Author Topic: So, what are you reading in 2017?  (Read 6892 times)  

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
So, what are you reading in 2017?
« on: January 01, 2017, 05:00:08 AM »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
Re: So, what are you reading in 2017?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 05:14:00 AM »
I'll be starting the year off with the first 6 books of Sherrilyn Kenyon's Chronicles of Nick series.

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 10:33:43 AM »
A Broken Vessel: Julian Kestral #2 (Julian Kestrel) by Kate Ross. Set in Regency London with an unusual 'detective'. I do enjoy this particular series of historical mysteries but I have to keep waiting for them appear as a 'daily deal' or something similar because they're relatively expensive and never available on KOLL or KU.

As the Crow Flies (The DI Nick Dixon Crime Series Book 1) by Damien Boyd. Another new police procedural series I've started. Not bad, will probably read some more.

My Name is Markham: A Chronicles of St Mary's Short Story by Jodi Taylor. As it says, this is just a short story in this series but, as many of you will know, I'm a big fan of all things St Mary's. I listened to the audiobook of this as well as reading it - in fact can I recommend that any fans who might want to re-read this series do the same. The narrator, Zara Ramm, does a brilliant job of conveying Max's personality and especially the dry humour of the series. Having said that, this is the first book not to be told from Max's point of view and therefore has a different narrator, Piers Wehner. I was a little worried about that and there are a few differences in the accents etc that he gives some of the main characters but overall he's does a great job of bringing Markham to life. Another laugh out loud slice of life at St Mary's. (Guess who really burnt King Alfred's cakes?  ;D )

Conclave by Robert Harris. Another one I listened to, rather than read. I wasn't sure that a book set entirely during the conclave to elect a pope could hold my attention, but it was so fascinating, I just sped through it. And that was definitely an ending I didn't see coming!

« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 07:37:28 AM by Linjeakel »
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Offline JuliaShupe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 10:39:07 PM »
I'm way behind everyone!  Just started An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir!  Good stuff!!!  Moving right onto book 2 after this one! 

Julia Shupe | website

Offline L.T.Marshall

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 01:51:12 AM »
I'm slowly working my way through everyone of Lauren Laynes books, she's a romance writer with a lot of quirk and her books just make me smile. I've gotten through 9 so far with many more to go :) I have yet to pick my next one.
Author of The Carrero Effect
If you can't live it, write it!
L.T. Marshall | Facebook | Twitter | Blog

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 08:14:25 AM »
Switching back to Cozy for a bit with Bun for Your Life and Raisin the Dead (Bread and Batter Mystery Series) by Karoline Barrett.

Offline Natasha Holme

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Lesbian Crush Diaries
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 09:06:57 AM »
Waking Up: Searching for Spirituality Without Religion, by Sam Harris.

An intellectually challenging but rewarding read.

Natasha Holme, Author
Lesbian Crush Diaries series

Website | Goodreads | Twitter | Facebook

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 08:49:39 AM »
Alexandra Ivy's Guardians of Eternity series

Offline LauraFreeman

• View Profile
    • Home Page
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 09:08:43 AM »
I`ve started "Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy)" by  Ken Follett and can`t stop! Can`t say in two words about this book, just add a little description:"...The first in Ken Follett's bestselling Century Trilogy, Fall of Giants is a huge novel that follows five families through the world-shaking dramas of the First World War, the Russian Revolution, and the struggle for votes for women".  Recommend to all  8)
The main features of our company that provide help for students with solving accounting assignment are:
On-Time Delivery
24/7 Live Help
All Accounting Subjects
Plagiarism-Free Work
Best Price Guarantee
Top Quality Work
Unlimited Revisions
Safe Payment Options

Offline Marc Rokoff

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 09:49:12 AM »
Just like LauraFreeman on this thread, I'm reading Ken Follett's century trilogy. Almost done with "Fall of Giants".
I decided to read this because Follett is a master plotter and, as a writer, my 2017 goal is to weave characters together through tight plotting.

Also, it is not science fiction. I think it's important to get out of your usual genre sometimes.
And Follett really knows how to tell a story. Check him out!!!!

Marc Rokoff | Twitter | Google+

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
    • Goodreads
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 03:10:34 PM »
I am almost finished with Viola Carr's The Diabolical Miss Hyde, a steampunk penny-dreadful novel. It started well but now it feels way too long, despite the non-stop action and many unpleasant things happening. I cannot help feeling everyone would be much happier if they could just occasionally sit down and have some tea or something.

Offline MWFebook

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 01:29:59 PM »
I h ave been trying to read all the Alex Cross series from James Patterson. I have a lot to go.

Offline Suffolk Steven

• Suffolk, UK
    • View Profile
    • Steven Smith - author
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 12:54:28 PM »
Reading The Ghost Road, the final book in Pat Barker's Regeneration trilogy.

Offline rchapman1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
    • ritaleechapman.com
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 02:53:34 PM »
Dust of the Land by J.H. Fletcher, set in Australia. I just finished The Governor's House by the same author and was very impressed.
Rita Lee Chapman
[=Missing in Egypt=]
  Dangerous Associations

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 08:03:59 AM »
I've just finished two completely contrasting autobiographies, one read on Kindle, the other I listened to the audiobook.

Hons & Rebels by Jessica Mitford. I knew of her more famous sisters, Diana and Unity - known primarily for their support of Hitler and fascism in general - but I didn't really know much about Jessica, who in contrast was fervently anti fascist and pro communist. This is the first of two autobiographies and covers her childhood and on up to the first years of WW2. I'm tempted to say that the Mitfords were a dysfunctional family but I suspect they were probably pretty 'normal' by the standards of their class in that era. What is clear is that most of the children (six girls and one boy) were all very intelligent and certainly in the girls' cases severely under-educated. Jessica constantly complains about not being sent to school and is frustrated by the constraints of childhood. She couldn't wait to hit eighteen and get out into the world - and it's at that point that her story does become more interesting. What she packs into those first four or five years of her adult life, mostly spent in Spain and the US, is fascinating.

Spectacles by Sue Perkins. This audiobook is read by the author herself and it's probably that that makes it so enjoyable. Sue is perhaps best known (especially in the US) as one half of the presenting team on The Great British Bake Off, along with Mel Giedroyc, but there's been more to her career than that. Not all authors make good narrators (Jodi Taylor on that St Mary's prequel springs to mind) but thankfully Sue does. It's mostly lighthearted - after all, she is a comedian by trade - but there are also some deeper, sadder moments.
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Offline 9 Diamonds

• View Profile
    • 9 Diamonds Press
What are you reading at the moment?
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 10:52:25 PM »
I'm reading my way through Dorothy L. Sayers's Lord Peter Wimsey novels on the Kindle, and some old first editions I have of them in our home library. Currently I'm totally engrossed in Murder Must Advertise. Love Sayers.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 11:00:14 PM by 9 Diamonds »

Offline Adam Horne

• View Profile
Re: What are you reading at the moment?
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 11:35:37 PM »
I'm rereading Orson Scott Card's books on writing: Characters and Viewpoint and Writing Fantasy & Science Fiction. I'm looking for inspiration for my next novel.

Adam Horne | facebook

Online RightHoJeeves

• Perth
    • View Profile
    • Lawson Copywriting
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 12:05:36 AM »
The Atlantis Gene. Its pretty good. Quite silly, but a definite page turner.

James Lawson

Online cecilia_writer

• Edinburgh
    • View Profile
    • Cecilia Peartree - woman of mystery (blog)
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 01:21:56 AM »
I'm reading my way through Dorothy L. Sayers's Lord Peter Wimsey novels on the Kindle, and some old first editions I have of them in our home library. Currently I'm totally engrossed in Murder Must Advertise. Love Sayers.

These are some of my all-time favourites. I re-read Have His Carcase not long ago because I needed to remind myself of the secret code details, and it was just as fantastic as the first time.

I am alternating between binge reading historical romance and reading a thriller set in 1947 in Berlin (again for research I'm afraid).

Offline 9 Diamonds

• View Profile
    • 9 Diamonds Press
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2017, 01:31:32 AM »
These are some of my all-time favourites. I re-read Have His Carcase not long ago because I needed to remind myself of the secret code details, and it was just as fantastic as the first time.

I am alternating between binge reading historical romance and reading a thriller set in 1947 in Berlin (again for research I'm afraid).

Have His Carcase is great fun; I love the way LPW's relationship with Harriet is struggling to take off, and the way she handles the discovery of the body :-) .

Offline Bevallen16

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2017, 04:30:38 PM »
I binged on the new Ben Aaronovitch  "The Hanging Tree" and laughed myself sick over Jodi Taylor's "My Name is Markham". I will probably start the whole Rivers of London series again to make sure I have not missed a clue.

Offline Natasha Holme

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Lesbian Crush Diaries
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2017, 01:36:17 PM »
Handbook to Higher Consciousness by Ken Keyes Jr.

Computer Science: A Very Short Introduction by Subrata Dasgupta

Natasha Holme, Author

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
  • Member #3406
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2017, 03:35:22 PM »
I've been reading John Lewis' (with Michael D'Orso) Walking with the Wind - A Memoir of the Movement.  It is not available as an e-book. I bought it in paperback a good while ago and it was sitting in my best book case.

https://www.amazon.com/Walking-Wind-Movement-John-Lewis/dp/1476797714/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1485646436&sr=1-1&keywords=john+lewis

New York, NY
Flutist, Legal Services Professional
Readers:  Paperwhite 2 (2013), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline ASDeMatteis

• Las Vegas
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2017, 09:17:11 AM »
So far, I just started The Throne of Glass series. Only about halfway through the first book, but I like it!

Offline Natasha Holme

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Lesbian Crush Diaries
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2017, 07:27:43 AM »
Have only read non-fiction so far in 2017. Currently ...

All Love: A Guidebook for Healing with Sekhem-Seichim-Reiki and SKHM by Diane Ruth Shewmaker

Numbers: A Very Short Introduction by Peter M. Higgins

Natasha Holme, Author

Offline CMH

• UK
    • View Profile
    • C. M. Harald blog
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2017, 11:06:35 AM »
So far listened to Grisham's 'The Appeal' on Audible and now going through Clavell's 'Shogun', which I last read 20 years ago.

On my Kindle I'm charging through the Cornwell "Last Kingdom' series and have managed 'Last Kingdom' and the 'Pale Horseman'.  Currently on 'The Lords of the North'.

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
    • Goodreads
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2017, 01:43:32 PM »
I finished The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, a somewhat ambitious and self-indulgent Murakami's novel. Some people were upset over 60 pages were cut off from the English translation. I'd say, some additional cuts were needed. The first half is very engaging, then it just goes downhill in my opinion. Great writing, very readable, but also manipulative, cold and inhabited by flat and empty shells of characters. Three stars from me. Worth reading for the experience.

And what a relief it was to get to the Invisible Library sequel, The Masked City. After all that pretentious post-modern magical realism (without much magic or realism), finally a good plot, logical behavior of competent people, nice and not too nice dragons, and an alternative-world Venice  :) Between those 2 books, I know which one I'd take to a desert island.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2017, 07:16:40 PM »
I'm starting on Prince Lestat and the Realms of Atlantis next.

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2017, 08:04:12 AM »
The Invisible Library (The Invisible Library series Book 1) by Genevieve Cogman. I got this book a while ago on the recommendation of several members here and finally got around to reading it. Or at least I read about half of it. Somehow it wasn't the story I imagined it to be - I prefer more sci-fi than fantasy and the introduction of the Fae and dragons etc wasn't doing it for me at all. There was so much going on, so many characters and I felt that, at times, the author was losing track of her own plot - or maybe just wasn't explaining it very well. Or maybe I was having a lazy/stupid day.  ;D

Whatever it was, I just couldn't be bothered to finish it - too many books out there and I'm not getting any younger!   :o

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2017, 05:40:12 PM »
The Running Man by Stephen King

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2017, 04:11:38 PM »
The Girl with the Cat Tattoo

Offline Natasha Holme

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Lesbian Crush Diaries
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2017, 12:53:11 PM »
Tara Road by Maeve Binchy.

Natasha Holme, Author

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2017, 06:51:33 AM »
Blackwater Lights

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2017, 04:48:14 PM »
The last 3 books in Monster Haven Series by RL Naquin.

Offline Susan Alison

• Bristol, UK
  • Romantic comedy, fantasy & colouring books
    • View Profile
    • Susan Alison Books and Art
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2017, 01:48:32 AM »

Romantic comedy, fantasy, colouring books, illustrated doggerel, short stories
Susan Alison | website | Corgis Rule! colouring book | facebook | facebook again | Twitter | Pinterest | contact me | subscribe to news | blog

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2017, 04:27:22 AM »
The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood

I want to read that one soon, the Hulu series starts April 26.

Offline Susan Alison

• Bristol, UK
  • Romantic comedy, fantasy & colouring books
    • View Profile
    • Susan Alison Books and Art
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2017, 04:33:09 AM »
I want to read that one soon, the Hulu series starts April 26.

Ooh - I didn't know that. I look forward to it getting somewhere where I can see it.

Romantic comedy, fantasy, colouring books, illustrated doggerel, short stories
Susan Alison | website | Corgis Rule! colouring book | facebook | facebook again | Twitter | Pinterest | contact me | subscribe to news | blog

Offline CMH

• UK
    • View Profile
    • C. M. Harald blog
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2017, 08:25:43 AM »
Ok, a new Star Wars book.  I couldn't resist it...

Offline PrimulaHortensis

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2017, 10:27:40 AM »
I started this early in the year

and am desperate to get back to it,

but am currently reading

for a course.  It's good; I've never been a fan of Hardy's but I'm learning to appreciate his style.

Offline JeanetteRaleigh

• View Profile
    • Jeanette Raleigh
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2017, 05:25:57 PM »
I've been reading the Darcy Lott mysteries by Susan Dunlap.  They are great mysteries with a fresh character (a stunt-woman who practices Zen and who also has a depth of personal and family issues that give the story line across the series an interesting backdrop).  I'm not usually a fan of mysteries because I find the characters and plot dull.  Heather Graham has been one of the few mystery writers who could hold my interest across a series, but now Susan Dunlap has joined her on my awesome mystery writer list.

Moon Struck is currently FREE

Offline barryem

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2017, 06:54:58 PM »
I've never been a fan of Hardy's but I'm learning to appreciate his style.

I read my first Thomas Hardy book when I was in my 20s, more than half a century ago.  It was "Jude the Obscure" and at the time I thought it was one of the best books I'd ever read.  Even though I usually re-read favorite books every few years I've never read it again.  I think I'm afraid to be disappointed.  It was that good.

I've read quite a few of his other books and liked them all a lot, but not the way I liked "Jude".  I don't think I can call Hardy a favorite author but he's sure a special one.

Barry

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2017, 09:00:37 AM »
I'm going to miss the characters from the Monster Haven series.

I am getting ready to start reading The Handmaid's Tale.

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2017, 07:11:27 PM »
Stacy Justice mysteries

Offline ginwilli

• Indiana
  • Auto-Biographical, Romantical & Historical Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Rosepoint Publishing
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2017, 03:14:27 PM »
In February, I read "So Much Owed" by Jean Grainger and it may well be my favorite of the year. There is a lot of year to go yet, but usually that initial reaction doesn't change much. It actually begins at the end of WW1 and spans into WW2 with a second generation of an Irish family out of Cork. Whether or not you are into historical fiction, I think you'd enjoy as well.

Stanley McShane | Rosepoint Publishing

Offline Natasha Holme

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Lesbian Crush Diaries
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2017, 03:47:07 AM »
Life After Life by Kate Atkinson

Natasha Holme, Author

Offline ginwilli

• Indiana
  • Auto-Biographical, Romantical & Historical Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Rosepoint Publishing
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2017, 05:49:56 PM »
Guess I should have mentioned that so far this year I've also read:
1) Heroine - A S Bond
2) Cat in the Flock - Lisa Burnette
3) Growth & Change Are Highly Overrated - Tom Starita
4) Stone Song, the Life of Crazy Horse - Win Blevins
5) Dear Willy - Claire Gehab
6) After You're Dear - Cary Allen Stone
7) The Eye of Nefertiti - Maria Luisa Lang
8) Choices and Illusions by Dr. Eldon Taylor
9) Burke's War by William F Brown
I read a lot as I've asked for reviews. However, the one I'm reading now is a major hoot and definitely becoming one of my favorites:
How Existentialism Almost Killed Me - Michael Bernhart

Stanley McShane | Rosepoint Publishing

Offline Natasha Holme

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Lesbian Crush Diaries
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2017, 08:50:26 AM »

Natasha Holme, Author

Offline MartaDec

• Poland
    • View Profile
    • Graphic Design & Illustration
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2017, 09:36:17 AM »
Currently reading "Shady Characters" about typography by Keith Houston, and "The faster I walk, the smaller I am" by Kjerti Annesdatter Skomsvold - uni took over even my reading time. :P

The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood

I've had this one on my list since forever - I have to finally get my hands on it!
Graphic Designer and Illustrator.
http://martadec.eu

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2017, 04:24:55 AM »
Flowertown

Offline matthew scanlon

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2017, 10:26:17 AM »
Brent Weeks Blood Mirror and awaiting to read Brain McClellan Sins of the Emprie

Offline Tahereh K.V. Dehkordi

• Mashhad
  • Pen the best tool
    • View Profile
    • dastanan
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2017, 04:43:21 AM »
The Masnavi poem book. It is full of nice and meaningful stories. Many of its stories is conveyed through dialogues presented by its characters.
archaeology, astronomy and biology are in the same way: being human
http://www.enahang.ir/dastanan.htm

Offline Natasha Holme

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Lesbian Crush Diaries
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2017, 07:57:58 AM »
Girl Meets Boy by Ali Smith.

Natasha Holme, Author

Offline katliss

• View Profile
    • Katrina Liss
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2017, 02:22:24 PM »
Just finished Pepper Winters Crown of Lies. Kind of disappointed at the ending. Not desperate to read part two atm. But I guess i will.

Katrina Liss

Offline Natasha Holme

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Lesbian Crush Diaries
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2017, 12:57:23 PM »
Armada by Ernest Cline. It's the follow-up to the excellent Ready Player One. Really enjoying it.

Natasha Holme, Author

Offline CMH

• UK
    • View Profile
    • C. M. Harald blog
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2017, 02:44:05 AM »
Armada by Ernest Cline. It's the follow-up to the excellent Ready Player One. Really enjoying it.

A great pair of stories, although I listened to them on Audible.

Have just started A Tale of Two Cities...... on Kindle as I've not read any Dickens for years.  Also just started a Kim Stanley Robinson on Audible:

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2017, 06:23:44 AM »
Steve Berry's latest Cotton Malone thriller was released this week and I couldn't put it down until finished.  If you are a fan of history-based thrillers, a la Steve Berry and Dan Brown, I thought this one is one of Berry's best!  The fictional story in light of current U.S. political posturing really grabbed me.  I also enjoyed Berry's remarks after the story finished.  He goes through most of the main plot points and cites his research as to what are facts interwoven with the fiction.

One interesting fact that is part of the story that I did not know is that the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court is automatically the Chancellor of the Smithsonian.

A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2017, 06:35:35 AM »
Steve Berry's latest Cotton Malone thriller was released this week and I couldn't put it down until finished.  If you are a fan of history-based thrillers, a la Steve Berry and Dan Brown, I thought this one is one of Berry's best!  The fictional story in light of current U.S. political posturing really grabbed me.  I also enjoyed Berry's remarks after the story finished.  He goes through most of the main plot points and cites his research as to what are facts interwoven with the fiction.

One interesting fact that is part of the story that I did not know is that the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court is automatically the Chancellor of the Smithsonian.

I read the first of that series and then just haven't gotten back -- though I recall I liked it. I'll have to get back into it. :) I think this is another case of "so many books/series; so little time!" ;D

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2017, 07:11:19 AM »
I read the first of that series and then just haven't gotten back -- though I recall I liked it. I'll have to get back into it. :) I think this is another case of "so many books/series; so little time!" ;D

I confess to being a big Steve Berry fan, so he is an auto-buy for me.  I know some folks will say the $14.99 release price is out of their Kindle-price comfort range, but it's still less than I would have paid for the hardback and there are 4 (including me) people on my account that were/are all reading it as soon as it was available.  So, definitely worth the money to us rather than waiting in the long, long library line.

The Jefferson Key was probably my least favorite of the Cotton Malone books because it was less believable, but as I said earlier, I think The Lost Order may be one of his best.  The historical facts woven into a modern-day scenario are fascinating.  I highly recommend you get back into the series!
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2017, 05:57:59 AM »
I confess to being a big Steve Berry fan, so he is an auto-buy for me.  I know some folks will say the $14.99 release price is out of their Kindle-price comfort range, but it's still less than I would have paid for the hardback and there are 4 (including me) people on my account that were/are all reading it as soon as it was available.  So, definitely worth the money to us rather than waiting in the long, long library line.

The Jefferson Key was probably my least favorite of the Cotton Malone books because it was less believable, but as I said earlier, I think The Lost Order may be one of his best.  The historical facts woven into a modern-day scenario are fascinating.  I highly recommend you get back into the series!

I'm also a lapsed Cotton Malone fan. In fact The Jefferson Key is next for me - I bought it a while ago but haven't read it yet. The plus side of being way behind in the series is that the earlier books are considerably cheaper than the new release.

Offline Natasha Holme

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Lesbian Crush Diaries
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2017, 12:38:45 PM »
Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell

Viva la revolucion!

Natasha Holme, Author

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2017, 01:44:27 PM »
I just finished which is volume 2 of the series; you should start here:

The series defies categorization -- elements of fantasy, steam punk, classic mystery, sci fi . . . Kindle editions aren't cheap, at $11.99 but volume one occasionally goes on sale, and they are available through Overdrive. I've already got on the queue for volume 3 at my locals. :)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline LauraB

• midwest, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2017, 08:03:13 AM »
I just finished which is volume 2 of the series; you should start here:

The series defies categorization -- elements of fantasy, steam punk, classic mystery, sci fi . . . Kindle editions aren't cheap, at $11.99 but volume one occasionally goes on sale, and they are available through Overdrive. I've already got on the queue for volume 3 at my locals. :)

On am next on waiting list at library for the first in series then if I like it I will buy the others.
Books read in 2010: 43 2011: 42 + the Bible 2012: 60; books read 2013:56*

Offline LauraB

• midwest, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2017, 08:06:28 AM »
I am reading The Game of Kings, by Dorothy Dunnett. I'm only about 20% in, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2017, 05:13:09 AM »
I am reading The Game of Kings, by Dorothy Dunnett. I'm only about 20% in, but I'm enjoying it so far.

I read this series - The Lymond Chronicles - many years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it - and the author's other series Niccolo. Neither of them are by any means light reading in any sense. (Pre-kindle, even the paperbacks were like doorstops). The wealth of historical detail, the complexity yet subtlety of plot are unrivalled. But if you love your history and a good, (very) long, intelligent yarn then I urge you to give them a go.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2017, 10:30:55 AM »
I read this series - The Lymond Chronicles - many years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it - and the author's other series Niccolo. Neither of them are by any means light reading in any sense. (Pre-kindle, even the paperbacks were like doorstops). The wealth of historical detail, the complexity yet subtlety of plot are unrivalled. But if you love your history and a good, (very) long, intelligent yarn then I urge you to give them a go.

Looks like I bought it 5 and a half years to go. I suppose this means I should move it up the TBR pile. ::) :o

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline DmGuay

• OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2017, 09:58:00 AM »
I got some recommendations on Goodreads lately, and I totally loved all the books so I thought I'd share.  Most fall into PNR or dark fantasy genres...

Karma Girl by Jennifer Estep-- superhero/reporter  love story with a lot of humor and a well-done plot

Nerd in Shining Armor by Vicki Lewis Thompson-- funny and fun love story of a nerd and his crush stranded on a Hawaiian island after a plane crash.

The Young Elites by Marie Lu-- very dark fantasy. Virus ravages mankind, some kids get super powers

Laerka by Laura Bendoly -- A retelling of The Little Mermaid, with human trafficking theme, set in modern-day Savannah,Georgia.

Also, a lady in my writing group just released something that is totally not my normal genre, but I'm intrigued enough to at least check it out. Middle grade Christian fantasy, with a coloring book! Yeah. Curiosity piqued.  GNOMELING, THE TALES OF CHRISTIAN TOMPTA,
Jesse Resurrected. Guardians of Salt Creek Book 2: 100%

Charity, Unchained: Guardians of Salt Creek historical novel: 10%

Jesse, Released: Guardians of Salt Creek book 3: 30%
D.M. Guay | Web site

Offline Leighhecking

• Rutherford, NJ
    • View Profile
    • Leigh Hecking
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2017, 09:00:52 AM »
Just finished reading Strange the Dreamer and loved it.  I stayed up late to finish reading it.  The short chapters and interesting characters made it impossible to put down.

Leigh Hecking

Offline LGOULD

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2017, 11:39:52 AM »
I've been enjoying I Am Brian Wilson, in which the creative genius of the Beach Boys provides an amazingly revealing portrait of his personal and professional ups and downs, as well as his lifelong struggle with mental illness.

Offline tessa j jones

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2017, 06:55:18 PM »

Recently, I read Lunora and the Monster King by H.S. Crow

It was brilliant, honestly one of the best reads me and my daughter have had. I tried going on reddit to search for other books like it, but this is actually one of those rare books that has nothing to compare it to... I guess if I were to say similarity, I'd give it a cross between Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland, and Beauty and the Beast, but even those comparisons give it no justice.  :(

I wanted to share my experience, and connect with other readers that also read this book. I'm also a huge fan of His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman, and George Orwell's 1984 <3

Check the goodreads where I wrote a lovely Review: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34776015-lunora-and-the-monster-king

Amazon link in case you liked it, but I think there's a giveaway on goodreads that H.S. Crow announced. I'm not totally sure about it... but it's worth a check. Either way, I highly recommend the paperback because of the artistic and beautiful placement of the art inside the book. I felt that the kindle took away from it, but 99cents was a good investment to check out if the book was worth the buy, and it was.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998822515/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0998822515&linkCode=as2&tag=crow089-20&linkId=e64b97c8e1178de44f8e2ab100e1180a

**Art is not owned by me, it's owned by H.S. Crow and his artist Ashe**

Offline Ellie Lynn

• Contemporary and Historical Romance Author
    • View Profile
    • Ellie Lynn
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2017, 11:31:11 PM »
I'm loving James Rollins' Sigma series. I'm on the 7th one in the series right now, Devil Colony.

Ellie
Under a Calico Moon: 78%

Highland Rogue: 30%
Ellie Lynn | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline CMH

• UK
    • View Profile
    • C. M. Harald blog
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2017, 07:54:00 AM »
Just started on Larry Bond's 'Red Phoenix'.  I read it years ago, but it turned up cheap on Kindle the other week along with a very delayed sequel.

Offline Natasha Holme

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Lesbian Crush Diaries
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2017, 09:28:18 AM »
Love Virtually by Daniel Glattauer, a book written entirely in emails.

Natasha Holme, Author

Offline DaveCullen

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • Columbine
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2017, 03:12:40 PM »
Lucia Berlin's "A Manual For Cleaning Women." (Short stories.)

Offline Natasha Holme

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Lesbian Crush Diaries
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2017, 07:55:06 AM »
Lucia Berlin's "A Manual For Cleaning Women." (Short stories.)

Could you expand on that book title? ...

Natasha Holme, Author

Offline Natasha Holme

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Lesbian Crush Diaries
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2017, 07:57:04 AM »
Ammonite by Nicola Griffith
(lesbian science-fiction)

Natasha Holme, Author

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2017, 08:25:59 AM »
It's been ages since I posted, so here's a taste of what I've been reading. Another one of my long lists. Sorry!  :-[

The Seventh Plague: A Sigma Force Novel by James Rollins. Despite being the 12th in the series, the quality seems to be holding up. An enjoyable, if slightly implausible adventure romp.

Summary Justice by John Fairfax. An unusual murder trial - the defence barrister is himself a convicted murderer. I listened to the audiobook and thought it was pretty good.

Moral Defense (Samantha Brinkman Book 2) by Marcia Clark. Second in the Brinkman series, written by the real life prosecutor in the OJ Simpson trial. Her main protanganist in these books is a defence barrister. I have no idea how much of Ms. Clark's character is included in her fictional creation, but let's just say she's the kind of woman you'd want defending you, but not perhaps someone you'd actually want to be friends with. For more of an insight into her character, be sure to read book 1 in the series first.

High Force: A DCI Ryan Mystery (The DCI Ryan Mysteries Book 5) by L J Ross. Police procedural / thriller. This book begins pretty much where the last one ended and finally brings that story arc to a conclusion. I'll be interested to see if the author continues with these characters in a different storyline.

And The Rest is History: Time Travel Meets History In This Explosive Bestselling Series (The Chronicles of St Mary's Series Book 8 ) by Jodi Taylor. Yet another instalment in the continuing story of the disaster magnets of St Mary's. Lot's of laughs, despite quite a dark storyline at times. Many an unexpected turn of events, some resolved, some not. I loved it. I know some US readers have been unable to get the Kindle version because of formatting issues. I hope you get your St. Mary's fix soon!

Down Under: Travels in a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson. I've read most of Bill Bryson's books and can't think of one I didn't like. I read most of his travelogues pre Kindle days, but I realised recently this one had escaped the net and I managed to get the ebook from the library. I really enjoyed it - not only some fascinating facts about Australia, but he manages to be humourous without losing sight of the need to be informative.

Dying Games (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book 6) by Steve Robinson. An bit of a departure from the previous books in the series, in that there was very little historical element to this. Rather than having to sort out one single genealogical mystery, our hero has to work out several smaller ones - clues to where a serial killer will strike next, all the while knowing he's probably the last name on said list.

Offline Natasha Holme

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Lesbian Crush Diaries
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2017, 12:29:07 PM »
Every Seventh Wave by Daniel Glattauer--the sequel to Love Virtually--which is also written entirely as emails.

Natasha Holme, Author

Offline deckard

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2017, 04:44:48 PM »
Rereading _For Whom the Bell Tolls_

Offline LauraB

• midwest, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2017, 06:50:19 PM »
Rereading _For Whom the Bell Tolls_

I really loved that book.

I'm reading Lizzie. I'm about 25% in and liking it so far.

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2017, 07:23:40 AM »
The Sixth Window by Rachel Abbott. One of her better books I think. The suspense builds and builds and with each new revelation you think you know who the bad guys are, but it keeps changing all the time. The twists keep on coming, right up to the last page. The main police characters are the same in each book, but the stories are stand alone - I don't think you need to have read any of the others (I haven't read them all) to enjoy this one. Recommended.

Offline JessieCar

• UK
    • View Profile
    • shamansland
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2017, 07:18:24 PM »
I'm currently reading Emperor of the Fireflies by Sarah Ash.

It's the second book in her Tide Dragons series, based on Japanese mythology. The dragons are water-based rather than fiery. I really love the book, especially as one of the main characters is a Kitsune, or fox spirit!
Jessica Rydill | shamansland | Facebook

Offline happybana

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2017, 01:38:03 PM »
A busy life, ADD, and the golden age of TV have conspired to keep me from finishing a book since the hunger games trilogy came out, but I am currently reading the following:

Carl Sagan / The Demon Haunted World
Margaret Atwood / The Handmaid's Tale
Giovanni Bocaccio / The Decameron
The Memoirs of Harriette Wilson Volumes One and Two Written By Herself

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline D.P. Prior

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2017, 03:03:40 PM »
I am re-reading Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton. In spite of reading it several times before, I'm still surprised by the prose and astonished by some of the ideas. It feels like the first time I've read some of the chapters.

I've also been dipping into some modern fantasy: John Gwynne (Malice), Daniel Abraham and one or two others. trying to reignite my former passion for the genre.
D.P. Prior was born in Eastbourne in the south of England, spent a few years in Australia, and now lives in Florida, USA. A former actor, musician, psychiatric nurse, personal trainer, and fiction editor, he now writes full-time.
Represented by Laurie McLean (http://fuseliterary.com)
D.P. Prior | Blog | Website | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Instagram | Mailing List

Offline Thomas Watson

• Tucson, AZ USA
    • View Profile
    • Under Desert Stars
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2017, 06:28:31 AM »
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. Recently saw and enjoyed the film, and will soon be able to say I read and enjoyed the book. It's so often one or the other - this is a refreshing change.
Weblog - Under Desert Stars                     

Offline rishisriram

• Irving, TX
  • Author of Mystical Trials
    • View Profile
    • MysticalTrials
« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2017, 02:23:06 PM »
The Dark Prophecy by Rick Riordan

Offline Jennifer R P

• Northern Virginia
    • View Profile
    • Jennifer R. Povey
« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2017, 02:55:16 PM »
Currently reading Diana Bastine's trilogy Source/Shapeshifter/Selkie (no series name). Sadly, I'm less than impressed :/.

Offline D.P. Prior

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2017, 01:20:59 PM »
Currently re-reading The Four men by Hilaire Belloc and Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton (for the umpteenth time). Needed a break from Fantasy fiction.
D.P. Prior was born in Eastbourne in the south of England, spent a few years in Australia, and now lives in Florida, USA. A former actor, musician, psychiatric nurse, personal trainer, and fiction editor, he now writes full-time.
Represented by Laurie McLean (http://fuseliterary.com)
D.P. Prior | Blog | Website | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Instagram | Mailing List

Offline Ryan W. Mueller

• Missour, United States
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2017, 11:43:08 AM »
Currently, I've been making the most progress in A Warrior's Penance by Davis Ashura. It's the last book in a trilogy that I've enjoyed quite a bit.

Offline dbonline

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Tablets
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2017, 09:22:48 AM »
To be honest this book isn't knew it was released in 2001 but it is still one I enjoy to this day, Touching Spirit Bear written by Ben Mikaelsen, I have read this book almost one thousand times over, I can never put it down, I am always drawn in my the story and how compelling the main character is.

Offline Avis Black

• View Profile
    • Avis Black on Wordpress
« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2017, 08:40:30 PM »
I recently finished A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountians (Illustrated) by Isabella Bird.

Bird was an unsually adventurous women for her times, since she lived in the 1800s, and she travelled all over the world and wrote a whole string of books about what she saw.  Her books have been piled on my ereader for a long while, and I've finally gotten around to finishing one of them.  I thought it was a solid piece of work, if a little dry, and certainly not a picnic.  She spent a lot of time wandering around in freezing, near-blizzard conditions, which I can't imagine doing for the fun of it.  Nor can I imagine what Estes Park must have been like in the middle of winter in a shack with no central heating and very short rations.  Bird also came across several doubtful characters, including one notorious outlaw of her day.  All in all, I'd say it's a notch better than reading about what happened to the Donner Party. 

Bird is mentioned by W. H. Davenport Adams in his book Celebrated Women Travellers of the Nineteenth Century  The latter is a rare choice of topic for an author of his era.  I've read some of it, and my eventual goal is to slowly work my way through the original accounts written by these female explorers. 

Writer of literary gay romance and comedy
Click here to find my books on Kindle Unlimited

Offline Natasha Holme

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Lesbian Crush Diaries
« Reply #90 on: Yesterday at 07:59:27 AM »
You by Caroline Kepnes

Natasha Holme, Author