KB Featured Book
My Claw is Quick
by R. S. Pyne

$1.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-08-29
Bestseller ranking: 3229473

Product Description
A hard-boiled detective story with a difference - Grimalkin is not your usual PI. Four legs, whiskers and a tail, perfect night vision and a talent for breaking and entering .... and a track record of crazy dames trying to kill him. He is also the only cat in history with a clown phobia. The case takes an even weirder twist when it becomes clear that a power-crazed parrot is calling all the shots. Sam Spade never had to deal with hysterical gerbil witnesses, pirate assassins or death by custard.

At 10,250 words in length, this is the first in a series of short stories featuring a very unconventional Private Investigator....

Author Topic: So, what are you reading in 2017?  (Read 10227 times)  

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
So, what are you reading in 2017?
« on: January 01, 2017, 05:00:08 AM »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
Re: So, what are you reading in 2017?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 05:14:00 AM »
I'll be starting the year off with the first 6 books of Sherrilyn Kenyon's Chronicles of Nick series.

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 10:33:43 AM »
A Broken Vessel: Julian Kestral #2 (Julian Kestrel) by Kate Ross. Set in Regency London with an unusual 'detective'. I do enjoy this particular series of historical mysteries but I have to keep waiting for them appear as a 'daily deal' or something similar because they're relatively expensive and never available on KOLL or KU.

As the Crow Flies (The DI Nick Dixon Crime Series Book 1) by Damien Boyd. Another new police procedural series I've started. Not bad, will probably read some more.

My Name is Markham: A Chronicles of St Mary's Short Story by Jodi Taylor. As it says, this is just a short story in this series but, as many of you will know, I'm a big fan of all things St Mary's. I listened to the audiobook of this as well as reading it - in fact can I recommend that any fans who might want to re-read this series do the same. The narrator, Zara Ramm, does a brilliant job of conveying Max's personality and especially the dry humour of the series. Having said that, this is the first book not to be told from Max's point of view and therefore has a different narrator, Piers Wehner. I was a little worried about that and there are a few differences in the accents etc that he gives some of the main characters but overall he's does a great job of bringing Markham to life. Another laugh out loud slice of life at St Mary's. (Guess who really burnt King Alfred's cakes?  ;D )

Conclave by Robert Harris. Another one I listened to, rather than read. I wasn't sure that a book set entirely during the conclave to elect a pope could hold my attention, but it was so fascinating, I just sped through it. And that was definitely an ending I didn't see coming!

« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 07:37:28 AM by Linjeakel »
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Offline JuliaShupe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 10:39:07 PM »
I'm way behind everyone!  Just started An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir!  Good stuff!!!  Moving right onto book 2 after this one! 

Julia Shupe | website

Offline L.T.Marshall

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 01:51:12 AM »
I'm slowly working my way through everyone of Lauren Laynes books, she's a romance writer with a lot of quirk and her books just make me smile. I've gotten through 9 so far with many more to go :) I have yet to pick my next one.
Author of The Carrero Effect
If you can't live it, write it!
L.T. Marshall | Facebook | Twitter | Blog

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 08:14:25 AM »
Switching back to Cozy for a bit with Bun for Your Life and Raisin the Dead (Bread and Batter Mystery Series) by Karoline Barrett.

Offline Natasha Holme

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Lesbian Crush Diaries
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 09:06:57 AM »
Waking Up: Searching for Spirituality Without Religion, by Sam Harris.

An intellectually challenging but rewarding read.

Natasha Holme, Author
Lesbian Crush Diaries series

Website | Goodreads | Twitter | Facebook

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 08:49:39 AM »
Alexandra Ivy's Guardians of Eternity series

Offline LauraFreeman

• View Profile
    • Home Page
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 09:08:43 AM »
I`ve started "Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy)" by  Ken Follett and can`t stop! Can`t say in two words about this book, just add a little description:"...The first in Ken Follett's bestselling Century Trilogy, Fall of Giants is a huge novel that follows five families through the world-shaking dramas of the First World War, the Russian Revolution, and the struggle for votes for women".  Recommend to all  8)
The main features of our company that provide help for students with solving accounting assignment are:
On-Time Delivery
24/7 Live Help
All Accounting Subjects
Plagiarism-Free Work
Best Price Guarantee
Top Quality Work
Unlimited Revisions
Safe Payment Options

Offline Marc Rokoff

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 09:49:12 AM »
Just like LauraFreeman on this thread, I'm reading Ken Follett's century trilogy. Almost done with "Fall of Giants".
I decided to read this because Follett is a master plotter and, as a writer, my 2017 goal is to weave characters together through tight plotting.

Also, it is not science fiction. I think it's important to get out of your usual genre sometimes.
And Follett really knows how to tell a story. Check him out!!!!

Marc Rokoff | Twitter | Google+

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
    • Goodreads
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 03:10:34 PM »
I am almost finished with Viola Carr's The Diabolical Miss Hyde, a steampunk penny-dreadful novel. It started well but now it feels way too long, despite the non-stop action and many unpleasant things happening. I cannot help feeling everyone would be much happier if they could just occasionally sit down and have some tea or something.

Offline MWFebook

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 01:29:59 PM »
I h ave been trying to read all the Alex Cross series from James Patterson. I have a lot to go.

Offline Suffolk Steven

• Suffolk, UK
    • View Profile
    • Steven Smith - author
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 12:54:28 PM »
Reading The Ghost Road, the final book in Pat Barker's Regeneration trilogy.

Offline rchapman1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
    • ritaleechapman.com
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 02:53:34 PM »
Dust of the Land by J.H. Fletcher, set in Australia. I just finished The Governor's House by the same author and was very impressed.
Rita Lee Chapman
[=Missing in Egypt=]
  Dangerous Associations

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 08:03:59 AM »
I've just finished two completely contrasting autobiographies, one read on Kindle, the other I listened to the audiobook.

Hons & Rebels by Jessica Mitford. I knew of her more famous sisters, Diana and Unity - known primarily for their support of Hitler and fascism in general - but I didn't really know much about Jessica, who in contrast was fervently anti fascist and pro communist. This is the first of two autobiographies and covers her childhood and on up to the first years of WW2. I'm tempted to say that the Mitfords were a dysfunctional family but I suspect they were probably pretty 'normal' by the standards of their class in that era. What is clear is that most of the children (six girls and one boy) were all very intelligent and certainly in the girls' cases severely under-educated. Jessica constantly complains about not being sent to school and is frustrated by the constraints of childhood. She couldn't wait to hit eighteen and get out into the world - and it's at that point that her story does become more interesting. What she packs into those first four or five years of her adult life, mostly spent in Spain and the US, is fascinating.

Spectacles by Sue Perkins. This audiobook is read by the author herself and it's probably that that makes it so enjoyable. Sue is perhaps best known (especially in the US) as one half of the presenting team on The Great British Bake Off, along with Mel Giedroyc, but there's been more to her career than that. Not all authors make good narrators (Jodi Taylor on that St Mary's prequel springs to mind) but thankfully Sue does. It's mostly lighthearted - after all, she is a comedian by trade - but there are also some deeper, sadder moments.
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Offline 9 Diamonds

• View Profile
    • 9 Diamonds Press
What are you reading at the moment?
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 10:52:25 PM »
I'm reading my way through Dorothy L. Sayers's Lord Peter Wimsey novels on the Kindle, and some old first editions I have of them in our home library. Currently I'm totally engrossed in Murder Must Advertise. Love Sayers.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 11:00:14 PM by 9 Diamonds »

Offline Adam Horne

• View Profile
Re: What are you reading at the moment?
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 11:35:37 PM »
I'm rereading Orson Scott Card's books on writing: Characters and Viewpoint and Writing Fantasy & Science Fiction. I'm looking for inspiration for my next novel.

Adam Horne | facebook

Online RightHoJeeves

• Perth
    • View Profile
    • Lawson Copywriting
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 12:05:36 AM »
The Atlantis Gene. Its pretty good. Quite silly, but a definite page turner.

James Lawson

Offline cecilia_writer

• Edinburgh
    • View Profile
    • Cecilia Peartree - woman of mystery (blog)
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 01:21:56 AM »
I'm reading my way through Dorothy L. Sayers's Lord Peter Wimsey novels on the Kindle, and some old first editions I have of them in our home library. Currently I'm totally engrossed in Murder Must Advertise. Love Sayers.

These are some of my all-time favourites. I re-read Have His Carcase not long ago because I needed to remind myself of the secret code details, and it was just as fantastic as the first time.

I am alternating between binge reading historical romance and reading a thriller set in 1947 in Berlin (again for research I'm afraid).

Offline 9 Diamonds

• View Profile
    • 9 Diamonds Press
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2017, 01:31:32 AM »
These are some of my all-time favourites. I re-read Have His Carcase not long ago because I needed to remind myself of the secret code details, and it was just as fantastic as the first time.

I am alternating between binge reading historical romance and reading a thriller set in 1947 in Berlin (again for research I'm afraid).

Have His Carcase is great fun; I love the way LPW's relationship with Harriet is struggling to take off, and the way she handles the discovery of the body :-) .

Offline Bevallen16

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2017, 04:30:38 PM »
I binged on the new Ben Aaronovitch  "The Hanging Tree" and laughed myself sick over Jodi Taylor's "My Name is Markham". I will probably start the whole Rivers of London series again to make sure I have not missed a clue.

Offline Natasha Holme

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Lesbian Crush Diaries
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2017, 01:36:17 PM »
Handbook to Higher Consciousness by Ken Keyes Jr.

Computer Science: A Very Short Introduction by Subrata Dasgupta

Natasha Holme, Author

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
  • Member #3406
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2017, 03:35:22 PM »
I've been reading John Lewis' (with Michael D'Orso) Walking with the Wind - A Memoir of the Movement.  It is not available as an e-book. I bought it in paperback a good while ago and it was sitting in my best book case.

https://www.amazon.com/Walking-Wind-Movement-John-Lewis/dp/1476797714/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1485646436&sr=1-1&keywords=john+lewis

New York, NY
Flutist, Legal Services Professional
Readers:  Paperwhite 2 (2013), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline ASDeMatteis

• Las Vegas
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2017, 09:17:11 AM »
So far, I just started The Throne of Glass series. Only about halfway through the first book, but I like it!

Offline Natasha Holme

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Lesbian Crush Diaries
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2017, 07:27:43 AM »
Have only read non-fiction so far in 2017. Currently ...

All Love: A Guidebook for Healing with Sekhem-Seichim-Reiki and SKHM by Diane Ruth Shewmaker

Numbers: A Very Short Introduction by Peter M. Higgins

Natasha Holme, Author