|

Offline DmGuay

• OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016, 11:34:25 AM »
If they owe you money, you can always file a claim in the local small claims court. Yes, you'd probably have to go to Florida for a brief court appearance, yes, even if you win your judgment they might not pay. BUT a freelance photographer I know did this after a magazine we worked for closed, and she won AND got paid. So, it might be worth it.
Jesse Resurrected. Guardians of Salt Creek Book 2: 100%

Charity, Unchained: Guardians of Salt Creek historical novel: 10%

Jesse, Released: Guardians of Salt Creek book 3: 98%
D.M. Guay | Web site

Offline Rick Gualtieri

• NJ
  • Renaissance Geek
    • View Profile
    • RickGualtieri.com
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2016, 11:34:52 AM »
Sorry to see them go.  On the one hand, this is better than disappearing like thieves in the night.  On the other, $.10 on the dollar?!  Unless they owed me next to nothing, no way would I be signing away my life for that. 

Making fantasy fun again, one corpse at a time
Rick Gualtieri | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Bill The Vampire on Facebook | YouTube

Offline Lynn McNamee

• Carolinas
    • View Profile
    • Red Adept Publishing
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2016, 11:52:47 AM »
We don't have any books listed there. I did have a couple on there a long time ago, but I took them off the platform. I can't even remember why.

Anyway, I'm confused about the threat of bankruptcy.

As far as I know, they are a store that sells ebooks. That's it. They do not have to buy or house inventory, except for online storage. I'm sure they pay a monthly fee for their website, but that can't be very much money.

So where are all the expenses that would cause a bankruptcy or inability to pay commissions?

What am I missing here?

Offline Shawn Inmon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2016, 11:58:48 AM »
So where are all the expenses that would cause a bankruptcy or inability to pay commissions?

What am I missing here?

Salaries? Not a good answer, but a possible one.

Shawn Inmon | Website | Facebook

Offline RM Prioleau

• Fantasy Author
    • View Profile
    • R.M. Prioleau
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2016, 12:00:11 PM »
I listed two of my books there back in 2012, but I don't think I sold a single copy. I haven't received any email from them, but I do see the disclaimer at the top of their website. I'm going to try taking down my books as well. The site is going very slow right now, so I assume a lot of people are doing the same thing.

Offline RBN

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2016, 12:04:04 PM »
The site is going very slow right now, so I assume a lot of people are doing the same thing.

Customers are also using up their rebates and backing up their files so they don't lose all their books.

On the bright side, at least they didn't lie about their financial stability for years, letting authors give away thousands of books they will never see a penny from, as other crashers-and-burners have.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 12:16:00 PM by RBN »

Online Gentleman Zombie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2016, 12:04:56 PM »
It seems weird that they are shutting down. As far as I knew they sold pretty well in the Paranormal and M/M Romance. Unless sales significantly slowed down there. Does anyone know if their other outlet OMNILIT is closing down too?

Offline RBN

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2016, 12:11:19 PM »
Does anyone know if their other outlet OMNILIT is closing down too?

OmniLit has the same closure notice on the homepage.

Offline Rachel E. Rice

• View Profile
    • Rachel E. Rice Writes All
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2016, 12:13:21 PM »
I received the same letter. I checked and all my books are inactive. When vendors pay you every three months, and take a nice chunk out of your sales I guess they can retire early. 

Check for more books by Rachel E. Rice and R.E. Rice
Rachel E. Rice | blog | website

Offline RJ Crayton

• Hyattsville, MD
    • View Profile
    • RJ Crayton
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2016, 12:14:11 PM »
Sigh. I'm not able to log in at all to change anything or see what I'm owed. (I don't think it would be much, though) Their site is not responding.

Suspense with a touch of romance.
RJ Crayton | RJ Crayton | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Tumblr | Google+

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2016, 12:28:16 PM »
Got a letter too. Of course its the customer letter, which is a tad different. And again, this is why I will not buy anywhere else but Amazon. That goes for stores or from author directly. After the 31st, nobody has access to the books they purchased anymore. They are giving folks barely 4 days. If you on a trip now and not checking your emails and haven't backed up your books, they will be all gone. Poof.

Not the first store to close and not the first time customers lose all their access. I just don't have those worries when it comes to Amazon.

I feel bad for those that liked buying from them. Many non US based readers did that. And they had a nice rebate program.

I just think that they are not giving any time to anyone and that a crappy thing to do.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 12:33:18 PM by Atunah »

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline Anma Natsu

• Texas
    • View Profile
    • Anma Natsu
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2016, 12:42:31 PM »
Got the email just as I saw this thread.  Fortunately, any monies they owed me were already paid out and I've pulled my books (though the site is sluggish as heck due to everyone getting the email at the same time and presumably the site getting slammed).

I'd be seriously p*ssed about the 10 cents on a dollar part, especially those who were making good money.  Heck they don't owe me anything and I found it off-putting and disturbing.  I'm really hard-pressed to find an excuse for why they would offer such a settlement other than mismanagement of the funds.

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2016, 12:59:09 PM »
On the bright side, at least they didn't lie about their financial stability for years, letting authors give away thousands of books they will never see a penny from, as other crashers-and-burners have.

Some authors were under contract for ARe-pubbed titles, and the term that ARe seems to want there is that the authors will have rights reverted. Period. Contract fulfilled. Not even 10 cents on the dollar.
  (click to enbiggen)

Offline Dragovian

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2016, 01:04:33 PM »
Some authors were under contract for ARe-pubbed titles, and the term that ARe seems to want there is that the authors will have rights reverted. Period. Contract fulfilled. Not even 10 cents on the dollar.
They want to revert the rights and pay them NOTHING? That's low.