KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: So, what are you reading in 2017?  (Read 10211 times)  

Offline Elsye_Harwood

• View Profile
    • Elsye Harwood
Re: So, what are you reading in 2017?
« Reply #100 on: August 07, 2017, 02:30:29 PM »

Sorry not read GoT, though I do watch it.

I've recently finished Karen Maitland's, The Vanishing Witch. It was pretty good but it took a while for the plot to  really draw me in or to  feel involved with the characters.
I'm now reading another of hers The Raven's Head. I started it on Saturday morning and though I've also managed to write almost 20,000 words as well since then,  I'm already half way through.
Great book, it's well paced, and certainly keeps you turning the pages.  Probably almost up there with  her  brilliant Company Of Liars.
Historical fantasy mainly but knowing me it'll be all the ones I read as a child. Enid Blyton Scifi?
Elsye Harwood | My Blog | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Natasha Holme

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Lesbian Crush Diaries
« Reply #101 on: August 08, 2017, 08:31:57 AM »
Money by Martin Amis.

Natasha Holme, Author
Lesbian Crush Diaries series

Website | Goodreads | Twitter | Facebook

Offline A.Q.

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 08, 2017, 07:02:01 PM »
Well, just like I anticipated, I'm reading Pandora's Star... again. I really need to get a new copy of this book - it's a first edition paperback, and is pretty big (the second book I bought much later and is much smaller, at least in terms of height)
The Commonwealth Crisis: A Time to Kill: 20%
Bradley Hutchinson | Facebook

The Commonwealth Crisis: Prologue

Offline Avis Black

• View Profile
    • Avis Black on Wordpress
« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2017, 08:38:49 PM »

A Childhood In Scotland (Canongate Classics) by Christian Miller.

A very good memoir that's mainly description, but it's first-rate description. The author grew up in a Scottish castle in the 1920s, but her life sounds more like something out of the Victorian era crossed with a dose of the medieval. Her father was a brute, and her mother distant and neglectful, and she experienced a strange mixture of luxury and deprivation. The only book I can think of that resembles this one is Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake, although it's true the latter is much more baroque. In sum, I enjoyed reading Miller's book quite a lot.

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
    • Goodreads
« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2017, 09:47:10 AM »
I just finished To a Mountain in Tibet by Colin Thubron. I liked the author, his detached observations and a rather melancholic voice. This is not a descriptive "travel" book in any way, but I thought it beautifully written and well worth reading.

Offline JLWillow

• View Profile
    • J. L. Willow's Website
« Reply #105 on: September 01, 2017, 05:28:22 PM »
I'm currently reading The Good Girl and Eve! Loving both of them :) On my next list is I Remember You and Haunted. Super excited to finish out this year strong.

Offline 9 Diamonds

• View Profile
    • 9 Diamonds Press
« Reply #106 on: September 05, 2017, 04:18:54 AM »
Currently reading my way through Margery Allingham's brilliant Campion novels chronologically, on my Kindle. Totally engrossed in Death of a Ghost at present.

Online Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 09, 2017, 03:39:01 AM »
As Time Goes By by Mary Higgins Clark. The first one of this author's books I've ever read and I was disappointed. Too many coincidences to make the plot believable and easily predicted 'twists'.

Snapshot by Brandon Sanderson. Unusual sci-fi detective thriller, where the police can go back to a virtual reality ten days in the past in order to witness and therefore solve crimes. Neat little twist at the end.

Inside Job by Connie Willis. I listened to this novella on audio - enjoyable but not the best from Connie Willis.

Blink: A psychological thriller with a killer twist you'll never forget by K L Slater. Really good thriller with a few twists towards the end that I didn't see coming. Recommended.

Blackstone and the Rendezvous with Death (The Blackstone Detective series Book 1) by Sally Spencer. First in an historical detective series set in Victorian London. I enjoyed it enough to want to read more of the series.

The Cuckoo's Calling: Cormoran Strike Book 1 by Robert Galbraith. J.K. Rowling writing in a completely different genre than her more famous HP series but the last thing I expected was how dreary it would be. I finished it, but it was a bit of a slog. It's just been dramatised for TV here in the UK but even a shorter, tighter version of the story on screen failed to excite. Don't think I'll be bothering with the rest of the series.

Dark Threads of Vengeance: An Ashmole Foxe Georgian Mystery (The Ashmole Foxe Georgian Mysteries Book 2) by William Savage. The 2nd in a series of enjoyable 18th century murder mysteries, with an unusual 'detective'. Reminds me somewhat of Kate Ross' Julian Kestrel series.

Cragside: A DCI Ryan Mystery (The DCI Ryan Mysteries Book 6) by L J Ross. Part of a long running police procedural / thriller series. The characters have moved on from the previous story arc and though this is a complete case, reading between the lines there was another story brewing, so expect futher books in the series.

Finding Gobi (Main edition): The true story of a little dog and an incredible journey by Dion Leonard.  Apparently this was a global news story back in the last few months of 2016 but I managed to miss it completely and therefore it was all new to me. It's the true story of a little stray dog who managed to complete the equivalent of three marathons in extreme conditions over the course of just a few days when she decided to run alongside Dion, an Australian ultra endurance runner, as he competed in a race across the Gobi desert. And, having decided he wanted to keep her and she goes missing, of the extraordinary lengths Dion had to go through in order to find an injured Gobi and keep her safe from dognappers and other ne'er-do-wells while he navigated the endlessly frustrating bureaucracy involved in getting his new friend out of China and back to his home in Scotland. Dion also gives us an insight into his troubled childhood and the issues that it left him with and how his relationship with Gobi helped him. I pretty much read this in one sitting.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 04:28:59 PM by Linjeakel »
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Offline Natasha Holme

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Lesbian Crush Diaries
« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2017, 08:16:03 AM »
A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

Natasha Holme, Author

Online Sam Kates

• UK
  • From the land of song and dragons.
    • View Profile
    • Sam Kates
« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2017, 06:28:13 AM »
Just finished

which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Now reading Enigma by Robert Harris (which I for some reason couldn't link to the kindle edition). It's okay, but I'd have preferred more about the code-breaking and less of the romantic drama.

sam kates

Offline A.Q.

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2017, 11:39:18 PM »
I recently bought a [crap]-tonne of non-fiction books: works on the Clinton and Bush administrations, as well as biographies on those two and Reagan; Dante's Divine Comedy, Plato's Republic and Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil   

Offline 9 Diamonds

• View Profile
    • 9 Diamonds Press
« Reply #111 on: October 01, 2017, 12:07:48 AM »
The Case of the Late Pig by Margery Allingham. Wonderful, as are all her stories  :D

Offline Natasha Holme

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Lesbian Crush Diaries
« Reply #112 on: October 12, 2017, 07:50:27 AM »
Blitzed: Drugs in Nazi Germany by Norman Ohler

The Secret History by Donna Tartt

Natasha Holme, Author

Offline dbonline

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Tablets
« Reply #113 on: October 16, 2017, 08:37:02 AM »
My fiance and I are currently reading anything and everything on parenting. We have a baby girl due any day now so we are getting all the knowledge that we can. I also expect our next few years to be nothing but children's books.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
  • Member #3406
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 18, 2017, 02:40:20 AM »
Recently I read Hilary Clinton's What Happened and Katy Tur's Unbelievable: My Front-Row Seat to the Craziest Campaign in American History about the Trump campaign that she covered for NBC.

I'm currently reading Fantasyland: How America Went Haywire: A 500-Year History by Kurt Andersen.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35171984-fantasyland?from_search=true
New York, NY
Flutist, Legal Services Professional
Readers:  Paperwhite 2 (2013), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline blackcat99

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Goodreads:
« Reply #115 on: October 29, 2017, 10:39:20 AM »
Just finished Neuromancer from William Gibson - wow what a ride, if you like cyberpunk you will love it !

Now onto the second book in the sprawl trilogy (of which Neuromancer is number 1) Count Zero

Offline Natasha Holme

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Lesbian Crush Diaries
« Reply #116 on: October 30, 2017, 12:47:24 PM »
Just finished Neuromancer from William Gibson - wow what a ride, if you like cyberpunk you will love it !

Sadly, I didn't understand this book. I really want to. Might have to try it again one day. ...

Natasha Holme, Author

Offline Avis Black

• View Profile
    • Avis Black on Wordpress
« Reply #117 on: October 30, 2017, 02:30:44 PM »
I'm working on Adventures In Two Worlds by A. J. Cronin due to a recent binge of older British memoirs.

The author was a doctor in the first half of the 1900s, and he writes a bit like James Herriott, except with people instead of animals.  He later wrote several works of fiction based on his own experiences and became a popular author in his day.  His works were used in both TV and film, and I'm enjoying this memoir quite a lot.  It's recommended for anyone with an interest in medicine.

Offline A.Q.

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 30, 2017, 09:36:01 PM »
Well i just finished Judas Unchained. Not sure what I'm going to move onto now... was thinking I might start reading my collection of the Star Wars Legends books I have (still think Disney was stupid for disregarding the entire EU)

Online NogDog

• Ankh-Morpork
  • My best friend Noggin -- R.I.P.
    • View Profile
    • eBookworm.us
« Reply #119 on: October 31, 2017, 10:46:54 AM »
In honor of Halloween, I decided it's time I finally read Something Wicked This Way Comes.

(Make your own reading bar)
Music Ed. major working as a software developer -- go figure | Member since 04/30/2009 | My Blog | GoodReads page
"Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett in Night Watch

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
  • Member #3406
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 01, 2017, 01:51:15 AM »
Tonight I started reading The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead. It won a Pulitzer and National Book Award and was on the 2017 Man Booker prize longlist.

https://smile.amazon.com/Underground-Railroad-Pulitzer-Winner-National-ebook/dp/B01A4ATV0A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509525798&sr=8-1&keywords=colson+whitehead+the+underground+railroad

New York, NY
Flutist, Legal Services Professional
Readers:  Paperwhite 2 (2013), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline Natasha Holme

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Lesbian Crush Diaries
« Reply #121 on: November 07, 2017, 12:44:14 PM »
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

What a lovely tale, beautiful told.

Natasha Holme, Author

Offline LauraB

• midwest, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 11, 2017, 08:03:37 AM »
Tonight I started reading The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead. It won a Pulitzer and National Book Award and was on the 2017 Man Booker prize longlist.

https://smile.amazon.com/Underground-Railroad-Pulitzer-Winner-National-ebook/dp/B01A4ATV0A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509525798&sr=8-1&keywords=colson+whitehead+the+underground+railroad

I read that several months ago and really enjoyed it.
Books read in 2010: 43 2011: 42 + the Bible 2012: 60; books read 2013:56*

Offline LauraB

• midwest, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 11, 2017, 08:07:09 AM »
I just finished Colleen McCulloughs First Man in Rome and am now reading her second in the series The Grass Crown . Neither are available on kindle and both are around 1,000 pages, so Im getting some weight lifting in as I read.
Books read in 2010: 43 2011: 42 + the Bible 2012: 60; books read 2013:56*

Offline LGOULD

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Yesterday at 12:55:30 PM »
I'm reading The Letters of Sylvia Plath, Volume 1, 1940-1956, a huge undertaking but well worth it for anyone interested in tracing the development of a fascinating writer and personality from childhood to young adulthood. As her earliest letters home from summer camp become more and more sophisticated and descriptive, she often adds poems and drawings. She could write charming verses almost before she was writing grammatically correct sentences.